Jay Triano to be hired as assistant coach, DC staying as well?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There's our offensive coordinator (he ran the offense in New Orleans under Borrego and worked with Stotts in Portland to build their offense before moving on to be Earl Watson's head assistant in Phoenix (a situation that was guaranteed to fail)).

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
but but but no way this cheap organization is going to put together an effective assistant staff.

I really like this crew he is putting together. I do think had we gone young we wouldn't be pulling this quality of assistant.

In Brown I Trust!!!

Postseason 2023, LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Note: Even if we don't see the postseason in 2023, but the team shows some major signs of turning the corner and reaching the playoffs within the next 2 - 3 years, I'll be a very happy Kings fan.

but but but no way this cheap organization is going to put together an effective assistant staff.

I really like this crew he is putting together. I do think had we gone young we wouldn't be pulling this quality of assistant.
The sad part about your first statement is...

Even though we're putting together a solid coaching staff, we're still going to be a "cheap organization" to most outside of the organization.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The sad part about your first statement is...

Even though we're putting together a solid coaching staff, we're still going to be a "cheap organization" to most outside of the organization.
its fine because right now we deserve it and if Monte does turn it around it's really gonna hurt some fans of garbage teams that think they are better than us right now.

DC might have been a force by the organization, but I think I'm ok with it. Seems like the players responded well to him being on the sidelines last year.
I like the newcomers but I'm most excited to hear about DC remaining.

When he took over for Walton in that few games last season as the temp-HC, the way he called and yelled to his players their defensive assignments throughout the game, which is not at all unlike J-Kidd managing the Mavs D in the Playoffs, I think is really crucial for our team who currently is lacking a vocal leader.

I like the newcomers but I'm most excited to hear about DC remaining.

When he took over for Bill Walton’s Son in that few games last season as the temp-HC, the way he called and yelled to his players their defensive assignments throughout the game, which is not at all unlike J-Kidd managing the Mavs D in the Playoffs, I think is really crucial for our team who currently is lacking a vocal leader.
Fixed and yeah agreed the guys wanted to play

Last edited by a moderator:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I feel like every coaching change (so, like every 2 years) we always think the assistants are amazing.
I don't think that was the impression when Walton was hired. And then the lead assistant left after a year. But he had all his frat bros in Los Angeles and basically had the Kings pick his staff here because he wasn't trusted with the hires. Brown seems to actually know what he is doing.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think that was the impression when Walton was hired. And then the lead assistant left after a year. But he had all his frat bros in Los Angeles and basically had the Kings pick his staff here because he wasn't trusted with the hires. Brown seems to actually know what he is doing.
His coaching staff got better and better as time went on/the front office started trying to undercut Luke with better/different coaches but I remember the only coach on his staff I was mildly okay with his first year was Igor Kokoskov, who promptly left the team to coach in Europe after the bubble (He's Jason Kidd's lead assistant in Dallas now).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
His coaching staff got better and better as time went on/the front office started trying to undercut Luke with better/different coaches but I remember the only coach on his staff I was mildly okay with his first year was Igor Kokoskov, who promptly left the team to coach in Europe after the bubble (He's Jason Kidd's lead assistant in Dallas now).
I am pretty sure even when he was hired that he only got one pick. Kokoskov was definitely forced on him as the lead assistant (at least I assume he was lead assistant?) as was Gentry to replace Igor.

I am pretty sure even when he was hired that he only got one pick. Kokoskov was definitely forced on him as the lead assistant (at least I assume he was lead assistant?) as was Gentry to replace Igor.
I feel like with Walton, his staff was hired to actually do the work and babysit him and his role was to basically get along with the players. With Brown, at least so far his staff seems to be more deliberate and with a plan.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I feel like with Walton, his staff was hired to actually do the work and babysit him and his role was to basically get along with the players. With Brown, at least so far his staff seems to be more deliberate and with a plan.
It's a little strange because I do think Walton was brought on to be a player's coach, and by many accounts he got on with most. Except for Marvin/Marvin's dad. Which was the whole point (foolish or otherwise).

Brown seems like a dude who is firm but fair.

It's a little strange because I do think Walton was brought on to be a player's coach, and by many accounts he got on with most. Except for Marvin/Marvin's dad. Which was the whole point (foolish or otherwise).

Brown seems like a dude who is firm but fair.
Which was a really dumb decision. They needed a coach who could teach them how to play winning basketball. Not a coach who they could play Call of Duty with.

Get a players coach when you already have a bunch of players who know how to play the game.

Which was a really dumb decision. They needed a coach who could teach them how to play winning basketball. Not a coach who they could play Call of Duty with.

Get a players coach when you already have a bunch of players who know how to play the game.
yeah the FO’s fake it till you make it approach has been an utter disaster. I’m hoping Brown at least makes us a professional organization. Not expecting to be world beaters or anything just take a couple steps towards mediocrity and look competent

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Well they had a problem with Joerger not getting on with their new star and also I am sure they thought Walton was better than he was. Honestly, he should have been. I can't believe he was as bad as he was.

Well they had a problem with Joerger not getting on with their new star and also I am sure they thought Walton was better than he was. Honestly, he should have been. I can't believe he was as bad as he was.
Yeah. Well Joerger is good at coaching basketball. But he doesn't get along with anyone if you follow the pattern. He's petty, ornery and to put it nicely, a jerk. If he was willing to tank the Kings record as payback, which ultimately took wins from his own win/loss record (even though minimal) rest assured he was willing to tank another persons career who he did not get along with. Be it player, coach or front office.

I took the Walton hiring as Vlade picking someone he thought he could work with easily, vs what was best for the team. Walton can teach a master class in politics, but he's not much of a coach.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Yeah. Well Joerger is good at coaching basketball. But he doesn't get along with anyone if you follow the pattern. He's petty, ornery and to put it nicely, a jerk. If he was willing to tank the Kings record as payback, which ultimately took wins from his own win/loss record (even though minimal) rest assured he was willing to tank another persons career who he did not get along with. Be it player, coach or front office.

I took the Walton hiring as Vlade picking someone he thought he could work with easily, vs what was best for the team. Walton can teach a master class in politics, but he's not much of a coach.
Walton has a great pedigree unfortunately it's clear after his stint with the Kings that none of it carried forward.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Walton was Vlade's boy too. Vlade knew that Dumars was trying to suck out some of his juice in the FO and I'm sure he thought Walton was like sending in the troops. Well, Walton brought along the final nail with him and Vlade didn't even realize it. Or maybe he did.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Walton was Vlade's boy too. Vlade knew that Dumars was trying to suck out some of his juice in the FO and I'm sure he thought Walton was like sending in the troops. Well, Walton brought along the final nail with him and Vlade didn't even realize it. Or maybe he did.
I don't think Dumars was there when Walton was hired, iirc we hired him a week after the season ended and Dumars came in midway through June.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Hmmm... I stand corrected then. I thought he came on just before. Maybe there were rumors or sightings. Either way, this was "his" guy.
most definitely, he wanted Luke bad before he went to LA. I think we tried to get Vogel too, maybe even D'Antoni? I can't remember my timeline, but we missed on quite a few guys before Joerger basically fell into our lap by getting canned late in the post-season coaching carousel.