Insider Article for 11/11/04

Here you guys:

One team is 4-1 and a contender for the Eastern Conference throne. The other is 1-4, and sinking fast in the wild, wild West.

Each has an All-Star small forward who has been an integral part of the team's success in the recent past; now it's time to trade them for each other.

Without delay, Kings GM Geoff Petrie and Pacers GM Larry Bird should pick up the phone, call each other and offer to rekindle talks of a Peja Stojakovic for Ron Artest trade.

Here's why:

In Sacramento, Stojakovic's heart is not in it. After the team let Vlade Divac go this summer and turned the leadership of the team over to Chris Webber, Stojakovic wanted to bolt.

Through his agent, David Bauman, he asked to be traded, claiming he no longer felt comfortable on the team.

Through a month of training camp and the first two weeks of the season, it has shown. The trade request rankled the Kings, who got in several shouting matches with Bauman over the course of the summer. Stojakovic's teammates weren't pleased either. But it has had an even bigger effect on Peja.

League sources told Insider that Stojakovic has been aloof with teammates and a recluse in both the locker room and on the team plane.

Even more troubling, Stojakovic has changed his legendary practice habits. That might explain why the best shooter in the NBA is shooting a troubling 19-percent from 3.

Sources claim that for years Stojakovic spent an extra two hours in the gym, even on game night, practicing his shot. NBA coaches who've worked with Stojakovic through the years have used his preparation as a motivational speaking topic to show how the best shooter in the league became the best shooter in the league.

For the first time in his career, though, those two-hour shooting sessions are off, several sources told Insider. With his heart no longer in Sacramento, he's spending the time with his wife and new child while he waits out the Kings.

There's also a growing rift in the locker room, with Webber, Mike Bibby, Bobby Jackson, Doug Christie and Brad Miller on one side and, well, ... Stojakovic on the other.

Stojakovic isn't the only problem for the Kings. There's a growing feud between Bibby and head coach Rick Adelman that ended in a Bibby tirade against Adelman on the team plane last week.

A slow start hasn't helped matters. Any fissures that were there at the start of training camp seem to be growing by the day.

There's a growing consensus that Adelman's job is in serious jeopardy. He might be the first one on the Kings to go, but whomever replaces him is going to have to get some of the other internal issues fixed.

In Indiana, Artest's heart appears not be in it. He made that clear earlier this week when he went to head coach Rick Carlisle and asked for time off because of personal issues that led to mental and physical fatigue.

"My body has been aching; I was going to take some time off, and I said it the wrong way," Artest told reporters on Wednesday night. "Everything that happened wasn't too negative. I kind of surprised the team by wanting to take some games off, just to get back together, maybe stay home for a little bit, rest a little bit and come back."

He certainly surprised Carlisle, who said Tuesday the situation "compromised the integrity of the team. It's a private team matter, and I'm going to leave it at that."

The twist, which came out Wednesday night, is that Artest attributed some of that fatigue to work he was doing promoting his rap album due out Nov. 23.

When reporters asked Artest whether his work on the album contributed to his fatigue, he responded. "I've been doing a little bit too much music, just needed the rest," Artest said. "I've still got my album coming out Nov. 23. After the album comes out I'm going to make sure all of my time is focused on winning a championship."

Artest's explanation surprised the Pacers and caused a firestorm nationally.

Pacers president Donnie Walsh told Insider on Thursday morning that Artest did not ask for time off because of his work on the rap album nor was he being punished for his work on the album.

"He had a number of things going on his life," Walsh said. "He came into camp weighing 260 pounds. It was the first time in his career he hasn't really been in shape. The heavy minutes he's been playing were taking their toll physically. And he had other personal issues that were troubling him. The rap stuff never came up."

While Walsh doesn't discount the fact Artest's schedule promoting the album may have contributed to his conditioning and lack of focus, he had nothing but praise for Artest.

"He's the one guy that gives maximum effort on our team every day, whether that be in the practice or the games," Walsh said. "That's been true this year as well. No one here is questioning his effort or his intensity. He just had some things that had to be worked out and Rick and Ron agreed on a course of action that led to him sitting out the last two games. He wasn't suspended or fined. It wasn't about that."
As part of the agreement, Artest was asked to stay with the team and dress for the games. Artest claims the decision to sit him a few games was appopriate.

"It was a good decision," Artest said. "I need the rest. There's a lot of things going on.

"There was no crime done. I think it helped out. I was tired. I was doing a lot. I was running around a lot and doing a whole bunch of stuff, and I've also been working out, so I think I wore myself down physically, I wore myself down mentally. I was ready to take some time off, at least like a month off, but two games is enough."

It didn't help the Pacers, who were blown out by the Clippers on their home floor Wednesday with Artest on the bench.

While the Pacers love Artest, the player, Carlisle's patience with Artest, the person, is wearing thin. If the Pacers are going to contend for a title this year, they have to be able to trust him.

Is Artest the Ricky Williams of the NBA? Is he one trip to Australia away from never coming back?

The Trade

With all that's going on with each player, you've got to wonder if either is worth trading for at this point.

The Pacers discussed an Artest trade twice this summer. The first was with Orlando, when the Magic were shopping Tracy McGrady.

The second was with Sacramento, when the first signs of Stojakovic's misgivings began to surface. The two players' salaries are virtually identical, though Artest's deal runs for two years longer than Stojakovic's.

The Kings turned the Pacers and everyone else away (the Bulls and Suns also made a run), in part, because they felt Stojakovic would get over his initial disappointment of losing Divac and return to camp focused and ready to compete.

That clearly isn't happening. Stojakovic's agent has made it clear to the Kings that he'll show up to practice and play hard in the games – but he still wants out.

Given the Kings performance, and Stojakovic's in particular, it's hard to see how the Kings are going to make this work. He's not getting over it.

The Pacers continue to maintain publicly they love Artest and believe he's a vital piece of their team. But the trade talks have happened and are expected to intensify in the wake of this latest episode. In fact, the Pacers might have tried to keep the story quiet, in part, to keep his trade value higher.
Neither team is going to get a better deal for its star small forward.

The Pacers would be the perfect fit for Stojakovic. They are a championship caliber team looking for one last piece of the puzzle to put them over the top. He has a work ethic and game that Bird loves. He has the ability to hit clutch shots, and with Jermaine O'Neal drawing double-teams in the paint, he should get plenty of wide-open looks on the perimeter.

The Pacers would miss Artest's toughness and defense. There were times in the playoffs last season when he, not O'Neal, looked like the Pacers' MVP. However, he imploded in the Eastern Conference Finals, shooting just 31 for 104 from the field.

The Kings aren't going to get a better offer than Artest. Put aside the off-court issues for a second. He's the best on-the-ball defender in the league, has emerged as a potent defensive player and has a toughness about him the Kings have sorely lacked the past few seasons.

The Kings would miss Stojakovic's shooting, but they have other players; Bibby and Jackson; who can stroke it from 3. Stojakovic has been a clutch performer, but he, too, cooled greatly in the playoffs. He shot just 31 percent from 3 after shooting 43 percent in the regular season.

Of course, the Kings can't ignore Artest's off-court issues. In a perfect world, the Pacers wouldn't make this trade, because Artest is the more valuable player. In Artest's world, however, his flakiness quota is high enough they'd pull the trigger.

You could argue a trade is just what Artest needs. He has great confidence, maybe too much confidence, and shipping him away might be the reality check he needs to get focused again. But there's just no way to predict what Artest will or won't do in Sacramento, or anywhere else.

Carlisle and the Pacers have grown tired of the unpredictability. But it might be a welcome change in Sacramento. The Kings have enough support players around him, and it's clear they have to do something different this year if they're going to make a run at the title.

It's time to make the call, Larry and Geoff, before things get any worse

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
BayAreaKingsFan said:
League sources told Insider that Stojakovic has been aloof with teammates and a recluse in both the locker room and on the team plane.

Even more troubling, Stojakovic has changed his legendary practice habits. That might explain why the best shooter in the NBA is shooting a troubling 19-percent from 3.

Sources claim that for years Stojakovic spent an extra two hours in the gym, even on game night, practicing his shot. NBA coaches who've worked with Stojakovic through the years have used his preparation as a motivational speaking topic to show how the best shooter in the league became the best shooter in the league.

For the first time in his career, though, those two-hour shooting sessions are off, several sources told Insider. With his heart no longer in Sacramento, he's spending the time with his wife and new child while he waits out the Kings.
OUCH!

If that is true, that's kind of worst case scenario stuff. It would also mean that either its got to change or he's got to go.

Unclear where this info is coming from -- some of the info is recycled. But some of it seems unusually in the know.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
OUCH!

If that is true, that's kind of worst case scenario stuff. It would also mean that either its got to change or he's got to go.

Unclear where this info is coming from -- some of the info is recycled. But some of it seems unusually in the know.
Go were?
I mean, no good organisation wants a player who is not a professional.
I am very upset with Predrag because it is obvious that he does not care that much anymore. I have watched him last night and I strongly diliked what I saw.
wanting out is one thing (legitimate or not) - desertion is an other.

i'm not sure artest is the answer tho. with adelman's softness with the team, he'll be tough to manage -- not to mention he is in a self proclaimed sabatical to promote his "rap album".:D

piksi

Hall of Famer
justthisonce said:
i'm not sure artest is the answer tho. with adelman's softness with the team, he'll be tough to manage -- not to mention he is in a self proclaimed sabatical to promote his "rap album".:D
just imagine what would happen if his album is a success. Understandably it would be hard for him to find time for BB considering all othe obligations.

Hmmm....while this does make me wonder (think) about things, I have this bias against writers outside of the city. Why isn't anyone here, who reports and writes on the team on a daily basis akeen to these (so-called) issues. (Can't believe I'm asking for it)Where's Aileen and her "sources" now?

This is either a) True and Peja is getting very bad advice from his agent. He is not increasing his stock value, and Petrie isn't going to trade him nothing, b) the media, well being the media.

Last edited:
justthisonce said:
There would be an upside, if we made the playoffs they could hand out Artest CD's to all the fans at Arco instead of Kings T-Shirts. JK!!!!

I would rather have a player that is heartbroken over Vlade Leaving then have a guy that is a headcase...

Crackerman said:
There would be an upside, if we made the playoffs they could hand out Artest CD's to all the fans at Arco instead of Kings T-Shirts. JK!!!!

I would rather have a player that is heartbroken over Vlade Leaving then have a guy that is a headcase...
Ok, but if Peja is upset becasue Vlade left, becasue his security blanket is gone, then he isn't all right up there. The guy is 27 years old, married and with a kid, he's got to be more grown up than that.

Bricklayer

ReinadelosReys said:
Hmmm....while this does make me wonder (think) about things, I have this bias against writers outside of the city. Why isn't anyone here, who reports and writes on the team on a daily basis akeen to these (so-called) issues. (Can't believe I'm asking for it)Where's Aileen and her "sources" now?

This is either a) True and Peja is getting very bad advice from his agent. He is not increasing his stock value, and Petrie isn't going to trade him nothing, b) the media, well being the media.
I share that bias -- they are normally full of hooey.

that said...this article had a disturbing number of details included that would make one believe that the writer knew something (maybe not the complete story and maybe slanted -- i.e. I assume Bibby's "tirade" came after he sat out the entire 4th quarter in the opener, and maybe Peja has only been occasionally skipping his extra work -- but doubt such specificity is made up out of whole cloth).

Prolly didnt help when the OFTEN injured Webber had the stones to call Peja soft.Peja who shoulderd the brunt of the load while Webber sat on his can for an injury then for the suspention for commiting college basketball blasphemy by excepting money.Maybe Peja was a little bit tired in the playoffs.Now Peja's character much like Webbers is in question Peja needs to man up and get on his game and prove he is a superstar.The best way IMO for Peja to metaphoricly smack Webber, is to outplay him.Practicing half as$ is chicken bleep and Peja should be above all that.But I do think Peja has a right to be upset what Webber said was uncalled for given he hasnt proven that he is all that hard either.

Bricklayer said:
I share that bias -- they are normally full of hooey.

that said...this article had a disturbing number of details included that would make one believe that the writer knew something (maybe not the complete story and maybe slanted -- i.e. I assume Bibby's "tirade" came after he sat out the entire 4th quarter in the opener, and maybe Peja has only been occasionally skipping his extra work -- but doubt such specificity is made up out of whole cloth).
Who is this "insider" and what is his accuracy rate? What if I were to claim I know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, who knows Mike Bibby and says the Mike thinks very fondly of coach or that Peja just got a new hardwood floor in his house so he's doing all his practicing there to spend as much time with his new family? What did Webb say a couple of weeks back, "believe only half of what you read and none of what you hear"

In all honesty, if Peja was doing any of this stuff, why wouldn't Adelman invite him to his doghouse and bench him or let him know who's in charge!?

Peja is just one of the players on the team and if he is not preparing properly for the games then the coach is more than aware of it and has every tight to bench him or do whatever. Peja has still been geting more playing time and minutes than anybody else on our starting team. That doesn't suggest in any way to me that Adelman is playing somebody who has been slacking, but someone who is trying too play as hard as he can.

Peja has sucked on offense so far, but his defense has improved more and more. I would even dare to say he has been our best defensive player so far.

I want to know two things.

Why is this reporter pimping a Stojakovic-Artest trade?

The writer appears to have a vested interest in the success of the Indiana Pacers. He might even have a lip-lock on Larry Byrd.

There is absolutely no doubt that Ron Artest is a certified head-case. He may simply be too stupid to know the significance of his dumb comments and anomalous behavior. On the other hand, I think it is still too early to conclude that Peja Stojakovic is a lost-cause. To paraphrase mark Twain, I think the significance of Peja's recent on-court performances and apparently negative attitude, indeed his eminent demise as a Sacramento King, may be greatly exagerated.

Is there any substance to this alleged Bibby-Adelman conflict?

I can't imagine what would prompt Mike Bibby to get into the face of Rick Adelman. It would be different if Bibby were playing well and Adelman was routinely making dumb decisions. I see a lot of missed shots, poorly timed laziness, and periodic lapses into "hardwood chaos". I think it would be a huge mistake for the Maloofs to blame Adelman for the Kings' recent failures. The firing of Adelman would clearly be a scape-goat manuever at this point.

As I have stated before, I believe that the Kings are still adjusting to the loss of Vlade Divac. Furthermore, I think that the Kings will be firing on all cylinders by Christmas. Peja will be back!

Of course, I actually thought the Iraqis were ready for self-government.

W

Whit Eboy

Agree with the Insider article. That's it, "It's time to make the call, Larry and Geoff, before things get any worse"

I was thinking it was going to be a long off season, but now I have a feeling it is going to be an even longer season.

I don't care what any insiders say. We have a GM and if he wants do make any deals, then go ahead. Until then, I will support the team that we ahve right now, win or loose.

Maybe few loses aren't that bad, to bring us down to the ground.

vj9999 said:
I was thinking it was going to be a long off season, but now I have a feeling it is going to be an even longer season.

I don't care what any insiders say. We have a GM and if he wants do make any deals, then go ahead. Until then, I will support the team that we ahve right now, win or loose.

Maybe few loses aren't that bad, to bring us down to the ground.
Word. Well said!

Bricklayer

quick dog said:
Of course, I actually thought the Iraqis were ready for self-government.
Yes, I recall. ;)

As far as Bibby/Adelman -- I presume if that happened it was after Rick benched Mike for the entire 4th quarter against Dallas. I also presume that that was the extent of it and any "feud" is the standard embellishment that all columnists seem religiously attached to (perhaps we should call the disease "columnistitis").

Now Peja...well the danger there isn't so much with Peja himself even if he is dogging it. It is in his relationship with the rest of the team. If you're struggling as a team and you need a guy, and he won't talk to anybody and is half-assing it, just how much patience will the team have before they basically say "screw you Peja"? Kind of hard for somebody to announce in January after quitting on the team for months that "hey, I've decided I'm going to try now". Response might very well be "bite me".

I know nothing about the author, or who it even is. Certainly had any number of bad articles writt4en by hacks on this subject over the summer. But like I say, this guy/gal included a lot of details that you normally don't see coming from a Sam Smith -- normally the B.S. people are making broad sweeping statements based on recycled info. When you are actually making specific allegations thouogh -- so and so fought with so and so, Peja has quit his nomal practice routine etc. -- that sounds to me like someone who must actually have heard something. Rarely are you going to totally invent events (as opposed to blanket statement suhc as "Peja is unhappy") because they are likely to be refuted.

Think about having two of the best rappers on the same team...C-Webb and Artest...all we would need is for Shaq to fill the middle and AI to take over the point and we would be set. But seriously, the Kings have to look at getting something for Peja now rather than waiting til next year because he has said that he will not resign with the Kings when his contract is up in 2 years and if they wait til next year then the Kings won't get as much in return since he may only be looked at as a hired gun and may leave that team after the one season. Artest is 2 years younger than Peja, makes about 1 mill less and is under contract for 2 more years than Peja. It makes complete sense to make this trade from a basketball and business standpoint. The only caveat would be Artest's past actions, but it might be worth the risk.

I suspect that if the worst scenario is true, and Peja is indeed determined to make himself "Useless in Sacamento", then he will indeed force a trade by January 2005. If traded, I think Peja will find out that other team situations (environments) may not be perfect either.

Assume he goes to the Pacers. What happens to him there if he never returns to his Kings All-Star form during the 2004-2005 season? Will Indiana fans give him the benefit of the doubt for another season? I'll bet fans will complain.

Trade him to the Knicks or the 76ers if he has to be traded.

BayAreaKingsFan said:

well thats the way to kick us fans in the gut. it also explains why peja has shot so poorly.

now i'm not sure if this is true ( it's espn insider, they aren't always right) but *IF* is, i'm sorry, but get rid of peja. the last thing i will support is a quitter, and *IF* this is indeed true, then peja is being a quitter. and i'd rather have a headcase then a quitter.

also one thing that surprises me a bit, wouldn't peja want to be working hard, putting up huge numbers to make him look more attractive to other teams??? no one is going to want someone who's shooting 33% ( whatever it is he's shooting, stat boy where are you :D ;) ) when that is his strength. his trade value has to be WAY down right now i would imagine.

ford will not let this peja/artest thing let up. i was reading one of this things on my cell phone ( i was shocked since it was an insider thing, but i didn't have to pay for it) he talked about it again, saying something like " why the kings didn't do this trade in the first place in beyond us"

bibby and adelman are fueding also??? whats next?

damn we are the lakers of last year drama wise.... *BARF*

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Diabeticwonder said:
The only caveat would be Artest's past actions, but it might be worth the risk.
That's a colossal caveat. You risk really messing up the entire franchise if you foul that one up (or more properly Artest does).

P.S. As you can see from the McGrady situation this summer, trading a guy going into his final season can still bring huge value in return unless he's a total ***. Don't think Peja is. Unless he's quitting on the team and torpedoing our season I'm not sure there is any real reason to make a move until next summer (when the disruption will not be as much and nearly every team would be in the market) -- figure the longer you keep him the better chance he changes his mind (obviously, since once he's traded its too late for him to change).

Last edited:
For whom? No one we want on those teams really.

I agree with Brick, this article has enough disturbing details to be credible.

As for Artest, it doesn't sound to me that he wants time off in order to promote his album, it's that he's worn out from promoting his album already and wants time off to rest up for the season. While that's still a bad call, if he wants to rest up to be able to play better, that's not as bad.

But back to the trade... We all justified Ostertag's past struggles under a hard nosed coach lilke Sloan and hoped he would succeed under Adelman's more player-oriented approach. Why not the same for Artest? We should look on how Sheed has blossomed after being known as a head case and model that approach; that is if we do indeed get him. At this point, I might be open to it regardless of any hiphop-ery.

quick dog said:
I suspect that if the worst scenario is true, and Peja is indeed determined to make himself "Useless in Sacamento", then he will indeed force a trade by January 2005. If traded, I think Peja will find out that other team situations (environments) may not be perfect either.

Assume he goes to the Pacers. What happens to him there if he never returns to his Kings All-Star form during the 2004-2005 season? Will Indiana fans give him the benefit of the doubt for another season? I'll bet fans will complain.

My theory on Peja and his desired to be traded, is that he is in a sense jealous (middle child syndrome) and wants to be "the man"-thus his presumed willingness to go anywhere-even the the bulls. He certianly won't be "the man" in Indy, I think J.O already has that covered.

Bricklayer said:
I dunno...is there such a thing as Serbian rap? ;)
heh I was actually responding to LPKingsfan about Artest taking time off to let his body heal and be a better player. But no, there are no excuses for Peja's supposed turn-around in work ethic or preparedness either.

Last edited:
As for the article though, it does sound pretty bleek. Peja is known as a ocmpliant person, so if the rift really is "rest of team vs Peja", that's pretty ugly, and Peja isn't one to be OK with that and still perform to his abilities. Even from a practical standpoint, Peja's game relies on cohesion and timing, and without it, he's just not as effective, which brings him, his team, and ultimately the organization down, because his trade value decreases.

Something must really be brewing in the lockerrom, conventional thought would be that there is at least somebody inthe locker-room who is with Peja and not Webber (if that is how it started), considering their success with him as the #1 option. Maybe this is beyond basketball - like nobody on the team wants to side with the player whose leaving, for the sake of their own locker-room repuation once he leaves.

Either way, it has to be adressed. If this rift is about Peja's trade request, you can't expect the locker-room situation to change until he's gone, which is anywhere between tomorrow and 2 years.