It's early, but anybody have a draft wish list yet?

I'm going to try to be positive and look toward the future, which likely involves another low draft pick. I know the roster is a mess and the system/ coach in place need to go, but based on our roster right now, who would you guys like to see us get in the draft?

A couple names i think id like to see on the roster would be Michael Gilchrist and John Henson. Both guys don't look like players that need the ball too much to be effective. Henson reminds me a bit of dally with his length and shot blocking, and from what ive read about Gilchrist, he plays intense defense and has a great attitude. anybody have any thoughts?

Andre Drummond may very well be the last chance this franchise has to be remotely relevant in the future considering how terrible they are right now. Unfortunately he's the likely #1 pick.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
A new coach? Can we acquire one through the draft? Otherwise, generally speaking, we need to go big.

At this point, I don't think the any talent we get from the draft would help this team if Westphal continues to drive this team nuts. Fire the coach!

Davis or Gilchrist. Maybe Drummond if he starts to play with some heart, but I haven't seen it yet. I like Henson too as he's a defensive shotblocking big, but I worry about his weight. He'll get pushed around until he adds some. Although you may be able to say the same about Davis. T. Jones is another I like.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Top choice is Anthony Davis. My favorite player in college is Michael Gilchrist. I just love the kid. Jeremy Lamb is going to be a very good player in the NBA. Hard to say just exactly who I would pick without knowing where I'm going to pick. But this is a very deep draft. Drummond is a very talented kid, but I agree with Dime Dropper, there are times when the fire seems to be out. Folks keep saying if someone can just light a fire under him. My experience has been, you either have the fire or you don't. You want fire, take a look at Gilchrist.

I like Henson, and I never thought I'd say that, but he's really improved his all around game, and he's even added a little muscle. He still needs more. If you looking for someone with a picture perfect jumpshot, then its Harrison Barnes. However, I still have reservations about Barnes. He really has trouble creating his own shot, and I think he's rated too high as a result of that. Perry Jones is back and playing well for the most part, and I'd take him over Barnes. I really like Jones teammate, Quincy Miller as well.

I could go on, but its late and I'm tired..

Havent watched a whole lot of college bball yet. But after watching UCONN for 5 minutes I'll take Drummond. The dude is huge and athletic, looks like the real deal as a big, athletic, true center. He just looks like a monster out there.

With the way this season is going so far we may have a real shot at the #1 again.

Davis or Gilchrist. Maybe Drummond if he starts to play with some heart, but I haven't seen it yet. I like Henson too as he's a defensive shotblocking big, but I worry about his weight. He'll get pushed around until he adds some. Although you may be able to say the same about Davis. T. Jones is another I like.
This 100%.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Havent watched a whole lot of college bball yet. But after watching UCONN for 5 minutes I'll take Drummond. The dude is huge and athletic, looks like the real deal as a big, athletic, true center. He just looks like a monster out there.

With the way this season is going so far we may have a real shot at the #1 again.
Drummond is going to go very high, probably top 3, regardless of what I think. He's without a doubt the best combination of size, athletic ability, and skill level in the entire draft. He's also very young, and for that reason I'm cutting him some slack. But there have been games where he just simply disapears. When he decides to turn it on, its impressive to watch. I just reservations about a player that decides when he wants to play. But its early yet, so we'll see.

Gilchrist is solid and id be completely sold on him if he had a bit more range on his shooting. We really need that type of game from our SF

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My personal top two players right now are Anthony Davis and Michael Gilchrist. I doubt Gilchrist will go top five, but five years from now, everyone that passed on him will regret it. I've been following this kid since his sophmore year of highschool. He would be the perfect fit for the Kings at SF. He doesn't need the ball, but he'll still get you 15 pts a game on just pure hustle. He grab you 5 plus rebounds from the SF position every game. He'll block a couple of shots, and get you a couple of steals. And while he's doing all that, he'll add 3 or 4 assists, and absolutely drive who ever he's guarding nuts. He's just a terrific basketball player who at times doesn't seem to be human. On top of that, he's leader on the floor and will get into any teammates face if he doesn't think they're putting out the proper effort.

If I have to choose between Davis and Drummond without having seen either play, then I'm taking Drummond. But after watching both players play in over 10 games so far, its a no contest. I'm taking Davis all the way. As a defensive stopper, Drummond isn't even on the same page as Davis. The raw potential in Davis is astounding. The only advantage Drummond has over Davis is about 50 pounds. Thats where it ends. And when it comes to effort, there's simply no comparison. Davis shows up for every game. Drummond shows up when he wants to.

If Drummond truely plans on staying for another year, then he's makinig the right decision.

barnes would be ideal, a SF who can shoot consistently and play defense, and isn't a high volume shooter. or gilchrist as well. maybe Terrence jones if we have a later pick.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I doubt Gilchrist will go top five, but five years from now, everyone that passed on him will regret it. I've been following this kid since his sophmore year of highschool. He would be the perfect fit for the Kings at SF. He doesn't need the ball, but he'll still get you 15 pts a game on just pure hustle. He grab you 5 plus rebounds from the SF position every game. He'll block a couple of shots, and get you a couple of steals. And while he's doing all that, he'll add 3 or 4 assists, and absolutely drive who ever he's guarding nuts. He's just a terrific basketball player who at times doesn't seem to be human. On top of that, he's leader on the floor and will get into any teammates face if he doesn't think they're putting out the proper effort.
I saw Gilchrist play once, didn't get a great feel for him but did watch him gobble up a ton of rebounds and put out a lot of energy. I've gotten the impression his jump shot is only average. But from the description you give above and his size (I think he's listed 6'7") would you say he's in mold of maybe a Gerald Wallace with a bit more vocal leadership, Baja, or is that off the mark?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I saw Gilchrist play once, didn't get a great feel for him but did watch him gobble up a ton of rebounds and put out a lot of energy. I've gotten the impression his jump shot is only average. But from the description you give above and his size (I think he's listed 6'7") would you say he's in mold of maybe a Gerald Wallace with a bit more vocal leadership, Baja, or is that off the mark?
Hmmm! Wallace is not a bad comparison. Some differences though. I think Gilchrist is a little more skilled for playing the SF position than Wallace was, since he played PF and even a little center in college. His outside shot, although it needs improvement, is much better than Wallace was at the same time period. Gilchrist basketball IQ is far and away much better than Wallace's was coming out of college. I think Wallace is a little better athlete than Gilchrist, but then he's a better athlete than most NBA players. He's probably a little taller as well. I think Gerald measured out at 6'8". But as far as energy and competitive spirit, they're very similar.

If you want someone that looks polished and smooth with a picture perfect jumpshot, then Barnes is your man. If you want someone that never quits, and refuses to lose, then Gilchrist is your man. You probably can't go wrong with either of them. But my gut tells me that with the game on the line, I'd rather have Gilchrist on the floor than Barnes. I can watch North Carolina play, and not notice Barnes for periods of the game. Its almost impossibe to watch Kentucky play and not notice Gilchrist. To my mind, thats the major difference between the two.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
i trust you on that one but whould we get either
Gilchrist, is possible. Its a very deep draft if everyone comes out, and with that said, Gilchrist could go anywhere from 5 to 12, depending on different teams needs. General rule of thumb, is that good big men always get picked before good little men. Not that Gilchrist is little, but I think you know what I mean. So guys like Davis, Drummond, Henson, Thomas Robinson, Sullinger, manbe even Patrick Young out of Florida might, or would go before Gilchrist. Then you have a lot of competition at his position as well with Barnes, Perry Jones, Quincy Miller, LeBrayan Nash, , and even his own teammate Terrence Jones. So I'd say yes, its very possible for the Kings, if they don't make the playoffs (they forfeit thier first round pick to Cleveland if not in the lottery) to get Gilchrist.

Anthony Davis, the chances are slim. He's a top three pick, and probably the first pick in the draft. So we would need a lot of luck to get him. But who knows, Maybe its our year. You put him next to Cousins on the floor, and my god, we'd suddenly become one of the best defensive frontcourts in the NBA. Maybe not immediately, but it wouldn't take long. Davis is currently averaging 4.5 blocked shots a game. And unlike a lot of college shotblockers, he's also rebounding well.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Because I don't have a TV right now and am unable to watch college games, I'm going to totally rely upon bajaden. When I get a TV for March Madness I'll then contradict him on everything he says...:D

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If we get a high pick, trade it. Enough of this getting young talent. We keep doing that, we'll still be looking at the draft for help as Reke walks, and then Cousins. Time to push towards postseason basketball, not waiting a couple years on developing young talent. Also highly doubt a top 5 pick in this draft will like the idea of coming in and taking a back seat to Cousins, Reke and Thornton.

The better the draft, and this will be a good one, and the higher the pick, the more we can get in a trade. I AM NOT looking at the draft as an opportunity to get another 19 or 20 yr old, not that anyone cares what I think. But no! Trade the damn pick.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If we get a high pick, trade it. Enough of this getting young talent. We keep doing that, we'll still be looking at the draft for help as Reke walks, and then Cousins. Time to push towards postseason basketball, not waiting a couple years on developing young talent. Also highly doubt a top 5 pick in this draft will like the idea of coming in and taking a back seat to Cousins, Reke and Thornton.

The better the draft, and this will be a good one, and the higher the pick, the more we can get in a trade. I AM NOT looking at the draft as an opportunity to get another 19 or 20 yr old, not that anyone cares what I think. But no! Trade the damn pick.
If the Kings had a history of actually developing young players, would you feel differently?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If the Kings had a history of actually developing young players, would you feel differently?
Maybe.

But we're not rebuilding anymore, and shouldn't be trying to gather the youngest talent available. We need vets, and we need leadership. We need much better role players. If we can't get them through free agency with more cap space than anyone, than using a top pick, packaged, might be our best bet.

A lot of posters here already think us being a small town is excuse enough to not attract a good FA. I don't know what moves we can make to get a good complimentary players without including Reke/Cousins/Thornton. So the next, most logical step, would be to use a top pick to trade for a complimentary player which actually fits and helps this team move forward. At least in my mind.

So it's not just our lack of ability to develop youngsters. It's also our lack of ability to compete in the FA market, which we just saw. So use that pick to help get what we need and move forward, not wait for another rook to develop.

I'd much prefer to keep the pick, personally. I think we can get a player that really fits our team and helps us going forward. Plenty of good SFs here. Nor do I trust Petrie to make a solid trade - he's much better at drafting.

We ARE still rebuilding. This is the youngest team in the NBA, we're not ready to compete, and won't be for a while. I'd rather get a big talent that will take a couple years to really shine, and be relevant with our other young players, than a vet who will be past it when we're coming up properly. That doesn't mean I don't want good vets, just means I'm not prepared to give up a good young player unless it's a great deal for us, and I don't see it happening.

I'd much prefer to keep the pick, personally. I think we can get a player that really fits our team and helps us going forward. Plenty of good SFs here. Nor do I trust Petrie to make a solid trade - he's much better at drafting.

We ARE still rebuilding. This is the youngest team in the NBA, we're not ready to compete, and won't be for a while. I'd rather get a big talent that will take a couple years to really shine, and be relevant with our other young players, than a vet who will be past it when we're coming up properly. That doesn't mean I don't want good vets, just means I'm not prepared to give up a good young player unless it's a great deal for us, and I don't see it happening.
agreed! houston traded the rights to rudy gay for shane battier. they could've had gay, tmac and yao :)

i think this is the year we will win the lotto. we're way overdue. drummond please!

I have four players I really like, and two of them I have liked for a few years now.

These aren't necessarily the guys I would take at #1, but these are guys that could all be in our range come draft time (7-14).

Michael Gilchrist - One of the best competitors I've seen in a long time. He's so good because he really wants it more than everyone else. So fun to watch, and has a game I can easily see translating into the NBA.

John Henson - Henson has been a favorite of mine for 2 years now. He was really raw, and still is raw, but unlike so many other freak athletes who get drafted on potential alone he has actually gotten better. Like, tangibly better. Better in ways you can see when you watch him that also show up in the stat sheet. He is an absolute monster athlete and shot-blocker, and quite honestly just about a perfect fit next to DeMarcus Cousins. He's at the top of my Kings wishlist right now.

Kendall Marshall - If this ball movement problem we have doesn't figure itself out by seasons end, Kendall Marshall is a guy we could bring in and change that problem right away. Far and away my favorite PG in this years draft. I wouldn't call him a 'flashy' passer like Ricky Rubio, but he is so smart and can read a defense so well .... I'm going to be very jealous of whichever team drafts him.

Austin Rivers - Rivers reminds me of the version of Harrison Barnes we saw last season. Super huge prospect with a ton of pressure on him but hasn't been able to live up to it thus far. I still think he has superstar potential though, and if he's there when we pick ... damn, it would be hard to pass him up. The problem is he is just a terrible fit on this roster right now, so while I like him, it would be hard to justify drafting him if the roster stays the way it is right now.

My ideal scenario is somehow drafting both Marshall and Henson. I don't know how we'd do it ... If Marshall is there around 14 or so I'd try and swing Jimmer to a team for him. I suppose you could also try and swing Hickson (with his bird rights) and Honeycutt for a pick in that range as well.

I'm just saying, if you can inject Kendall Marshall and John Henson into this lineup with Cousins and Evans ... Those are the exact type of role players you want on the floor with your two stars.