Have you been polled on a new arena?

Have you be formally asked about a new arena?

• Yes, I have been polled

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have never been asked

Votes: 49 100.0%

• Total voters
I suspect that nobody on this board has ever been asked whether Sacramento should have a new arena. Decision makers speak of polls. What polls?

Okay, people who get paid to do polls for a living, do it scientifically, targeting an exact group (people who live IN the city of Sacramento) vs a random internet sampling of an entirely different group (fans of the Kings, regardless of geographic location, who are not impacted by Sacramento taxes or public services). Somehow I think the point you're trying to make is going to be skewed slightly.

I lived in Sacramento for 20 years and nobody ever asked me what I thought about City policies. Polls are usually rigged. The polls run before every election are particularly laughable.

Who knows, they probably asked people exiting the Crest Theater on a Kings game night. Maybe they asked people on the street at 2:00 am in Lavendar Heights? Maybe they polled people at a WWF show? Maybe it was a call in poll from LINK TV? Maybe they randomly called houses in Sacramento between 2:00 and 3:00 PM until they collected enough voters to close-out their poll numbers?

Scientific, my xxx.

I and my entire network of close family and friends have not ONCE ever been asked about a new arena. Most of us have lived here IN SACRAMENTO 35 years or longer.

Does anyone posting here have any contacts with Channel 31 or any of the local television channels? I would love to see the arena issue discussed on one of those community interest programs like Good Day Sacramento. Discussed for more than the 30 seconds they normally devote to real issues!!!

captain bill said:
Okay, people who get paid to do polls for a living, do it scientifically, targeting an exact group (people who live IN the city of Sacramento) vs a random internet sampling of an entirely different group (fans of the Kings, regardless of geographic location, who are not impacted by Sacramento taxes or public services). Somehow I think the point you're trying to make is going to be skewed slightly.
I don't believe staying just within the city limits. Maybe the county, but even then their are people in near by counties like Placer County that enjoy the Kings and come to games etc. That city of Sacramento itself is far too limited.

DocHolliday said:
I don't believe staying just within the city limits. Maybe the county, but even then their are people in near by counties like Placer County that enjoy the Kings and come to games etc. That city of Sacramento itself is far too limited.
That's exactly my point. The city is supposed to finance an arena that- the perception is- benefits a huge franchise and fanbase that is not limited to the city. Hence the city government opposes it on the grounds that- right or not- they perceive that they are being asked to finance other peoples' pet project. Of course 100% of a kingsfans.com site is going to say, yeah, let's get a new kings arena. The city counsil of Sac argues differently.

I'm not defending them, but if you're articulately a lets poll kings fans and prove the city wrong, you're fighting them at their own game which they will always have the better ground on, and you will always be wrong. This takes a more creative solution then just complaining about an inefficient city counsel that can't get much of anything done.

captain bill said:
That's exactly my point. The city is supposed to finance an arena that- the perception is- benefits a huge franchise and fanbase that is not limited to the city. Hence the city government opposes it on the grounds that- right or not- they perceive that they are being asked to finance other peoples' pet project. Of course 100% of a kingsfans.com site is going to say, yeah, let's get a new kings arena. The city counsil of Sac argues differently.

I'm not defending them, but if you're articulately a lets poll kings fans and prove the city wrong, you're fighting them at their own game which they will always have the better ground on, and you will always be wrong. This takes a more creative solution then just complaining about an inefficient city counsel that can't get much of anything done.
This team is called the Sacramento Kings, not the Roseville, Elk Grove, or Folsom Kings. The Sacramento City Council recently had the audacity, amidst this well publicized arena debaucle, to solicit ideas from the public on how to spend 72 million dollars that they the City Council had yet to alllocate, and indeed for which they apparently had no designated use. Amazing.

You can not expect the general public (aka Kings fans) to develop a scheme to create a multi-government corporation for funding and mangement of an arena venture. This is the job of elected officials.

In my opinion, the Sacramento City Council and mayopr Fargo are clearly not interested in keeping the Kings in Sacramento. It is not on their agenda. They have not even put the issue before the public for a vote.

Five years after the Kings leave Sacramento, the Sacramento City Council will promote a new arena for special events like ice skating, erotic film festivals, and earth day celebrations.

Last edited:
quick dog said:
This team is called the Sacramento Kings, not the Roseville, Elk Grove, or Folsom Kings. The Sacramento City Council recently had the audacity, amidst this well publicized arena debaucle, to solicit ideas from the public on how to spend 72 million dollars that they the City Council had yet to alllocate, and indeed for which they apparently had no designated use. Amazing.

The City Council earlier had the poor taste and unmitigated arrogance to issue a proclamation against the Iraq War and subsequent attempts at national restoration. This action is aiding and abetting a sworn enemy during a time of war. The City Council apparently doesn't have enough time to find ways to build a new arena, but they have time for this left-wing nonsense?

You can not expect the general public (aka Kings fans) to develop a scheme to create a multi-government corporation for funding and mangement of an arena venture. This is the job of elected officials.

In my opinion, the Sacramento City Council and mayopr Fargo are clearly not interested in keeping the Kings in Sacramento. It is not on their agenda. They have not even put the issue before the public for a vote.

What a bunch of losers. It is sickening. You watch, within a period of five years after the Kings eventually leave Sacramento, the Sacramento City Council will be promoting a new arena for special events like ice skating, erotic film festivals, and earth day celebrations.
You're missing the point. I can agree with most of what you say (other than the rabid frothing, which I hate no matter what you're view) but at a certain point you have to recognize that this thread is fruitless. If, for example, someone were to run for public office arguing in favor of a new arena as part of a platform, this would be a different story. Unfortunately, that's not anything close to what this thread is arguing. The spirit of this thread is hey, we want a new arena and the Sac city council didn't ask our opinions (and probably didn't ask anyones). It's really the poll itself that annoys me, this thread is looking for numbers, not ideas, which is really absurd because the city monopolizes that game. I'd say a more intelligent tactic to take would be to go to saveourkings.com (or through this site and other Sac organizations) and try to actually organize a citizens action group, maybe encourage officials to run on the Kings, get a public debate going. (Granted, I'm out of the Sac local media area, so I don't know how much of an issue this is, but judging by the Bee articles and discussion here, it's not big enough) You know, actually try to change things rather than yelling at people on a message board about abetting enemies and whatnot.

Maybe you could learn something from those damn hippies who get their agenda to the city council. Seriously, I'm not joking, you could. Groups have an agenda, they organize (much to the ire of other folks, naturally) and actually get things done. This has yet to happen (to my knowledge) on any serious level. The saveourkings site is a step in the right direction, actually organizing. But the Sacramento residents (or W Sac, outlying potential arena sites, and the state if it comes to that) need to step up to get this done.

quick dog said:
The City Council earlier had the poor taste and unmitigated arrogance to issue a proclamation against the Iraq War and subsequent attempts at national restoration. This action is aiding and abetting a sworn enemy during a time of war. The City Council apparently doesn't have enough time to find ways to build a new arena, but they have time for this left-wing nonsense?
I realize that there are elements of this arena discussion that are political in nature, but I'd hate to see one of the arena threads closed due to unnecessary political editorializing such as this.

captain bill said:
You're missing the point. I can agree with most of what you say (other than the rabid frothing, which I hate no matter what you're view) but at a certain point you have to recognize that this thread is fruitless. If, for example, someone were to run for public office arguing in favor of a new arena as part of a platform, this would be a different story. Unfortunately, that's not anything close to what this thread is arguing. The spirit of this thread is hey, we want a new arena and the Sac city council didn't ask our opinions (and probably didn't ask anyones). It's really the poll itself that annoys me, this thread is looking for numbers, not ideas, which is really absurd because the city monopolizes that game. I'd say a more intelligent tactic to take would be to go to saveourkings.com (or through this site and other Sac organizations) and try to actually organize a citizens action group, maybe encourage officials to run on the Kings, get a public debate going. (Granted, I'm out of the Sac local media area, so I don't know how much of an issue this is, but judging by the Bee articles and discussion here, it's not big enough) You know, actually try to change things rather than yelling at people on a message board about abetting enemies and whatnot.

Maybe you could learn something from those damn hippies who get their agenda to the city council. Seriously, I'm not joking, you could. Groups have an agenda, they organize (much to the ire of other folks, naturally) and actually get things done. This has yet to happen (to my knowledge) on any serious level. The saveourkings site is a step in the right direction, actually organizing. But the Sacramento residents (or W Sac, outlying potential arena sites, and the state if it comes to that) need to step up to get this done.
How much experience do you have trying to effect changes within local, State, and federal government? My frustration and "rabid frothing" comes from having worked within the system at almost every level for the better part of 30 years. I am more aware of the reality of dealing with elected officals and bureaucrats than you might think. I have been within the beast.

This project is far more difficult that putting on a stage play like Andy Hardy and his neighborhood friends.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just a request:

Getting angry at each other, sniping, etc. isn't going to solve anything.

Please, keep the discussion as civil as possible. We're all after the same thing. We want to keep the Kings from moving away...

I wouldn't be opposed to us building an arena in West Sac. Things get done there....not all the red tape we have here in Sacramento. They even built a nice multi million $ arena in Stockton. Why does it have to be so hard to get a new arena here in Sacramento??? We have a fun team to watch afterall???

That poll made me mad when it came out. The results of any poll depend on how you frame the question. Right off the bat, they asked if people thought the Kings needed a new arena. The questions should be whwether Sacramento region needs a new, quality, arena venue. I would also like to see how many of the people polled have ever been to a major arena in another city. (Arco might seem okay, until compared to what many other places have.)

Or ask people, if then Kings leave town, and Arco has to be replaced, do you care if Sacramento has no arena. If you care, who should pay for it then (no Maloofs.)? I think the way they framed the questions, the poll was doomed to be negative.:mad:

My informal poll seems to have demonstrated that no KingsFans.com posters were polled concerning the prospect of building a new multi-purpose arena in Sacramento.

At the same time, I have refused to participate in at least a dozen political polls. I suspect that many of you have received annoying telephone-polls, sometimes during a Kings game.