Healthy Jackson vows to speak up

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11251160p-12166511c.html

Ailene Voisin: Healthy Jackson vows to speak up

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, October 29, 2004

Bobby Jackson was a straight shooter long before he developed that audacious stroke from the perimeter, give or take a few off-

balance attempts. And after consecutive seasons fractured by injuries - a broken hand, a sprained foot, an abdominal strain that sidelined him throughout the 2004 playoffs - the veteran Kings guard is chirping at the mike.

He wants a contract extension.

He wants a championship.

He also wants his teammates to keep any "issues" inside the locker room, wants the most productive players to receive the majority of the playing time, and wants any potential defectors to slam the door on their way out of Arco Arena.

No doubt about it. Bobby's back.

But as he enters his eighth NBA season and fifth with the Kings, Jackson, who has a club option for 2005-06 remaining on his bargain-basement contract, is almost obsessed with regaining his health, which, under ideal circumstances, would enhance the team's prospects for a successful season and his pursuit of a long-term agreement.

"I have given my all to the Kings," he said bluntly, "and I want a four-five year deal for my family. But they (team officials) want to know if I can stay healthy, and I don't blame them at all. Why invest money in somebody that keeps getting hurt? The good news is that while I'm not shooting the ball well, I'm not experiencing the soreness in my abdomen anymore."

The impact of Jackson's absence late last season can't be overstated. When he is available and substituting for Mike Bibby or Doug Christie, the backcourt triumvirate is as potent as any in the league, with the three Kings complementing each other both in personality and playing style.

Bibby is a superior shooter and shrewd, clever playmaker whose laconic demeanor bedevils opponents, allowing for deceptive darts into the seams of the defense.

Christie, wiry and athletic, remains a harassing defender and creative passer whose greatest assets are his versatility - and until his current plantar fasciitis - his durability.

Jackson, who has nursed a bruised right hand throughout training camp, is the burst off the bench, the superb sixth man, predictable only in his

productivity.

A fan favorite because of his energetic, blunt-force fury, he is the rare King who can be found buried in a heap pursuing a loose ball or thrusting his body into a crowd for rebounds, and for someone once regarded as an erratic shooter, those off-balance, end-of-clock field goals have become part of his routine.

"Everything he brings in terms of energy and toughness is very important to our success," said assistant coach Elston Turner, "and if something needs to be said, he doesn't mind saying it."

While watching the Kings' late-season skid, Jackson, who felt uncomfortable speaking up while seated on the bench, almost bit his tongue to avoid a verbal mishap. Yet these several months later, he swears his days of silent observation are over.

Should similar circumstances arise - the Kings' on-court chemistry dissolving, the questions and finger-pointing in the locker room starting, the injuries mounting - the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder vows to insinuate himself into the situation.

"The stuff that went on late last year, heck, yes, I would have had something to say," insisted Jackson. "We did not play to our potential. When that happens, everyone looks for someone to blame. (Chris) Webb (Webber) was playing hurt and playing a lot of minutes, but that wasn't his fault. He doesn't make that decision. Peja (Stojakovic) started struggling for whatever reason. But when you have a teammate struggling, you figure out a way to lift him up, not tear him down. And if there are issues, instead of calling guys out in the newspaper, go and say it to their faces so we don't have a problem. If you have an issue, let's hear it, but leave it in the locker room.

"And like I said about Peja last summer; I love Peja like a brother, but if a guy doesn't want to be here, we don't want him here. I want to play with guys who want to be part of this. I've been through enough these last two years, man. I lost my mom ... all my injuries ... I just want to win."

In a quiet aside, Jackson notes that the onset of his physical problems coincided with the death of his mother, Sarah, in January 2002. Compounding his emotional state and recurring injury woes, he reveals, were the talk-show rants and inferences that he was being overly cautious and more concerned about his future earning power than the Kings' postseason.

Indeed, questioning the legitimacy of a player's injury and/or availability is the sports' equivalent of a low blow, and Jackson, of all people, would seem an unlikely target.

He has a history of playing hard and playing hurt. He also plays for a lot less than he's worth. He will earn $3.1 million this season, and assuming the Kings exercise the option, $3.3 million in 2005-06 - still far below the 2004-05 salaries of any of the Kings' starters.

At those prices, and after his one-game comeback (April 9) only aggravated the abdominal tear that had benched him for the previous 24 games, Jackson, 31, would have been foolish to jeopardize his career for a postseason cameo. And asking him to temper his movements in the heat of a playoff game? Forget it. Just wouldn't happen. Just isn't him.

"Me playing on cruise control would only have hurt the team," he said. "I kept working out, thinking I might play if we had reached the conference finals. But to be honest, I doubt I would have been physically able, probably would have torn it worse. That's why when I look at this year, when I say we can be really good, we have to stay away from all those injuries."

That will be his message. Stay healthy. Stay ready. Beware, Bobby's back.

LMM said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11251160p-12166511c.html

Bobby Jackson ...

He wants a championship.

I have given my all to the Kings," he said bluntly, "and I want a four-five year deal for my family. But they (team officials) want to know if I can stay healthy, and I don't blame them at all. Why invest money in somebody that keeps getting hurt? The good news is that while I'm not shooting the ball well, I'm not experiencing the soreness in my abdomen anymore."
Give the man a four year extension NOW. He'll be healthy, and we won't find a better deal on a quality backup PG - ever.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jose said:
Give the man a four year extension NOW. He'll be healthy, and we won't find a better deal on a quality backup PG - ever.
Well that's kind of the problem -- he's not going to be the same sort of deal next time around. If you did a Top 10 list of biggest steals/best per$ deals in the NBA Bobby would have to be right there. Resigning him is going to cost some serious cash. Perhaps if Doug retires we can use his salary cap room, but we are talking about some serious numbers next time -- maybe $35-$40 mil for 4-5 years?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I certainly hope the Kings do whatever they can to keep Bobby J around. As long as his famiily is provided for (to paraphrase Bobby), I don't think he'll leave. And I don't think he even cares if he starts or not.

Bobby fully deserves a nice paycheck.

I do not want to see Bobby Jackson slip away.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I hear you about the money Brick, but seriously a contract extension for Bobby should be a no brainer. Stack it on the back end take your lumps and move on, I say. And I love what he had to say about building Pedja up in the post season. I still don't understand why Adelman did not run more screens, triple screns what ever it takes to get Pedja open. We can talk about the shorcommings of his game all day, but the most productive thing to do is to expand on his strenghts. Building his confidence might not seem like much but what good does ripping him do?

Last edited:
LMM said:

Bobby Jackson was a straight shooter long before he developed that audacious stroke from the perimeter, give or take a few off-

balance attempts. And after consecutive seasons fractured by injuries - a broken hand, a sprained foot, an abdominal strain that sidelined him throughout the 2004 playoffs - the veteran Kings guard is chirping at the mike.

He wants a championship.

He also wants his teammates to keep any "issues" inside the locker room, wants the most productive players to receive the majority of the playing time, and wants any potential defectors to slam the door on their way out of Arco Arena.
Bye Ailene, Arco just won't be the same without you! :D

G

godsthename

What webber said to peja might be the best thing for him

HndsmCelt said:
I hear you about the money Brick, but seriously a contract extension for Bobby should be a no brainer. Stack it on the back end take your lumps and move on, I say. And I love what he had to say about building Pedja up in the post season. I still don't understand why Adelman did not run more screens, triple screns what ever it takes to get Pedja open. We can talk about the shorcommings of his game all day, but the most productive thing to do is to expand on his strenghts. Building his confidence might not seem like much but what good does ripping him do?
I agree Peja is like a reggie miller he needs those screens to create some space from the defender. I think adelman better start giving the ball to peja more in pressure sitiations during the regular season so he is not as scared. I always hate it because they give the ball to webber in the 4th qaurter and the denfense swarms him and either he loses the ball or throws up a shot. Webber is getting too old to take control so peja needs to step it up in the 4th like webber said. What webber said to peja might be the best thing for him.

godsthename said:
I agree Peja is like a reggie miller he needs those screens to create some space from the defender. I think adelman better start giving the ball to peja more in pressure sitiations during the regular season so he is not as scared. I always hate it because they give the ball to webber in the 4th qaurter and the denfense swarms him and either he loses the ball or throws up a shot. Webber is getting too old to take control so peja needs to step it up in the 4th like webber said. What webber said to peja might be the best thing for him.
:confused: What? When?

If there is a shot to needed in crunch time I, and I know a lot of other people agree with me, want the ball in the hands of Mike Bibby.

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
Seriously I think the Bobby thing is going to come down to where we are after ths season. if we're still trying to contend -- gotta believe we will at least put in a competitive bid. Might come down to how strong his desire to start is. But if we're rebuilding (if we fall short again it seems entirely possible), not sure we'll really be in the market for a 32 yr old PG.

As for Peja...well, that might be nice. But the playoffs is no time to be experimenting with that kind of thing. The fact is that in the entire time Peja has been with the Kings I can only recall two times, once last year, and once a couple of years ago in an OT game with Toronto (or Boston...?) where Peja hit the last second shot. But I can recall a lot of misses in that situation. And he has basically shrunk in the playoffs every year of his career. Just not sure he has it in him. He was never even the guy to take those shots for his NT -- that was Bodiroga.

In any case, the Kings already work harder to get Peja open than just about any team in the league for one of their players. I often wonder just how hard everybody else is susposed to work to help Peja generate his offense. Heck, if you put me on the Kings and the whole damn team didn't do anything except try to set screens to get me open I could probably average...well, 8ppg on 20% shooting. But you get the point. ;)

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Seriously I think the Bobby thing is going to come down to where we are after ths season. if we're still trying to contend -- gotta believe we will at least put in a competitive bid. Might come down to how strong his desire to start is. But if we're rebuilding (if we fall short again it seems entirely possible), not sure we'll really be in the market for a 32 yr old PG.

As for Peja...well, that might be nice. But the playoffs is no time to be experimenting with that kind of thing. The fact is that in the entire time Peja has been with the Kings I can only recall two times, once last year, and once a couple of years ago in an OT game with Toronto (or Boston...?) where Peja hit the last second shot. But I can recall a lot of misses in that situation. Just not sure he has it in him. He was never even the guy to take those shots for his NT -- that was Bodiroga.

In any case, the Kings already work harder to get Peja open than just about any team in the league for one of their players. I often wonder just how hard everybody else is susposed to work to help Peja generate his offense. Heck, if you put me on the Kings and the whole damn team didn't do anything except try to set screens to get me open I could probably average...well, 8ppg on 20% shooting. But you get the point. ;)
I'd agree with you on getting Pedja shots WHEN Webber is NOT in the game. Unfortuantly for better or worse with Webber in the plays tend to send Pedja out to strech the defnece, and yes there will often be one screne avaliable if he gets the ball, but more often than not the paly moves to the other side and if the ball gets kicked out to Pedaj he is out there on his own. Sure he has one of the fastest releases I have ever seen but he might be more efective with more plays setting multiple screens.

As for Bobby I tned to agree that if the team gets dimantled he may not be the hot propety to keep, but he has great trade value and could easliy make a nice package with either Pedja or Webber. Just letting him walk does nothing but clear a few mill of cap space.

Well maybe in the future we will also see threads that talk about getting the younger/fitter PG who came in for cheap rather than taking on bobby for a big price when his health is an issue and he is getting old ;)

Now i understand why bobby didnt want to take any risk last season, probably he would have if he had the contract extension.

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
I'd agree with you on getting Pedja shots WHEN Webber is NOT in the game. Unfortuantly for better or worse with Webber in the plays tend to send Pedja out to strech the defnece, and yes there will often be one screne avaliable if he gets the ball, but more often than not the paly moves to the other side and if the ball gets kicked out to Pedaj he is out there on his own. Sure he has one of the fastest releases I have ever seen but he might be more efective with more plays setting multiple screens.

As for Bobby I tned to agree that if the team gets dimantled he may not be the hot propety to keep, but he has great trade value and could easliy make a nice package with either Pedja or Webber. Just letting him walk does nothing but clear a few mill of cap space.
Oh I agree on the trade value thing. I HATE just letting guys walk. Speaks of poor planning. We've got to make a call on Bobby, and maybe on Peja too, and be decisive on it. If they aren't part of the future, whether by our choice or theirs, its imperative we make that decision next summer and move them for value.

But I have to believe that the resolution of both of those questions is largely dependant on how we do this year. if we were to win the championship, or at least get to the Finals. Think we try to keep the team together, and think Peja pulls his head out and decides maybe this isn't so bad after all. If things go otherwise...could see us blowing it up, and Peja wanting out.

Bricklayer

outsider62 said:
Hm... Who carried the team to its first PO victory?
One game does not make a playoffs outsider. And certainly not a 6 yr career.

This is not really a debatable point. I could go ahead and post the year by year stats for Peja's playoffs yet again at this point, but its not really a bag on Peja thread. The only year Peja had even been respectable was 2 years ago against Dallas. And I would argue that he was actually a little disappointing in that series as well simply for not stepping up as a prime time star when Webber went down. Three quarters of greatness in Gm 3. And then just another shooter in a shooters series.

One game does not make a playoffs outsider. And certainly not a 6 yr career.
I'm not quite sure it was just one game (against Suns). I agree that Peja was not great overall in PO, but the question is: He did it once long time ago, why he couldn't repeat it? Actually he had one more great PO shooting night against Minny (- FTs) and he really played hard last year.

I believe if you don't put too much pressure on him, he can be X-factor the similar way Toni Kukoc was for the Bulls. Do you remember the last finale against Utah?

I really enjoyed Boby's comments, he is the man!

Last edited:
LMM said:

No doubt about it. Bobby's back.

A fan favorite because of his energetic, blunt-force fury, he is the rare King who can be found buried in a heap pursuing a loose ball or thrusting his body into a crowd for rebounds, and for someone once regarded as an erratic shooter, those off-balance, end-of-clock field goals have become part of his routine.

"Everything he brings in terms of energy and toughness is very important to our success," said assistant coach Elston Turner, "and if something needs to be said, he doesn't mind saying it."

While watching the Kings' late-season skid, Jackson, who felt uncomfortable speaking up while seated on the bench, almost bit his tongue to avoid a verbal mishap. Yet these several months later, he swears his days of silent observation are over.

Should similar circumstances arise - the Kings' on-court chemistry dissolving, the questions and finger-pointing in the locker room starting, the injuries mounting - the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder vows to insinuate himself into the situation.

"The stuff that went on late last year, heck, yes, I would have had something to say," insisted Jackson. "We did not play to our potential. When that happens, everyone looks for someone to blame. (Chris) Webb (Webber) was playing hurt and playing a lot of minutes, but that wasn't his fault. He doesn't make that decision. Peja (Stojakovic) started struggling for whatever reason. But when you have a teammate struggling, you figure out a way to lift him up, not tear him down. And if there are issues, instead of calling guys out in the newspaper, go and say it to their faces so we don't have a problem. If you have an issue, let's hear it, but leave it in the locker room.

"And like I said about Peja last summer; I love Peja like a brother, but if a guy doesn't want to be here, we don't want him here. I want to play with guys who want to be part of this. I've been through enough these last two years, man. I lost my mom ... all my injuries ... I just want to win."

I am surprised no one that brought that up. I wonder what really happen in the locker room last year?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
outsider62 said:
I'm not quite sure it was just one game (against Suns).
I am. Stojakovic went into Game 4 of that playoff series averaging 18.67 points on .362 shooting. Game 4 was the only game of that playoff series where he shot over 46%.

outsider62 said:
... I agree that Peja was not great overall in PO, but the question is: He did it once long time ago, why he couldn't repeat it? Actually he had one more great PO shooting night against Minny (- FTs) and he really played hard last year...
Stojakovic has probably had three "great" shooting performances in his playoff history. He's played in fifty-two playoff games. For someone who hangs his hat on shooting, that's not a very good ratio.

outsider62 said:
I believe if you don't put too much pressure on him, he can be X-factor the similar way Toni Kukoc was for the Bulls...
The problem with this line of thinking is that Kukoc was, at best, the third-best player on that Bulls team. Stojakovic, at the very least, is the second-best player on this team and, in the eyes of many, the best player. "Too much pressure" isn't an acceptable excuse. He needs to be able to overcome problems like that.

And, not for nothing, but the most successful this team has ever been in the playoffs has been in games when Webber and Stojakovic played together. Why so many people continue to feel the need to side with one to the exclusion of the other escapes me...

Ok,Bobby....Pedja doesen't want to be here, but Maloofs doesen't want to trade him. It's not Pedja fault...
What's wrong with this guy:confused: ? Bobby talking about Pedja like Chris or something:rolleyes: . Maybe even worse:(

Bricklayer

Jasna88 said:

Ok,Bobby....Pedja doesen't want to be here, but Maloofs doesen't want to trade him. It's not Pedja fault...
What's wrong with this guy:confused: ? Bobby talking about Pedja like Chris or something:rolleyes: . Maybe even worse:(
There might be a common thread there, and its not Bobby or Webb. Peja kind of assassinated his own character with that trade demand. In any case, if Peja has quit on the team and wants out, I don't want him here either. And I certainly wouldn't want to play alongside a guy with that attitude. Luckily I haven't seen much in the preseason to indicate problems. On the other hand I also haven't seen much passion either (from him or the other guys for that matter), so I am withholding judgment.

outsider62 said:
I believe if you don't put too much pressure on him, he can be X-factor the similar way Toni Kukoc was for the Bulls. Do you remember the last finale against Utah?

*QUOTE]

i swear i thought of that too.
only thing is, people tend to chew up peja more because he's supposed to be the pseudo "the man". so when he doesn't rise and shine, it's his fault for losing the game.
i'd like to see him step up. he seems to not realize that he's risen to be one of the top guys and he should, and is capable to, take charge.
i think it's role confusion. he seems to be settling to be the toni kukoc when he could be the michael jordan (or something like that.)

Jasna88 said:

i dont' think bobby dislikes peja. i think they must know each other well enough for him to say something like that.
kinda like people tend to be more harsh on the people they are closest to, you know.
he did say he loves peja like a bro, right?
i can see where he's coming from when he is concerned about the best interest of the team

I don't see a problem with this statement.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jasna88 said:
Oh, please. It's not Pedja's fault? Who asked for the trade? Maybe I missed something, but I could have sworn it was Pedja...

This was all hashed out during the summer. It isn't about Pedja - or Bobby - or Chris Webber for that matter.

It's about the KINGS. All of them.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I don't see a problem either. Who wants to play with someone who doesn't want to be on your team? There is nothing wrong with what Bobby said. The problem was with Pedja going public and "demanding" a trade. If he had kept it between he/agent and Petrie/Kings org, then fine, but going public means you have to be able to accept your teammates reactions.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think every single member of the team needs to avoid making public statements like the plague, because no matter what they say, how innocent it is, or how truthful they're being, someone is going to take offense.

They're not being paid for public speaking.

They're being paid to play a game to the best of their ability. They can do that without EVER speaking to the media again, as far as I'm concerned.

It's about the game!!!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
I think every single member of the team needs to avoid making public statements like the plague, because no matter what they say, how innocent it is, or how truthful they're being, someone is going to take offense.

They're being paid to play a game to the best of their ability. They can do that without EVER speaking to the media again, as far as I'm concerned.

It's about the game!!!
I agree 100% whats more I have been thinking about this for some time now. I teach communication (speech) at Fresno State, and after having a good many athleets in my classes (a good many major in Comm) I have drawn the conclusion that it would be worth while to offer a class in interviewing, focusing on how to conduct them AND how to handle your self in an interview. Given the number of athleets in collage that want to play pro ball and the number of stupid things I have seen athleets say I think the course would be not only popular but dam usefull. In adition think of how usefull it would be for athleets considering broadcsting, and other journalisim majors as well. Of course one oft he first lessons would be in what NOT to say.

VF21 said:

It's about the game!!!
i agree.
besides, the media does have a tendency to blow things out of proportion. maybe it's not even that big a deal.
so when they speak before the public before they think twice about it, the media and obsessed fans (such as moi) will over-react.
and it will be difficult to quit over-reacting.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think it would be a very practical, popular and worthy class, Celt. And, as part of it, I think it should include "Who NOT to talk to in the media and why..."

;)