Iman Shumpert

This guy never gets mentioned, the Kings have wanted him for a while and we got him in the Hill trade and never played due to injury. Does this guy possibly start?

Well, the dude’s a champion for one. Who else on the roster has been there and done that?
That said, he doesn’t fit into our long term plans. But don’t diss him like he’s nothing.
I'll go ahead and says he's nothing. Shump is nothing. The guy can't stay healthy to save his life. He can't even manage to get on the court an average of 55 games a season during his career. He's 28 and already past his mediocre prime. The year they won the championship he started a whole 5 games during the regular season. He also had the worst defensive plus/minus of his career and was 11th on the team in scoring just beating out a 78 year old Richard Jefferson who was playing significantly less minutes than him. With the Cavs showing very little confidence in him they started him 0 times during the playoffs. Yeah he got a ring but you could have put pretty much anyone in his place and they would have a ring. Look at his post season stats below that got him that ring, they are garbage.

Shump.jpg

Last edited:
What is it with social media posters who treat people like garbage? In the real world, you wouldn't get 5 feet with that behavior before someone either takes you down or you get identified as a nut job. But on social media, anything goes. Be controversial. Be mean. Call people garbage. Utilize all your frustrations from your sad, disapppointing life to get a moment of attention at someone else's expense. It really brings out the worst in some people.

What is it with social media posters who treat people like garbage? In the real world, you wouldn't get 5 feet with that behavior before someone either takes you down or you get identified as a nut job. But on social media, anything goes. Be controversial. Be mean. Call people garbage. Utilize all your frustrations from your sad, disapppointing life to get a moment of attention at someone else's expense. It really brings out the worst in some people.
I don’t think it’s about gaining attention. Road rage is the same way- when critics are dissociated from their target, unabashed vitriol comes out. Moreover, people often do it in an offensive manner without any prerequisites, honesty, or ramifications in the real world, where it matters.

Talking a hot mess about sports players is standard. My coworker and I say players are trash ALL the time. On facebook or in person is not OK. In your car or about a basketball player isn’t the end of the world and doesn’t make one a sad or disappointing person. OK maybe if you have severe road rage then you're a sad person lol :p

Well, the dude’s a champion for one. Who else on the roster has been there and done that?
That said, he doesn’t fit into our long term plans. But don’t diss him like he’s nothing.
2015 Finals 6/4/1 on 25/32/64 splits in 35 mpg.

2016 Finals: 3/1/0 on 30/26/100

2017 Finals: 4/2/1 on 23/22/80

People say nasty things about players, opposing players, or anyone involved in a FO position. That's sports fandom, and you've all done it. I've seen the game threads. YOU in particular were so repulsed by Ben McLemore's presence in Sacramento that it gave you a stomach ache and would make you lose all respect for Vlade, apparently.

Saying Shumpert is nothing and his stats are garbage. So what? Shumpert is not a good NBA player by any stretch of the imagination and hasn't been for years. Being on the Kings isn't some magic spell to make him something he's not, though I suppose people will want to rationalize the FO's decision to acquire and/or play him.

This IS the real world. Technology has advanced so that people can invoke their 1st amendment rights to countless people from the comfort of their home. I'm simply stating my opinion on a player. Just because I didn't walk up to him and say it in his face doesn't mean I'm not allowed to say it or make me a "nut job." If you don't think Shumpert gets called much worse in his face by other players and fans at arenas all over the country INCLUDING his own then I don't know what to say. I'm also not on here to "get a moment of attention." I've been a member of this board for a long time and a visitor for much much longer. I rarely post and when I do it's not to fill some void from my "sad, disappointing life." I just found your view on the value of "dude’s a champion" to be exaggerated by the eye test when I watched that playoff run and finals series as well as his stats. Why do you think he opted in on his contract? You think anyone was going to offer him his 11mil he is owed this season? Just because he is a King now doesn't make me think he isn't going to hobble through another injury ridden season putting up poor stats like he has done throughout his entire career.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot JJ had some good SL games.
Unlike Shumpert who only played in 1 summer league game with the incredible stat line of 2 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists. I'm not saying JJ is a world beater or will ever be one. We don't know yet, but we DO know who and what Shumpert is. I'll take my chances developing JJ.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This IS the real world. Technology has advanced so that people can invoke their 1st amendment rights to countless people from the comfort of their home. I'm simply stating my opinion on a player. Just because I didn't walk up to him and say it in his face doesn't mean I'm not allowed to say it or make me a "nut job." If you don't think Shumpert gets called much worse in his face by other players and fans at arenas all over the country INCLUDING his own then I don't know what to say. I'm also not on here to "get a moment of attention." I've been a member of this board for a long time and a visitor for much much longer. I rarely post and when I do it's not to fill some void from my "sad, disappointing life." I just found your view on the value of "dude’s a champion" to be exaggerated by the eye test when I watched that playoff run and finals series as well as his stats. Why do you think he opted in on his contract? You think anyone was going to offer him his 11mil he is owed this season? Just because he is a King now doesn't make me think he isn't going to hobble through another injury ridden season putting up poor stats like he has done throughout his entire career.
No it isn't. It's a sports message board. And as a privately owned entity, we are not governed by the First Amendment. @jcassio wasn't referring to you in particular. His post was a comment on the anonymity of social media...and how it brings out the worst in some people, which pretty much goes without saying (and probably should have - at least in this venue).

Bottom line, name of the thread is Iman Shumpert. Ptrobably bee best for all concerned if we just got back to that.

No it isn't. It's a sports message board. And as a privately owned entity, we are not governed by the First Amendment. @jcassio wasn't referring to you in particular. His post was a comment on the anonymity of social media...and how it brings out the worst in some people, which pretty much goes without saying (and probably should have - at least in this venue).

Bottom line, name of the thread is Iman Shumpert. Ptrobably bee best for all concerned if we just got back to that.
This message board resides in real life. Of course this board is privately owned and can choose to censor negative opinions that fans have about a player but then that wouldn't leave much of a discussion. I don't think anything I said or anyone else in this thread was anything of the sort he was referring to either. I said Shumpert is garbage and provided statistical evidence. That is pretty mild to be honest. He was most definitely referring to me. I agree with you though, I would appreciate to get back on the topic at hand of Iman Shumpert.

I just want to say I would love nothing more for him to all of a sudden turn into a valuable piece on this team but I'm realistic and Iman Shumpert isn't changing his stripes just because he is putting on the purple and black.

2015 Finals 6/4/1 on 25/32/64 splits in 35 mpg.

2016 Finals: 3/1/0 on 30/26/100

2017 Finals: 4/2/1 on 23/22/80

People say nasty things about players, opposing players, or anyone involved in a FO position. That's sports fandom, and you've all done it. I've seen the game threads. YOU in particular were so repulsed by Ben McLemore's presence in Sacramento that it gave you a stomach ache and would make you lose all respect for Vlade, apparently.

Saying Shumpert is nothing and his stats are garbage. So what? Shumpert is not a good NBA player by any stretch of the imagination and hasn't been for years. Being on the Kings isn't some magic spell to make him something he's not, though I suppose people will want to rationalize the FO's decision to acquire and/or play him.
You equate my comments about Ben’s return with calling someone “garbage”? That’s a stretch. Yeah, I’m confused to see Ben back on the Kings roster. And if he’s getting playing time this year, I’ll be disappointed as well as confused. But I don’t call him “garbage.” He’s a good kid, works hard, and is a terrific athlete. I just don’t see him as a contributor for us. But if he’s really going to be in our roster, I hope I’m wrong about him. So where in there do you equate my sentiments about Ben as no different than calling him garbage?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Unlike Shumpert who only played in 1 summer league game with the incredible stat line of 2 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists. I'm not saying JJ is a world beater or will ever be one. We don't know yet, but we DO know who and what Shumpert is. I'll take my chances developing JJ.
Lol.....If you read my first post you quoted, I said that the Kings will play whomever they need to play in order to win. If Shumpert is better than JJ then he plays......not even sure he’s going to be on the team when the season starts. JJ is far from a sure thing here. Real world stuff and all, right?

Lol.....If you read my first post you quoted, I said that the Kings will play whomever they need to play in order to win. If Shumpert is better than JJ then he plays......not even sure he’s going to be on the team when the season starts. JJ is far from a sure thing here. Real world stuff and all, right?
You're right they will and should play who they think gives them the best chance to win. I just doubt they will come to choose Shumpert to be that guy but that is just my opinion. It might not be JJ either. I even said that he isn't a world beater and might never be one. I just think trying to find out what he can be is more beneficial to the Kings than slogging Shumpert out there to give you what you already know he can't.

The worst guy in the NBA is still better than 99.99% of all the guys who have played basketball at any point in their lives. The mere fact they're part of the 450 young men who get to live the dream puts them far above the pale.
I agree, it certainly does, but I am comparing him to the other professionals in the NBA.

VF,
I’m not taking back what I said about message boards bringing out the worst in some people. But you’re right; that goes without saying. So feel free to pull my post. I won’t complain. Just needed to get it off my chest and did.

You equate my comments about Ben’s return with calling someone “garbage”? That’s a stretch. Yeah, I’m confused to see Ben back on the Kings roster. And if he’s getting playing time this year, I’ll be disappointed as well as confused. But I don’t call him “garbage.” He’s a good kid, works hard, and is a terrific athlete. I just don’t see him as a contributor for us. But if he’s really going to be in our roster, I hope I’m wrong about him. So where in there do you equate my sentiments about Ben as no different than calling him garbage?
I called him nothing and what I meant was that I view him as worth nothing to this team in terms of contributions. I view his championship ring bringing nothing to the Kings. I don't believe anyone in he locker room is going to look at Shumpert and think "wow he has a ring." I said his stats in the post season where the Cavs won the championship were garbage. I never said anything about Iman Shumpert's character. He might be a nice guy, I don't know. I'm talking about him purely on what I feel he brings to the Kings and I feel like it's literally nothing. /shrug

As for Ben, I have made my feelings felt about him as well. I watched every single game of his as a King and every single game I wished he would come through and finally turn that corner. As we all know he never did. We all saw his athleticism, his hard work and loved by his teammates so you knew he was a great kid. Unfortunately those don't translate into warranting a bench spot on this team a second time around.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I remember a few years ago when Shump was a Knick, Melo dropped something like 60 points. Post game Shump said something along the lines of "Melo and I had 66 points between us". Thought that was a pretty funny quote.

He probably won't average more than 6 points per game for us, but if he defends at a plus level, he'll probably be a fan favorite.

And weighing in on the current debate....

We've all talked **** on various players. It sucks that there's so much negativity on the Internet, but I don't think Shump is gonna cry himself to sleep over the opinions of faceless fans online...

.... that's KD's job!

*rimshot*

If Shumpert is playing a lot of minutes then a key cog somewhere within the organization has failed whether it be the coach or the players.