Harry Giles thread back on track ;)

Harry's NBA Ceiling

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can find Stockton Kings full games on Facebook. I saw the boxscore of the game and was excited for Giles so I watched the feed on Facebook. Not as good as boxscore suggested. Didn’t play much defense and was a -21.
Keep us posted on their schedule even if Giles dips down even for a tiny bit. Start a thread on it!

He still might! This is an ultra talented guy. He showed promise in the summer league and now G-league. Everyone raves about him in practice. At this moment he's dominating semi pro talent. Not bad for so many years off.

He literally just needs to be playing the game without the pressure of hurting this current new “win now” team.

Considering his age and the front court depth this team has right now we can just consider this year an actual red shirt year. Theres no reason to rush his development. I truly think we have a future star level talent here. He's just gonna need to time to get used to actually playing and let all that built up frustration and overflowing emotions get under control.

That #1 ranked talent is still in there. He's just been through so much for being 20yrs old. Also I think a huge factor in his game right now is just trust in his body. If he can stay in one piece this year I think we will see him better use his strength and athleticism. He will be more into jumping and banging down low as time goes on. He (rightfully so) just looks hesitant to push it all the way.
He and Bagley could be one heck of a front court duo going forward. Can you imagine if both reached their ceiling??

Last edited:
All of sudden the Kings are deep. People like Giles, Bagley and Jackson coming off the bench are going to increase leads against most teams.
Giles and Jackson have a ways to go before they're even considered plus bench players. Giles is extremely raw and his defense is often porous. A good game for Jackson is him hitting a couple shots and grabbing a couple rebounds. Bagley is there already as a bench plus obviously, and could find himself starting by the All-Star break.

We are good. We can still be realistic about how good we are, though. I'd have much higher hopes for Giles than JJ.

I agree with your overall point though that we're pretty deep. Having Bagley and Bogdan come off the bench is not something a lot of teams can compete with. Mason and Yogi are very solid as backup PGs too, not to mention Kostas.

Yeah. That highlight reel from his game in Stockton showed that he is still capable of skying for the dunk but he seems mostly ground bound out of fear/ overthinking. I think the only way he ever gets better on that front is more playing time (the only way a kids stops being afraid of the water is more time in the pool). But once he realizes he's still got it, watch out.
Yeah I agree he looks like he is fearful of getting hurt when he plays. Especially down low. But to get better he has to play. If the front office was concerned about playing time my guess is it was Harry they were concerned about not Marvin.

Serious injuries are traumatic. I broke my femur in a mule wreck and nearly broke my neck in the same year. I retired from riding at about age 60 rather than try to continue.
Willie and Harry have some fear issues. It might help them to get come counseling about it. Plenty of people carry some PTSD around after bad injuries.

Serious injuries are traumatic. I broke my femur in a mule wreck and nearly broke my neck in the same year. I retired from riding at about age 60 rather than try to continue.
Willie and Harry have some fear issues. It might help them to get come counseling about it. Plenty of people carry some PTSD around after bad injuries.
And just as you were entering your prime riding years, too. :p

Giles and Jackson have a ways to go before they're even considered plus bench players. Giles is extremely raw and his defense is often porous. A good game for Jackson is him hitting a couple shots and grabbing a couple rebounds. Bagley is there already as a bench plus obviously, and could find himself starting by the All-Star break.

We are good. We can still be realistic about how good we are, though. I'd have much higher hopes for Giles than JJ.

I agree with your overall point though that we're pretty deep. Having Bagley and Bogdan come off the bench is not something a lot of teams can compete with. Mason and Yogi are very solid as backup PGs too, not to mention Kostas.
True. However, it does seem that both MBIII and Giles are natural 4s. If so, we can't use both, unless Giles is little more than a backup. For his sake, I hope he has a great career, though, if that happens, it's more likely to be with someone else than us.

Hopefully, we have him for at least two more years and see where he can reach.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He really does have Jokic/Vlade/Webber-esque court vision. While a lot of his game still needs work and he still needs to add another fifteen or so pounds of muscle, the kid's potential is undeniable now that he seems to have shaken off the early season gips.
He's made a big step forward in a very short time. Now we can see the guy we've been hearing about while he was getting healthy.

Giles was his own worst enemy for awhile. He tried too hard. He is making friends with himself and not pressing as much. Good things are in his future.
Yup.

Keep in mind he is only 20! years old. 4 years younger than Willie. Imagine Giles in 4 years. Not a bad draft pick if I do say so myself. It really was/is all about the injuries (impact, not mechanical) with him. They sound bad but if they are not from a defective body (again his were impact injuries) then that bodes well, and also that they happened young, did not rush a return, really took his time, and maybe even came back stronger. Gave a year to get used to being in the league, trained with the best sports medicine docs in the world, and, if it holds, he was a hands down #1 pick that basically just fell into our laps. Incredible pick up.

Yup.

Keep in mind he is only 20! years old. 4 years younger than Willie. Imagine Giles in 4 years. Not a bad draft pick if I do say so myself. It really was/is all about the injuries (impact, not mechanical) with him. They sound bad but if they are not from a defective body (again his were impact injuries) then that bodes well, and also that they happened young, did not rush a return, really took his time, and maybe even came back stronger. Gave a year to get used to being in the league, trained with the best sports medicine docs in the world, and, if it holds, he was a hands down #1 pick that basically just fell into our laps. Incredible pick up.
Do you need a tissue? :p

Do you need a tissue? :p
Please... thank you. :):)

(no crying emoji when you absolutely need it... this is a travesty)

In all seriousness this move is starting to look like pure genius. We count his pick as part of the Cousins trade, in some calculations, yes? So that's Buddy, Bogi, and Giles, kind of... yeah I'd do that trade again.

Vlade needs to start getting some major credit pretty soon. Let's get through November first, but in a few weeks I expect to start hearing some serious buzz.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I figured that would be the response haha. He gets manhandled by actual big men so far tho and he showcased perimeter skills in his dleague stint. It wil be interesting to see if he fills out some or if he is just built like he is.
I think Bagley has a better chance at playing the three than Giles does. He's more athletic and probably more capable of guarding the quicker three's in the NBA. Need's to become a consistent jump shooter and improve his handles a bit more.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yup.

To be a good to great player at any sport your actions and reactions have to be instinctive. You can't be thinking about what your doing out there. You just do.. I think Giles is slowly working his way back to being instinctive. It just takes time to shake off the rust and get your timing back. I don't think he's consciously thinking about his injury, but it may be subconsciously affecting his movements at times. I've come back from injuries, and while you brain says to do something, another part of your brain says I don't think so.

Eventually it will pass, and it won't affect your play. The more he plays through contact, the sooner it will happen. Of late I think his movements have looked more fluid and natural. And I think your right, the Kings may have gotten themselves a winner for very little.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
To be a good to great player at any sport your actions and reactions have to be instinctive. You can't be thinking about what your doing out there. You just do.. I think Giles is slowly working his way back to being instinctive. It just takes time to shake off the rust and get your timing back. I don't think he's consciously thinking about his injury, but it may be subconsciously affecting his movements at times. I've come back from injuries, and while you brain says to do something, another part of your brain says I don't think so.

Eventually it will pass, and it won't affect your play. The more he plays through contact, the sooner it will happen. Of late I think his movements have looked more fluid and natural. And I think your right, the Kings may have gotten themselves a winner for very little.
I think last night was the most athletic we've seen Harry since high school, he was jumping for put backs, sprinting around the court on defense, and then displaying some of that ridiculous lateral quickness from his junior season mixtape on that highlight drive to the rim.

He just needs to take enough in-game contact to realize that he isn't going to suffer a debilitating freak injury every time he plays basketball.

Please... thank you. :):)

(no crying emoji when you absolutely need it... this is a travesty)

In all seriousness this move is starting to look like pure genius. We count his pick as part of the Cousins trade, in some calculations, yes? So that's Buddy, Bogi, and Giles, kind of... yeah I'd do that trade again.

Vlade needs to start getting some major credit pretty soon. Let's get through November first, but in a few weeks I expect to start hearing some serious buzz.
We had Bogi's rights when Cuz was still here.

Ah... thanks. Guess that extra piece was the Jackson and Giles that we traded down for if I recall correctly now. Still... I'd do that trade again.
for reference:

Pelicans receive:

DeMarcus Cousins

Omri Casspi

Kings receive:

Buddy Hield

Tyreke Evans

Langston Galloway

2017 1st round pick (Justin Jackson and Harry Giles)

2017 2nd round pick (Frank Mason III)

So in sum its Buddy, JJ, Giles, Mason

for reference:

Pelicans receive:

DeMarcus Cousins

Omri Casspi

Kings receive:

Buddy Hield

Tyreke Evans

Langston Galloway

2017 1st round pick (Justin Jackson and Harry Giles)

2017 2nd round pick (Frank Mason III)

So in sum its Buddy, JJ, Giles, Mason
Awesome thanks for doing that. There were too many moving parts for me to pay attention at the time, haha. And yeah, I'd do that trade again today. Mason's value could turn out to be pretty good. Looks to be a legit NBA backup point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.