Is Tonight's Game in HD?

Question

Got a question for anyone that knows.

I recently got a Big Screen TV, will HD improve the picture quality that is coming through even if you do not have the HD Receiver? I have noticed that some channels picture quality comes through better than others. I cannot see spending the extra money for HD with the limited channels that are offered.

Any Feedback would be helpful.

I think you need an HDTV receiver to get the full effect of "High Definition." It really is the future of how we view television. The clarity is superb and you actually feel like everything is so much more real. I'm so envious of everyone who gets to watch every Kings games, let alone watch them on HDTV .

gbubar said:
Is tonight's game going to be in HD on channel 10?
It is my understanding that everything broadcast over channel 10's digital channels are always either HD quality or digital quality (ie, 10.1, 10.2).

Crackerman said:
I recently got a Big Screen TV, will HD improve the picture quality that is coming through even if you do not have the HD Receiver?
Your improved picture quality is the improved digital reception that you are receiving, but if you had HD, it would be even clearer than that.

We have an HD receiver linked to DirecTV. All the local channels are broadcast on HD or digital on a seperate station, and for sports events, yes, I do think HD makes a huge difference in clarity, especially for sports events and especially on a big screen. But you are right that there are limited channels. DirecTV is now offering a few additional channels on HD free for 6 months, which includes ESPN (thank goodness), but I'm not sure if the less than 5 stations justify the $10? that I think they want to charge for it in the future. Hopefully, they will add more in the future, but it is free for now.

Last edited:
Lightforms said:
It is my understanding that everything broadcast over channel 10's digital channels are always either HD quality or digital quality (ie, 10.1, 10.2).
What happens is everything broadcast on their digital channels is sent out in either 720p or 1080i (I am guessing that news10 is 720p since most ABC stations are). Now the question is if the source of the programming is HD or not.
Most of the time it won't be and it is upconverted and the picture you get wuold be an equivalent of a little bit better DVD.
Most ABC primetime programming is in HD and that is where you get an actual HD signal come through. Monday Night Football is in HD as well.

HD picture will always be in 16:9 widescreen format and if it isn't than it is not in HD (exceptions are some older sitcoms and shows that Mark Cuban and his HDNet broadcasts that was shot on film but not in widescreen format).

Just to add, I am not disputing what you said. What you said is 100% correct :)

Tonight's game is broadcast in both digital and HD on channel 10. All Kings games on channel 10 are broadcast on HD, with an HD receiver.

Last edited:
Lightforms said:
Tonight's game is broadcast in both digital and HD on channel 10. All Kings games on channel 10 are broadcast on HD, with an HD receiver.
Are you sure that it was in HD? I am 99% confident that they don't do away games in HD. Your HD receiver will report it as HD because it gets upconverted to HD format , but it is not true HD (16:9 - unless you are stretching it).

yup, it is, you can't change the aspect ratio on it. The maloofs have been broadcasting it on HD on 31 and 10 this way the past few seasons, if you can get the HD station. You can definately tell if it isn't HD. (blurry little heads running around, with little detail.)

I heard the comcast station is only broadcasting home games on HD, but this isn't though comcast.

Can you even get "true HD" through comcast cable?

Last edited:
I know HD is nice but frankly I can't see spending the money on a big screen HD TV so my kids can watch Spongebob!!!

I'm usually relegated to the smaller TV in the kitchen so I could care less. The only thing I would want to see on HD is Christina Mendonsa.....

For us, the big screen ends up being our "movie theater" because with little kids, its hard to take them to movies and you can't take them to see "big people" movies.

And if you are going to get a big screen, you quickly realize that because the screen is bigger, the image is not as clear as a smaller tv.

So then, that is when you have to look into receiving different kinds of broadcast signals.

If you didn't have anything but rabbit ears hooked up to your tv, then you'd be getting extremely fuzzy stuff. It wouldn't make the cost of your big screen worth viewing.

Lightforms said:
yup, it is, you can't change the aspect ratio on it. The maloofs have been broadcasting it on HD on 31 and 10 this way the past few seasons, if you can get the HD station. You can definately tell if it isn't HD. (blurry little heads running around, with little detail.)

I heard the comcast station is only broadcasting home games on HD, but this isn't though comcast.

Can you even get "true HD" through comcast cable?
Sure you can. I am getting ABC,CBS,NBC,WB,PBS,FOX,INHD1&2,ESPN-HD,and all the movie channels in HD through Comcast, plus a dual tuner HD DVR for $10 a month.

It is much harder to do away games in HD. Not even Mark Cuban does it and he owns his own HD company. It takes a lot more resources to do it. Since the digital version of news 10 is simulcasting whatever is on the regular news 10 channel, chances are that the picture will look better on digital one since it gets upconverted and enhanced. Not sure what news10 does when they are not showing an HD programming on their digital channel, but most likelely you will se black bars on each side. If you are seeing those bars than the progrem is not in HD. Some stations choose to stretch the picture (or slightly zoom in on the picture) to fill up the screen so people don't complain about bur in . If this is the case, your screen will be filled out, but you are not really seeing HD picture.

I asked some Sacramento people around on hdtv forums if the game was in HD last night and they confirmed it was not.

vj9999 said:
I asked some Sacramento people around on hdtv forums if the game was in HD last night and they confirmed it was not.
There are HDTV forums???? People have way too much time on their hands.....

Ryle said:
There are HDTV forums???? People have way too much time on their hands.....
Not really. There are a lot of people dedicated to the technology and some of these forums get 100x more traffic than forums like kingsfans :) A lot of people from the industry participate and it is a great source of information. Mark Cuban actually posts often as well.