[Grades] Grades v. Thunder 1/4/2016

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Yes yes, Durant was out.

But so was our own 3pt shooter, and he makes Durant look like a scrub from distance.

And I dare anymore to step forward and say they called us losing to the Sixers and beating the Thunder this week. If anyone does, all I have to say is: Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

Games like this are BTW why you don't throw your hands up and blow this up everytime there's another bump. All season long this team has shown the ability to play with almost anyone. That's pretty rare, and always worth seeing if it comes together.

Boxscore

Stats: 34min 16pts (5-13, 1-2, 5-6) 5reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: you know what? STILL not a good game, and made enough mental mistakes that he did not appear dialed in. Still scuffling.

Gay ( D+ ) -- mistake filled game that began with an argument with Boogie, and fortunately did not end with an ill timed technical late in the game as we tried to pull it out. Missed an attempt at a big follow dunk early. Added a badly bricked FT. Almost fumbled another score and was off to another slow offensive start with something like 6pts headed toward half. There were scattered good plays. He came up with a tough board and finish + in there. But mostly, mistakes. Blew an open dunk on the break with 3min to go in the 3rd. Just let the ball slip right out of his hands, Got hit in his face with 4:10 to go on an uncalled offensive foul from Adams, got called for the foul himself Bibby style, but then did the dumb and got a tech arguing it to help the Thunder get a 3pt play to make it 8. Fortunately Rondo pushed it and found him for another score +1 a minute later to wash the taste out, and he padded up an anemic 13pt night with a corner three in the final minute just to close the door on any silliness. Still dangerously close to an impediment out there right now and looks just out of it.

Stats:5min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary: lasted 5 minutes in place of Casspi, made one good defensive play on Ibaka, otherwise we suffered until he and Ben left.

Acy ( INC ) -- the summary says pretty much all there is to say. We started Quincy, which is never a good idea for wins/losses, things were going very badly for us and Ibaka was having a field day, and so Karl, deprived of all three of his midget ball options (Casspi out, Acy and Gay ineffective), went big instead, and it paid immediate dividends on the scoreboard.

Stats: 38min 33pts (11-27, 2-4, 9-10) 19reb 1ast 0stl 2blk 1TO
Summary: see picture above. Interior beasting on both sides. Adams' strength did expose need for a post turnaround though.

Cousins ( A- ) -- got off to a slow start to this one, and maybe not coincidentally so did we. Was avoiding Steven Adams, who is looking more like a giant crazed Kiwi biker every time we see him, by being too cute around the perimeter, and while making a real effort on defense, there seemed to be miscommunications and breakdowns. But out of the mid first quarter timeout suddenly Boogie came roaring to life and never looked back. It might have started with nothing more than a strong rebound to inspire him, but then it was a three, a huge dunk, a series of rim attacks where he did not get the initial shot to fall, but just snatched the miss and laid it in. All game long there was a split between minutes where Steven Adams was on the floor, where Adams size and strength (and in this game, ability to beat the living hell out of people without getting called -- if that's the way reffing is going, I want Steven Adams on the Kings ASAP) allowed him to contest everything and Cousins largely wasn't able to get turnaround post shots to go over him, and everybody else who got the full Boogie treatment. But even in the Adams minutes this was Boogie fully engaged on defense, the glass, and even with hecklers in the stands. Was getting his hands on tons of balls on defense and held his composure despite the lack of calls in a very rough game. So far I like January (32.5pts 14.0reb) a lot better than I did December (20.7pts 9.8reb). Per a Mr. Slim heads up BTW: Boogie is set to become the All Time leading Sacramento Kings rebounder today vs. Dallas.

Stats: 7min 3pts (1-2, 1-1, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: lasted only his first stint time, and when he left we were down 13. Replaced after half by the resurgent Belinelli.

McLemore ( INC ) -- like Acy, most of what can be said was already said in the summary. He opened the game rattling in a long straight on three, and then promptly reBened while we came out flat and looked in danger of being blown out with Morrow and Ibaka hurting us. Then Marco arrived to show us how its done, and that was it for Ben. It was later reported, after Marco got the second half start, that Ben was missing because of back stiffness or something, but I wonder.

Stats: 43min 13pts (5-11, 0-2, 3-8) 9reb 19ast 5stl 1blk 6TO
Summary: now this was the big impact Rondo game, teetering on wild for a half, but ending up another hohum near triple double with 19 assists.

Rondo ( ) --

placeholder...

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 34min 21pts (6-13, 2-5, 7-8) 2reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Belinelli ( B+ ) -- started a little ragged, but quickly heated up once again and played a major role in our taking control of the game in the first half. He hit shots on kicks from Cuz and Rondo, got whistles with his kick and flop game (which would of course pee me off if it was being done TOO us rather than for us) and ended up getting the second half start over Ben (it was later announced Ben had a stiff back or something, but...I wonder). His scoring slowed down thereafter, but he logged heavy minutes and was a threat out there to help keep oppnents off Boogie, and despite being the biggest board wuss on the team, he even stepped in front of Adams for a good one on the defensive glass.

Stats: 29min 8pts (3-5, 0-0, 2-2) 8reb 1ast 0stl 4blk 2TO
Koufos ( A ) -- deserves a real mention before the next game, because he played one of his best games of the year for us back there. His insertion in place of Acy early was a major turning point for us, and he and Cuz really controlled the backline as Kosta played a very stout defensive game, with 3 or 4 very impressive vertical stops on slashing Thunder players. Ibaka splashing in jumpers was a problem, but overall the Cousins/Koufos pairing felt very comfy this time, wiht the interior defense finally conclusively covered.

Stats: 30min 14pts (6-14, 1-3, 1-1) 0reb 4ast 0stl 0blk 3TO
Collison ( ) --

Stats: 15min 8pts (3-4, 0-0, 2-4) 3reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Cauley Stein ( ) --

Stats: 5min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Anderson ( INC ) -- just a couple of more short stints of absolutely pure defensive roleplayer work, not even looking at the hoop. But actually he's done it well the last few times, giving us exactly what we seem to have been looking for in steady stay out of the way fashion.

placeholder 2...

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Bricklayer

Demarcus is getting closer to his 28 PER start early in the season.. if he can get anywhere near that by the seasons end I would be ESTATIC

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Sean Cunningham ‏@SeanCunningham 2m2 minutes ago
DeMarcus Cousins became 8th player since 73-74 to record 7k pts, 4k rebs, 900 ast, 500 stl, 400 blk in 1st 6 NBA seasons.
Cousins only needs four rebounds to pass Chris Webber and move into first place all-time in rebounds in the Sacramento-era history of the team, and seventh place all-time in Kings/Royals franchise history.

Barring something catastrophic, he should also pass Lasalle Thompson for sixth place all-time, before season's end.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is one of the first games since I can remember that Cousins just shut up and played basketball. No arguing with the refs, no scuffles, no mean mugs, just went out and played and got back on defense every time. We need this every single game from him, let Karl do some talking for him, hell even Rondo was jawing with Steven Adams a bit tonight from what I recall.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently all it took for the Kings to start playing well was for me to skip watching a couple games. Maybe since I won't be able to watch tomorrow's game they'll actually make it 3 in a row.

After everything that has gone on the Kings are still only 1.5 games out of the 8th seed and only 2 games out of 7th.

Even though we can likely chalk up the Warriors game as a loss, a win against the Mavs could help get some momentum during a stretch with some winnable games.

One conclusion is absolutely clear after this game:

Every game that Casspi doesn't play, WCS feels a wild urge to slap his fingers to the board and getting himself hurt. Hence, we should either play both of them or none at all ;)

This is one of the first games since I can remember that Cousins just shut up and played basketball. No arguing with the refs, no scuffles, no mean mugs, just went out and played and got back on defense every time. We need this every single game from him, let Karl do some talking for him, hell even Rondo was jawing with Steven Adams a bit tonight from what I recall.
I dont even care if his shot is off or if hes not in rhythm, when he is engaged and focused on the game hes a top 10 player instead of talent. Hopefully 2016 is a clean slate.

Say what? No talk of trading Demarcus Cousins tonight? I wonder why lol. Btw Great game tonight! Let's see which kings team will show up against Dallas tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be tonight's kings team.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Say what? No talk of trading Demarcus Cousins tonight? I wonder why lol. Btw Great game tonight! Let's see which kings team will show up against Dallas tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be tonight's kings team.
If Cousins gets tossed from the game tomorrow everyone will magically forget some of the last few games and kick into that other gear that Boogie inspires.

If Cousins gets tossed from the game tomorrow everyone will magically forget some of the last few games and kick into that other gear that Boogie inspires.
You know why people will get pissed if he gets tossed tomorrow? Exactly because he's capable of playing like he has the last 2 games.

I don't expect these numbers obvjously, but I fully expect the level of hustle and focus he's shown in these 2 games. Just shutting up and playing basketball.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
cruzdude and bajaden doing their thing trying to define this game and figure out just how the Kings won by double figures. The Hulk was the centerpiece but we may have watched a team effort on both ends we just are not used to seeing. Bell is top notch now, the bench scored 50 and out rebounded a good team and Rudy still a mystery. Gonna rewatch tomorrow and learn more.
ScreenSaver-me:baja.jpg

Is it just me or has Koufos' game gone completely unnoticed?! I thought his contribution was fantastic off the bench!
That's the thing isn't it? Same with Marco. He's hitting his shots and all of a sudden looks pretty good. But a few games ago people were all like "Karl is evil small ball everyone plays worse under Karl!"

OK, Brick (and anyone else that would like to take a stab at it):

I'd be interested in hearing a non-conspiracy-theory explanation/conjecture as to why the Kings can play like this on the road and beat a Thunder team playing HARD when they can't even bother to go after loose balls or even attempt to defend at home against the Trailblazers and 76ers.

Because without conspiracy theories, I cannot fathom an explanation that even begins to make sense given this season.
(BTW- my conspiracy theory is simple - the players didn't want to win those games, and they did want to win the last 2. Simple as that)