Jimmer's trade value

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I still think if they want to trade Jimmer, trade him to a team like the Pacers who are loaded with defense, but are questionable when it comes to off- the-bench scoring. He played well against them, so they've seen firsthand that he can be an asset.

T

Toasty

Nice site all. What do you think coaches expectations are for Jimmer? It has to be tough as a coach having a non-option player as your back-up.
Does he have an edict from upstairs or could he start jimmer if he wanted?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He's still shot so few of them on the season so far that an 0-5 night could be disastrous!
Well I suppose we could argue over it, but I would think that the one thing we wouldn't argue over is the fact that Jimmer can shoot the ball. He shot over 40% his last three years in college, coming close to finishing at 50% his last year. He shot over 40% last season and is at around 50% this season. I don't know why were even discussing this.

Well I suppose we could argue over it, but I would think that the one thing we wouldn't argue over is the fact that Jimmer can shoot the ball. He shot over 40% his last three years in college, coming close to finishing at 50% his last year. He shot over 40% last season and is at around 50% this season. I don't know why were even discussing this.
Agreed! Mine was more of a throw away comment I suppose.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If anything, the stats show how abysmal we are as a team from downtown, Jimmer aside. I'm far from a Jimmermaniac, or even really a fan, but I'd be curious to see how he'd look with more minutes. Would he continue to grow and develop as a player? I honestly don't know, but considering we're riding IT to the tune of 40+ minutes a game, it would certainly make sense for Jimmer to consistently get at least 12 per, some with Gay and Cousins, to see if there's a potential fit. He might grow into a reliable backup.

I still think if they want to trade Jimmer, trade him to a team like the Pacers who are loaded with defense, but are questionable when it comes to off- the-bench scoring. He played well against them, so they've seen firsthand that he can be an asset.
They have Granger, Scola, and Watson as the main guys off the bench. I think that's pretty good scoring options for a bench.

If anything, the stats show how abysmal we are as a team from downtown, Jimmer aside. I'm far from a Jimmermaniac, or even really a fan, but I'd be curious to see how he'd look with more minutes. Would he continue to grow and develop as a player? I honestly don't know, but considering we're riding IT to the tune of 40+ minutes a game, it would certainly make sense for Jimmer to consistently get at least 12 per, some with Gay and Cousins, to see if there's a potential fit. He might grow into a reliable backup.
His shooting is really good, but Jimmer is still barely passable in all the other areas. Feel, he could use 2-3 years in Europe: would be an impactful player there, develop floor game, plus get more than NBA minimum.
They have Granger, Scola, and Watson as the main guys off the bench. I think that's pretty good scoring options for a bench.
Yeah. This year Indiana looks particularly deep: on quite a few teams Granger, Scola, and Watson would be starters.

Granger can score, but Watson isn't my idea of a guy who can make an impact in scoring.
Watson has a half-dozen games a year where he just goes on a hot streak. He is inconsistent, but not untalented. The announcers on the Pacers feed during the Kings/Pacers game pointed out that he was something like 14/18 over the four previous games.

Indiana doesn't need him to score a bunch. That doesn't mean he can't.

Watson has a half-dozen games a year where he just goes on a hot streak. He is inconsistent, but not untalented. The announcers on the Pacers feed during the Kings/Pacers game pointed out that he was something like 14/18 over the four previous games.

Indiana doesn't need him to score a bunch. That doesn't mean he can't.
On a side note, I really liked the announcers for the Pacers. They seemed knowledgeable and didn't hesitate to give both the good and bad.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
His shooting is really good, but Jimmer is still barely passable in all the other areas. Feel, he could use 2-3 years in Europe: would be an impactful player there, develop floor game, plus get more than NBA minimum.
I may change my mind when I get to the end of the thread but I am with Spike. I have been a Jimmer fan since BYU although I think I have kept my Jimmer mania under control. My sig going up to the draft showed I wanted Jimmer. I wanted him because he could shoot and because he seemed to understand the game, the now overused high BBIQ. Jimmer in college was more than a shooter. He was not an AI. He could routinely hit anything from 35 ft in and occasionally further out than that. Then he got drafted by the Kings in the Smartian era. He looked lost if not incompetent. He lost his stroke. He lost the one part of his game that gave him value. Now he is getting that back. You cannot ignore his near 50% 3 pt shooting as a momentary fluke as this is what he has always done.

BYU Jimmer seems to be reappearing under the coaching of Malone. That doesn't make him faster, quicker, or any of all the other qualities we like in a pg. It DOES mean he can shoot and he has judgment. I think he runs the team fairly well. There is no question that he tries very hard. That wins points in my book. I don't think what happened in the last few minutes of the last game would have happened if Jimmer was the pg as he would have passed the ball to Gay. He would have had that much judgment. He knows his limitations. Sometimes that makes a guy more valuable than someone that doesn't know his limitations. I think Jimmer knows very well that his NBA career depends on him improving a bit , showing judgment, and hitting the outside shot. Nothing more and nothing less. I want him to get more minutes. I don't think we know what we have in Jimmer. I sure don't know what we have at this point but I am encouraged. We need to know what we have by the end of the season.

The team will not live or die with what we do with Jimmer. That's being reasonable. I WOULD like to have confidence that the team will not skip too many beats when the bench guys come in.

I think, if Jimmer wants to play next year in the NBA, his best bet might be Pelicans, if they are successful in trading Eric Gordon. He will always have play-making guard next to him, and I believe he could easily average 12-13 points in 20 minutes there.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Granger can score, but Watson isn't my idea of a guy who can make an impact in scoring.
Actually Watson's strength is his outside shooting. For the last three years, and including this one up to now, he's averaging 39.1% from the three, which is pretty darned good. His weakness is getting to the basket, and also the question of whether he's a PG, or a SG in a PG's body. But the dude can shoot the ball.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I may change my mind when I get to the end of the thread but I am with Spike. I have been a Jimmer fan since BYU although I think I have kept my Jimmer mania under control. My sig going up to the draft showed I wanted Jimmer. I wanted him because he could shoot and because he seemed to understand the game, the now overused high BBIQ. Jimmer in college was more than a shooter. He was not an AI. He could routinely hit anything from 35 ft in and occasionally further out than that. Then he got drafted by the Kings in the Smartian era. He looked lost if not incompetent. He lost his stroke. He lost the one part of his game that gave him value. Now he is getting that back. You cannot ignore his near 50% 3 pt shooting as a momentary fluke as this is what he has always done.

BYU Jimmer seems to be reappearing under the coaching of Malone. That doesn't make him faster, quicker, or any of all the other qualities we like in a pg. It DOES mean he can shoot and he has judgment. I think he runs the team fairly well. There is no question that he tries very hard. That wins points in my book. I don't think what happened in the last few minutes of the last game would have happened if Jimmer was the pg as he would have passed the ball to Gay. He would have had that much judgment. He knows his limitations. Sometimes that makes a guy more valuable than someone that doesn't know his limitations. I think Jimmer knows very well that his NBA career depends on him improving a bit , showing judgment, and hitting the outside shot. Nothing more and nothing less. I want him to get more minutes. I don't think we know what we have in Jimmer. I sure don't know what we have at this point but I am encouraged. We need to know what we have by the end of the season.

The team will not live or die with what we do with Jimmer. That's being reasonable. I WOULD like to have confidence that the team will not skip too many beats when the bench guys come in.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you. One of Jimmer's problems as to being a PG, is that he knows what he needs to do, but doesn't have the skillset to pull it off. If he spends the offseason working on improving his ballhandling, and footwork on defense, I think he could be a serviceable backup PG. Now whether the Kings are interested in retaining him for a lesser amount, or if he's even interested in staying with the Kings is another question. On that note, I agree it would be nice to know exactly what we have in Jimmer before making any decision on his future with the team. Then again, that's just our opinion. The Kings may have already made up their minds.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. One of Jimmer's problems as to being a PG, is that he knows what he needs to do, but doesn't have the skillset to pull it off. If he spends the offseason working on improving his ballhandling, and footwork on defense, I think he could be a serviceable backup PG. Now whether the Kings are interested in retaining him for a lesser amount, or if he's even interested in staying with the Kings is another question. On that note, I agree it would be nice to know exactly what we have in Jimmer before making any decision on his future with the team. Then again, that's just our opinion. The Kings may have already made up their minds.
I have to wonder, in hindsight, if not extending him last off-season might be one of those small missteps that happen. But given the chaos of the last off-season, if it was, it was completely understandable.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nice site all. What do you think coaches expectations are for Jimmer? It has to be tough as a coach having a non-option player as your back-up.
Does he have an edict from upstairs or could he start jimmer if he wanted?
Welcome to KF!

As far as Malone starting Jimmer, I don't think he's being controlled from upstairs. I think he could start Jimmer, but I cannot imagine a scenario under which he'd want to start Jimmer.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
A few games ago, in a postgame interview, Malone said in passing that they were "showcasing" him. I wondered at the time whether it was a Freudian slip, or whether his understanding of the term is different than my understanding of the term. I don't recall hearing a coach saying that he was "showcasing" a player before that interview. He may have just meant he wanted to get more time to Jimmer, or maybe there has been a conversation between him and management and he let the word slip out.

A few games ago, in a postgame interview, Malone said in passing that they were "showcasing" him. I wondered at the time whether it was a Freudian slip, or whether his understanding of the term is different than my understanding of the term. I don't recall hearing a coach saying that he was "showcasing" a player before that interview. He may have just meant he wanted to get more time to Jimmer, or maybe there has been a conversation between him and management and he let the word slip out.
I think there are teams interested in him and a deal is in the works at the trade deadline. I would be shocked if he's on the roster after the deadline. The best offer will get Jimmer which may not be much of an offer.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That's interesting. I think one of the recent times Jimmer played he showed his huge handle problem and then his minutes were cut back a great deal. This is all within the last week or so. However, the minutes he has played recently have showed a flash of the old style BYU Jimmer and the Kings may be happy to have had those very good minutes out of him and revert back to trying to get 40 minutes out of IT. In other words, if they showcase anymore, it can only hurt as his jump shot is back and why risk revealing his entire game.

His game is coming back but I think his entire game is a net negative to a team that has high aspirations.

If that was said, and I'm not doubting your ears, I say "ooooops!!!" That's not exactly what a player wants to hear. :oops: