Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Right back into the slop.

So, whacha gonna do?

Girls.

Salmons ( F ) -- I'm planning on keeping most of these short and simple, and few could be shorter and simpler than this: John Salmons, F. Got his butt kicked by Gay in the early going and was off to the bench in foul trouble. In the early third took one of those dribble dribble dribble, throw up a contested jumper selfish shots that we need so desperately to exorcise. Picked up his 4th soon therafter and never returned. Has now failed his defensive test against basically every major SF he's faced in the first 6 games, raising the question of how much does he have left in the tank?

Lyndsy Fonseca -- how about a little Lyndsy to start? See? The loss wasn't really that bad was it.

Hickson ( B ) -- basically our only starter to play a good game, and even here if you looked behind the sticker you'd see some diciness. The good was that he was very energetic right from the start on both boards. And he had a few nice offensive moments, and really only took 1 or 2 bad shots on the night. The bad: well first he missed most of those shot, while he came up with a big pogo stick block he still shows no ability at all to clog that lane, and his rebounds were big athletic swooping things in space. Very impressive and welcome. But he really wasn't impeding the Grizz from whipping us on the glass again as they just played over and around our miniature lottery team sized starting frontline. But in any case, he brought the effort, and gave us a game. One of the very few tonight who could say that.

Emma Watson -- nice legs Hermoine. Please don't turn me into a toad for saying so.

Hayes ( C ) -- not effective out there and for the first time did not give us anything on the boards matched against the comparatively gigantic Marc Gasol (who is normally not a huge rebounder). Highlights were when he twice in the first half surprised Gasol with a pair of incredibly ugly lumbering old man rec league moves, the first of which looked like my brother's signature flip shot, and drawing the +1 foul on the bemused Gasol both times. Unfortunately there wasn't much else. I thik he may actually have ended up the first half with no rebounds at all and he got boarded over by Gay for the final tip follow to give he Grizz the lead going into half (yes believe it or not with 5 seconds to go in the first half we were somehow tied in this one despite playing fugly ball). Gasol was not dominant, but rolled to a 14pt 15reb night without much trouble. As one of his last acts before taking the rest of the night off was forced to chuck up a three when the clock was running out, and actually it did not look bad given he may never have shot one before, drawing iron and looking online.

Taylor Cole

Guy Doing A Bad Impersonation Of Marcus Thornton ( F ) -- okay, this grade is as obvious as it is mysterious. Its almost an incomplete. I would have to go look at the replay to try to figure out how much fo the time Tony Allen was on Thornton instead of Reke, but even Tony Allen isn't a magician that can just make a hyper aggressive 20ppg a night guard just go poof and disappear. But that's what happened here. Thornton hit one early three, and then it wasn't judt that he was bad, it was that he was gone. He didn't do anything anywhere on the court. There were no forced drives, no futile attempts at open court steals or anything. He was just gone. And there has got to be a story there, although I don't know what it is. Maybe he was sick. Maybe Westphal got into a fight with another of our players or something. Whatever it was, Marcus Thornton never showed up for this game. Reke was out there trying and flailing ineffectually. Thornton? Not on the court.

Manuela Arcuri

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Evans ( D ) -- well Tyreke at least showed up and you couldn't question the effort. Unfortunately you could pretty much question everything else, including prominently whether he believed the least bit in the offense. Spent the whole game just racing out on the attack as fast as he could so that he would never have to play in the halfcourt. When he was in the halfcourt attacked recklessly making boneheaded decisions lefft and right as he just flailed around out there. I'm morbidly curious really what this offense Westphal has installed is that it can cause such extreme reactions in such a short period of time. And why would he do that to himself given that the system last year had many of these same players averaging 101.5ppg and 21.6apg just last April? In any case there were a few little bursts where the rampant aggressiveness worked and he sent us on little runs with some spectacular drives. But more often it was wasted possessions and no rhythm wiht some fugly misadventures. He picked up offensive fouls, once he overpenetrated and threw his layup attempt off the bottom fo the backboard, another time he tried to throw an alley oop and missed about 3 feet to the left. Defensively he had bursts of havoc causing, again in an undisciplined way. And on the other hand early on he disrespeted Allen's offense to such a degree he almost turrned him into a scorer early. This truly was a pickup type effort. Not only looking like a guy not playing in a system, but a guy who didn't believe in whatever system there was and trying to avoid it at all costs.

Sila Sahin -- Turkish German soap star who pissed off the conservative Muslim community by posing in Germany's version of Playboy. To which I say, good for her. Its the little acts of defiance that ultimately win a cultural war.

Bench

Thompson ( B- ) -- first big off the bench in what was either a direct insult to Cousins or a response/anticipation to the Grizzlies whipping us with a pairing of Dante Cunningham and Sam Young, who stands 6'5". Aggressive in the early going as he came in and was guarded by the much smaller Young, but in classic Jason fashioon was not able to keep the aggression under control and picked up three offensive fouls during his minutes (although on the last one Thomas led him right inot it wiht a bad pass). Still not rebounding, and I don't get what has happened to him there. Started last spring actually.

Paula Patton

Fredette ( B ) -- interesting game in that he finaly got his long distance shooting back, but he really was much better off the ball than on. Started off the game struggling again on offense off the dribble, even missing open jumpers. And was getting roasted on the other side of the ball as he could not stay in front of Conley or Pargo at all. But then found a niche spotting up off the ball as guys started finding him out at the 3pt line, and he started raining them in. Better defensive effort in his second stint, and in the garbagetime worked pretty well with Thomas, with Thomas again being the main ballhandler, and added a couple of late fastbreak layups in the final few minutes to pad out the score. This is one of those things that's hard to grade because of the extensive garbaetime here. How much do you weight that vs. the minutes while the game was still on? But the Grizz had a lot of their starters in the game until late, and Jimmer is a rook, so good enough. For those interested, and not let's say partisan, Jimmer was still struggling trying to run the team, but helped out with his shooting and has a role there off the ball even if struggling with it.

Abbie Cornish

Cousins ( C ) -- when he finally got in (to considerable booing from the crowd) quickly got on the offensive glass, and started missing layups again. Gasol was shooting over him, not in the post, but simply as in big ugly guy faceup jumpers from 16-18ft. Don't know what to say here. Boogie was not exactly moping and made some plays out there, but obviously neither was he fired up, and that layup missing thing has just become a huge issue here early. Its long been one of my biggest concerns about his future development. Takes bad angles, off balance, not great touch. And as a big he has to finish those.

Daveigh Chase

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Outlaw ( B- ) -- looking awkward again in his first quarter stint but started the second with a finish finally and settled in and started using escape dribbles to set up little jumpers. Just before half got sent to the line with a chance to tie with 3 FTs when the refs called Gay for fouling him out there. But only hit 1 of 3 and left us 2 down. Made a great defensive play in the third breaking up a Grizzlies break with length, going up and deflecting the pass and then outletting it to Reke for the breakout the other way. Threatened to finish the game with zero rebounds, at 6'9" and despite playing some PF again, but finaly grabbed one in the garbagetime. He, Salmons, Cisco and Donte are the worst group of rebounding SFs in the game, and its not close. Just sad. I miss our 2nd in the league in rebounding team from last year already. Still Outlaw's best game. At least he hit his shots and used his length here and there on defense. I almost went B here given this is just Travis Outlaw. But the complete lack of rebounding bothers me.

Luscious Babe -- ladies...don't do this to yourself

Thomas ( A- ) -- in for his customary end of the half half minte, and again drove, and this time got the foul called. In late in the third with us struggling, and we quickly struggled worse as our miniature guards were ineffective on either end. But he stayed in for the the entire garbagetime of the 4th, and he at least looked good. As usual he was relentlessly on the attack. I have a hard time getting too enthused because he's kind of a brain dead little missle out there and only has the one gear. But as a change of pace and burst of energy for a lifeless team, his impact was tangible.

Greene ( INC ) -- and again in for the ifnal possesion fo the first half on defense. Funny how he played one good game, and then got forgotten about again. But he set his cause back this time, as he was reinserted back in to start the 4th and fell on his face. Came up with a nifty spinning move in the paint, but could not hit his threes and turned it over repeatedly with bad passes leading to his benching.

Garcia ( D+ ) -- in for the first time with us already down 21 in the late third, which again just feels insulting for the closest thing we have to a longtime career King. Did little to advance hsi cause as he missed all his threes and looked physically weak.

Last edited:
Prediction: Evans will score 20 points on 18 shots next game and everyone will call him the future of the franchise again.

Evans: A
He turned the ball over a lot, played selfishly, and took stupid shots again... but... remember, he got rookie of the year once. That's gotta be worth something.

Thornton: B+
Not a very good game, however, remember that one game we won where he made a lot of shots in the 4th quarter? Yup, that.

Cousins: A+
He has an awful attitude, is a cancer to the team, and didn't play very well tonight... however... he's the most talented player on our team. Probably coach's fault he's not the best player in the NBA right now.

Everyone else: F
This team sucks and the rookies make too many mistakes.

Prediction: Evans will score 20 points on 18 shots next game and everyone will call him the future of the franchise again.

He turned the ball over a lot, played selfishly, and took stupid shots again... but... remember, he got rookie of the year once. That's gotta be worth something.

Not a very good game, however, remember that one game we won where he made a lot of shots in the 4th quarter? Yup, that.

He has an awful attitude, is a cancer to the team, and didn't play very well tonight... however... he's the most talented player on our team. Probably coach's fault he's not the best player in the NBA right now.

I don't appreciate your post. You're making fun of our team.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

A crappy game and trolls. What a treat.

Guess you guys have never seen sarcasm? Sorry for hte attempt at some sarcastic humor... I guess I'll just join the ranks in talking about how bad our coach and players suck so I can fit in better.

I was only able to watch the 4th, and while Thomas and Jimmer were definitely some bright spots on offense, Westfail can't be serious about keeping them on the floor together at the same time...can he? There is absolutely no defense between those two. None of this makes sense...:confused:

I was only able to watch the 4th, and while Thomas and Jimmer were definitely some bright spots on offense, Westfail can't be serious about keeping them on the floor together at the same time...can he? There is absolutely no defense between those two. None of this makes sense...:confused:
yeah I was thinking the same thing. Playing TWO rookie point guards at the same time to try to make a comeback???? Come on Westpaul, we might as well pick up some high school coach from one of your local high schools! geez.

Fear not, for all is not lost. Jimmer's 17 points have put him just over 10 ppg on the season, ahead of Memphis' own Jeremy Pargo for 31st in the NBA in bench scoring!

Last edited:
this season will be a disaster, that will end in the team leaving sacramento. we are the worst team in the league. at least teams lacking in talent like Utah and Phoenix, play hard and stick together.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Guess you guys have never seen sarcasm? Sorry for hte attempt at some sarcastic humor... I guess I'll just join the ranks in talking about how bad our coach and players suck so I can fit in better.
I got it. Was wondering why everyone was doing the troll thing. But you may want to put in the /sarcasm at the end next time for those in a bad mood and not up for the humor attempt.

I got it. Was wondering why everyone was doing the troll thing. But you may want to put in the /sarcasm at the end next time for those in a bad mood and not up for the humor attempt.
I thought it was fairly obvious... guess not. Duly noted.

Let's give it a test spin...

The Ford Focus is a great vehicle. /sarcasm

Everyone catch that?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I just rented the Focus for a week. Thought it was a relatively nice car; not what I expected from Ford. Driver controls made sense, and it had a bit of giddy-up to it.
This is inspiring for a thread. How about worst 10 lemons of all time? You know, Gremlins, Pacers, all those kinds of cars that GGG seems to love. ;)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

gunks

Hall of Famer
this season will be a disaster, that will end in the team leaving sacramento. we are the worst team in the league. at least teams lacking in talent like Utah and Phoenix, play hard and stick together.
Nah, Westphail will get canned, which will result in improved play from everyone on the roster, Reke gets back to his ROY form, Cuz mellows out and becomes a double double machine, we scrap, we win, we make some noise as an up and coming team, Jimmer finds his groove and starts generating ROY buzz, the Maloofs fall deeper in debt and with no other options sell the team to Burkle, arena makes wonderful progress, Kobe & Bynum suffer season ending injuries just before the playoffs....

...Optimism!

The impression I got from this game is that Westphaul knows that he's getting fired because of the way that he handled the incident and now he's trying to get back at cousins. Seriously, the kings might as well have been playing without a coaching staff tonight.

Last edited:
Paul Westphal tried to pull a Phil Jackson out there. Oh look we're down 10, no worries no time out! Oh look down 15, no worries, no time out! Oh crap we're down 20, hmm ... time to worry. Time out! *Inserts Isaiah Thomas for Tyreke Evans* Ok problem solved now go win this game!

Post-game reaction after losing by 20 points: "We showed we can play when we want to. We just have to learn to come out strong and not turn the ball over. We were getting good shots, just missing them. They were hitting everything. Not much you can do"

The start of the 3rd quarter was really WTF. Our guys don't even look before making outlet passes. And don't let me go and count the number of layups we missed. Like I said in the thread about poor team construction, we need guys that can finish. Anyone see Rudy Gay dribble in the lane, take a hop and dunk it? That's what we need, not this BS big man floater ****

Paul Westphal tried to pull a Phil Jackson out there. Oh look we're down 10, no worries no time out! Oh look down 15, no worries, no time out! Oh crap we're down 20, hmm ... time to worry. Time out! *Inserts Isaiah Thomas for Tyreke Evans* Ok problem solved now go win this game!

Post-game reaction after losing by 20 points: "We showed we can play when we want to. We just have to learn to come out strong and not turn the ball over. We were getting good shots, just missing them. They were hitting everything. Not much you can do"

The start of the 3rd quarter was really WTF. Our guys don't even look before making outlet passes. And don't let me go and count the number of layups we missed. Like I said in the thread about poor team construction, we need guys that can finish. Anyone see Rudy Gay dribble in the lane, take a hop and dunk it? That's what we need, not this BS big man floater ****
That's just classic. He's about one step away from just saying, "We lost. It happens. So sue me".

That's just classic. He's about one step away from just saying, "We lost. It happens. So sue me".
And sometimes that really is the case. Sometimes you play the best you could ever play but you just lose because the other team is better or they somehow shoot 70% from the field despite the best D or something like that. It's just strange that somehow Westphal feels that way every game we lose.

And sometimes that really is the case. Sometimes you play the best you could ever play but you just lose because the other team is better or they somehow shoot 70% from the field despite the best D or something like that. It's just strange that somehow Westphal feels that way every game we lose.
Yeah it is like that sometimes but as a coach you're not supposed to say it. At least not when you're coaching a team that's lost about 75% of it's games over the last few years. It's not like a good team, where you can just say hey, we got beat by a better team tonight. The Kings have been getting beat by the better team in most games for years now, that's what makes it so absurd. It's like, duh, Westphal, we know the Kings got beat by a better team, we wanna know why nearly every team is better than the Kings and what you plan to do about it.