Grades v. Lakers 04/13/10

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Thanks for playing folks.

Theme for this last time will be: Hope for the Future: Things to Look Forward to as a Kings Fan

Nocioni ( B- ) -- got one last start for us, and this one made sense given that he was going to be matched up with Artest's bump and grind game. Did a good job physically battling with Ron early. Turned the ball over -- mostly his own work, not Ron's -- but also scooped up 3 steals himself. Drained several threes on the night as we hung around. Did not get the start after half -- went to Omri instead -- but I don't think it was really for anything Noc himself did so much as just giving Omri an opportunity.
[yt= Reke]I1KBp5jzIL4[/yt]
Tyreke Evans -- first and foremost above all else you have to be thankful for the arrival of this kid. This changes everything. Fanbases, including ours, quite literally wait decades to draft this player, in part because once you have one it is another decade before you are ever in a position to get another one -- you start winning. For it to finally happen to the Kings, after 25 years of futility, is pretty amazing. It was hard to even beleive at first, expecially with the preseason not being telecast. But form the first time he blew up against Chris Paul, and then lit up Deron for 30+ in the first game after Kevin went down, you just knew. And what a gift -- the franchise's dark days are finally passing.

Landry ( C- ) -- quiet 10pt 4reb game to finish teh season and nearly lost his streak of double figure scoring games for us. Got a driving layup to go to start, but whether it just be last game letdown, or the remainig size/talent of an Odom/Pau/Artest trio along the frontline, was rarely heard from thereafter. Again invisible on the glass, but in this one was also consistently checked off the offensive glass, and so lost all those points on his offensive follows. When he tried to press the issue inside, got it pokled away and stripped. Missed his FTs again as well, as he never was as good in Sacramento from trhe line as he was HOuston -- no idea why. In any case, off to the summer still not 100% sold as Carl as starter as opposed to high scoring bencher, but suppose it may depend on who/what we are able to bring in beside him.
[yt=35 Pt Comeback]NF3hIkRjldU[/yt]
Heart -- and nearly...ok, not nearly, but important too for the future was the development of a team core with heart. Collapsing to 17 wins was one thing, but the complete lack fo heart and effort on display made it almost unwatchable. This crew was different. It had a young superstar to lead it, and a collective resiliency and refusal to concede that made them always watchable no matter how bad the record got. Its a critical trait going forward, and menas that not only do we have Reke, but that some of these other pieces are the type of guys you might like to have around in the future too once it comes time to go to war in the playoffs.

Thompson ( A- ) -- and here was our guy on the night, and in the first half in particular. Apparently did not get the notice about this being the last game of the season, taking it easy, or potential draft position to draft his replacement in there. Oh...er...maybe he did get the notice about that last one, and that explains it. In any case was hustling on the glass early, and stepping out to drain his jumopers smoothly. Now it should be noted that he was doing nothing to slow Pau at all -- Pau in fact got 28pts on 12-15 shooting. The uptick in other areas did not apply to defense. But he was dominating the glass and for a while at least playing within himself on offense. Got mugged by Pau from behind in what looked to be a cheap play, so maybe he was getting more under his skin than it appeared. Slowed a bit late in the game as he may have tired -- not only was he putting up big numbers, but Westphal was gain playing him big minutes --44 on the night. Got baorded over several times down the stretch as we jsut could nto secure d-boards that we needed. Still, 19 and 16 is a nice way to finish up the season for Jaosn. Now its just a question of what his role will be next year. Given how much more comfortable he seems to have become since Landry's arrival, and how solidly he has played in the last few weeks with Hawes out, it becomes increasingly easyt to see him as the first 4/5 off the bench, with the height to play both positions, and no pressure on him to do things whihc he cannot. But we will see.

One more top 10, and hopefully Top 5, Pick -- representing possibly the second most important asset this franchise has, we go into this summer with one more shot at the apple and with the real chance to draft another star. If it works out, we get the young core the same way Portland got Roy and Aldridge and the rest, and OKC got Durant and Westbrook etc. And with Reke growing more dominant this is probably the last time we will have a chnace to do this for a long time. So let's get it right, and go skipping to the bank with one of the most talented young teams in the league.

Note: this was the point at which I accidentally saved over my game notes, thus losing them. So these are vague and mostly from memory:

Udrh ( A- ) -- Played a strong final game, and like he has often this season, stepped it up when Tyreke was out, and ended up playing almost the entire game. Had no trouble at all getting to his spots against Fisher, which is no great challenge, but also kept it going against dashes of Brown (aftr Reke left) Vujacic and Farmar. I didn't notice him racking up 11 assists, but he was the general out there, and he had a few nifty ones, including a laser to Landry under the hoop in the first half that he threaded through three Lakers. Of course defense was another story as another swath of guys mysteriously had their best games in months against us, but that is something that will have to be addressed over the summer. What does the future hold for Beno? Not sure. But it was a hell of a bounceback year that went far beyond stats (which only improved marginally). I don't know if there is room for him next to Reke as Reke gets more dominant, do not know if we can afford the lack of defense as we try to get serious. But he earend his contract this year, and while I'm not sure you want to be paying $5mil for a backup PG behind your superstar if that's where he ends up, you would jsut have to have a lot of confidence in what he could do at that spot if that's where he ends up.

$20 million in cap room -- the NBA's salry cap rules are a mystery to many casual fans, but suffice it to say that by trading Kevin we abruptly freed up a huge swath of money for this summer. Enough even to throw a max contract at one of the big free agents. Combined with a high lottery pick, a young superstar, and a bunch of other young players, we have as many assets as any team in the league going into this summer. This thing doesn't have to take years to trun. It could turn in the next few months.

Evans ( INC ) -- well an interesting outing. First of all you could just feel how much more relaxed he was for this one. Started with a nice move and a little floater along the baseline, again displaying that rapidly evolving inbetween game. Missed a jumper, added a slashing drive. But as the defensive attenton shifted his way -- and the Lakers already had Shannon Brown, their best defensive perimeter guy (I don't want to hear anymore of this Kobe All Defensive team nonsense) on him -- Reke just settled back and started slicing up the defense with a series of dropoff passes off the attention he was drawing. Added a nice no look to Cisco on the break for the dunk. But may have been a little too loose, as maybe his focus was a little off and he picked up three early fouls on mostly hustle plays. Another funny thing about Reke this year is just how fast he figured out how to stay out of foul toruble. Tok Jason nearly two years. Took Reke maybe two months -- was a problem in November and pat of December, but abruptly he learned when not to chance the foul in order to stay in the game. Bad for the hustle, important to your star to stay out there. But this game he was just going for it. And perhaps reflecting our own focus for this game, when he picked up his third we just sat him for the entire 2nd quarter. All year long Westphal has been stubborn inthose situations and showed confidence in guys not to get their 4th, leaving them out there. But in this one, it was ok. Just have him watch until the second half. Came out in the 3rd roaring, slamming into Ron on the pwoer drive (and getting the worst of it) but fell back and finished over the top. Then another scoop finish. Then a third finish to get us within 1...and then abruptly his season ended. He thought he was fouled, said something to the ref, the ref T'd him up, and he said something else, and just like that he was gone. The second thing he said must have been colorful, because that was an extreemly quick hook, especially in Kobe'e house where a game does not go by where he doesn't scream at the refs. In any case...that was it for the season. A strong 16 minutes, but 16 minutes nonetheless. And again reflecting our focus in this game, Westhpal didn't shout, didn't challenge the ref. He just looked bemused and shook his head. We'd already accomplished what we needed to this year, now onto the offseaosn and building a winner.

Kevin Johnson -- and this isn't a political endorsement. I have no idea whether he is a good mayor or bad. This is about his effect on the arena effort. Because after all the years of stupid, incompetent, and sometimes outright hostile city leaders, Sacramento finally has one who gets it and who you know will do everything he can to save the Kings in Sacramento. Because without that new arena, all the rest of this good stuff becomes moot. Sacramento fans end up like Seattle fans watching Durant from afar and dreaming of what might have been. But Mayor Johnson gives hope that maybe this time it will be different, and after a ridiculous decade of bickering the arena will finally be built.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Cisco ( B+ ) -- Finished his season on a high note. Started with a dunk on the break from Reke in the second. Added a good post spin on the undersized Farmar early, and would work consistently in the post against the small Kobeless guardline all night. Bounced in a corner three in the second quarter.After Reke left I think played the whole rest of the way. Pinned Sasha inside for another post move in the 4th. Would have been nice if he had kept better connection with the men he was guarding on defense, but otherewise largely able to do what he wanted out there and consistently contribute across the board. Not sure if we ever saw the real Cisco this year, or if maybe the "real" Cisco is just a figment of or imaginations. But the guy who played the game tonight could be a valuable roleplayer on a good team in the future.

Paul Westphal -- And finally, a real coach. Apparently not even our first choice, brought in on the cheapest contract given to any coach in the NBA, and yet he made retreads look cool. Has his quirks, but also showed an ability to learn and adapt as the season went along -- halfway through the season he was on pace to use a historic number of different lineups out there and it was disrupting the players, who spoke to the media about it. Spencer ended up getting suspended for that, but Westphal did not get self righteous about it. Rather he appeared to address the concerns, change the way he was coaching, and the lineup carousel ended. And more importantly still, he developed a real comraderie with these guys, often looking on like a proud papa when things went well. Manufacturing a chest bump with Spencer to welcome him back and reintegrate him when things did not. Perfect? No. But the right man to get this team back on the right track? Sure looks like it. Easily the best we've had since Adelman, and bears a number of resmeblances to our all time winningest coach.

Greene ( C ) -- Eh...just an eh...game to close it for Donte. Not doing a good job on the glass against Walton and might even have gotten blocked by him. First basket on a good tip home of a reb. Hard drive crawled over. Never was able to get the outside shot going, and finished 0-3 from 3pt land. Now off to the summer, and if he can make a leap from this year to next like he did from last year to this, we could have ourself a real nifty piece for a long time. Stay dedicated young man!

Kayte -- hey, its easy to forget she's still around, but she is, and I will consider her a potential asset until the moment she leaves for greener pastures. But they have to find something better for her to do than shill for season ticket holder's -- she's a great basketball analyst, just wasted as a sideline/fluff reporter. How about her and Fat behind a desk talking bball at halftime? Something.

Casspi ( C- ) -- Not a great finish for Omri either. Missed a long three in the first half and despite a lot of hustle on the o-boards just not able to get things to fall from closer in. Got the start in the second half and seemed to somehow get in Ron's head. Or maybe Ron got in Ron's head. Who knows, a lot of strange stuff goes on in there. In any case drew an offensive foul onhim and helped him to get chippy, which seemed to spread, may have played some part in Reke getting tossed, got Jason mugged by Pau etc. Game got physical. Unfortunately Ori's game never got any better in repsonse. Finished up 2-11 fom the field, 4pts 7rebs 3TOs, and now a summer of work and acclimation hopefully ahead of him. And NT stuff, but that comes with the Euro territory.

The Brain Trust -- this may seem an odd thing for me to post, given that I have had issues with most of those guys pictured (makes you realize how tall ex-players like Geoff and Westphal are), and questioned the intelligence of nearly all of them at one time or the other. But right now that group seems more in tune with each other than they have been in years, and they've had a good year. Call this thankful for front office chemsitry (as opposed to places like Chicago where their coach and GM are engaging in fistfights). A house divided cannot stand, and right now we finally seem to be of one mind again. So tip of the cap -- now please don't screw it up.

P.S. Also....could we give Westphal a raise? He's having to buy off the rack there and I don't think he can afford dry cleaning.

Brockman ( B- ) -- well, a bit more life in this last one, but stil not a great finish for Brock. Got a layup out on the break. Couple of hustle boards. Knocked down a jumper, which would be a handy little tool for him to have, as long as he doesn't take it too far (you are shooting from 15-18 feet you aren't in there for the board).
[yt=]NfyU8exsDJY[/yt]
Hey, is a shill for STH's, but its still a nice little closing piece, and soemthing that just would not have worked for some years now. So the final thing to be hopeful about is that we finally have a team that you can start to feel the warm fuzzies about. This is the beginning. And if you want to go out there and buy some tickets that might help the cause too.

Last edited:
How pissed would have everyone been if Evans only needed 11 points to get 20-5-5 (pretend he didn't get it last night), and he was ejected after scoring 10 points tonight? Anarchy in the LA? :p

Ok, so I was at this game. First quarter Evans showed some great handles and quickness. Picked up some stupid fouls and sat the second quarter which frustrated me cause I just wanna see the kid play. Before the ejection he really turned on the superstar gear and was just toying with the lakers. That should have been an and one. And I really couldn't tell what he said to the ref. Maybe someone can clarify for me. The kid really and truly is special. You can feel his presence. Even the lakers fans were pretty impressed. He recieved lots of cheers when he was introduced and I don't know if it was from kings fans cause I barely saw ANY. Lots of oohs and ahhs from the crowd. They seemed very impressed. I just wish I could have seen more of him play. But at the same time at least I can say I was there to witness his first career ejection ;). Anyhoo, 20-5-5 is locked up, looks like they'll be at the worst a 3 team tie for 3rd(GS and Was can still win their last games) PW got his bonus, and it looks like ROY should be locked up. Cheers to a great kings summer!

I'm going to miss reading your grades. Thanks very much Brick. I can breath again and go back to cheering for Kings victories. I'm hoping Donte has another big leap in his development, Omri starts fresh and we score in the draft.

L

LWP777

How pissed would have everyone been if Evans only needed 11 points to get 20-5-5 (pretend he didn't get it last night), and he was ejected after scoring 10 points tonight? Anarchy in the LA? :p
He wouldn't have gotten himself ejected if he needed any more points. He's smarter than that.

K

Kingsguy881

Big props to the Bricksta for the grades thread. Only missed 1 all year ;)

Was it by design that Evans got tossed out of the game? Conspiracy theory here states that with Evans in the game Kings probably win this one, if they are trying. With no Evans they can scrap all they want and 95% chance of a lin. Just saying.

Of course Laker fans are cheering for Evans, they WANT him. I can totally see the Lakers trying to court him when his rookie contract comes due. I would resign him WAY before they even get their little snifters sliding up north. Bunch of MARKS if you ask me!

Was it by design that Evans got tossed out of the game? Conspiracy theory here states that with Evans in the game Kings probably win this one, if they are trying. With no Evans they can scrap all they want and 95% chance of a lin. Just saying.

I actually do think there was some design to it, Reke getting himself tossed. Not a big deal though, just smart basketball.

You could see him start to take over the game before he got tossed. They had absolutely no cover for him. I think he wanted to make a few statements before getting tossed, just to put a little fear in them for the future. To me, it was pretty clear that Tyreke was really about to take over the game. I mean did you see the non-calls on his last two drives? And he's still scoring them.

K

Kingsguy881

I actually do think there was some design to it, Reke getting himself tossed. Not a big deal though, just smart basketball.

You could see him start to take over the game before he got tossed. They had absolutely no cover for him. I think he wanted to make a few statements before getting tossed, just to put a little fear in them for the future. To me, it was pretty clear that Tyreke was really about to take over the game. I mean did you see the non-calls on his last two drives? And he's still scoring them.
This. The great defender Shannon Brown was getting abused and Tyreke knew he could score at will. I have never seen Tyreke act that way toward an official, he rarely if ever shows any kind of frustration at the officials. Might have been a statement from him, basically next year you punks are going to be giving me these free throws. Damnit!

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan

Lets not forget he was a cyborg who came back to the past to save the Kings , so theoretically he already knew that in the past when he was in the future the Kings won the game when he played. So when the Kings won the game they received the 9th pick in the draft, but in this universe, this present he decided to get himself tossed in order to preserve the future of the Kings

Thanks for all the grades threads, Brick.

TDOS has arrived. :(
Yeah as someone out of the area, I can't really tell you how nice it is to get a balanced and informed player by player breakdown each game since I don't get a chance to view that many. Particularly in rebuilding years. Its invaluable.

Indeed Brick! Thanks for giving us entertainment, especially when we needed it most in a few of the blowouts. And I couldnt agree more with what you said...this thing doesnt need to take years to turn around, the next 3 months will probably be the most critical months in franchise history. Petrie has to make pinpoint, exact moves to build around the young core we already have. And if he does, not only will we be a better team, it will drive the season ticket base up, change alot of the doom and gloom surrounding the arena issue, and will jumpstart this city once again, and bring back what we ultimately want and need here in Sacramento...ARCO THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!

Kayte -- hey, its easy to forget she's still around, but she is, and I will consider her a potential asset until the moment she leaves for greener pastures. But they have to find something better for her to do than shill for season ticket holder's -- she's a great basketball analyst, just wasted as a sideline/fluff reporter. How about her and Fat behind a desk talking bball at halftime? Something./QUOTE]

Those of us around Sacramento get to listen to her on the Pre, Half and Postgame. She does a solid job.:p