i knows it's early...

and we may end up in the playoffs.

however, i've been playing around with the mock lottery draft on espn.

up until recently it's been the kings at pick 13 with al halford from florida, randy foye from unconn and someother i can't remember.

today, josh mcroberst out of duke has been our pick. sheldon williams is obviously 3 years ahead of him developing but this guy could be amazing for us. he's a true 5 though he's played the 4 all year and learned it faster than i expected. he's good inside and out. he's got handle and can shoot the three. he's agressive on d and could develope into a steady shot blocker.

i didn't realize he was considering coming out and it frustrates me cuz i love duke, but he could really help us. any thoughts?

Way toooooo early for me .... it's only 8:09am ... still on my first cup of coffee .....

.... back in a few :confused:

... see, I had to come back and fix a typo

Last edited:
Don't know much about him

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/joshmcroberts.asp

NBA Comparison: Chris Webber (less athletic)

Strengths: As versatile as they come … A true inside outside threat ... Is equally adequate with his back to the basket or when facing up to the hoop ... Lefty has a solid mid range game with a reliable jumper that extends as far out as the three point line … A dunking machine. Will throw down any and every chance he has … Unlike most players Josh’s size, he can put the ball on the floor and shows tremendous court vision and a nice passing touch … Runs the floor well for a big man and always seems to be in the right place at the right time for monstrous putbacks … Always gives full effort and never takes plays off… Excellent rebounder due in large part to his aggressiveness … Very tough, a warriors mentality on the court … High basketball IQ guy who will make an immediate impact in Durham …

Weaknesses: Has good footwork but isn’t quick enough to play anywhere but the post at the next level … His foot speed and athleticism wont stand out on the next level ... Though he has incredible instincts and feel for the game having played as a guard early in his high school career, some of those attributes are lost because he lacks the quickness and foot speed to take the ball off the dribble on the next level ... Though he does have his moments blocking shots and making stops, he isn’t known as a defensive presence … Must become more disciplined defensively as he can be foul prone ...

-Mike Apodaca 11/8/05

McRoberts I doubt is coming out after his freshman year. I like what I've seen from McRoberts though.

I like Al Horford and Foye a whole lot.

Last edited:
Was McRoberts in the Slam Dunk Contest of last year's McDonald's All-America? If it was the same guy, he has pretty good athleticism. I like the write up on him, sounds very aggressive.

Josh Boone

Is a junior and has not indicated is is leaving early. Hilton Armstrong, while playing well this season is a tweener and before his senior season was not even thought of as NBA material. Assuming the Huskies win another title, Rudy Gay is by far the most talented player they have(sophomore), Marcus Williams(Junior) is probably most nba ready, and lastly Boone...........Yes you can be a Uconn fan and a KINGs fan if you are over forty and remember the Cincinati Royals. I still hate Bob Cousy for trading the big O.

Hilton just needs to put on some weight, which isn't gonna be a problem. Boone is still all over the mocks and draft articles on a few sites.

It would be ill-advised for Boone to return for his senior season. Next year's draft class is going to be much stronger, and he is considered a lottery lock right now. There's the possibility he develops a phenomenal offensive game this summer and becomes a Top 3 pick next year, but that is not likely. His offense has improved each year, but still is not that impressive overall. That coupled with what should be a deep run by UConn, and Boone should make the jump.

McRoberts, on the other hand, has an interesting decision to make. He could probably be a lottery pick this year if he left. However, he will be the featured big man at Duke next year with the departure of Williams. Of course, he will be playing for the #2 pick at best w/ Greg Oden as the consensus #1. Duke rarely loses freshmen though (Avery, Maggette), so I think he stays. In fact, he should probably stay until his junior year, although OJ Mayo would be the odds-on top pick that year. It's possible that Mayo's stock gets hurt by a year in school though. It has happened to some guards before, particularly Dajuan Wagner, whose hype fell off during his year at Memphis. It is a large belief that that influenced Telfair to declare, rather than spend at least a year with Pitino.

M

MrBiggs

One name: JJ Redick

There aren't going to be any superstars out of this draft. Gay is going to be a bust, bookmark that. If he's available, go with the best role player in the draft.

MrBiggs said:
One name: JJ Redick

There aren't going to be any superstars out of this draft. Gay is going to be a bust, bookmark that. If he's available, go with the best role player in the draft.
Are you talking about for us?

Cause we really don't need another swing player. JJ isn't bad, he's struggled lately, but we already have Martin and Garcia who I like better than JJ skillwise and sizewise.

Aldridge is going to be solid, probally a star.

Morrison I think will be a star or above average player.

Carney needs to work but he's a superstar wing type athlete.

Thomas is a defensive monster.

Sheldon is also solid defensively, but needs to work.

I don't think Gay is a bust, I just don't see superstar. Maybe I'm blind though.

McRoberts, I haven't seen anything that brilliant yet (UNC FAN) but he might be good, will have to see. He's not even close to being their best player yet and hasn't really shown the brilliance of a freshman like Marvin did last year. Will get a chance to prove himself if he decides to stay. Maybe he'll wake up for tourney time. He needs to assert himself more (60% fg shooter). But I think he'll stay atleast 1 more year.

I think there are going to be a couple of lag years due to the high schoolers going to College before you get a really strong draft class ala 3 years ago where there were stars in both HS and college.

When Oden, Wright, Durant all come out and then Mayo the next year. Watch out.

M

MrBiggs

bigbadred00 said:
Are you talking about for us?

Cause we really don't need another swing player. JJ isn't bad, he's struggled lately, but we already have Martin and Garcia who I like better than JJ skillwise and sizewise.
Here's how I view our future: Martin will eventually be our starting shooting guard. Garcia will be our main ball handler and defender off the bench. If JJ slips that far in the draft, He's that spot up shooter that EVERY team needs.

No matter what your team's needs are, no matter how deep you are in a particular position, you take a pure shooter of his calibur if he's staring you right in the face on draft night.

MrBiggs said:
Here's how I view our future: Martin will eventually be our starting shooting guard. Garcia will be our main ball handler and defender off the bench. If JJ slips that far in the draft, He's that spot up shooter that EVERY team needs.

No matter what your team's needs are, no matter how deep you are in a particular position, you take a pure shooter of his calibur if he's staring you right in the face on draft night.
We do need a shooter, I doubt he will fall that far (hope will be in the playoffs soon), with the loss of Peja.

More pressing needs though is a post defender and backup PG. Martin is a pretty solid shooter (best FG% effective in the league or something).

If you've watched JJ lately, teams have figured out how to stop him. Don't double team him and just keep a guy in his face the whole game who won't ever come off. He's showing signs of not being that great. Do you remember the last great shooter from Duke, Langdon, what a bust that guy was.

Kerr or something is the ideal shooter we need. We don't need a top 13 overall pick, shooter.

If we're sitting at 13, 14, or 15, and Redick is available, it wouldn't be a bad pick. But only if all the post bangers like Boone, Williams and Thomas are already gone. I don't think Redick will ever start for a title contender, but he will be a very good 6th or 7th man for about a decade. The NBA draft is funny in that we slobber over players who are pretty good at a lot of things, and get tagged with the "potential" moniker. Gay comes to mind. But dudes who last a long time in this league are the true stars, or the guys who can do one thing exceptionally well. JJ will be the best shooter in the league for as long as he plays.

Gay may not be a total bust, but he will never live up to being a Top 3 pick. I think he'll be one of those guys who ends up a solid starter on his 2nd or even 3rd team, but will never really produce for the team that drafts him.

Venom said:
If we're sitting at 13, 14, or 15, and Redick is available, it wouldn't be a bad pick. But only if all the post bangers like Boone, Williams and Thomas are already gone. I don't think Redick will ever start for a title contender, but he will be a very good 6th or 7th man for about a decade. The NBA draft is funny in that we slobber over players who are pretty good at a lot of things, and get tagged with the "potential" moniker. Gay comes to mind. But dudes who last a long time in this league are the true stars, or the guys who can do one thing exceptionally well. JJ will be the best shooter in the league for as long as he plays.

Gay may not be a total bust, but he will never live up to being a Top 3 pick. I think he'll be one of those guys who ends up a solid starter on his 2nd or even 3rd team, but will never really produce for the team that drafts him.

Best shooter in the league? How do you figure? I doubt he'll be better than Ray or even Peja. The guy is short, doesn't have great quickness and his shot isn't that fast. Decent teams in college, lately, have already found ways to stop him.

JJ is a great shooter, but I doubt he'll ever be the best in the league. Your right though, he'll be a good bench player. Maybe not even Kerr good but everyone needs a guy like him although some teams already have guys like him.

kings chat

I wanna talk to peeps about the kings! I need kings banter!!!! IM me on aim at RonArtestLove93!!!!! I welcome everyone who can carry on a deep kings talk! woot!

If we somehow had the opportunity to draft Redick, where would we put him? I guess it depends on what goes down with Bonzi, but we are loaded with bodies everywhere outside C and PG. Reddic is a pure SG, and Kevin already fills that role admirably, and Bonzi gives us everything else we could want out of a SG. Cisco backs up Mike, and I don't think JJ could survive at SF in the NBA. Maybe if he falls we could draft and trade him immediately. Even if Bonzi leaves, having Redick/Martin at SG just seems redundant. And, unless we get real lucky in the lottery, we're not gonna have a shot at him anyways.

captain bill said:
If we somehow had the opportunity to draft Redick, where would we put him? I guess it depends on what goes down with Bonzi, but we are loaded with bodies everywhere outside C and PG. Reddic is a pure SG, and Kevin already fills that role admirably, and Bonzi gives us everything else we could want out of a SG. Cisco backs up Mike, and I don't think JJ could survive at SF in the NBA. Maybe if he falls we could draft and trade him immediately. Even if Bonzi leaves, having Redick/Martin at SG just seems redundant. And, unless we get real lucky in the lottery, we're not gonna have a shot at him anyways.
make up your mind about how to spell his name! its reddick! :p;)

eh...i'll pass on JJ. we've got martin, whose athleticism i like more than reddick's shooting. we've got cisco, whose pesky defense and propensity for hustle plays i like better than reddick's shooting. and if bonzi sticks around, well i like his all-around game better than reddick's shooting. we don't need a pure shooter. we've got scoring. we need guys to defend the interior and rebound the ball.

I have stated in other threads that I don't think Bonzi will be back. I think we move Bonzi for an active big, like Nene. Martin starting and Reddick off the bench is a great one-two punch. And we don't need to get lucky in the lottery for a shot at Reddick. He'll go #12 at the highest, unless some GM gets real enamored with him. And yes, for as long as he is in the league he will have the best 3-point %. Book it. I stated earlier that he will not start for a title contender, but he will definitely finish games for one. Ultimately, Reddick has good value for where he should be picked (12-16), and is certainly worth it for the Kings if there are no front-court bangers left.

Venom said:
I have stated in other threads that I don't think Bonzi will be back. I think we move Bonzi for an active big, like Nene. Martin starting and Reddick off the bench is a great one-two punch. And we don't need to get lucky in the lottery for a shot at Reddick. He'll go #12 at the highest, unless some GM gets real enamored with him. And yes, for as long as he is in the league he will have the best 3-point %. Book it. I stated earlier that he will not start for a title contender, but he will definitely finish games for one. Ultimately, Reddick has good value for where he should be picked (12-16), and is certainly worth it for the Kings if there are no front-court bangers left.
i believe this is the area where the draft has the potential to be strongest. so, hopefully management will hold out for a big with potential.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Redick scares me as a draftee in the way that all 6'4" not especially athletic OGs scare me. Call it the Steve Alford effect. You better hope the offense translates, because they'll get beaten like a drum on defense.

Bricklayer said:
Redick scares me as a draftee in the way that all 6'4" not especially athletic OGs scare me. Call it the Steve Alford effect. You better hope the offense translates, because they'll get beaten like a drum on defense.
and that is, of course, not something the kings need right now.

The whole league is looking for an athletic big man...none available. They only exist in the draft and with the exception of Aldridge (labeled a "can't miss) fall into two catagories; slow afoot, unathletic but with good face up games out to 3 pt line or athletic, quick and long defenders/rebounder/shotblockers that need more offensive game. So what have we all been saying? We want someone who doesn't need the ball, can play D, block shots and rebound. From what I see on the draft boards there's 3 or four who fit the bill and are rated rather low because of their inablility to score. Seems to me the easiest and cheapest way to fill our need at PF is to draft one. Aldridge will be gone but guys like Boone and Armstrong will still be there.

Boy, McRoberts is nice! He dunks everything once he gets near the cup. I love seeing that in a big man, or anybody really. He needs to stay another year though.

I would still give Reddick a serious look at #15 or #16. I like the direction Petrie has gone with his last couple of picks, selecting college guys with more experience. I think that's really the way to go in the middle of the draft, and Reddick fits the bill. He will be a solid contributor for a long time. I don't think you can underrate his commitment to the game, and the improvement he has shown throughout his college career.