Step 2: Either trade Bibby and #7 or #10 and #7 to Atlanta for number #3
Step 3: Draft Horford :)

Haha...Stranger things have happened :p

Ok...Its a simple 3 step process:

Step 1: Trade Artest to the T-Wolves for their #7

I don't think Horford, or anyone else after the top 2, are worth two Top 10 picks. No way. We are not a solid but unspectacular power forward like Horford away from contending. We need a young nucleus to go along with Kevin Martin, and two top 10 picks in a loaded draft is much more valuable than Horford.

Well, step 1, followed by "pick at #7 and #10" wouldn't be the end of the world. Of course we'd have to take out Minny's garbage to make the salary part of the trade legal...

Well, step 1, followed by "pick at #7 and #10" wouldn't be the end of the world. Of course we'd have to take out Minny's garbage to make the salary part of the trade legal...
Agreed. I'd much rather have 7 and 10 than just 3. If we were able to add a young starter at PF and the next in line at either C or SF, we'd have a great start to our rebuild. We'd probably still struggle this year, but next year should be a deep PG draft, so that could complete the young nucleus. 3 seasons from now we're likely an up-and-coming team battling hard for the 8th spot.

Ok...Its a simple 3 step process:

Step 1: Trade Artest to the T-Wolves for their #7

Yikes.. That's too much.. We give up Artest, Bibby, and the #10/#7 picks to get Horford? WAYYYY to much.

What I would do is give up #10 to get Detroits 2 picks, and draft Jaon Smith, and Shawn Williams...

Than I would trade Bibby to the heat for Justin Williams and the #20 and draft Jarvis Crittenton, or Acie Law.

Than I would trade Artest to Houston for Shane Battier, and #26 and draft Marco Belinelli..

gunks

Hall of Famer
FINE.....Gah. :p

Just some wishful thinking on my part. I'd rather have a guy who can step up and give around 16/8 in his rookie season then two guys who can MAYBE give you 10/5...But thats just me haha.

Either way I think we can all agree that if Petrie doesnt do some draft day wheeling and dealing there's gonna be a lot of disappointed Kings fans.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Either way I think we can all agree that if Petrie doesnt do some draft day wheeling and dealing there's gonna be a lot of disappointed Kings fans.
I don't agree.

I don't expect Petrie to do a lot of wheeling/dealing on draft day. I expect him to use the #10 pick, see what else happens and go from there. I do expect, however, to see some moves after the July moratorium is lifted.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I don't agree.

I don't expect Petrie to do a lot of wheeling/dealing on draft day. I expect him to use the #10 pick, see what else happens and go from there. I do expect, however, to see some moves after the July moratorium is lifted.
Meh...To be honest thats what I expect too.

But that doesnt mean I wont be dissapointed that he didnt do more haha. And with all the predraft babbling going on here at Kingsfans about trading for picks, moving up, etc. etc. I think other people have hope that we'll get more then just a #10 pick as well.

Just because there's a very low chance of anything happening doesnt mean you cant still cross your fingers.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm trying to contain any expectations/wishful thinking that I might have about draft day, as I don't want to have to take drugs for depression afterwards.:p Based on everything I've seen of Petrie, unless someone calls him and proposes a great deal, he's going to "wait and see" - i.e. do nothing except take the pick at #10.

Meh...To be honest thats what I expect too.

But that doesnt mean I wont be dissapointed that he didnt do more haha. And with all the predraft babbling going on here at Kingsfans about trading for picks, moving up, etc. etc. I think other people have hope that we'll get more then just a #10 pick as well.

Just because there's a very low chance of anything happening doesnt mean you cant still cross your fingers.

I expect SOMETHING... See, Petrie likes Yi, and Jason Smith from what I have been reading.

Yi might not be available at #10. If that is he case than we might have to trade up.

If we can't get a deal worked out than I think Petrie's second choice is Jason Smith. Petrie strikes me as a kind of guy that will draft whoever he wants at whichever pick he has. Whether or not WE think the player could have been had at pick #15 when we are drafting at 10. Guys like Hedo come to mind, and Douby.

I have a feeling though that Petrie MIGHT do a trade though to Detroit if Conley is available at #10 since they just lost Billups, IF we can't get Yi.

This would come at the point where Detroit uses their #15 to draft Jason Smith... We would than use the #27 to draft Sean Williams. That would solidify our buig man rotations right there.

FINE.....Gah. :p

Just some wishful thinking on my part. I'd rather have a guy who can step up and give around 16/8 in his rookie season then two guys who can MAYBE give you 10/5...But thats just me haha.

I will be truly dissopointed if all we do on draft day is use our 10th pick and thats it. I want to see some trades, some new blood.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Petrie has all summer to construct and enact trades. If he doesn't do anything on Draft Day, that certainly doesn't mean our opportunities are gone.

I think people are just so anxious for something/anything to happen that they're expecting everything to happen at once. It just doesn't work that way - unfortunately.

;)

Entity

Hall of Famer
I don't know I think if Artest is traded this season it may well be draft night. Now Bibby I don't think is going anywhere unless a good deal for us comes along. But draft night is a perfect time to do the Artest deal.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
It doesn't have to be that difficult. Atlanta seems to be in dire need of a PG and doesn't want to draft Conley at the #3:

"In a lot of ways, the NBA draft doesn't start until the Atlanta Hawks make their choice at No. 3. Whatever the public pressure to take a point guard, rest assured this: They won't be drafting Mike Conley Jr. that high.

After watching him toss brick after brick in Monday's workout with Al Horford and Noah, Atlanta officials had no reason to re-visit a decision they made weeks ago. It isn't that they're not intrigued with Conley, but forget making him the third overall selection. In fact, the Hawks are hoping that if Conley slips past Memphis at No. 4 and Minnesota at No. 7, he will drop down to them at No. 11.

If Conley doesn't make it that far, several league sources said Billy Knight's infatuation with Luke Ridnour will result with the 11th pick being traded to Seattle for the Sonics point guard."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...nYcB?slug=aw-pierce062507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Maybe ATL is tired of the youth movement. They have cash under the cap and some players in need of a vet.

Last edited:
I feel ya on this idea:

Artest to Minny for Hassell/Madsen/#7

then deal Bibby/#7 for #3/Speedy/Wright

Draft board looks like:
1) Oden/Durant
2) Durant/Oden
3) Horford
4) Noah
5) Yi Jianlian
6) B. Wright
7) Mike Conley Jr.
8) Corey Brewer
9) Spencer Hawes

Draft Horford at #3 and then the BPA at #10(Acie Law/Julian Wright/Jeff Green/Al Thornton).

I'd pick Law probably.

Parlay Hassell into Giricek

Kings new roster:

C: Brad Miller, J-Williams, L. Wright
PF: Al Horford, Reef, Kenny, Madsen
SF: Salmons, Garcia
SG: Martin, Douby, Giricek
PG: Law, Speedy, Price

I can handle that roster.

I feel ya on this idea:

Artest to Minny for Hassell/Madsen/#7

then deal Bibby/#7 for #3/Speedy/Wright

Draft board looks like:
1) Oden/Durant
2) Durant/Oden
3) Horford
4) Noah
5) Yi Jianlian
6) B. Wright
7) Mike Conley Jr.
8) Corey Brewer
9) Spencer Hawes

Draft Horford at #3 and then the BPA at #10(Acie Law/Julian Wright/Jeff Green/Al Thornton).

I'd pick Law probably.

Parlay Hassell into Giricek

Kings new roster:

C: Brad Miller, J-Williams, L. Wright
PF: Al Horford, Reef, Kenny, Madsen
SF: Salmons, Garcia
SG: Martin, Douby, Giricek
PG: Law, Speedy, Price

I can handle that roster.
I'd love it if we could do something like that, although I think I'd go with BPA out of the SF's instead of Law. I also doubt Minny gives up their pick without moving Hudson, but I'd do the deal even if Hudson was involved. Then next year go for a PG. Personally I think I'd be willing to trade any combination of players with the exception or Martin to get Horford.

Last edited:
I'd love it if we could do something like that, although I think I'd go with BPA out of the SF's instead of Law. I also doubt Minny gives up their pick without moving Hudson, but I'd do the deal even if Hudson was involved. Then next year go for a PG. Personally I think I'd be willing to trade any combination of players with the exception or Martin to get Horford.

True that...I'd even trade Martin if it meant getting Horford...but it'd be in a 1 for 1 deal.

Petrie has all summer to construct and enact trades. If he doesn't do anything on Draft Day, that certainly doesn't mean our opportunities are gone.

I think people are just so anxious for something/anything to happen that they're expecting everything to happen at once. It just doesn't work that way - unfortunately.

;)

I think that draft day is the biggest trade day (or week) in the NBA. I think if Petrie has a trade to do re: picks, or draft position it will come on draft day.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It doesn't have to be that difficult. Atlanta seems to be in dire need of a PG and doesn't want to draft Conley at the #3:

"In a lot of ways, the NBA draft doesn't start until the Atlanta Hawks make their choice at No. 3. Whatever the public pressure to take a point guard, rest assured this: They won't be drafting Mike Conley Jr. that high.

After watching him toss brick after brick in Monday's workout with Al Horford and Noah, Atlanta officials had no reason to re-visit a decision they made weeks ago. It isn't that they're not intrigued with Conley, but forget making him the third overall selection. In fact, the Hawks are hoping that if Conley slips past Memphis at No. 4 and Minnesota at No. 7, he will drop down to them at No. 11.

If Conley doesn't make it that far, several league sources said Billy Knight's infatuation with Luke Ridnour will result with the 11th pick being traded to Seattle for the Sonics point guard."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...nYcB?slug=aw-pierce062507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Maybe ATL is tired of the youth movement. They have cash under the cap and some players in need of a vet.
Why wouldn't Atlanta want Bibby instead of Ridnour? I'm not a huge Bibby fan, but I think he's definitely better than Ridnour. Is this a smoke screen?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think that draft day is the biggest trade day (or week) in the NBA. I think if Petrie has a trade to do re: picks, or draft position it will come on draft day.
According to the Sacramento Kings Media Guide for 2006-2007, Geoff Petrie was signed with the Kings on June 1, 1994. Since then the Draft Week activities by the Kings have been:

6-29-94 - Drafted Brian Grant, Michael Smith and Lawrence Funderburke.
6-28-95 - Drafted Corliss Williamson, Tyus Edney and Dejan Bodiroga.
6-29-95 - Traded Spud Webb to Atlanta for Tyrone Corbin.
6-24-96 - Traded Sarunas Marciulionis and the #37 pick overall to Denver for Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.
6-26-96 - Drafted Peja Stojavokic and Jason Sasser.
6-27-96 - Conveyed Sasser rights to Portland for "future considerations."
6-25-97 - Deafted Olivier St. Jean (Tariq Abdul-Wahad) and Anthony Johnson.
6-24-98 - Drafted Jason Williams and Jerome James.
6-30-99 - Drafted Ryan Robertson.
6-28-2000 - Drafted Hedo Turkoglu and Jabari Smith.
6-27-01 - Drafted Gerald Wallace and Maurice Jeffers.
6-27-01 - Traded Jason Williams and Nick Anderson to Vancouver for Mike Bibby and Brent Price. (NO draft picks involved).
6-26-02 - Drafted Dan Dickau. Traded Dickau rights to Atlanta for future first-round pick. Also drafted Corsley Edwards.
6-9-03 - Conveyed future first-round pick from Atlanta to Detroit in exchange for future first-round selection owed by Sacramento to Detroit from the 9/7/01 trade of Jon Barry for Mateen Cleaves.
6-23-03 - Acquired draft rights to Darius Songalia from Boston for two second-round draft picks (2003 and 2005).
6-24-04 - Drafted Kevin Martin and Ricky Minard.
6-28-05 - Drafted Francisco Garcia.
6-28-06 - Drafted Quincy Douby

Most of the Kings trades have NOT been done during Draft Week. And, of those that were, the biggest one (Bibby and Price for Williams and Anderson) didn't involve any draft picks.

Why wouldn't Atlanta want Bibby instead of Ridnour? I'm not a huge Bibby fan, but I think he's definitely better than Ridnour. Is this a smoke screen?
Bibby isn't really a distributor. He's a scorer, a shooter. The Hawks have a lot of guys who can finish, they need someone to get those guys the ball. I think Ridnour is just a better fit for that roster.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The main point is that Billy Knight, for whatever reason, likes Ridnour best.