Harrison Barnes is opting out

This really helps us cap wise, cuz he ain’t getting 25 million a year. Now we can either bring him back (there’s interest on both sides) or chase the Tobias’ of the world and Al Horford who has also just declined his option

WOW.

Really surprised he's opting out. I figured if he declined the option, it'd be to just restructure with us right away for a long-term deal. Doesn't seem like that promise of a restructure is on the table right now though.

What a risk, he's not going to come close to the 25 mil AAV this season.

I haven't been on here in a while but after seeing the news...well damn!

Did we trade away Justin Jackson for an expensive rental that we just lost?

I'm not like crying over J Jax or anything but I didn't think Barnes would opt out. Maybe we re-sign him. At what cost? I don't know but certainly wouldn't be open to paying him close to what he made last year.

OK, this is definitely a surprise. And a good one as far as I'm concerned. I'm lukewarm on Barnes to be honest, I am more than happy to sign him to a longer deal at a more reasonable price. But I'm also fine with letting him walk. It's crucial we don't overpay here. There are enough good free agents out there to plug the hole sufficiently if he doesn't return.

This could also allow us to make a play for two biggish FAs. Very interesting to see how this will play out.

The Kings are in a tough spot though because if they let him walk, you might as well start busting that space on some picks because any shot at the playoffs is probably a distant memory. Barnes is one of the better SF's and he clearly fit the team like a glove. I'm not sure even Harris fits as well, in fact, I'm sure he doesn't. Adding Harris to Barnes is one thing, replacing one with the other is jogging in place. In looking at the teams that scare me a little you have the Clippers. The Clippers are a team going for it now that might be left with not a whole lot of options once their big hopes in FA fade. They could make it very difficult if they have any interest in Barnes. Other than that I don't see many other teams that either need him or where he'd fit. They'd be spending money just to spend it at that point.

This really helps us cap wise, cuz he ain’t getting 25 million a year. Now we can either bring him back (there’s interest on both sides) or chase the Tobias’ of the world and Al Horford who has also just declined his option
I thought Horford and Celtics are in the same boat as us, Horford wants a longer term contract on a team friendly basis with Boston, so Step one Decline option, Step two negotiate with your team in FA starting on june 30 6 pm.

I hope Kings - Barnes and Boston - Horford all come to terms so that all parties are Happy with new contracts , both teams have more flexability in FA going forward

I've seen a couple different twitter feeds suggesting Barnes to GSW would make sense. I'm not good with contracts or any of that stuff, but if he's looking for a longer term deal, I don't know if the Warriors want to pay whatever he's going to ask for when they're probably trying to retain their current guys.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I've seen a couple different twitter feeds suggesting Barnes to GSW would make sense. I'm not good with contracts or any of that stuff, but if he's looking for a longer term deal, I don't know if the Warriors want to pay whatever he's going to ask for when they're probably trying to retain their current guys.
I don’t think the Warriors can pay anyone over the MLE once they sign Klay... that’s if my low-level sleuthing and understanding of salary cap numbers is accurate.

Anything over 15-17 Million per year is way too much for Barnes. I'd offer him 5 years/78 Million. If he takes it great, if he doesn't let him walk. Not worth paying 20+ million a year for a 4th option. Very solid player but also doesnt really do anything to shape the identity of your team or help you win.

Why would GSW make any sense at all? They do not have cap space other than exception offers, I dont see how they offer 15-20mil long term

I hope this is Barnes agent sending signal to Vlade to get busy negociating a lt deal now before other teams start with the offers

Vlade, get in there and make a fair lt offer, I assume it is not tampering to talk to your own player before he opts out on the 29th

Hoping he gets a verbal agreement before 6/29 so we can plan on other FA offers

This is embarrassing for his agent, how does he justify turning down that type of money when he can collect and get a long term deal next year. Either way I’m looking else where for our SF

Bringing Barnes back on a $17-18M contract would see that room shrink between $28M to $43M.
Bobby Marks added,

Bobby MarksVerified account @BobbyMarks42
Harrison Barnes has a $32.7M hold against the cap in Sacramento. If Barnes signs with a new team, Sacramento could have up to $60M in room (factors in no $14.1M Willie-Cauley-Stein hold).
12:19 PM - 18 Jun 2019

I am guessing the 43 mil cap number with Willie gone

Make an offer now Vlade!