Harry Giles thread back on track ;)

Harry's NBA Ceiling

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
my favorite King, looks like watching from the sidelines for a year has helped him out. Still too early to appoint him anything until we see this action in the regular season but how can't you get excited about Giles?

I think Giles has all star potential his jump shots looks very good which should determine that. He’s got the running hook he hits when he drives past his defender so when his jumpsuit starts being automatic he has that. Also the hype about his passing was real he’s easily our best passer.

He should be a 15-8-4 type of guy in a couple of years.

I like Giles. I think he will be very good player. A potential 18 pts, 10 rebs, 3-4 assists type player.

But, he looks small against other teams bigs, especially the centers. I can see him filling out and manning the Power Forward position, but I think he will get man handled by a lot of the bigger centers like Ayton, DMC, Anthony Davis, etc.

I see Giles more as a Power Forward with Marvin Bagley eventually holding down the Center position in a couple of years.

I like Giles. I think he will be very good player. A potential 18 pts, 10 rebs, 3-4 assists type player.

But, he looks small against other teams bigs, especially the centers. I can see him filling out and manning the Power Forward position, but I think he will get man handled by a lot of the bigger centers like Ayton, DMC, Anthony Davis, etc.

I see Giles more as a Power Forward with Marvin Bagley eventually holding down the Center position in a couple of years.
I could see that.

Those bigger, bigs. DMC and all are trending extinct. Sure there will always be more classic bigs but I think with fox as our franchise PG we are perfectly designed for MB35 and Giles to be 4 and 5. Eventually we will exploit those big guys for not being fast enough to keep up with Giles and MB35. It hopefully can go both ways there

Those bigger, bigs. DMC and all are trending extinct. Sure there will always be more classic bigs but I think with fox as our franchise PG we are perfectly designed for MB35 and Giles to be 4 and 5. Eventually we will exploit those big guys for not being fast enough to keep up with Giles and MB35. It hopefully can go both ways there
I love Harry too, but he was getting bounced some against Israel team’s front line. He is going to have to gain to play center. He’s only 20, so he has time to do it. But he will have to gain to play center in the nba

Not that he’d be weaker than WCS in the paint, but he will have to gain

I agree with this. I'm not so much worried about the big overpowering C, but it just seems like Giles is more of a PF/SF and Bagley more PF/C. At least at this point I'm more comfortable seeing Bagley doing dirty work around the basket than getting the ball on the three point line. Either way, it seems like coach probably ends up playing the two of them a lot together, probably 20 to 25 minutes per game for at least the first few weeks of the season.

I'm still curious what the plan is for WCS. I have no problem keeping him at the right price, but where does he fit in long term. And, if they don't think he fits in are they better off trying to get something for him in the middle of the season. Will be interesting to see how the playing time trends over the course of the season for the three of them.

I love Harry too, but he was getting bounced some against Israel team’s front line. He is going to have to gain to play center. He’s only 20, so he has time to do it. But he will have to gain to play center in the nba

Not that he’d be weaker than WCS in the paint, but he will have to gain
You really think he’ll have to gain?

I guess I was the only one that voted for solid rotation player? heh.. I was torn between starter and rotation
The poll was for his "ceiling"....I've seen him make plays this preseason that I would only expect a handful of bigs in the league to make: touch pass to WCS against the Lakers; behind the back, no look pass to Bagley for the dunk last night; handoff no hesitation 3. WILL he become a superstar? Who knows, but I firmly believe he has that potential.

The poll was for his "ceiling"....I've seen him make plays this preseason that I would only expect a handful of bigs in the league to make: touch pass to WCS against the Lakers; behind the back, no look pass to Bagley for the dunk last night; handoff no hesitation 3. WILL he become a superstar? Who knows, but I firmly believe he has that potential.
Agree here that we are talking ceiling. His per 36 numbers as a 20yr old rookie suggest his ceiling is MUCH higher than your guess. His ceiling is basically Kevin Garnett (similar per 36 at same age).

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for the plus starter and or one or two time All-Star option as his ceiling. The reason I said that is because at the end of the day he has had two major career-altering surgeries already. I think he will get to where he has a few seasons of All-Star caliber play but because of his health history I can't project that out to be a perennial All-Star

I voted for the plus starter and or one or two time All-Star option as his ceiling. The reason I said that is because at the end of the day he has had two major career-altering surgeries already. I think he will get to where he has a few seasons of All-Star caliber play but because of his health history I can't project that out to be a perennial All-Star
Yeah Harry may definitely be a paradigm shift. Has medical technology on knees progressed enough that having an ACL tear becomes something where you come back good as new or is it significantly career limiting.

I think it’s the former which is why I wanted the Kings to draft OG and Harry.

Yeah Harry may definitely be a paradigm shift. Has medical technology on knees progressed enough that having an ACL tear becomes something where you come back good as new or is it significantly career limiting.

Here is the quandary about people saying they wanted both OG and Giles in that draft.

Chances are that Vlade weighed the risk of taking one ACL injured player in the draft and summized that Harry was the better overall risk and took Harry with the 20th pick.

Let’s just play back that draft for the rebuilding Kings. IF Vlade would would had taken OG with the 16th pick, instead of JJ, chances are that Vlade (or any GM) would not had taken another ACL risk in Giles at #20. Staking your future on 2 draft picks coming off major knee surgery would be extremely risky. More than likely, if OG was taken at #16, the Kings would had taken someone else at #20.

Also, the draft may have been different and Giles may have been drafted before #20 if the Kings took OG at 16.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I am happy the Kings have Giles. :)

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I totally agree and would like this post multiple times if I could. :)

I think that the surgeries will shorten his career, and another major knee injury will be the beginning of the end of his career. But for now he seems healthy, and damn good. let's hope that continues!

Agree here that we are talking ceiling. His per 36 numbers as a 20yr old rookie suggest his ceiling is MUCH higher than your guess. His ceiling is basically Kevin Garnett (similar per 36 at same age).
Ahh ok cool. I was thinking this year for some reason. He's dfinitely a starter then. One up from my vote. Maybe 2.

Harry is having an extremely rough transition to the NBA. I've only watched 1 "full" game, but I've caught glimpses in addition to highlights of others. Right now, I don't think he is a NBA player yet. He looks just about as raw as Skal did.

We've had 5 games to go off of and not a lot of minutes, but the lack of minutes is due to him getting into foul trouble. Taking a look at his stats:
13.2mins: 3.8pts 3.0rebs 1.0asts 0.4blk 0.4stls 1.8tos 3.8PFs
  • 30% FG
While he has good passing IQ, he has a poor overall feel for the game. He puts up 6FGA in his 13.2mins. If you're going off per36, he would be leading the Kings in FGA. He's forcing a lot of shots that just aren't there. The defensive end is his biggest problem. He's listed at 6'10 240lbs, but he plays a lot smaller. He struggles to hold his own against physical players... they back him up with ease. He also has a hard time defending PnRs because his footspeed is lacking. We're in this tango with him. He does lack basketball experience and we're seeing that now... the question is, would he benefit more through the NBA or GLeague? If we're being honest, if you take away the hype that was generated by the FO, there would be no discussion.

Our goal right now isn't necessarily the playoffs, so does it hurt to have Giles gain NBA experience? On the other hand, is having Giles on the floor hurting the development of his teammates?

He just needs to play a lot better. He looks very bad.

Fortunately I believe that we do not have to play him at a high rate right away. If we need him to he has responded well.

With our two power forwards both playing well we can put Bagley in a position to succeed. And the coach is figuring it out and has the season progresses he will start many nights I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.