Justin Jackson getting some good press

dude12

Hall of Famer
If Justin had a lackluster game, we'd be hearing all about it. But he's played well in at least 3 of the 5 SL games, including tonight, and there's not much talk going on about him. Go figure.
We have seen this before. Tantalizing. The problem has been when he completely disappears or has a bad game. Hasn’t been much in between and if the bad games can become average/productive games, then we got something.

Not a Kings fan but a big fan of Justin Jackson.... Also, I really enjoy teams with a lot of young talent, so I like to keep an eye on the Kings.

Anyway, Justin Jackson came to UNC as the first top 5 recruit we'd landed in a little while and expectations were that he would instantly be able to score at a high clip... From my perspective, I figured that with his mid-range game and outside shooting his game would translate immediately because those are shots that are typically available if you can make them at a high clip. His freshman year, he just wasn't really that guy whether it be from lack of aggression (compared to many programs we had more veteran talent than your typical big-time program) or inefficiency from the 3-point line. You'd see flashes (his mid range floater is something to see when its on), but he just wasn't consistent or aggressive enough.

What made me fall in love with Justin was that every year he seemed to work his butt off in the off-season and made noticeable improvements and by his junior year, he took that big leap forward and really started to look to dominate. Joel Berry was the heart of that team, but Justin Jackson was the guy who could dominate and I think he realized that if he wasn't aggressive we'd never reach our potential.

To me Justin is unusual because for as good as he can be, he also just seems like a nice guy. Furthermore, he has a lot of old man in his game where he doesn't look like athletically he should be able to compete particularly at the wing position. And I think that can be difficult in a sport with a lot of alphas. Especially as a first year player on a team with a lot of young talent. And I think its only natural to assume because of all that that he doesn't have the fire or competitiveness to become a dominate player. But how many guys without that fire, work and improve in the off-season the way he did throughout college. You think he's not athletic, but go back and watch him D up Malik Monk in the NCAA tournament. At 6' 8" you don't do that against an athletic 6' 3" shooting guard without being quick.

All of this is to say, I don't know what Justin Jackson will become in the NBA, but I've been disappointed with him before and I've wanted to see more, and I've also seen him rise to my expectations. Sure he may have a little too much old school in his game, but by the same token, when you're 6' 8" those shots will always be available if you can hit them efficiently. No he's not a me first star, but Justin Jackson is the type of guy that has made the Spurs so consistently good for so long. Because he's not going to stop the ball or upset chemistry and if the offense keeps him in the flow of the game, he's going to find his rhythm and put the ball in the bucket.

Not a Kings fan but a big fan of Justin Jackson.... Also, I really enjoy teams with a lot of young talent, so I like to keep an eye on the Kings.

Anyway, Justin Jackson came to UNC as the first top 5 recruit we'd landed in a little while and expectations were that he would instantly be able to score at a high clip... From my perspective, I figured that with his mid-range game and outside shooting his game would translate immediately because those are shots that are typically available if you can make them at a high clip. His freshman year, he just wasn't really that guy whether it be from lack of aggression (compared to many programs we had more veteran talent than your typical big-time program) or inefficiency from the 3-point line. You'd see flashes (his mid range floater is something to see when its on), but he just wasn't consistent or aggressive enough.

What made me fall in love with Justin was that every year he seemed to work his butt off in the off-season and made noticeable improvements and by his junior year, he took that big leap forward and really started to look to dominate. Joel Berry was the heart of that team, but Justin Jackson was the guy who could dominate and I think he realized that if he wasn't aggressive we'd never reach our potential.

To me Justin is unusual because for as good as he can be, he also just seems like a nice guy. Furthermore, he has a lot of old man in his game where he doesn't look like athletically he should be able to compete particularly at the wing position. And I think that can be difficult in a sport with a lot of alphas. Especially as a first year player on a team with a lot of young talent. And I think its only natural to assume because of all that that he doesn't have the fire or competitiveness to become a dominate player. But how many guys without that fire, work and improve in the off-season the way he did throughout college. You think he's not athletic, but go back and watch him D up Malik Monk in the NCAA tournament. At 6' 8" you don't do that against an athletic 6' 3" shooting guard without being quick.

All of this is to say, I don't know what Justin Jackson will become in the NBA, but I've been disappointed with him before and I've wanted to see more, and I've also seen him rise to my expectations. Sure he may have a little too much old school in his game, but by the same token, when you're 6' 8" those shots will always be available if you can hit them efficiently. No he's not a me first star, but Justin Jackson is the type of guy that has made the Spurs so consistently good for so long. Because he's not going to stop the ball or upset chemistry and if the offense keeps him in the flow of the game, he's going to find his rhythm and put the ball in the bucket.
Thanks for the additional insights! I look forward to watching Justin make strides this season.

Enjoyed the insight thanks