If Cousins is a Top 3 Center in the League This Year, What Will the Kings Record Be?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Hypothetically, if Cousins turns out to be a legit top 3 center in the league this year, not a "potential future star," but a guy everybody in the media is talking about as an All-Star this year, what do you think the Kings record will be this year? To me, if he's a top 3 center he's demanding double teams, opening up a lot of open shots for his teamates, making others better on the floor, reducing his TOs tremendously from last year, dramatically increasing his assists, and is at least in the third of centers in the NBA on defense. I would imagine the Kings would be very close to .500 ball with that kind of performance from Cousins. Right? Wrong?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So many variables its impossible to know. Consider:

Scenario 1
Grevis is healthy and floor generals
Mbah a Moute is healthy and stoppers
Malone turns out to be the real deal and people listen
Thornton thrives as a starter and scores 20ppg as a 2nd weapon

vs.

Scenario 2
Grevis's ankles are not quite back, he struggles with efficiency early, even platoons with IT, leaving us with last year's lineup sans Reke
Mbah a Moute's lingering knee issues make him ordinary, which was kind of what happened last year after he came back
Malone makes rookie coach errors, tinkers with lineups and systems for half a year
a decision is made up high to start and play McLemore even if he is not ready, and he averages 12ppg on 39% shooting or some such

Have Cousins blowing up under scenario 1 and might get into the mid to upper 30s, have Cousins blow up under scenario 2 and he just doesn't have the help to get much over 30. Just far too many variables right now.

Gary

All-Star
At least .500.. There are teams that get a top center that go from lottery to playoffs. If we have the right formula I believe we could be a .500 team this year. If not we will be a 30 win team.

If I had to bet though? I would put money on us being a 30 win team.

If hwe fulfills his potetntial tyhis season, and he comes bursting right out of the gates, and is a good leader, we should have at least 41 wins this years (or something around that range). But my realistic projection is that he will start becoming a top 3 center after All-Star break (or at latest, next year), when the team will start meshing, etc. And overall, i think our realistic capacity for victories this years is 35 wins.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
45 wins if he plays as a top 3 center, 31ish if he doesn't.
45 wins is more than Cousins as a Top 3 center. 45 wins with this roster means just about everything goes right with every player and coach, and Cousins is THE top center in the NBA putting up a true HOF statline, maybe 22-12-3 on 48-50% shooting, at least. Maybe 25-12. We don't hit 45 without a dominant superstar.

45 wins is more than Cousins as a Top 3 center. 45 wins with this roster means just about everything goes right with every player and coach, and Cousins is THE top center in the NBA putting up a true HOF statline, maybe 22-12-3 on 48-50% shooting, at least. Maybe 25-12. We don't hit 45 without a dominant superstar.
What makes Cousins scary is that he is more than capable of being a 20-10-3-50% player and much more. At UK, he showed his ability to pass out of double-teams. If he can trust his teammates to actually score when he gets them the ball, it adds that great aspect of his game. I believe that is a HUGE reason the Kings really coveted BenMac to space the floor.

Jimmer, Thornton, and McLemore have the capacity to be long-range threats (IT and Thornton ONLY when they are hot)

I would agree that 45 wins is a stretch for this season but 40 can be a goal.