Grades v. Celtics 03/26/10

How many seasons until we finish with a better record than the Cs?

• Next season

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 2 seasons

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • 3 seasons

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 4 seasons

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 5 seasons

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Never

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
While this score is deceptive and this was a beatdown in everything but final score -- the Celtics allowed us to come back with a healthy dose of arrogance and scrubs worthy of those not terribly lamented old Pistons and Lakers teams -- I think I'll push off the planned Girls theme until the Cavs beat us down on Sunday, and in honor of Southie go with a theme of Slums instead.

Boxscore

McGuire ( B- ) -- got the surprise start and generally gave us a solid defensive roleplayer performance, grabbed some boards for us, and added a couple of strong drives. Started with a drive but could not get the layin to fall, tough drive and up and under to follow, then made a bad pass ahead on the break for the TO. Got crossed over by Rondo up top, but Rondo could not finish. Fouled on the cut to start the third, but missed the FTs. Grabbed some d-boards, although not all were contested, and swiped at a few balls on defense, although we were losing all the loose ball scrambles and couldn't come up with any of them. Finished his night with a nice take along the baseline and dunk. Perhaps more importaantly I think made things mildly challenging for Pierce, who ended up with pretty much average numbers, but no hughe impact. Nothing huge here to write home about, but solid enough as a roleplayer. Just a roleplayer lacking the stars to cover for his lack of offense.

South Boston -- in some ways Southie (South Boston) doesn't really belong on this list, as it is more of an very tough decaying Irish working class neighborhood than a true slum. But the working choices often consist of low paying manual labor, bartending at one of the numerous drinking establishments, or being a hood, and if you're an outsider the cold cheerless streets can be considerably hostile. More importantly it was my excuse to choose this theme tonight, so its in.

Landry ( A ) -- responded off the crappy game against one of the worst teams in history with a big game against...well, one of the most decrepit. But formerly at least an elite team. Was attacking from the beginning, and in the first half in particular was pretty much a one man gang out there for us. Was able to work pretty well against the Ghost of Garnett early, driving by him repeatedly for buckets or fouls (the ole KG lateral movement ain't what it was). Actually had more trouble aganst Big Baby until he (Baby) melted down, and was not able to cleanly establish post position vs. the Baby's bulk, moved outside, and missed a jumper. Returned in the second with the full arsenal working, hitting a series of long jumpers, and able to drive and get fouled when challenged. Powered through three Celtics for the baseline flip, got a dunk out on the break, and played good defense on a Wallace turnaround (Sheed having a bigger fork sticking out of his overrated and slightly flabby back nowadays than KG). But also began to get stripped on his drives and pick up turnovers, and after getting the ball back on the offensive glass at the halftime buzzer got it slapped away too. Finished the first half with 18 points in a solo effort -- no other King had more than 6 and we were down 20. Was swarmed and went silent in the early third as the Cletics poked away balls and used their length to deny entry passes. Finally broke back through with a FT and a mop up dunk as we began to make a shaky game of it . Started the 4th with the side pop to get it too 25. Called for a shaky offensive foul when Scalabrine ran under him on the post move. Hit another long jumper and was being forced to the perimeter -- got blocked again and again as he tried to take it inside. Returned the favor with a block of his own on KG at the 1:10 mark that set KG off into a dumb technical and personal foul. Carl hit the FTs, and then got fouled again in the last minute to close his night with 30pts -- one off his career high. Was efficient once again, shooting 10-16, going 10-12 from the line, and adding a respectable 8 rebounds.

West Philly -- lovely West Philly from my college days -- one summer I got stuck about 5 miles out from home doing an internship, the next train wasn't for hours, there were no cabs in that part of town, and I could not think of a isngle friend with a car who was in town who I would not be severely inconveniencing with a rescue call. So I said screw it, threw my bag across my shoulders, and decided to hike the 5 miles back through Northwest and West Philly (I cut through a big park as well for some relief) in my suit and tie. You would have to know West Philly to know just how stupid such manuever was, a lone clean cut white boy wearing and carrying $1000+ worth of clothing and accessories and carrying a nice bag that looked like it would carry a laptop (I did not have it as I recall) hiking through streets that frequently resemble downtown Beirut -- rubble piles for buildings and sprayed bullet holes everywhere. And every eye on you.

This is about how far I started out. The neighborhoods got far worse between this locale and home just to the right of the skyscrapers.:

Hawes ( INC ) -- in the early going picked in the open court by Pierce, couple of quick fouls inside, and picked up a technical arguing the issue. Never returned for the rest of the half, and while yeah, technicals are bad,. We were down 20 by halftime --- what we were doing instead wasn't working, might as well bring the kid back at some point and see if he can help. In the 3rd missed a jumper from Beno and then went down with...something on a scramble play and had to leave the court. Never returned. Not sure what the injury was -- seemed to be walking ok, wasn't holding anything or bleeding, so not sure. Did not get anythign accomplished in his short minutes, but they were short before he got hurt.

North Philly -- and as long as I am in the Philly region, might as well throw a shout out at North Philly, Tyreke's old neighborhood. West Philly is bad. North Philly is worse. Not sure I would have pulled that same hiking 5 miles through it stunt with North Philly. Not sure if I did if I would be here to type this today. Tough TOUGH region. There's a reason it produces so many great boxers -- you have to be a bad man just to survive it, and if you do, nothing and nobody is going to scare you.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Greene ( C+ ) -- despite modest numbers was one of three Kings to notch 40+ minutes on the night (Landry, Beno) as he played a nice solid roleplaying game playing defense and helping on the glass. Nice drive to start the game storming to the hoop of the dunk past the much smaller Allen. Stripped in the post the next time down, and then missed the long three. Was splitting his time on defense between rondo and Allen for the most part, with McGwire on Pierce. Got a goaltending call against him on a Rondo drive. Came up with another good drive himself. Was quiet offensively in the 2nd, and sat out a stretch of it as we tried out all the usual SF/SG suspects off the bench. Did get an o-reb of a Beno miss at the buzzer but could not convert it. Was quiet int he thrid, and struggled in the 4th, missing several jumpers and getting wild on his drives. Did get one to go, but was also blocked on several more, and an out of control baseline move led to a turnvoer. The 9 rebs helped his cause here, and while not sure about the 40 min game, he was stronger nad more competiive than anythig else we had going at those positions.

East St. Louis -- not so much a community as a violent decaying prison with some of the meanest streets in America. Nobody goes there. And anybody trapped inside dreams of nothing but making it out.

Udrih ( B ) -- one of those tale of two halves games, with Beno really struggling against Rondo in the first half, and then coming on stronger and stronger after the break. Strugged to bring it up cleanly against Rondo in the early going and picked up turnovers both on the pass and dribble. When eh did make a nice pass to Hawes on the break it still led to a Spencer TO. Ran into a steal on a Rondo pass on the perimeter, one of 5 steals credited to Beno in this game. I say credited because I suspect the stats were being kept by Beno's brother, Bartholomew Udrih -- beno did not get any 5 steals that I saw. Was still missing in the second, both isnide and out, but began to rack up the assists even as we were getting blown out. Got blocked inside at the halftime buzzer. Came out and missed the jumper to start the third then a bad pass up top led to a turnover off a scramble sequence. Notbal Beno's improved play theerafter almost exactly corresponded with a) the Celtics shutting it down; and b) our comeback. He was both that important, and quite possibly let out of the defensive jail by the C's arrogance. Split a pair of jumeprs, then made a good hustle play scrambling for a ball in the Celtics backcourt and picking it up for a layup. Missed the straight on three and left a layup hanging on the rim. Got completely and flagrantly mugged by Big Baby after he lost his temper Hit the techncial and foul shots. Began to get his calssic shots going, httting both a spin layup and using an up fake to free up for a little in the paint jumper. Up fake and little paint jumper. Tried to play aggresive defense in the early4th but mostly just racked up fouls and got overpowered by Daniels inside. Missed the quick pullup. Cut to the hoop and laid it in on a nice feed by JT. Knocked down the corner three from Udoka at the 3:00 mark to put a little pressure on the C's. Finished with a roided up statline that was more impressive than the actual game, but still easily the second best player for the Kings. Funny how Reke's injury has led to the scary revelation that our #2 and #3 players are unquestionably Carl Landry and Beno Udrih.

Kowloon Walled City -- I am going to stay mostly stateside for my slums, but just had to add in the famous former slum of Hong Kong -- Kowloon Walled City. Over 30,000 people, roughly equally split betwen Triad members, drug users, and prostitutes, were crowded into a crazy stack of teetering 10 story buildings on a 6.5 acre plot of land. Only a handful of water pipes reached the area, police were nonexistent, and artificial lighting was needed on the lower levels because sunlight could never pentrate down the 6 foot wide alleys. Its a former slum though, because Hong Kong wisely just bulldozed the whole thing under in the mid 90s and made it into a park.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bench

Thompson ( B- ) -- otherwise knowns as "the ben"ch", unless oyu are willing to count Sean May. In other words "THE bench"." In quickly for Hawes's foul trouble and decided to have one of those nights where he would show the big stiff how it was done -- managed to foul out in 20 minutes in this one. Came in missing shots, but wa active on the offensive glass and was scoring on putbacks or getting fouled. Threw in a couple fo strong post moves as well. Picked up his thrid foul on a phantom call against Big Baby before half, but was resummoned again in the 3rd when Spencer left with his injury, and had picked up #4 and #5 before the end of the quarter. Also added in a really bad pass to nobody, and I do mean nobody (mayeb it was meant for Doc Rivers?) for a turnover. Began the 4th with a little hook in the post, and then a good feed to a cutting Beno. Scored on a drive and got a offensive board, fouled and hit the FTs at the 4:10 mark. Fouled out moments later getting overexuberant trying to run though KG for a loose ball. Still in need of a shock collar, but was the 4th main contributor in this one.

South Bronx -- life treating you hard but you don't have the courage to end it? Have I got the neighborhood to do it for you. Go take a stroll through the South Bronx -- you'll either end up dead or you'll end up realizing that hey, my life ain't so bad compared to THAT and be cured. The bombed out buildings were used to nice creepy effect in the dated but still sporadically effective horror movie Wolfen.

Casspi ( D ) -- I hate to see what was a very promising rookie campaign be spoiled by this continuing ugly denouement. I don't even know what he has to correct anymore so many holes have opened up. Went out inthe first half and just aunble to get it done again. Tried to take a charge in the open court but got called for the foul. Missed the wild fading jumpshot in the corner. Began the 2nd quarter missing the offensive tip. Missed a ocuple of threes as well, and got picked in the open court by Rondo. Played no part in the late comeback. Grabbed a few rebs.

South Central L.A. -- its hard to express L.A. squalor in a pic. Its there all around you, and includes some of the most dangerous areas in the country, but the city is too new to have it expressed through crumbling buildings adn rotting industrial infrastructure.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Garcia ( INC ) -- probably should not have played in this one. Had some sort of flareup on the wrist problem and it very obviously was bothering him (nor is Cisco a player who will leave any doubt if anything is bothering him). Really had problems bringing up the ball against Nate who was much quicker, and rather than putting up the shot at the first quarter buzzer passed ahead to Casspi and so we did not get a shot off -- maybe did not want to threaten the wrist. In the 2nd quarter missed a jumper, did a good job defending a break, but even that was done one handed. Tried repeatedly to post Nate, but thats not nromally part of his game, we struggled to get it to him, and when we did the help defense got to him. Blocked inside, got it back, blocked inside again. Did not help at all, and did not return after half, leaving us with only the one remaining ballhandler in Beno.

Camden -- just across the river from Philly is lovely Camden NJ, which is kind of an entire city as ghetto, although some of the suburbs beyond it are nice.

Nocioni ( D ) -- came in during the second wiht another of his wild careless performances of late. Got overpowered in the post by Shelden, threw up a wild shot, got a layup on the break for his only score. Then drifted outside and started missing jumper after jumper. There ar reasons Donte coould just play ok and yet get 40+ minutes. None of the benhc guys proved realistic options.

Southside of Chicago -- the Southside has been a tough neighborhood for as long as there have been tough neighborhoods. You can find slum pictures of the place dating back into the early part of the 20th century.

May ( B ) -- The last of the contributors and whatever his merits or demerits provided a boost off the bench. Most of what he did was of course the long jumpers, but was also solid on the glass, had an o-reb and follow, and came up with not one, but two blocks in a single quarter, which might be a once in a career event for him. Got to hte line in the 4th, although also fell asleep on a backdoor cut by Pierce out of an in bounds play that made the Boston lead 8 again.

Detroit -- I dont know Detroit well enough to select its worst neighborhood, I just know its a real mess for them downtown, and I don't really know what is going to become of them with the industry that defined them in full flight.

Dorsey ( INC ) -- in at the very end of the half for one play of defense

West Oakland -- no garden spot either

Udoka ( C+ ) -- came in at the very end of the first half for defense. Wa back back for the end of the third to play a slightly bigger role. Fouled on the break. Ball fake and jumper on the baseline. Missed yet another corner three in the 4th. Did a good job grabbing caroms, as he and McGuire again were better than our frontcout guys at wading inside.

Last edited:
Well, I guess this is another "LIN" ??

The Kings could have folded their tent and gone down sinking. They made an effort, however much it was assisted by the apathy of the Celts. I liked to see the effort and the play of the young players. They got schooled, but in school you learn your lessons. Landry had a fantastic game no matter what the final score. Maybe his best scoring game of the year (30/8/2). No quit in Landry no matter what the situation. I really like Landry a lot and hope the Kings lock him up long term. He is a player.

Macguire got a good education tonight. 4 pts and 6 rebs and played real good on defense. All in all, it was a terrible first half and a educational second half. It was a good look at players on the Kings bench. Shawn May really looks not so bad. He LOOKS fat and out of shape, but he doesn't play like it. Donte Greene has a disturbingly bad game. Either he is trying too hard or he is regressing back to the bad Donte. Either way he has had a run of disturbingly bad games. Hawes was a DNP-PD (Did not really Play - Player's decision). Injury is just the latest thing on the bad year list for Hawes. And with a shortage of Bigs, you would think JT would have been SUPER DUPER CAREFUL to not get any cheapish fouls and avoid ANY foul trouble. Of Coarse He FOULED OUT!! . Really typical for Thompson. He is characterized by just these kind of stupendously stupid decisions. When he does things like this, it makes him appear to not be very Intelligent. I hope that Jason Thompson isn't TOO STUPID to play NBA Basketball. It is something to legitimately think about after watching him for 2 years. He has a Very Bad Temper and he makes unexplainable and idiotic decisions on the court. Hopefully more experience will get JT out of the habit of making the dumb plays that kill the Kings. Beno had a HORRENDOUS first half, and then he obviously heard the coach during his halftime speech because Beno played like his pants were on fire in the second half. But with the game close and the Kings down by ONLY 6, he dribbled the ball off his leg out of bounds with no one around him. No pressure on him at all! Not that the Kings had ANY chance of winning, but isn't that play kind of a metaphor for the Kings WHOLE season. Very close to being good enough to win, then they shoot themselves in the foot and fail at the end. I guess that is the sign of the YOUTH coming out of them. All in all, this game looked a lot like a LIN to me. :D

All the Kings can do now that they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs is go out and finish the season playing good basketball. Yes, the Celts were just toying with the Kings in the second half, but do you really think that Doc Rivers wanted to put his STARTERS back in because I don't. I think the Kings played a little better than Doc thought they would. Effort and improvement is what Westphal wants to see from this team now. Because the lack of effort (like the first half tonight & NJ Game) looks very bad and stands out glaringly. If the young players on this team are still motivated to TRY, that is a credit to the coach Paul Westphal. They are still listening to the coach and trying to play hard unlike last season under Theus and Natt. Good for the Kings young players. It shows that they have heart and are not lazy. They may lose the rest of their games this year, but they can lose TRYING hard and LEARNING a lot. If they keep trying and learning, they will inevitably start improving. Even Hawes will eventually get better as long as he keeps trying to improve and learning how to play Center in the NBA. It sure would help if he tried getting STRONGER, but I'm sure he has been told this. The team will be more experienced next season and hopefully they will have more talent from the draft, from free agency, or from trades. That should equate to a better team next year... or at least we hope it will. :eek:

Beno had a HORRENDOUS first half, and then he obviously heard the coach during his halftime speech because Beno played like his pants were on fire in the second half. But with the game close and the Kings down by ONLY 6, he dribbled the ball off his leg out of bounds with no one around him. No pressure on him at all! Not that the Kings had ANY chance of winning, but isn't that play kind of a metaphor for the Kings WHOLE season. Very close to being good enough to win, then they shoot themselves in the foot and fail at the end. I guess that is the sign of the YOUTH coming out of them. All in all, this game looked a lot like a LIN to me.
Typical of the professional basketball player point-guard Beno.

And only Beno, the good point guard in the NBA worthy to start can do this thing consistently through the years. Oh well, we are still a bad team. Anyone who plays mediocre basketball could look awesome in this team. So, upto this point I'll consider Beno as better than nothing.

Entity

Hall of Famer
he tried to justify this disgrace with the words like "we got it going in the 2nd half" and "lost to a great team" - yeah the celtics 2nd unit that is :eek:
I was hoping someone would talk about the second unit in an effort to put us down. Uhm did you happen to see who we had on the court at the time????? I mean no Tyreke to start with. Then our unit on the court during comeback. Beno, Udoka, Greene, Landry, and May. Thats 5 players that have been Bench players until the last 20 games. So you could say that is really a second unit itself.

Bricklayer

I was hoping someone would talk about the second unit in an effort to put us down. Uhm did you happen to see who we had on the court at the time????? I mean no Tyreke to start with. Then our unit on the court during comeback. Beno, Udoka, Greene, Landry, and May. Thats 5 players that have been Bench players until the last 20 games. So you could say that is really a second unit itself.

Which is nice, but the Cs themselves clearly just quit playing in this one. It really was no contest while they used their main guys, and those main guys considered it a game. Then they got fat, sloppy and arrogant, and almost mounted the comeback against themselves. Just is what it is.

Yeah I saw a lil too much Sheldon Williams for my liking last night, I wish Tyreke was healthy, it would of been a hell of a game if he was because Rondo was a lil too comfortable out there.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Tyreke shouldn't be just a ROY candidate; he should be a MVP candidate. Look what this team has become in his absence. If MVP truly stands for an player who makes the most impact in wins and losses on a team, he's got to be in the running. This team would probably have 30% fewer wins with his absence for the entire season.

Cut Westphal some slack for sugar coating the game. It serves no purpose for him to berate the effort to the media.
If you are looking for coaches off their rocker, then dig up some of Garry St Jean's old post game interviews. You wanted to throttle him for overuse of the word "heckofa". Yeah he gave Positive Mental Attitude a bad name.

West Philly -- lovely West Philly from my college days -- one summer I got stuck about 5 miles out from home doing an internship, the next train wasn't for hours, there were no cabs in that part of town, and I could not think of a isngle friend with a car who was in town who I would not be severely inconveniencing with a rescue call. So I said screw it, threw my bag across my shoulders, and decided to hike the 5 miles back through Northwest and West Philly (I cut through a big park as well for some relief) in my suit and tie. You would have to know West Philly to know just how stupid such manuever was, a lone clean cut white boy wearing and carrying $1000+ worth of clothing and accessories and carrying a nice bag that looked like it would carry a laptop (I did not have it as I recall) hiking through streets that frequently resemble downtown Beirut -- rubble piles for buildings and sprayed bullet holes everywhere. And every eye on you.

This is about how far I started out. The neighborhoods got far worse between this locale and home just to the right of the skyscrapers.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe0VCso0qs

Yep, West Philly. Try playing basketball there outside of your school and a couple of guys who are up to no good will start making trouble in your neighborhood. You get in one little fight, mom gets scared... and then they send you to Laker Land... (or Bel-Air.)

Sorry. Had to. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.