Julius Randle

Given how Joerger likes to operate a big in the post I would think he would like to have a player like Randle to bully down low. There are not many teams with cap space this summer so I think we could make a offer to Randle. I wouldn't let the offer sit on the table for to long so we aren't used as leverage but make no mistake Randle had himself a season to warrant some big dollars. I think 20M or so either lands you Randle or at the very least puts pressure on the lakers. So what do you think about adding another wildcat to our crop?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like Randle. He did pretty good for me in my fantasy league, so I actually paid more attention to his stats than a lot of other non-Kings. Are you thinking he'll be on the market as his current team is going to make a push for LBJ? I'm just not sure the Lakers aren't sold on including him (Randle) in their plans going forward.

Given how Joerger likes to operate a big in the post I would think he would like to have a player like Randle to bully down low. There are not many teams with cap space this summer so I think we could make a offer to Randle. I wouldn't let the offer sit on the table for to long so we aren't used as leverage but make no mistake Randle had himself a season to warrant some big dollars. I think 20M or so either lands you Randle or at the very least puts pressure on the lakers. So what do you think about adding another wildcat to our crop?
I think that the Kings are high on Giles at power forward. I think we should try and develop Giles and see what we have. I think ultimately, Giles could have the higher ceiling.

Randal doesn't have an outside or 3 point shot and the Kings are already lacking in floor spacing with Fox and WCS. For all the time he spends on the low block, he is not a double digit rebounder either.

I would save the money and use it on a wing player, assuming we can't draft Doncic in the draft, or make a trade to get some draft picks or young assets with our cap space.

When I last checked, the Kings look to have around $20 million to spend in free agency this summer if they so choose (that's being conservative assuming Koufos, Temple, and Shumpert opt in -- discussions for another thread). Randle, Jabari Parker, and Aaron Gordon all present intriguing options of restricted free agents that would fit the youth movement. Of the three, I see Randle as the most likely option for the Kings.

First, I think his price will be more in the Kings' range, as opposed to Gordon. Gordon has already said he's seeking the max, which I believe is more than the Kings currently have to offer. Randle, on the other hand, was apparently interested in an extension with the Lakers around $12.4 million per year (source: Bleacher report). ESPN's Bobby Marks suggested Randle's market would be around $12-14 million per year. (source). The Kings could go a bit over that and I think it would still be a reasonable offer.

Second, I think the Lakers might be less likely to match Randle than the Magic would be to max Gordon. They've got eyes on bigger prizes in free agency, so if the Kings make an early, significant offer, the Lakers might be forced to let him go while they try to get their other ducks in order.

Now, there are rumors of strain between Parker and the Bucks, so it's possible that the Bucks would be unwilling to match a similar offer to Parker, if the Kings preferred him. I am a bit wary of Parker's injury history, however, especially with the Kings also looking to build around Giles.

I like Randle. He did pretty good for me in my fantasy league, so I actually paid more attention to his stats than a lot of other non-Kings. Are you thinking he'll be on the market as his current team is going to make a push for LBJ? I'm just not sure the Lakers aren't sold on including him (Randle) in their plans going forward.
I think ideally they would like to keep him on a team friendly deal and sign a couple of FA's but at a minimum I would like to make them pony up for him and use their cap hold on him. Still ultimately I think he fits in nicely here. To the Giles point I would say he’s more C than PF because based on the limited footage of him he looks more of a will than a skill player.

I think ideally they would like to keep him on a team friendly deal and sign a couple of FA's but at a minimum I would like to make them pony up for him and use their cap hold on him. Still ultimately I think he fits in nicely here. To the Giles point I would say he’s more C than PF because based on the limited footage of him he looks more of a will than a skill player.
I could see Joeger wanting Randal, he seems like a younger version of ZBo.

If Giles could be a Center, then signing Randal would make more sense. I guess the FO and coaching staff would know best, which is Giles best position.

I think Giles and Skal would need to show the ability to hit the 3 point shot consistently, if we were to sign Randal. Otherwise, the lane would be clogged for Fox, Hield, Bogdan (and Doncic ;)) driving to the hoop, floor spacing would be horrendous.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like him because he's an obvious upgrade from what the Kings currently have. He's not all-world in my book because in a slower game when he faces up he can be given trouble by longer players, but still, he's definitely above average for an NBA power forward. All that said, I doubt very much he comes to the Kings. He's just too good of a player for the Kings to get at this point. My guess is the Kings might get this kind of player in FA when they finally actually do get to the playoffs. Until then, Randal has greener pastures to graze.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The problem is I see is Randall is likely to want way too much money and a long contract. The good news is that this is going to be a tough offseason for free agents as there's just not a lot of teams with money to spend and several top guys that will be hitting the market.
Now if he fails to get the offers he likes he might be the guy you get to take your best offer for one year with a player option in year 2 while tries to reposition himself for a better off season 2 shop him self

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think thay should answer the question of this thread.
technically, though, if we got Randle at the expense of WCS, we wouldn't be adding another Wildcat. We'd be replacing one Wildcat with another. Or net Wildcat total (depending upon whom we choose in the draft) would remain the same. ;)

I do like the idea of Randle to take WCS spot forming a front court with Giles. Randle with his rebounding and versatility bring a lot to the team as well as passing. We’d be a very fast team as well with Randle/Fox.

A great off season for me would be to sign Randle and trade WCS/7 for Porter Jr

Fox-Bogdan-Porter-Randle-KK

I do like the idea of Randle to take WCS spot forming a front court with Giles. Randle with his rebounding and versatility bring a lot to the team as well as passing. We’d be a very fast team as well with Randle/Fox.

A great off season for me would be to sign Randle and trade WCS/7 for Porter Jr

Fox-Bogdan-Porter-Randle-KK
Who guards SFs in that lineup?

Randle is only an option if we get a stretch 5. Playing two non shooting bigs isnt winning basketball anymore.

Also if we are assuming Giles is the real deal, he will be our center so Randle should be out of question

Exactly. I can see him fitting in with us, but since it's not likely that we would land him, why not at least make the Lakers pay (more than they would want to) for him?

Randle is quite an interesting player who markedly improved his ability to finish under the basket this year, but you need to compensate for his weaknesses with your roster. Let's take a look at how he compares with his peers:
  • He's a great passer for a big man, with an AST % of 15.8% this year (top 10% of all bigs). The previous season, he had an assist rate of 19.5%. For comparison's sake, Willie possessed a 13.5% assist rate this season.
  • He's unfortunately very turnover prone @ 16.7% (good for bottom 21% of bigs), and this rate has been increasing every season. Quite plainly, he turns it over more than he creates, with the previous season being an outlier.
  • He has not been able to extend his range outside the basket, and smartly cut out the midrange shots this year, while also increasing his frequency of shots at the rim (69%) AND FG % (69%) under the basket, both putting him in the top 3rd of all bigs last season.
  • He's just an above average rebounder, but improved his offensive rebounding this season.
  • He's got a really bad Steal and Block rate, consistently ranking in the bottom 3rd for steals and bottom 25% for blocks... and this hasn't improved likely due to his physical limitations.
  • His PER has improved every year, and is just under fringe all-star level (<20) this last season.
Qualitatively, he's got some nasty in him that I like, he's been dedicated to improving his body (which tends to get out of shape quickly) and he's smartly made his game more efficient this season by cutting out the midrange shots that likely will never come.

Going into the draft, scouts questioned his ability to score at the rim due to his shots being very blockable. They were. But he's overcome this, obviously with hard work and dedication. How can you not like that?

But is he worth $15-20m? I question that - I see too many similarities between Randle and Enes Kanter. Both are highly efficient scorers who have phenomenally low block and steal rates. Randle also possesses a lack of shooting range and a penchant for coughing the ball up, which can negate his passing skills. If you throw down starter money on Randle - and he's able to maintain what he did this year - you need to have a rangy C who can block shots, get steals, take care of the ball and hit the three ball... if not at least a deadly midrange jumper.

But let's say - best case - he keeps on improving, maintains his fitness, adds a 3pt shot, cuts his turnovers and maintains his assist %. Even then, you still have a massive defensive issue with Randle due to his physical limitations. So do you bet on continued refinement, and a 3pt shot, and a shotblocking big who can cover up his defensive issues?

At this point, I think you're playing whack-a-mole with your lineup. So in my opinion, so unless you can get Randle at a tradeable value, I'd keep on looking.

Randle is quite an interesting player who markedly improved his ability to finish under the basket this year, but you need to compensate for his weaknesses with your roster. Let's take a look at how he compares with his peers:
  • He's a great passer for a big man, with an AST % of 15.8% this year (top 10% of all bigs). The previous season, he had an assist rate of 19.5%. For comparison's sake, Willie possessed a 13.5% assist rate this season.
  • He's unfortunately very turnover prone @ 16.7% (good for bottom 21% of bigs), and this rate has been increasing every season. Quite plainly, he turns it over more than he creates, with the previous season being an outlier.
  • He has not been able to extend his range outside the basket, and smartly cut out the midrange shots this year, while also increasing his frequency of shots at the rim (69%) AND FG % (69%) under the basket, both putting him in the top 3rd of all bigs last season.
  • He's just an above average rebounder, but improved his offensive rebounding this season.
  • He's got a really bad Steal and Block rate, consistently ranking in the bottom 3rd for steals and bottom 25% for blocks... and this hasn't improved likely due to his physical limitations.
  • His PER has improved every year, and is just under fringe all-star level (<20) this last season.
Qualitatively, he's got some nasty in him that I like, he's been dedicated to improving his body (which tends to get out of shape quickly) and he's smartly made his game more efficient this season by cutting out the midrange shots that likely will never come.

Going into the draft, scouts questioned his ability to score at the rim due to his shots being very blockable. They were. But he's overcome this, obviously with hard work and dedication. How can you not like that?

But is he worth $15-20m? I question that - I see too many similarities between Randle and Enes Kanter. Both are highly efficient scorers who have phenomenally low block and steal rates. Randle also possesses a lack of shooting range and a penchant for coughing the ball up, which can negate his passing skills. If you throw down starter money on Randle - and he's able to maintain what he did this year - you need to have a rangy C who can block shots, get steals, take care of the ball and hit the three ball... if not at least a deadly midrange jumper.

But let's say - best case - he keeps on improving, maintains his fitness, adds a 3pt shot, cuts his turnovers and maintains his assist %. Even then, you still have a massive defensive issue with Randle due to his physical limitations. So do you bet on continued refinement, and a 3pt shot, and a shotblocking big who can cover up his defensive issues?

At this point, I think you're playing whack-a-mole with your lineup. So in my opinion, so unless you can get Randle at a tradeable value, I'd keep on looking.
He could possibly work well next to Wendell Carter or Jaren Jackson Jr but that takes Giles out of the equation. The only real struggle I've heard from Giles' game has been his shooting so it would be a bit of a crap shoot to try and work him next to Randle while hoping he develops a long range shot.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
He could possibly work well next to Wendell Carter or Jaren Jackson Jr but that takes Giles out of the equation. The only real struggle I've heard from Giles' game has been his shooting so it would be a bit of a crap shoot to try and work him next to Randle while hoping he develops a long range shot.
I like your take. To my way of thinking if... big IF Giles is who we hope he is he actually makes a nice paring with WCS.