I have no idea how to improve this team...

I really have very little ideas for feasible trades, etc., that we could do to improve this team. Aside from the obvious (re-signing Bonzi), there is no free agent that I feel is worth pursuing, and no superstar player that I'd be willing to break up the team for (aside from KG, who will NOT be traded).

Maybe our pick+Garcia for Leandro Barbosa? Sign Tim Thomas for offense off the bench? Barbosa/Martin/TT off the bench looks pretty good to me. If you want to get better defensively you've gotta go after the guys who can do that for you. IMO the core is Martin/Bibby/Artest/Wells. The kings have a couple expiring contracts so if a team wants to make a salary dump we can take advantage of them. Gotta find a post defender and you gotta find a shot blocker.

BMiller52 said:
Maybe our pick+Garcia for Leandro Barbosa? Sign Tim Thomas for offense off the bench? Barbosa/Martin/TT off the bench looks pretty good to me. If you want to get better defensively you've gotta go after the guys who can do that for you. IMO the core is Martin/Bibby/Artest/Wells. The kings have a couple expiring contracts so if a team wants to make a salary dump we can take advantage of them. Gotta find a post defender and you gotta find a shot blocker.
Yeah, we LB & TT would be awesome, but they are really going to be hard to get and expensive seeing how clutch they were in the Suns winning the series after being down 3-1 to the LA Kobies. Why didn't we pursue TT when he was sitting at home in Philly getting paid by the Bulls? We desperatly need big men. I'm reluctant to go with a college player over an experienced NBA player, but you need to at some point....but there are a # of guys that could help us like Prizbilla, Nene, Elson etc. We definately need to start SAR if we don't get a good athletic PF, and having a big C to back up SAR would do him a world of good. He did great in the series when he got some playing time due to Miller chocking to bad. He has a nice post game, hook shoot etc but doesn't have the rebounding and shoot blocking we need so bring in a big C that does that. SAR also lost a lot of weight and I expect him to be ready to go next year and have the starting PF slot. He is good, the broken jaw really set him back this year. SAR was almost a 20-10 guy in Vancouver, he still has a lot to offer if given the starting PF spot.

Having K9 & Miller as our 4 & 5 is like rolling out the red carpet to out opponent....."Come right in" :-(

Last edited:
Having K9 & Miller as our 4 & 5 is like rolling out the red carpet to out opponent....."Come right in" :-([/quote]

For sure... Miller needs to get shipped

SacKings4Life21 said:
Having K9 & Miller as our 4 & 5 is like rolling out the red carpet to out opponent....."Come right in" :-(
For sure... Miller needs to get shipped[/quote]

I'd be all for breaking up Miller's contract into 2-3 guys if needed like a backup PG, backup PF/C behind SAR etc. He is way to 1 dimensional and if his shot is falling, doesn't help us in other ways.....besides this is comes down to his attitude...he doesn't give a crap...that more than anything is the reason he should be dealt especially with Ron & Bonzi giving 200%, we don't need Miller giving us 50% and that is being generous. :rolleyes: I really thought Artest would light a fire under Miller, but it seems that he cannot take the heat and is instead regressing and big time in the playoffs with the chance at being on the US National team, etc. How does he thinks this helps his career?????!!! :mad:

kingkung said:
I really have very little ideas for feasible trades, etc., that we could do to improve this team. Aside from the obvious (re-signing Bonzi), there is no free agent that I feel is worth pursuing, and no superstar player that I'd be willing to break up the team for (aside from KG, who will NOT be traded).
For bigs, go after Mohammed/Pryzbilla/Griffin/Elson/Magloire. For a back-up PG go after Bell/Duhon/Lue/maybe Mike James. Trade one of KT or Brad at least. Possibly get a shooter.

You don't feel anyone realistically attainable (just about everyone above, except for 1 or 2 guys) is worthy of going after, well that's why you're not in charge ;). Also can't just sit back and have no changes at all or just re-sign Bonzi and draft a player. That isn't the direction the Kings are going in, as the Maloofs have said they're going to make the moves (especially with Artest coming in) to make the team a contender again.

Last edited:
Kings113 said:
For bigs, go after Mohammed/Pryzbilla/Griffin/Elson/Magloire. For a back-up PG go after Bell/Duhon/Lue/maybe Mike James. Trade one of KT or Brad at least. Possibly get a shooter.

You don't feel anyone realistically attainable (just about everyone above, except for 1 or 2 guys) is worthy of going after, well that's why you're not in charge ;). Also can't just sit back and have no changes at all or just re-sign Bonzi and draft a player. That isn't the direction the Kings are going in, as the Maloofs have said they're going to make the moves (especially with Artest coming in) to make the team a contender again.
I see us making some big moves and it's encouraging that we haven't been afraid to pull the trigger dealing away Christie, Webber, Peja. I just hope the "tradeable/workable pieces" in the Webber trade are fully utilized. It hasn't been utlilized that much with only K9 getting playing time and Skinner and Corliss rotting on the bench and not Vitaly and Sergei doing the same as Skinner was. I really hope to be pleasantly surprised by Sergei next year because I think this is what the Skinner trade was about. Also I'd like to think we got more than K9 for C-Webb, that would really suck if that's all we utilize from the trade and sit the other guys. Corliss's expiring contract is attractive to people and could releave a bit of the sting of K9's big contract. Let's see what deals we can work out. We all know we need size and a backup PG, that's a given, also a packup PF/C would be nice as well.

kingkung said:
that's why people put such great stock into a guy like geoff petrie. while some of his moves over the last few years have been oft-debated, he does know what to do, and thats comforting as a kings fan. we can talk trade possibilities all day long, and geoff may just be able to pull off something that is so strikingly obvious that kings fans are left scratching their heads, saying to themselves, "wow...why didn't i think of that?"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingkung said:
So basically you've started a thread to discuss the fact that you have nothing to discuss?

;)

VF21 said:
So basically you've started a thread to discuss the fact that you have nothing to discuss?

;)
Yup. Just call me Gloria Allred.

But seriously, given our great run over the second half of the season, I wouldn't be the least surprised if Geoff Petrie did little to nothing over the offseason (except for re-signing Bonzi). I'm not saying it's right, but Petrie is, for all intents and purposes, a fairly conservative GM... he doesn't rock the boat when he feels he has a contending team. And no one can deny that we are contenders (not favorites, but contenders). So don't be too disappointed if none of these trade ideas come into fruition. If anything, he'll make a small deal, maybe sign a PG and C w/ the MLE, but that's probably all the action you're gonna see in TDOS.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not saying he'll be successful, but I strongly suspect Petrie will try pretty much everything he can to get rid of Kenny Thomas.

kingkung said:

But seriously, given our great run over the second half of the season, I wouldn't be the least surprised if Geoff Petrie did little to nothing over the offseason (except for re-signing Bonzi). I'm not saying it's right, but Petrie is, for all intents and purposes, a fairly conservative GM... he doesn't rock the boat when he feels he has a contending team. And no one can deny that we are contenders (not favorites, but contenders). So don't be too disappointed if none of these trade ideas come into fruition. If anything, he'll make a small deal, maybe sign a PG and C w/ the MLE, but that's probably all the action you're gonna see in TDOS.
What trade ideas?

(bold) I'd be fine with that, assuming it's guys at least pretty good. That's where our two main needs are. There doesn't need to be much action other than 2-3 moves anyways.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
kingkung said:

But who says he does? The holes we have are pretty clear and fixable. We need size in the frontcourt, and a backup PG. Those have been discussed at length the paper as well. Petrie, the Maloofs, the fans, the media, other teams!, everyone knows this. Its a problem when you hear the opposing team say, "we are going to attack the rim because they don't have any shotblockers" and then repeatedly succeed in doing so. That is a problem, a large enough one to keep this team from being a true contender.

Kings113 had a pretty decent list above. Anyone of those guys could boost this team up dramitically.

And technically, yes that could be considered small, but in reality it would be huge for this team by filling up the few holes in it.

kingkung said:

we are not contenders... id say only 4-5 teams can considered contenders each year... and we are not one of them. We are on the outside of the contention window again... id say we are going in top 8 in the league... and should finish top 4 in the west... with upgrades where we need them... could win the pacific... though i think PHX will come out hard next yr... lead the league in wins

Amare is young but Nash isnt going to get younger. You've got to think that something is bound to give with Nash. His minutes could decrease also. What we need to do is get rid of KT ASAP (ruins team chemistry and his outside shot makes me want to puke), NOT get rid of Miller because he is our "secret" weapon. We have post players that also happen to be our guards and most teams will collapse inside on Bonzi(if resigned) and Artest, leaving Miller and Bibby open. Miller is also one of the best passing big men in the league and his outside shot is only surpassed by Dirk and KG(maybe). We should draft a defensive BIG that can BLOCK shots and try to get a backup PG in a trade or free agency.

Sac.Kings said:
Amare is young but Nash isnt going to get younger. You've got to think that something is bound to give with Nash. His minutes could decrease also. What we need to do is get rid of KT ASAP (ruins team chemistry and his outside shot makes me want to puke), NOT get rid of Miller because he is our "secret" weapon. We have post players that also happen to be our guards and most teams will collapse inside on Bonzi(if resigned) and Artest, leaving Miller and Bibby open. Miller is also one of the best passing big men in the league and his outside shot is only surpassed by Dirk and KG(maybe). We should draft a defensive BIG that can BLOCK shots and try to get a backup PG in a trade or free agency.
with bonzi and ron dominating the ball with post play, brad's passing has been rendered nearly useless. we don't really run the offense through him anymore.

I see KT fitting in with the Nets for some reason. Around this time last year I advocated a KT and our pick for Cliff's expiring deal and the Nets pick. Ironically, the Nets ended up going after SAR later that summer. Odd.

W

West_Gunslinger16

I always expect the worse......... Petrie will pick a guard that we will not use and we don't even need.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
West_Gunslinger16 said:
I always expect the worse......... Petrie will pick a guard that we will not use and we don't even need.
People questioned his drafting of Kevin Martin and all of a sudden they're changing their tune.

When you draft as low as the Kings do, it isn't very likely you're going to get a team-changing player. That will come through trades.

We simply don't have the room for another guard/swingman, unless we plan to move two of Garcia/Monia/Price. Moving one would only work in the case of Price, to have room. With Price, Petrie's spoken highly of him.

Until then, I expect us to draft a big.

Kings113 said:
Until then, I expect us to draft a big.
The thing is, I've expected us to draft a big for years. But then we drafted Hedo, then Wallace, then Martin... Garcia... you get the picture. I cannot pretend to predict who Geoff picks up. It's always interesting, and I half expect him to pick up another SG just to spite us all (or becacuse it's the best player available ;) ).

Gary said:
The guys we should keep are SAR, Artest, Martin, Garcia, Bibby. The rest are expendable.
Correction.....you forgot Bonzi in the list. :D

LPKingsFan said:
The thing is, I've expected us to draft a big for years. But then we drafted Hedo, then Wallace, then Martin... Garcia... you get the picture. I cannot pretend to predict who Geoff picks up. It's always interesting, and I half expect him to pick up another SG just to spite us all (or becacuse it's the best player available ).
Those draft pics had lots of potential (Hedo can shoot and play a few positions, Wallace was extremely athletic and is doing good with his new team, KMart & Cisco seem to have great promise)...we have done good with our late pics. It's near impossible to find an immediate impact player when you pick late in the round. Hopefully we can work out some trades and use our MLE effectively for size. I'm really hoping we get a Brazillian. I like Anderson Vajeo from the Cavs alot, and alot of people talk about Nene from the Nuggets. Brazillians in general are just great constantly working athlets, many of the best Soccer players in the world are Brazillian, it's in their genes :)

Last edited:
LPKingsFan said:
The thing is, I've expected us to draft a big for years. But then we drafted Hedo, then Wallace, then Martin... Garcia... you get the picture. I cannot pretend to predict who Geoff picks up. It's always interesting, and I half expect him to pick up another SG just to spite us all (or becacuse it's the best player available ;) ).
With our situation now, it's the best chance. Also have to keep in mind we had Clark/Pollard/Webber/Vlade/Ostertag (before what happened with him)/Brad (still have for Brad) through those drafts. As this is the first time since no big in our FC other than probably SAR has clarity.

Maybe Sampson's our young big. :)

LPKingsFan said:
For a long time we had Webber and guys like Pollard or Clark at least doing ok at PF/C. Another problem is that almost always, the talented big men get taken at the top of the draft. We have been good for so long that we haven't been picking in the top half of the draft in a long time.

In the mid-later part of the draft Petrie was faced with the choice between picking a bigtime project C/PF or going with a more sure pick of a guard. I can't blame him for making that choice really, especially when we were closer to a title. I wasn't really happy with the Garcia pick last year though when our biggest need was clearly at PF/C, even if we would have had to go with a project.

Last edited:
W

West_Gunslinger16

Yeah, yeah I get the point. The SGs that we picked up were good, great and whatever you want to rate 'em but do we really need them right now? I mean there was this guy who was told to be as good as Gilbert Arenas but do we really need lots of guard? I understand if the guys at Sacramento wanted just to go though only First-Round of the Playoffs and not for the Finals.

P.S. Especially right now, there's really no good big man in FA market to suit our needs. Only in the draft has the longest wingspans we need.

Actually, there are guys in FA to suit our needs (Mohammed/Pryzbilla/Elson (cheaper) ). But, what we do with Bonzi will determine what we can spend on players. The first two may well be too valuable anyways. Also, any likely FC change I think comes through trade, while signing a serviceable big like Elson or Ely possibly for cheaper.

VF21 said:
I'm not saying he'll be successful, but I strongly suspect Petrie will try pretty much everything he can to get rid of Kenny Thomas.
he seriosly needs to do that i would be pissed off if kEnny shows up next year:mad:

Adelman brought up a great point today on the radio...

so say we do trade brad to get a big "shot blocker", and the guy we get clogs the lane so Ron and Bonzi cant post up anymore... With Brad's shot he draws the defense out and opens up the key...

Brad needs to hit the god damn weights and we need to draft decent low post defending big man, thats comming off the bench IMO.