Grades v. Rockets 03/03/10

After watching this game...

• My head hurts.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • My eyes hurt.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • My eyes hurt...until I gouged them out.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • mommy

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • I will never watch an NBA game again.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My faith in mankind has been shattered.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • My faith in God has been shattered.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just don't care anymore.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Leave me alone.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I want girls!

Votes: 43 54.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Fugly, fugly, fugly...but a win.

So just how ugly? Carl Landry, and to a minor extent Cisco were the only two players who could throw the ball in the ocean. Landry shot 7-13 in the game. The other 4 starters combined for... 15-57. Cisco shot 4-7 off the bench. The rest of the bench? 6-23. Fugly fugly. And the Rockets weren't much better. They shot 39% from the field. Kevin was 3-13. Aaron Brooks was 2-13 from 3pt land alone...and got called upon to take the attempted game tying three (which we left wide open). Fugly fugly fugly. Get this: so how rare is it to shoot 32% from the field as a team (not a misprint) and win the game? The last time this franchise did it was in 1963 when they were still playing in Cincinatti and were still called the Royals. And how did we pull it off? By getting lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of shots. Our 61 shots in the first half is as Sacramento-era record. With all the misses bouncing around we came up with 24 offensive rebounds, and despite all the fugly, only turned it over 8 times. Better memorize those numbers, because I suspect the NBA will need to erase all evidence of this gam...er...event if it ever hopes to see attendance rebound and secure a new TV contract.

Boxscore

Ok, sorry for the delay. I actually wasn't going to do girls as this was a win and I inserted that option mostly as a joke, but since as usual its popular, and since I am late here and need a quick and simple theme, girls it will be. Help to wash the ugly away. And I suppose a boy or two as a token for the other side.

Casspi ( B- ) -- was aggressive if a tad wild in his short minutes, and probbaly deserved more. Started off the game being guarded by Kevin, and apprpriately tried to use his size to go over him. But failed on the post move, and missed several scoops right at the hoop. In the 2nd tried to spin into the post and got blocked by Budinger. Missed a wild spinner, but then got fouled on the nice dumpoff form Reke. In the third tipped in a Beno miss, drove and was fouled. First FT hit every part of the rim, backboard, net, and probably scorers table before falling in. Finally got a spinning post move to go over Kevin. Lost the late minutes with Beno playing big minutes again, and Cisco playing well. Probably as close to being effective offensively as anybody but our "Big 2" (Landry and Cisco).

Kiele Sanchez

Landry ( A ) -- I may jsut shut the grades down after this one, because its all down hill from here on out. Was THE guy for us this game. As in, the only guy. As in, by the 3rd quarter any time Landry didn't get the ball on a posssession you were mad because you knew it was going to be a brick. Back in his old haunt, and just had an ear to ear grin about it. Most tough guys are grim, fierce types. Carl always looks like he's having a ball. Came out and immediately hit the jumper, then came up with an offensive tip. Great offensive board over two Rockets got the 2nd foul on Hayes. Anderson came in and Landry immediately exploded by him on the drive and big dunk. Went down the other side and came up with the block to key Reke out on the break. In the second had a good strong move through a double or triple and got to the line. Long jumper. Missed the tough turnaround in traffiic. Good offensive rebound in a big scrum. Tough physical spin move to get to the line on our final organized possession of the half. Great job getting back to break up the Rockets end of the half inbounds, knock it free on the 3/4 court pass, the whole play ending in Cisco's buzzer beating three, which turned out to be the winning margin BTW. In the 3rd snagged a good defensive board and got the 4th foul on Hayes, who was never a factor (not hat he is often a factor, but he is ther best post defender). Powered into Jeffries. Nice offensive board on a wild scramble. Quick layup on the dropoff from Udoka. Missed the side jumper. Quick post move going to the middle against Jeffries. In the final quarter a bad pass turnover up top started Kevin racing on the break. Got stiripepd in the post, but got it back to Reke for the jumper (his ONLY jumper). Grabbed a d-board to get to 10 for the first time for us. Nice defense on Brooks forcing a turnover. Then hit the little hook. Some defense on Scola as well. Missed the side jumper in the last mintue. Got the ball on the inbounds at the 5.5 sec mark with the 1 point lead, got intentionally fouled, and stepped up to knock down both clutch FTs with every reason to feel pressure and miss them. Put us up 3 with 4 seconds to go, and we survived as Brooks missed his 11th three pointer of the night. 22 and 10 actually aren't THAt dominant numbers. Very strong ones, but acheivable. But if you saw this game played you just could not miss how much Landry stood out, not only for the Kings, but just above just about everybody involved in htis suckfest. He was clearly the man, and so he gets "The Man's" grade.

Amber Lee Ettinger

Hawes ( C- ) -- was kind of hoping for a bounceback game after the weeniness in OKC, but no such luck. At least he grabbed some boards this time against Dopey and Sneezy and Doc. Slow start, along with everybody else, finally scored on an offensive follow after we missed about three attempts point blank. Came out grabbing boards as we hung tough. Slipped to the hoop and hit over the top by Evans. Some good defense on Jeffries -- of course Dr. Ruth could play some good defense on Jeffries. Got his second and final hoop. Terrible attempted feed inside -- no chance at all. Got beat by a really clever up and under by Scola after he thought he had him stopped. Got his shot blocked by Battier, got an offensive rebound, missed the follow. Missed an offensive follow, but finally hit the next. After the break started off the third falling for Keivn's upfake and fouling him. Blew a layin on the break set up nicely by Reke. Out clevered by Scola again. Back in late in the 4th, and grabbed a good d-board. Down the stretch drifted out and missed the corner three that I don't think Westphal was happy about, although whether he was more angry at Spencer for taking that shot at that time or Reke for passing it to him I could not tell. Tough grade. Grabbed 10 rebs...but of course there were a hell of a lot boards to be had in this one. Shot 2-10. Got pantsed by Scola a couple of times. It can't be a good grade. But he did do something out there we needed, so better than it could have been I guess.

Pilar Rubio

Udrih ( C+ ) -- big minutes and kept on firing until he was our second leading scorer/support piece...with 13pts. On 5-15 shooting. And tonight he felt dangerous. Nice off balance drive and hit, then stripped Kevin on defense. In the 2nd a nice spinning take. Missed a jumper. Finally made a little jumper to get us off of 34-34, where both teams had stalled out for a good chunk fo the 2nd quarter. In the 3rd missed the open jumper from Reke. Lost Kevin on a backcut. Missed the up and under jumper, but made a saavy play and tipped the rebound over to Dorsey for the big dunk. Three on the kick from Reke. Quick little pullup to give us the 2 for 1 at the end of the third. Some good defense on Brooks late. Missed a jumper with :45 seconds to go in the game. Got the o-reb on the Landry miss and smartly dribbled it out to run more clock. Okay, he shot 5-15. That was the bad. And that is bad. But he hustled, tried on defense, and made a number of saavy little plays in this one. So the grade is maybe not as low as you might think.

Freddie Prinze Jr. -- have I used him before? I forget. Does he still look like this? Is he even still considered hot? 10 years ago sure, but I don't even know what he's doing any more except making babies with Buffy. But I try ladies, really I do.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Evans ( F ) -- okay, um...OUCH! Just gotta laugh at these sometimes. I actually had extensive notes, but they are just chock full of miss, miss, another miss, another miss etc.., so I think rather than trying to construct a narrative out of that I am just going to go with a description of what happened. Basically it was this: started off the game, did his random try a three thing, and missed it, then tried to go at Battier. Got stopped once. Got by him a second time, but Battier caught him from behind and used his size to block it. Got by Battier once using a Spencer pick for a strong +1 finish as Battier again tried to block it. And Battier was pissed that he had missed it. And then...then it really got ugly. first it must be said -- Battier was magnificnet. Not only on Reke, on everybody. He was completely dominant in there defensively, racked up 5 blocks by halftime, and 7 for the game (4 of them on Reke) and did what nobody else has been able to this season -- just dominanted the matchup. Now the thing is, he cheated. What he did was gamble that Reke could not hit a jumper, and oh lord, could Reke not hit a jumper. Missed and missed and missed, and as Battier sank further and further off of him fell into that spiral where you absolutely have to shoot it and hit one to free the defense up, but if you do and keep on missing them you're kiling the offense. And with the big size advantage when Reke did drive into all that traffic, Battier got it again and again. Wasn't that he could actually stay in front of Reek when he was up on him. Was that he was way off of him, and then if reke did get by him he a) had help; and b) was jsut going nuts catching up to things and blocking those layups. So...that was the game. The fruistration mounted. After a while you could see reke really didn't want to shoot anymore and tried to run some fairly passive offense with little half drives and kicks to perimeter guys. Finally did hit a painfully prayer/guided jumepr late in the 4th, but when he came down adn tried to build on it the next possession, it was right back to the bricks. Somewhat cruelly Westphal still drew up a 1-4 flat for Reke to try to ice the game in the final seconds, but that missed too. Just...fugly. Now he did manage to set a few people up -- impressive when the team is shooting as poorly as we were. And he did do a ncie job helping on the glass -- a fact that I have noticed did not escape a number of popel keeping track of the 20-5-5 watch (he finsihed with 9pts 8rebs and 5ast). But overall, this was as bad as we have seen him play -- he just flat out got his butt kicked (picked a good night to do it in the ROY race however as both Jennings and Curry only managed 8 and 9pts themsleves and struggled). Now one of the beauties of Reke is that he was quite obviously very pissed about this and you have every expectation that he will be looking at film and trying to get geared up for the next Battier meeting -- befor ethis one, I think the guy who had done the best job on him this year was Sefalosha -- and you saw what happened this last game after Reke got it figured. So chalk this up to a learning experience. Got his butt handed to him for just about the first time in the NBA, but thankfully we won, so he doesn't have that hanging over him, and he is the sort of kid who responds to this kind of thing. Still doesn't save him from the F however -- his worst outing of the year, and it may be about as bad as w see him handled for his entire career.

Ewa Sonnet -- this one is just for Slim.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bench

Greene ( D ) -- checked in and immediately knocked down the baseline jumper. Who knew it would be the only one he hit all day? Went into the post against Budinger but it rolled off. In the 2nd missed a long jumper and was quickly replaced. Back in a few minutes, and again tried to take Budinger in the post, but Battier came over to block it. Forced up a jumper that airballed. Finally back for the final few possessions when we needed defense but not involved in play.

Robin Meade -- of CNN

Cisco ( B ) -- not much in the first half other than doing a good job chasing aroudn Kevin on defense, but the stepped up to hit a big dramatic three to close the first half scoring after Landry broke up the Rockets inbounds play meant to close the half. Landry kncoked the pass free, somebody...Udoka? scooped it up and got it ahead to Cisco, who had time to gatehr himself and drain the 35 footer which would prove to be our margin of victory. Played right through the 4th as basically the only guy on the team able to hit any shots other than Landry. Started the quarter with the jumper out of a play drawn up during the break, and got fouled. Missed the pullup. Then hit on a side curl. Wild pass trying to hit Landry who did not curl as expected. Missed a jumper. Almost became a goat as Aaron Brooks was his man on the Rockets play to try to tie it at the regulation buzzer, and he got picked by Anderson to set open a wide open look for Brook sthat is about as good as any you are going to get in that situation. Luckily Brooks was as off as everyone else involved in this fugliness, and the ball bricked + Kings win.

Shakira -- just some random chick nobody's ever hear of. As an aside, my respect for her went up exponentially after I saw a story about how she used her downtime between tours to sign up anonymously for a summer history class at UCLA for no bigger reason than that she likes to learn things.

May ( C+ ) -- solid position defense on Scola, missed a jumper, but then
hit the next. Somehow again got the ball for our final shot of a quarter, and missed the shot to close the first -- our end of quarter/half plays/execution just have to the the worst in the league. In the 2nd had a slap steal from Anderson. Had just a couple of minutes to start the 4th, and picked up an offensive foul trying to cut to the hoop. No offense, but like many/most of our guys, joined the fray tonight.

Channing Tatum -- sorry ladies, all of his less clothed shots were just unbearably cheesy.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Udoka ( C ) -- 2nd in for Greene in the second. Eventually hit a corner three. Got the open court steal, but bricked the long three. Missed another long three from the right side. Got on the o-glass after miss after miss, and missed follow after follow himself. Got one sent back in his face by Battier too. In the third went stumbling bumbling and eventually laid it in. Dropoff pass to Landry for the layup. Somehow ended up taking the final shot of the 3rd quarter, and missed it along the baseline of course. Have I mentioned our end of quarter stuff sucks? In the 4th finally hit another shot with a three from a Reke kick. Grabbed a strong d-board to start a break. Stripped Scola inside. Finished with a 3-12 night, which you would say is just entirely too many shots for Ime Udoka. But when you look at the numbers they tell a more interesting tale -- he grabbed 8 rebs, 5 of them offensive, and it was both that hustle banging around inside and that inability to finish anything that defined this outing. Kind of epitomized the night -- lot of effort, not much talent on display. I can't go too low though given the effort.

Soleil Moon Fyre -- remember Punky Brewster?

Temple ( INC ) -- Woohoo! A Temple sighting! And here I thought we might never even see him in uniform before he left town. And what a debut it was too -- he raced around, competed, dove for balls (well maybe), and thoroughly dominated the game for...the final 4 seconds of the first half. :p But it was brilliant let me tell you. I think we should sign him to the MLE before that exception is abolished during the next CBA. Get 'er done Geoff!

Lacey Chabert -- been meaning to add this girl to one of these lists for a year.

Dorsey ( B ) -- Did not even get in until after half, and I guess it was just one of those things where if you are having trouble scoring anyway, maybe its best not to put in the guy who's offensive range is 2 feet. But after fiinally getting in, played pretty well. I'm a bit nonplussed what the fuss is frankly, but he played his game, which involves being physical and trying to guard that rim, and that's always a beautiful thing. In and immediately had Beno tip him an offensive rebound which he finished with the dunk. Block on Kevin coming to the rim. Strong d-board. Got fouled, which is not necessarily a good thing for us given his FT proficiency, but split the pair. Fouled Scola. Kept an offensive board alive. In the 4th got beat by Scola once, but settled adn played pretty good defense on him therafter. At least better than anybody else had been doing, and of course should know all his moves. Got called for the illegal screen. Some tough defensive boards late. Did his thing. Had the one basket, it was a dunk. Had to shoot FTs when the Rockets fouled him. Got the 1 block on Kevin. And did solid work on the glass and on defense. There is nothing that special to it, but it is exactly what he brings to the table, and how he can be of value. Just played within himself.

Raquel Welch -- let's close with an oldie but a goodie

Last edited:
[yt=Big Dorsey Block]gYGT1Rb4Q5Y[/yt]

I always see Dorsey creeping up on help defense. This Kid is always looking to block on help d.

****EN LOVE IT!!!

Ugly win to say the least, but an important one.

Not only did we beat a pretty good team, but we won a dog fight. Good step for a young team. It's easier to win when everything is flowing and going you way. Winning ugly and on the road shows growth.

Also, props to Hawes. In the past we've seen him get frustrated and not contribute when his offense wasn't working. Tonight he joined our team in the brick fest, but grabbed 10 boards and played some D. Shows some nice growth by him as well.

S

sactownfan

see i dont mind soggy being lame on offense... the boards and defense need to be his focus...

i didn't watch the game but Scola had 18 boards??? Hawes was the biggest player on the court... 10 boards.... no blocks... i'll take it as an improvement over the last game... but 18 boards for Scola? what in the world?

hustle and heart people .... hustle and heart

I think this was a good example of The Rookie Wall for Tyreke. Second night of a back to back, on the road, and after 40 minutes and a tough defensive assignment last night, just didn't have the energy tonight. The shot was flat all game, he wasn't able to get to the rim very often, and when he did, had no elevation. He got robbed on the foul call at the end of the game, but he took a chance on the steal because he didn't want to try to stay in front of Brooks, so he reached. And you can't reach in the NBA without risking a foul. Would have been a good play if we had a foul to give ... we didn't.

I wonder what kind of game he's gonna have on Friday.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
see i dont mind soggy being lame on offense... the boards and defense need to be his focus...

i didn't watch the game but Scola had 18 boards??? Hawes was the biggest player on the court... 10 boards.... no blocks... i'll take it as an improvement over the last game... but 18 boards for Scola? what in the world?

Wouldn't Scola be more of Landry's responsibility than Hawes's because he was Carl's man?

Yeah, this isn't the game to talk about hustle and heart. Maybe you should watch before you criticize. Hawes was part of a huge team effort to outrebound the Rockets -- particularly on the offensive glass, on a night when we couldn't hit anything -- and the effort was there for him tonight. Scola got a lot of junk rebounds, plenty when Spencer wasn't even in the game.

He did, however, get blocked by Shane Battier. But everybody got blocked by Shane Battier tonight. Don't know what got into him in this one, but a career high seven blocks is pretty spectacular.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, this isn't the game to talk about hustle and heart. Maybe you should watch before you criticize. Hawes was part of a huge team effort to outrebound the Rockets -- particularly on the offensive glass, on a night when we couldn't hit anything -- and the effort was there for him tonight. Scola got a lot of junk rebounds, plenty when Spencer wasn't even in the game.

He did, however, get blocked by Shane Battier. But everybody got blocked by Shane Battier tonight. Don't know what got into him in this one, but a career high seven blocks is pretty spectacular.
May want to go check on Dikembe, he may have died and possessed Shane for the night.

I WAS GLAD JUST TO SEE A WIN !! At this point in the year any win is a good win. The way they won tonight is a confidence booster as well. They won with defense, a rare thing indeed. I really like Landry. He is looking like a steal! Tyreke had a tough night with Battier, but Battier is a very good defender and they had a good defensive plan to stop 'Reke. Yet the team was able to overcome that and win. Hawes has 10 rebounds. I'll take that, even if he didn't score much. Fugly win but we'll take it !!

S

sactownfan

well again i didn't see the game... but right away 10 boards is a hell of a lot better than the 3 Hawes grabbed the last game... but Scola was the big for Hou ? Landry isn't a 5 is he? did Hawes play tough? was he physical? i saw he only jacked 1 3pt shot tonight... so thats good...

i give Hawes a pass even tho there were rebounds to be had everywhere and he was the tallest player on the floor...

ITS AN IMPROVEMENT

S

sactownfan

OH and SUPERMAN... you should be able to talk about Heart and hustle every game... tonight even more so when clearly skill is not in the building...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
well again i didn't see the game... but right away 10 boards is a hell of a lot better than the 3 Hawes grabbed the last game... but Scola was the big for Hou ? Landry isn't a 5 is he? did Hawes play tough? was he physical? i saw he only jacked 1 3pt shot tonight... so thats good...

i give Hawes a pass even tho there were rebounds to be had everywhere and he was the tallest player on the floor...

ITS AN IMPROVEMENT

Scola's a four. And played most of the game. 40 Minutes.

Hawes, in comparison played 27 minutes.

OH and SUPERMAN... you should be able to talk about Heart and hustle every game... tonight even more so when clearly skill is not in the building...
Then let me clarify: This isn't the night to criticize anyone on the team for heart and hustle. The game was won with heart and hustle.

S

sactownfan

Scola's a four. And played most of the game. 40 Minutes.

Hawes, in comparison played 27 minutes.
I know hes a 4... but with no Yao and no more Landry i didn't know if he was playing the 5? seems like he would being the biggest rocket... but i guess Hayes played the 5... ouch... small Hou line up...

I give Hawes a pass... C-

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know hes a 4... but with no Yao and no more Landry i didn't know if he was playing the 5? seems like he would being the biggest rocket... but i guess Hayes played the 5... ouch... small Hou line up...

You just don't give up do you?

By that standard, Hawes could score 50 points, shoot the game winner, save a puppy, and cure AIDS and still only get a C from you.

ITS AN IMPROVEMENT
Landry was matched up with Scola most of the game, not Hawes, so Scola's output was not a referendum on Hawes' game. The three pointer he "jacked" up was wide open, and was a good look. It wasn't about giving him a pass. He showed up and did what he was supposed to do.

You just don't give up do you?

By that standard, Hawes could score 50 points, shoot the game winner, save a puppy, and cure AIDS and still only get a C from you.
If Hawes saved a puppy he would be criticized for not being tough enough to watch the puppy die...

In all fairness, Scola is a 30 year old vet, who averages 12 boards a game when he plays 35 minutes or more. He played over 40 tonight, so while the number looks high, it's not like letting a scrub rebounder take advantage of us.

Also, only 4 of those were offensive rebounds. Which is good, but was hardly exceptional considering there were 47 opportunities thanks to the Rockets shooting 39% from the field.

You can't really control who grabs defensive rebounds, so it's hard to criticize any player on the Kings for his pure volume of defensive boards. And considering we outrebounded the Rockets 57-50 total and 24-13 on the offensive glass, all the Kings deserve credit for good rebounding. Especially considering we were on the second game of a back-to-back on the road playing a fresh Houston team.

How can you give anyone a grade when you didn't even watch the game? :confused:

S

sactownfan

Then let me clarify: This isn't the night to criticize anyone on the team for heart and hustle. The game was won with heart and hustle.
ok... then agreed!!! we are on the same page with heart and hustle! lol!

kinda bummed Brock is down right now...
tonight would have been his Masterpiece!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.