Jabari Parker?

-He fills the biggest hole we have (sf,pf)
-He looks to be healthy after coming back from 2 knee surgeries and has even showed improvement in other areas of his game (3pt shooting especially so he doesn't have to rely on athleticism)
-Fits the age and culture we are building
-Ready to play and contribute now
-Looks to be a very good 2nd scoring option (with the possibility of being a 1st option)
-Has improved defense (has dropped down to 240lbs)
-Has pretty good handles for a guy that is 6'9
-Turned down the bucks contract extension

What are your guys thoughts? I never see him being mentioned on this board.

I don't see the Bucks letting him go. Even if they do decide to not resign him we are going to have some serious competition for him. Any team with cap space and a need at forward is going to try and sign him.

Jabari was offered 18 mil annually but turned it down because he wanted the max extension. He has been discussed a little bit on these forums. He has a lot of talent and definitely fills our largest gaping hole. However that is a lot of money to invest in someone with his injury history especially considering he wanted more than that.

I would imagine he is absolutely on the front office's list of off season targets.

If doctors can look at thise knees and think he is healed up, id rather we go after him that Randle or Gordan...but health wise, whats the odds he isnt righg back on the injury list

I don't see the Bucks letting him go. Even if they do decide to not resign him we are going to have some serious competition for him. Any team with cap space and a need at forward is going to try and sign him.
Jabari himself has spoken out about the uncertainty of his future with the bucks and that they are perfectly fine without him. To me, this seems like he either wants a bigger role and/or more money. Which we can provide both

Jabari himself has spoken out about the uncertainty of his future with the bucks and that they are perfectly fine without him. To me, this seems like he either wants a bigger role and/or more money. Which we can provide both
Yes I read his comments as well just last night. He seems detached from the team in an odd way saying they will be ok without him and he has to figure out what is right for him. I feel for the guy, injuries suck. I hope he is able to stay healthy and he would definitely be a great addition for us if he can.

I would possibly take a chance on him.

If we sign him, we're going to have a huge problem rebounding. WCS would have to be let go for sure. The rebounding would be atrocious with those two at the PF and C spots. Giles is always a wildcard since we have no idea what he will do but he could theoretically fit next to Parker. If the FO isn't confident with that situation, they may be forced into taking a Bamba or Carter in the draft to help alleviate the rebounding/defense problem that we will probably have. Another option is Koufos playing next to him next year if he opts in but that will probably just be a one year band aid.

I would love to get Jabari Parker in a Kings Jersey. I think he might be exactly what this team needs.

That said, I predict he'll use us as leverage to get a max contract from another team this summer.

Does anyone believe Jabari could play the 3? I have not watched him enough but he is listed at 6'8. If he can only play the 4 then I do not see them signing him at that price.

I like Parker, but I wouldn't pay the max for him. Just too much uncertainty surrounding his injuries and I just don't think he's a max player right now.

Does anyone believe Jabari could play the 3? I have not watched him enough but he is listed at 6'8. If he can only play the 4 then I do not see them signing him at that price.
He's a PF. Think 2017 Carmelo Anthony. He's able to play SF in stretches, but he's definitely not a SF.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Maybe. The scenario that might work out would be this: Parker demands Max and the four or five teams that can offer it to him balk because there's just too much other Talent out there they would rather put the money on. This leaves Jabari hanging in the Wind as the second tier talent starts getting picked up to round out rosters. That would be when the very patient GM with money could come in and offer him a hefty one-year deal with a player option on year two so he can get another bite at the Apple next season or the year after.

Last edited:
I like Parker, but I wouldn't pay the max for him. Just too much uncertainty surrounding his injuries and I just don't think he's a max player right now.

He's a PF. Think 2017 Carmelo Anthony. He's able to play SF in stretches, but he's definitely not a SF.
All of this. Nice scorer, but definitely not a SF, and really comes off as a guy who would rather spend his orime putting up points on average teams than being the second or third option on a contender. I don’t think he fits with Vlade’s vision or Joerger’s system.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Bucks offered him a 18 mil a year contract, which is a far piece from a max contract, which is somewhere between 30 and 34 mil a year. The King won't have the much to offer unless one of, Koufos, Shumpert, or Temple opt's out. Or the start doing buyouts, and cutting loose timber. Just don't see it happening with Giles in the incubator and Skal already in the labor room. I think Parker is more of a PF that can play some SF in the right matchup.

If he doesn't return to the Bucks, I see maybe the Lakers going after him after being rejected by Lebron, George, and whomever else they had on their bucket list.

It's the exact same question I had about Hood, only at 2 and 3, can he consistently play the 3. No doubt in my opinion, if healthy and a 3 he could be a great addition to this team. He's big and strong, good wingspan, what limited play I have seen he's a star, but is he a good team player? I don't know and chemistry is a major part of the equation.

huh? Yeah I'd agree small-ball PF as his best spot, but he's a true 3/4 flex wing. He plays on the wing all the time for the Bucks as they switch Giannis around depending on match-ups.

I'd max this dude instantly. To me, the only "cap" capital we lose out on is taking on bad contracts for future picks. But the whole point is to get a pick who can someday have the upside and talent that Jabari has. UFA just isn't ever going to be an option for us. And I'd rather go for the home-run with Jabari than spend $32mil next off-season on ZBO/Vince/Hill.

The Bucks offered him a 18 mil a year contract, which is a far piece from a max contract, which is somewhere between 30 and 34 mil a year. The King won't have the much to offer unless one of, Koufos, Shumpert, or Temple opt's out.
Indeed. I took a spin through Sham Sports' nifty capulator (http://www.shamsports.com/capulator), and found that if you assume Temple, Koufos, and Shumpert opt in, the Kings pick at 6, and they renounce the rights to Cooley, Sampson, and Bruno, they're looking at just under $19.5 million of salary cap space. (If you assume the Kings get lucky and pick between 1-3, the cap space falls to between $16 million and $17.7, respectively). Now, they could "stretch" Shumpert and even Z-Bo to get somewhere closer to max $, but then you'd have to convince Vivek to fork out $22 million to those guys for not playing. We'll see -- I could see them stretching Shumpert, but not both.

Parker is the type of guy the Kings should be after -- a young up and comer who might be attainable even as a restricted free agent. I happen to think that, unless they draft a big, they chase Randle instead -- Joerger's spoken highly of him before, and the Lakers may be preoccupied by chasing the top-tier guys that they don't match an offer around $18 million or so per year.

huh? Yeah I'd agree small-ball PF as his best spot, but he's a true 3/4 flex wing. He plays on the wing all the time for the Bucks as they switch Giannis around depending on match-ups.

I'd max this dude instantly. To me, the only "cap" capital we lose out on is taking on bad contracts for future picks. But the whole point is to get a pick who can someday have the upside and talent that Jabari has. UFA just isn't ever going to be an option for us. And I'd rather go for the home-run with Jabari than spend $32mil next off-season on ZBO/Vince/Hill.
I don't think he's a true 3/4 flex. That would be someone like Tobias Harris. I think Parker's biggest obstacle at playing SF is his mediocre lateral quickness. He moves like a PF on defense and just doesn't slide his feet enough. For reference he's listed at 6'8 250lbs... I see SFs punishing him with their quickness. Kings don't have a Giannis on this team. Bucks are one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA..so the switches don't help them at all. Just watch his big game vs. the Nuggets. He did 100% of his damage at PF against the likes of Plumlee... He also primarily guarded Lyles and Millsap.

I don't see him as a SF. On offense, I think he's got the ball handling, but not the 1 on 1 quickness to get by wings. People will be extremely disappointed if they're expecting him to fulfill our missing wing position. He's a PF. Not sure why anyone would still think he's a SF..especially with where we are in the current NBA.

I would be completely fine with going after Parker as a PF. I'm still not sold on any of the PFs on this team...which is only Skal. Willie is a C. Giles is a C unless he's added a jumpshot no one knows about.

Entire question comes down to how much $$$? I'm not sure where Baja is getting that figure from, but I don't think the max is 30million. Pretty sure it's closer to $25mill.

Still wouldn't do $25mill for him though. Maybe $20million?

Didnt the 76ers add some type of injury clause to Embids contract? Is J. Parker more of a injury risk than Embide?

How about offering Parker a contract that allows for him to make Max money if he reaches certain milestones but if he gets injured the salary is half the amount or somebing along those lies?

I wouldn't max Parker due to consistent health issues and the fact that he has some big holes in his game even when he's been healthy.

His shooting is solid, albeit he's taking less shots at the rim this season and only finishing them at a poor 59% rate, putting him in the bottom 14% of players at his position. Post-injury, he's also avoiding contact and drawing very few fouls while either shooting or defensively. He's largely solved his lack of 3P shooting and is shooting quite well (but could stand to take more) from the 3pt line and has a very accurate mid-range jumper as well, but doesn't take too many of them (unlike our good friend Fox). His steal rate is surprisingly good, and always has been. He's a good passer, takes care of the ball, and qualitatively, is a good "character" guy.

Defensively is where Parker has been an issue even when healthy. Hole #1: his rebounding has always been below average to poor. Hole #2: shot-blocking, which is consistently in the bottom of the league for his position. Qualitatively, he doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard SFs on the perimeter, but doesn't have the strength nor shotblocking capability to guard PFs in the paint.

Do I think he's a good player? Yes, absolutely - and it's awful he hasn't been healthy. Minus his post-ACL issue of not taking/making as many shots in the paint, he can make it from anywhere, has improved his passing, 3pt shooting + volume, and can be a great mismatch threat. He still has some good athleticism, which gives you a bit of longevity assurance for a 3+ year contract... but his injuries are frequent and are racking up.

Milwaukee has a bad habit of overpaying players and getting locked in bad contracts... it will be interesting to see where Jabari lands (and for how much) this summer.

I’d go after Jabari we need scorers and he can be a very good scorer at PF. He’s turned into a decent shooter from 3 last year shot 36% on 3.5 attempts in 50 games.

He was a 20-6-2 guy last year for Milwaukee he can be our number 2 scorer and he’s only 22. We need a scorer no matter who we draft and that’s what he is.

I don’t see Milwaukee matching a max deal when they have to sigh Bledose/Middleton soon. A sign and trade for WCS would probably be good for them and us so we keep KK

He might be the best player we can get, so I see it but:

* He's played 4 seasons and missed most of 3 of them with major knee injuries

* Based upon said injuries, he's probably a PF going forward, never excelled at defense, is 6'8'' and averages 3.8 rebounds per game. That troubles me a fair amount.

Is the team maxing out a guy that's a bit like rich man's Boris Diaw? Much better scorer, worse passer. Not fat, but perhaps made of glass and having long term knee issues.

I get that sometimes you have to start somewhere. The Magic had cap issues long term because they overpaid Lewis, but their kids don't move forward and they don't become a contender if they don't sign Lewis. On the flip side, the Bobcats sign Diaw using that logic and it's all bad.

If it's a 3 year deal with a team option in the 3rd I would do it (if that is even possible). I'd trade WCS/Jackson/Mason/Skal/Hield for whatever we can get and try build around Fox/Bogie/Giles/Parker and try trade/sign vets in the 25-28 year old region entering the prime of their careers sort of like Indiana has done building around Turner/Victor/Sabonis.

None of this crap of signing over the hill (pun intended) 30+ year olds