Jenny Boucek relieved of head coaching duties

Just recieved a text message - Whiz has relieved Jenny Boucek of her head coaching duties

Press release:

http://www.wnba.com/monarchs/news/Press_Release_July.html

MONARCHS RELIEVE BOUCEK OF HEAD COACHING DUTIES; GM JOHN WHISENANT TO ASSUME HEAD COACHING ROLE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SACRAMENTO, CALIF., July 12, 2009 – Sacramento Monarchs General Manager John Whisenant announced today the team has relieved Jenny Boucek of her head coaching duties. Whisenant will assume the Monarchs head coaching role while still maintaining his responsibilities as the organization’s general manager.

“I want to thank Jenny for her efforts and contributions over the past two-and-a-half years,” said Whisenant. “The team is 3-10 overall; we still have over half the season left and we felt it necessary to make this change. We feel like this is a Playoff-caliber team that can compete and to dig ourselves down any further wouldn’t be prudent.”

Whisenant, currently in his sixth season as the team’s general manager, previously coached the Monarchs for three-plus seasons; taking over mid-way through the 2003 season before stepping down at the conclusion of the 2006 season to focus solely on his duties as general manager. Whisenant advanced the Monarchs to the Western Conference Finals all four seasons, including the WNBA Finals in 2005 and 2006 as well as winning the 2005 WNBA Championship and being named WNBA Coach of the Year. He compiled a 76-42 regular season record and 19-10 postseason record during his prior coaching tenure with the team.

Boucek was named the sixth head coach in franchise history on November 15, 2006. She compiled a 40-41 record in her two-plus years with the team. Boucek finished with records of 19-15 and 18-16, respectively, during the past two seasons. Currently the Monarchs have a 3-10 record.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Just recieved a text message - Whiz has relieved Jenny Boucek of her head coaching duties

Well, that's a shame. I'm assuming that Whiz will take over those duties. Who was the message from? Has it been announced by the team yet?

Sad news. GM Whiz is as much to blame for the situation as JBoo. He's way too tied to the same players, not willing to get the personnel in that the team needs.

Priorities to turn season around:
1) locate a backup point guard and let Kara return to her 2-guard duties;
2) get a shooting 2-3 player;
3) reward the 7-8 core players with core player playing time -- no more of this idiotic equalized rotation.

And players on the chopping block for me are Chelsea Newton (whom I love dearly, but she's just not helping the team) and DeMya Walker. DeMya might make it back to full strength by the end of the season, but the Monarchs don't have that long. I think we've seen enough of Courtney Paris to know that she's the long-term center for the Monarchs.

It frosts me that Detroit signed Anna DeForge. I thought she was injured, and that made her a pass. But she's the type of player the Monarchs need right now. And Whisenant turned down Sheryl Swoopes before the season started. Maybe a good decision depending on her health, but really, the team needs some offense, and Sheryl's got both offense and defense in one package.

Enough of my ranting. I just wish there was a better roster for Jenny to have worked with. I can't see how Whisenant is going to turn it around.

That said, Go Monarchs!

HoopMatron

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I agree that Whiz must share in the responsibility of a 3-10 record. However, Whiz was not responsible for the weird rotations.

I think Kelly is on the bubble, especially since Courtney has excelled with more playing time. Kelly has been horribly inconsistent. Walker (even at less than full strength) has been far and away better than Kelly.

Chelsea is a shadow of her former self. I couldn't believe how many times players blew right by her last night. I think she is the expendable guard.

We need a guard, preferably someone who can score.

Wow!!

All of this is happening way too fast. The first I heard about this was just a couple of hours ago when I picked up the Bee. We began to talk and now she is gone!!! I am somewhat surprised.

He obviously believes they have the personnel to be better than 3-10. I haven't seen anything talent-wise that indicated that this group can't be competitive or a playoff team.

Anybody who can explain why Courtney Paris, who was putting up similar numbers a month ago, essentially sat for a month before she gets a consistent role in the rotation? I'm all ears.

The regulars I don't think had a sense of their roles in the rotation either. As evidenced by something I pointed to about the way Walker answered the question posed to her by the Monarchs Talk crew.

My sense is, if she still had the locker room, she'da had another week. If she still had the locker room, Voisin's story doesn't get written. See the 180 turn she made from the story she wrote at the beginning of the season to the one published this morning. Voisin has her axes to grind, but Boucek never seemed to me to have her name on one.

I actually remarked on the idea of JBoo losing the team's confidence after last night's game. It seemed Nicole had checked out on her at least twice during the game. And when players were on the bench, they just looked uninterested or something -- they lacked the game excitement I'd seen before.

I actually remarked on the idea of JBoo losing the team's confidence after last night's game. It seemed Nicole had checked out on her at least twice during the game. And when players were on the bench, they just looked uninterested or something -- they lacked the game excitement I'd seen before.
I second that. I've got a bunch of photos taken of the M's bench that showed some discouraged faces.

From my point of view, just looked like Kelly was un-interested?
I don't know. I'm with HoopMatron...Coach B. is not to blame. However when the team doesn't win, the Coach is always the first to go.
I hate to see her go, she could have done some things differently, with rotations & such. Whiz could have shaken up the team before the season started too. We could have had a healthy team...so it's not all on Coach.

The best to Coach Boucek...thanks for the memories.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Eh, it seemed clear to me that Boucek had to go, but I still disagree with firing her mid-season. Talent-wise or otherwise, I think it's a tough sell to believe that we're going to be able to leapfrog Los Angeles, San Antonio and/or Minnesota. Even if we do, I'd say first-round-and-out at best. May as well have let Boucek finish out the string, and no re-sign her in the offseason.

as I've said on the other thread, JBoo is not solely to blame for this situation. Whiz, i think shares the blame as much as JBoo does since he is too emotionally (for lack of a better word) invested in the current roster. I think in fact, Whiz is the one to blame for the roster the way it is.

JBoo on the other hand did not bring anything special. I thought she would come and improve the offense. She however not only fail to improve the offense, but also the defense stagnated with her. Whether or not she could've done more with a better line up is debatable.

Newton has to go. I think whiz really is to blame for this. As I said before, I think he did not axe her because then it would make him look stupid for trading a first round pick for her.

Ditto on DeForge. Hoped we could've gotten her for newton at least. or kelly.

Now if Whiz can get this team to start winning then, Whiz is truly a whiz. But as I've said before, WNBA 2009 is not the same as WNBA 2005.

before I forget, thanks JBoo for the memories. if it's any consolation, I can't think of a replacement for you right now, (except for Whiz).

Last edited:
I think everyone has said everything I wanted to say,

So all I have left to say is, Jenny B did us solid while she was here. It is too bad the last 6 games are gonna define what has been a pretty decent run here in Monarch Land.

Good Luck to Coach B in whatever she does.

As for the rest...

I always thought Whiz was coasting in his GM duties. He now get the chance to prove me wrong. The players that we're injured are almost 100%. Our Rookie seems to be getting her sealegs.

So Prove me Wrong.

Go Monarchs

I loved Boucek's intensity and she was definitely a player's coach at times; however, her irratic substitution patterns, subbing players out when they were "hot" and not putting the right players in during key moments of the game... I think ultimately cost her her job. I wish her the best in wherever she goes next and I think this was a great learning experience.

Of course last game we did miss crucial FT's, but the last 4 mins of the game some players should not have been in there.

Hmmm....

Looking at this objectively, I have to agree with the move. No question Jenny is a good coach, but ultimately wasn't the right fit for this team...for various reasons already established in this thread. It happens.

I'm sure she'll land on her feet somewhere. Never met her, but I got the feeling that she was a genuinely good person who cared about her players as people and not just cogs in a machine. Hope this doesn't change that mentality...

She is not preaching to this choir, even though there are alot of what she writes I do agree with.

I agree that Boucek looks at sports beyond wins and losses
I agree that Whisnant may should have given her the rest of the season
I agree that this team have fought injuries all season
I agree that Robinson, Newton and Penicheiro may be overkill in bad offense

But the one thing she does not say is that rotation. I too go back to that rotation. Her shuffling those players in and out, in and out, no rhythm, saying it was for defensive purposes, but the defense has slid every year she has been here. The defense of the Monarchs has gotten worse, and worse and worse. Why?

IT GOES BACK TO THAT ROTATION. In my view it killed all defensive execution and established no chemistry. She admitted herself that the offense was suffering because the defense was suffering. Why was that defense suffering.....NO CHEMISTRY, NO EXECUTION. The defense kept getting worse and worse and worse, especially the perimeter defense. 3 pointer after 3 pointer, IT KEPT GETTING WORSE. This team had lost it's fire, something I believe John Whisnant can re-ignite. This is Whisnant's roster, he aquired and drafted each and every player (outside of Ticha). It is his defense, and now it is his team again. I don't think he ever wanted to leave, but due to health and NBA ambitions he stepped down. I have no problem with this move.

God's Blessings to Coach Jenny, I hope to see her in college game. I believe she would be perfect in the NCAA (and probably make more money:D)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yeah... I don't agree with much of Voepel's blog, if any of it at all. Boucek never impressed me as being a particularly good coach and, while Whisenant rightfully deserves blame for the personnel, I never felt as though Boucek maximized the potential of the players she had, injured or otherwise.

And, quite aside from her actual coaching, I've been sour on her on a personal level ever since that "fainting spell" after the loss to San Antonio. That just completely rubbed me the wrong way, and if I had the book (to borrow a pro-wrestling term), I'd have fired her that night, just out of principle.

Purple Reign, god bless ya for trying to post over on Rebkell! I lurk over there all the time and for all the good discussion/info, it seems like it's just endless pissing matches between egomaniacs over there.

Purple Reign, god bless ya for trying to post over on Rebkell! I lurk over there all the time and for all the good discussion/info, it seems like it's just endless pissing matches between egomaniacs over there.
Yes nice attempt at reason although no way to reason using realities of the basketball play on the court with someone who claims they are Jenny Boucek's "Love slave".

Disturbing.

Yeah it is brutal. I think i will stay over here with family. Most of those folk that are Monarch fans there, do they post here? Do they live here? Because they seem to have knowledge but they act so ignorant, un Sacramento like. Who is BBallfan2005? Does that person post here because he/she needs to be a shame. I am starting to sound like a parent now:rolleyes:, so I better shut up.

And, quite aside from her actual coaching, I've been sour on her on a personal level ever since that "fainting spell" after the loss to San Antonio. That just completely rubbed me the wrong way, and if I had the book (to borrow a pro-wrestling term), I'd have fired her that night, just out of principle.
She was trying to generate heat. ;)

Sorry.

Yeah it is brutal. I think i will stay over here with family. Most of those folk that are Monarch fans there, do they post here? Do they live here? Because they seem to have knowledge but they act so ignorant, un Sacramento like. Who is BBallfan2005? Does that person post here because he/she needs to be a shame. I am starting to sound like a parent now:rolleyes:, so I better shut up.
I was thinking that screen name sounded familiar, but I'm not sure. It is a shame though they obviously are fans of the league. However, their "communication" skills are lacking, among other things.

This is a weird one because as mentioned in various posts, there are multiple issues. I know I have made my opinion known on their pathetic passing quota. And this offense that is afraid to shoot. I am so sick of it. Sorry for that broken record.....These players seem to be over-thinking the plays, and the coaching staff doesn't seem to be helping the situation. I'm ok if they remove the entire coaching staff and start completely new. Even if they don't make the playoffs, but show progressive improvement, I would love that.

The players need to be encouraged to play their defense, but also to shoot. This team seems to be slow on making adjustments to other teams. They keep trying to force things into the middle and oh gosh the other teams already know what they're going to do, as a result they get shot clock violations. Make the adjustment to, I don't know, maybe just stop and pop. We have players that can do it, they are not encouraged/allowed to. Be more unpredictable. Yeah, I know, it takes time, blah, blah, blah.....but sheez, they can only go up from here.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
In my limited exposure with the Rebkell forums, I always got the sense that there was a disturbing vocal minority that trended towards making the WNBA about things that don't have anything to do with basketball. YMMV.

Well, I disagree. We won't be winning anything with this roster.

And we don't have a player like Yo (in 2005, and during the playoffs of 06) who could get it done offensively and defensively. And neither Brunson (unless healthy) or Powell is better than DeMya in 2005. The league has gotten better, this team hasn't.

I mean, how can this team get better without adding talent. We haven't had a high draft pick in years and all Whiz has done is resign Maiga, who is good, but just a complementary player. Good thing we hopefully will be able to get Prince or Wright next year.

Did you actually expect Sac to have a good record with the injuries to Ticha, Brunson, and Lawson being out of shape. And no matter what people think Nicole Powell is NOT a #1 option on offense. We lost against Minnesota because they had Simone, we had no one who could score, same with in Chicago with Perkins.

I would've liked to see Jenny actually set plays to free up Nicole, but Nicole can't shoot off the dribble either. She needs to be set to score. I would've wished they would've atleast waited till the end of the year. The team was getting healthier and playing better. Not entirely her fault that she had very little talent to work with (w or w/o injuries).