Is Chamique back?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Koz was saying on the radio (during Sat. night's game) that Holdsclaw had to sit out one more game on the IR which would mean she would not be available against the Monarchs on Tues.

This headline is on WNBA.com tonight: Wash. Post: Holdsclaw back with Mystics

I didn't see what it said because I didn't want to have to register to read it. Anybody hear anything (one way or another) about this?

Nobody outside of Meek's inner circle seems to know precisely what her situation is and/or why other than privacy reason they have kept the nature of her "minor medical illness" under wraps. I have been hearing that she no longer wants to be part of the Mystics organization - this was before she showed up and started practicing with them again a few days ago. As enigmatic as Chamique has been in her WNBA career this is by far the most surreal.

Friday, September 3, 2004; Page D02

Washington Mystics forward Chamique Holdsclaw touched off more speculation yesterday by practicing with the team a day after being placed on the injured list.

Holdsclaw, who practiced with the Mystics last on July 22 and has missed four of the past five games with what the club has termed a "minor medical condition," displayed no visible signs of injury or illness as she took part in drills and scrimmages.

"The bottom line is she was the leading rebounder in practice," said Mystics Coach Michael Adams, adding that the reason she was there was "to get some reps up and see how she felt and be part of the group."

Holdsclaw's illness has been kept a closely guarded secret by the Mystics, who are in last place in the WNBA's Eastern Conference after losing, 77-58, at home Wednesday night to the Indiana Fever.

The decision to keep her condition private has led to much conjecture around the league. For her part, Holdsclaw has been very tight-lipped. She released a statement on the team's Web site Tuesday, calling it a "minor medical condition" and last month told reporters: "I'm not pregnant. I don't have cancer. . . . I'm not addicted to any type of drug."

Whatever the ailment, it does not seem to affect Holdsclaw's mobility. It would, however, seem to prevent her from rooting her teammates on from the bench. Holdsclaw did not join her teammates on the sideline during Wednesday night's loss. According to Mystics center Chasity Melvin, she had informed the club that same day that she felt well enough to practice the following morning.

"She was cleared by management and coaches to not be there [Wednesday]," said Judy Holland-Burton, the club's senior vice president of basketball operations.

I checked dates and the Mystics schedule, and she should not be eligible to play against the Monarchs, but could come off the IR after that game.

It really won't matter, IMO, whether she plays or not -- the Monarchs should win this game. I'm hoping that home-cooking for Kara and Rebekkah, as well as tons of fans for Ticha and Tanti, will make them relax and let the game come to them. I'd really like to see them come out of the gate in full control just once.

HoopMatron

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd....it seems the Monarchs are intent on taking the "scenic route" to the playoffs instead of the interstate highway.

Chamique who?!?!?

I'm in the D.C. Metro area and I haven't heard anything about mique coming back. I hope she's ok. And HoopMatron is right, the Monarchs should win this game regardless of if she plays or not.

She's Not Coming Back This Season......

http://www.wnba.com/mystics/news/holdsclaw_040908.html

Holdsclaw Releases Statement
Mystics Forward Will Not Return to Action This Season
September 8, 2004

Holdsclaw President of Washington Sports & Entertainment Susan O’Malley announced this afternoon that Chamique Holdsclaw will not return to action for the remainder of the 2004 WNBA season. Holdsclaw has missed the last six games due to a personal medical issue and was placed on the team’s Injured List on September 1st.

Holdsclaw issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon:

“Regrettably, I will not be returning to play for the remainder of the WNBA season.

I understand that many have called on me to further explain why I am not able to play. However, for reasons that are deeply personal, I find myself unable to provide a more detailed explanation at this time. I just do not yet feel comfortable addressing this publicly.

I recognize that the limited information that I have shared has resulted in a great deal of speculation about me. So, I do want to assure you that my circumstances are not life-threatening or even career-threatening. But, right now, my focus is on getting to the point where I feel able to play again.

I want to thank the Mystics organization, my coaches, my teammates and most of all the fans. Your continued support and patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for respecting my privacy.”

“Chamique has our continued support as she takes time to address a personal medical issue,” said O’Malley. “She will be missed by her teammates, coaches and most certainly our loyal Mystics fans as the team makes a push for the playoffs.”

The Mystics are just one game out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with five games remaining in the regular season. The team will take on the New York Liberty tomorrow, Thursday, September 9th at MCI Center at 7:00 p.m. in one of two home games left. The Mystics will play the final regular season home game of the year at MCI Center this Sunday, September 12th at noon vs. Houston. Tickets for both Thursday and Sunday are still available and can be purchased by visiting the MCI Center Box Office or calling TicketMaster PhoneCharge at (202) 397-SEAT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
DWalkfan22 said:
I probably shouldn't say this :) haha but am I the only one who thinks that Chamique might be pregnant?:eek:
No, you certainly are not the only one. In fact, Chamique herself addressed this conjecture. See the article posted by MBF (3rd post in this thread). Here is the paragraph I mentioned:

"The decision to keep her condition private has led to much conjecture around the league. For her part, Holdsclaw has been very tight-lipped. She released a statement on the team's Web site Tuesday, calling it a "minor medical condition" and last month told reporters: "I'm not pregnant. I don't have cancer. . . . I'm not addicted to any type of drug."

Chamique's health issue is most assuredly not a pregnancy, she apparently has had another bout of coach infection, this time she came up with an incurable case of MichaelAdamsitis. If the reports are true, this shallow*** injury crap she has been intent on perpetrating on her teammates and the Mystic/league fans is very disappointing and incredibly disingenuous. I will root for the Mique-less Mystics to make the playoffs without her and her antics. (With that said...if she wanted to take her headcase baggage to Sacramento next season, I volunteer to pick her and her double double average up at Sac Int'l Airport)

===============================================================

WASHINGTON -- Chamique Holdsclaw will not return to the Washington Mystics this season because of an undisclosed medical problem.

Holdsclaw has missed six straight games, and seven of the last eight. The Mystics forward has steadfastly refused to discuss the reason for her absence, other than to rule out cancer, pregnancy and drug addiction.

Stuck in last place in the East, the Mystics will have to carry on without their best player.

In a statement issued Wednesday by the team, Holdsclaw said her condition is not life-threatening or career-threatening.

"Regrettably, I will not be returning to play for the remainder of the WNBA season," the statement read.

"I understand that many have called on me to further explain why I am not able to play. However, for reasons that are deeply personal, I find myself unable to provide a more detailed explanation at this time. I just do not yet feel comfortable addressing this publicly."

The Washington Times, citing WNBA sources, reported Thursday that there is a conflict between Holdsclaw and first-year coach Michael Adams that is so strong that one of them is sure to leave following the season.

"I recognize that the limited information that I have shared has resulted in a great deal of speculation ... I do want to assure you that my circumstances are not life-threatening or even career-threatening," the statement read. "But, right now, my focus is on getting to the point where I feel able to play again."

Holdsclaw ranked second in scoring when she failed to show up for a game against Charlotte on July 24. She played in the next game, against Detroit as a reserve, and has not suited up since. She was placed on the injured list Sept. 1.

Holdsclaw was averaging 19 points per game. She opted out of the U.S. national team for the Athens Olympics, and missed the WNBA All-Star Game.

Washington is 13-16 and in last place in the Eastern Conference.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Beard Leads Mystics to Win
Washington Gets Closer In Hunt for Playoff Berth: Mystics 71, Liberty 59
By Greg Sandoval
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 10, 2004; Page D03

The Washington Mystics entered the final five-game stretch of their season last night with playoff hopes still flickering and the controversy surrounding the absence of their best player showing no signs of abating.

Without three-time all-star forward Chamique Holdsclaw, who will miss the remainder of the season with what she has described as a "personal medical issue," the Mystics defeated the New York Liberty, 71-59, before 10,037 at MCI Center.

The Mystics (14-16), buoyed by 26 points from rookie Alana Beard, trail New York (14-14), Charlotte and Indiana (both 15-15) by one game with four to play. The top two teams in the WNBA's Eastern Conference earn playoff berths.

The win was the Mystics' second straight. Washington improved to 4-3 without Holdsclaw and 10-6 at home.

Meantime, Mystics players and coaches went out of their way to refute a Washington Times report in Thursday's editions that stated Holdsclaw's absence was due to a rift with Coach Michael Adams.

Team president Susan O'Malley, making her second statement in as many days on the issue, said: "Chamique is on the injured list with a personal medical issue," the statement said.

After the game, Mystics personnel consultant Pat Summitt, who coached Holdsclaw at the University of Tennessee, also addressed the matter: "The idea that Chamique is not on the active roster due to a disagreement with Coach Adams is completely false. She is on the injured list for medical reasons."

Mystics forward Murriel Page, who played with Holdsclaw for five seasons and considers Holdsclaw a close friend, said Holdsclaw "respects" Adams and finds him "caring."

"They have a coach-player relationship but they are very friendly," Page said. "There were never any fights or problems."

Page said that there are a few people on the team with whom Holdsclaw has shared what is wrong and she is one of them.

"I have to respect her privacy but I can say it's definitely not because of any fight [with Adams]," Page said. Without Holdsclaw in the lineup, the Mystics regrouped with renewed determination to make postseason.

"Any coach would want the 19 points and 10 rebounds that Holdsclaw gives you," Adams said. "We don't have a player that can break the defense down and get their own shots beyond Alana Beard, so we have to get some easy baskets by getting the ball to our post players."

Against the Liberty, the tandem of Nakia Sanford and Chasity Melvin claimed the territory under the basket for themselves, and Washington's back-court players stifled New York's outside shooters.

Sanford finished with the second double-double of her career, scoring 11 points and tied her season high for rebounds with 13. In Tuesday's victory over Sacramento, Sanford was held to one field goal, but also grabbed 13 rebounds.

"There's no pressure because nobody expects us to do it," said Sanford. "This is an opportunity for some players to prove themselves in the limelight. Some of us will get more touches and that will let them show what they can do."