Island of Pain and Misery Voting: D-Mass' Island (5) Vs. Jespher's Island (8)

Which Island Would You LEAST Want to Live On?

• D-Mass' Island

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Jespher's Island

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Again, life interfering.
Loosely using the term, as I love being wrapped up back at work.
:p

Anyways, The semi-finals will be posted tomorrow at around 4:00.

If this thread remains a tie, there will be a tie-breaker where one team gets to eliminate one of the others pick, and vice-versa...There will then be a 12-hour over-time to determine who goes on.

The semi's would be posted after those results.

I fail to understand how the voting is this close...

People would really rather watch their family and friends mutilated and murdered in constantly moving solitary boxes that listen to Barney and loud toys? Wow :eek:...

People would really rather watch their family and friends mutilated and murdered in constantly moving solitary boxes that listen to Barney and loud toys? Wow :eek:...
Speaking purely as an observer (hell, I haven't even voted in this one), it's not terribly surprising that it would be so close. There seemed to be a big division in this draft based not only on what people were picking, but how people were picking. You and D-Mass pretty well express the two extremes in that category.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Speaking purely as an observer (hell, I haven't even voted in this one), it's not terribly surprising that it would be so close. There seemed to be a big division in this draft based not only on what people were picking, but how people were picking. You and D-Mass pretty well express the two extremes in that category.
Agreed.

It's just interesting, because I have yet to meet a person who would prefer extreme physical pain to an annoyance...I was very surprised.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
It's just interesting, because I have yet to meet a person who would prefer extreme physical pain to an annoyance...I was very surprised.
I think some think of the whimsical selections as "inspired" and do not necessarily look for only the things that would cause the most amount of pain. These drafts are supposed to be fun, not just depressing (for a pain and misery draft). ;)

Jespher your island is probably the most miserable thing in existence, if that is the sole criteria you win running away. I didn't vote but I would have voted for your opponent because a) you went a little over the top at times and b) I think you cheated a bit by having food and drink in the same pick, not sure if anyone else did that and I just missed it, but it effectively gave you an extra pick... which if it was your closer, was a doozy and again just a bit much.

I have to admit that I thought I was drafting the way I figured most people would...I made it my own personal bummer of a place to be. I wasn't looking to make it tortuous at all. Even my parasite pick at number 1 was really just intended to highlight something I think is fascinating. I really didn't expect to get any votes once I saw how others were drafting...I thought that maybe I missed the point of the whole thing. I was just trying to have a good time with it.

Jespher your island is probably the most miserable thing in existence, if that is the sole criteria you win running away. I didn't vote but I would have voted for your opponent because a) you went a little over the top at times
And castration/cannibalism isn't over the top?

and b) I think you cheated a bit by having food and drink in the same pick, not sure if anyone else did that and I just missed it, but it effectively gave you an extra pick... which if it was your closer, was a doozy and again just a bit much.
If I cheated, this is the first time I heard of it. I made that selection in the 3rd round, so I'd be surprised to be disqualified on a technicality now :confused:. As for misunderstanding the spirit of the draft, I was drafting items to craft a situation that was, as the draft thread implied, the most painful, and miserable scenario. Given that that also was the question, "Which island would you least want to live on", then I'm perplexed as to how I fail to get consideration...

Obviously, it would just make things easier if I just went away, Barry Bonds style, but somehow it feels like I have to fight to be heard here...I guess I'm out...

Last edited:
You don't need to get so defensive, I didn't even vote. Everything I vote for loses anyways and I've never won a single voting round in a draft I've participated in, so you're in good company.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Alright, we have a tie.

Both D-Mass and Jespher get to remove one pick from the others island, and there will be a 12 hour OverTime.

PM's being sent.

Ugh...how did I get into this mess??

I'll play along, but honestly, I'm not sure what I'd get rid of that would solve this at all. I guess I'll close my eyes and randomly point at one...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SLAB - No offense and I don't mean to butt in, but that just doesn't seem like a very good way to break the tie. Why not have each of them reduce their islands to the FIVE most painful and miserable things and have the voting be on which island is now the one you'd least like to be stranded on with only five things to make your life unbearable?

Just a suggestion but I think it would be more reflective than picking one item...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Damn! I did not get my vote in. Without reading the thread and knowing if the tiebreaker has been established. My vote is for D-Mass.