The Harry Giles option conundrum

Giles is one of my favorites on the team. I like his apparent BBIQ, his willingness to do the little things that help a team, his evident love of the game of basketball and all its intricacies. I don't think he will ever become a franchise player, but he does a lot of the dirty work and has passing abilities to boot.

It is really unfortunate that we didn't give him the QO. He's likely gone. Even if we didn't want to keep him, I think he would have been a tradeable asset, even as a piece in a deal centered around someone else. Bad asset management.

It makes me wonder if Vlade was fearing the same situation as with Papa G, where they gave him the QO and then cut him shortly after. If that is the case, then I think that was an unwise, reactionary decision.

Yea, so... this is becoming borderline comical with how strange this situation is.

He gets on the court last night, puts up some good numbers, has a couple mental lapses on D and immediately gets pulled. He wasn't even in any foul trouble, and the game was more or less a wire to wire blowout. Thank god he got benched to save the team from further embarrassment...I guess? Maybe?

Meanwhile, Erik Mika played more minutes than him and ended the game with 5 fouls. I don't have a problem with Mika, he was just fine, but he's more than likely not part of the future.

Its absurd that Harry can't get more than 16 minutes when three of our big men are injured and the game is out of reach.

His knees haven't exploded yet, we know that much. He's just not getting enough run. It feels like the Kings are reluctant to play him and are just being forced to do it.

It's painfully awkward and hopefully we find out in the end what the heck is going on.

Yea, so... this is becoming borderline comical with how strange this situation is.

He gets on the court last night, puts up some good numbers, has a couple mental lapses on D and immediately gets pulled. He wasn't even in any foul trouble, and the game was more or less a wire to wire blowout. Thank god he got benched to save the team from further embarrassment...I guess? Maybe?

Meanwhile, Erik Mika played more minutes than him and ended the game with 5 fouls. I don't have a problem with Mika, he was just fine, but he's more than likely not part of the future.

Its absurd that Harry can't get more than 16 minutes when three of our big men are injured and the game is out of reach.
Mika is more part of the future than Giles at this point

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

His knees haven't exploded yet, we know that much. He's just not getting enough run. It feels like the Kings are reluctant to play him and are just being forced to do it.

It's painfully awkward and hopefully we find out in the end what the heck is going on.
we will find out what is going on when he isn't with this franchise any longer. either that or the Kings will spin this in a way to make the media and fans believe what they want instead of shedding truth to the light.

we will find out what is going on when he isn't with this franchise any longer. either that or the Kings will spin this in a way to make the media and fans believe what they want instead of shedding truth to the light.
I can see Grant crapping all over him on the radio once he's gone. He'll probably call him lazy and say he was complaining about his knees when the training staff couldn't find anything wrong with them.

Does Giles even have trade value? His option was declined so he's potentially just a rental for whoever picks him up.

He won't be here next year anyway, especially if he keeps putting up big numbers in limited minutes like last game.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Does Giles even have trade value? His option was declined so he's potentially just a rental for whoever picks him up.

He won't be here next year anyway, especially if he keeps putting up big numbers in limited minutes like last game.
Don’t fret, Dedmon and Holmes will be back soon and the. Mika is here to take whatever garbage minutes may be left around for him.

last straw shouldn’t be Bagley he’s not a game changer like that
Not Bagley, Giles. If he goes off to another team and prospers as a starter, it will solidify my fear that the kings management can't evaluate talent. He's a talented young kid barely getting mins on a lottery team. If he struggles elsewhere, i'll forgive

He has none trade value. Any team who wants him will just wait till the off-season and outbid the Kings. If a team traded for him now, they'd be stuck with the same 4 mil cap we currently are.

He has none trade value. Any team who wants him will just wait till the off-season and outbid the Kings. If a team traded for him now, they'd be stuck with the same 4 mil cap we currently are.
Perhaps that team doesn’t care. Perhaps they just want another piece to help in a playoff run and believe he can help in some way.

IDK if teams are really placing calls to the KINGS about him. But if they truly are, then he surely has some value. Otherwise the phone wouldn’t ring and they’d do exactly what you suggested. However, next season doesn’t help them this season.

Perhaps that team doesn’t care. Perhaps they just want another piece to help in a playoff run and believe he can help in some way.

IDK if teams are really placing calls to the KINGS about him. But if they truly are, then he surely has some value. Otherwise the phone wouldn’t ring and they’d do exactly what you suggested. However, next season doesn’t help them this season.
I guess, but how does Harry help you this season? He's someone I'd be looking to offer like 3/18 and potentially get awesome value at the end of his contract. But he's not helping any contenders this year.

Sucks we have to consider it, but if someone tosses you a real 2nd for him, you have to do it.

Vlade (or the FO, if you must) put us in this position by being cheap. Or possibly by knowing something that they're keeping quiet. But that's looking to be more and more like BS, as Harry doesn't show any signs of on-going and chronic knee problems.
In any case, we either trade him for what we can get, or we keep him and hope to sign him as a FA for one year. Trading him is not going to get us much. Pretty soon we're going to find teams offering us 2nd round picks that we already own! Hoping to sign Harry for one year for less than what other teams can offer him is risky and may result in watching him walk for nothing in return. Well, that's the situation the FO has put us in. I say we give Harry a chance to contribute for the remainder of the year. Maybe 18-20 min/game on a lottery team is warranted? Then we HOPE to sign him for one year, which we hope will be his breakout year.

I hate they didnt pick up the option. It was just plain stupid.

But here we are. There are 2 ways I see him being back next year.

1. The kings offer is the best one he recieves.

2. He gets better offers, but decides to bet on himself and still takes the kings offer.

Why does he choose option 2? If he stays with the kings he keeps his bird rights. He can play next year on a 1 year deal and prove he's worth a big contract. Basically the 2021 contract would need to be more than the difference of 2020.

Lets say he gets offered a 3 year 18 mil contract. A 6 mil average. If he takes the kings 1 year deal the next contract would need to be a minimum 2 years 7 mil to make up the difference.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Unless there really is an element of “We’re simply not playing you to hide you from other teams, we’ll make it worth your while” / wink-handshake agreement why would he even resign here? Is there even a remote chance that’s true? I don’t think it is. I’m pretty sure he’s as good as gone because whatever happened the relationship soured.

I would be surprised if he was here next season. If the team was interested in him they would have extended him. If they wanted to prioritise his development he would get more minutes. They didn't play him in summer league or take him to India in preseason. He has had opportunity recently with injuries but, for the most part, coach doesn't seem that keen.

It's possible that there were injuries that prevented him from playing summer league/ preseason/ early season but the Kings did not communicate it well - as per MBIII and Holmes' recent injuries until twitter. It's also possible he hasn't behaved/committed as the team wished - or he hasn't followed the development arc they wanted. That's not for me to know I guess.

He might have a value as an expiring contract. In addition to that, he might contribute from the bench in case of injuries. Right now, he could get minutes with the Rockets.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He might have a value as an expiring contract. In addition to that, he might contribute from the bench in case of injuries. Right now, he could get minutes with the Rockets.
Not sure what value you can assign to an expiring contract worth a little over $2.5 million.

Hmm. Minor asset or taking the "minor" risk that we can sign him to a 1-yr deal next summer? I'll take the minor risk. Even though he'll probably walk, we've already got half of the league's 2nd round picks...
Those minor assets add up. For example we used two to get off the Dedmon contract. You could always ask for 2nd's out farther away like 24 or 25.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you on how we took the 60th pick in the draft and got IT in the past?

He's gone.