James Anderson opts out of contract?

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/733117940283805696

Eric Pincus Verified account ‏@EricPincus
Both Seth Curry and James Anderson have officially opted out of their contracts w/Sacramento Kings @BBallInsiders

Could this be an error, Acy?
I thought it was probably an error too and replied to his tweet to ask. I didn't think Anderson would turn down a guaranteed contract but he insisted it was correct and that Acy hasn't officially opted in or opted out yet. Hmm

I have considered Anderson a likely source as one of the guys unhappy with Boogie, if that unhappiness helped cause him to make a dumb decision here that helps us, then Boogie already helping us next season. :)
I wonder if the ridiculous minutes Karl gave to Anderson was in some measure to jab a needle at DeMarcus (if they didn't like each other... maybe Anderson was a coach kiss ass)?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I wonder if the ridiculous minutes Karl gave to Anderson was in some measure to jab a needle at DeMarcus (if they didn't like each other... maybe Anderson was a coach kiss ass)?
I don't know, but I also don't want to go too far down that lane since my speculation is pretty close to sheer, and base on nothing more substantial than process of elimination.

I think Anderson's minutes last year were a result of desperation more than anything else. When every guard fails to stop anyone, you just keep going further and further.

I seem to recall a report that Anderson was brought in at the request of Karl and his minions. If that was the case Anderson may not be comfortable on the Kings squad and would explain not renewing his deal. He is good enough to be on a lottery teams deep bench and certainly could play overseas.

I wasn't a fan of him or his role on the team last year. He seemed like a good guy, so I wish him nothing but the best. It just didn't work out here. But I hope he has a great career.

Looking at it through his eyes he is at the age where he can still cement himself in Europe and make a nice career for himself, rather than possibly the 15th man on a NBA roster, if that.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Well that was an absolute gift. 1.1 million doesn't seem like a lot, but I don't think we have Anderson in our future plans so that's more money we can invest in free agency. So Acy, Curry, and Anderson all opted out. That just leaves Caron Butler with a player option. Do we know if he opted out or not yet? I would expect him to opt out after a mid-season trade request, but maybe he changes his mind with George Karl out of the picture?

I agree with others...seemed like a great guy. Not his fault that he's not very well suited for the NBA game. I still think it's a huge mistake to turn down over a guaranteed million dollars when you are that marginal of a player. But...that helps us and our cap.

I agree with others...seemed like a great guy. Not his fault that he's not very well suited for the NBA game. I still think it's a huge mistake to turn down over a guaranteed million dollars when you are that marginal of a player. But...that helps us and our cap.
He will get more than that in Europe. Note that salaries in Europe are after tax so there is a massive difference between a $1.1m contract in the NBA and in Europe. You almost earn twice as muck in Europe.