[Grades] Grades v. Blazers 12/26/2012

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Um...yeah...

After intermission, here will be your Girls. Merry bleeping XMas.

Boxscore

Stats: 29min 19pts (6-10, 3-4, 4-4) 2reb 4ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Salmons ( B+ ) -- well you know what they always say: save the best for first, right? John Salmons as your star. What does that even mean? Have we officially been designated a D-League team yet? In any case, John continued looking like a guy who might just be a decent supporting piece next to a REKE AND COUSINS (WHERE ARE THEY???) led 5-some. Got off to a pretty good start (the easy matchup vs. Victor Klaver helped considerably), hit a corner three, and despite the poorteam result, largely due to us not haivng NBA level talent out there defenisvely or on the glass, John was again part of a decent passing crew, which you have to be when you lack talent. Continued the strong play into the early 2nd with a steal and hit the other way. And made it a quarter by quarter tradition as he started the third again with a three. Things began to get scruffier though, as either he began to think about his own awesomenbess, or more likely he joined numerous of our little chuckers who all decided that they were going to save us 1 on 1, because obviously there is such a history fo success with that amongst them. In any case, he had several more scores in the third, including another three, but his efficiney began to drop as he started mixing in some pretty fugly forces instead of just taking what was given. Clearly best we had though.

Bérénice Marlohe -- to those of you calling for a Bond girls theme -- believe it or not I already did that once, albeit a couple of years ago. Good premade grouping of famously hot women. Who knows, maybe I shall again one day. In the meantime I'll just leave you with Bérénice from the latest, Skyfall.

Stats: 18min 4pts (2-9, 0-1, 0-0) 4reb 3ast 2stl 1blk 2TO
Johnson ( D ) -- Jerry Reynolds will of course tell you that James Johnson's best position is PF, because Jerry Reynolds will inevitably tell you that EVERYBODY's best position is one position larger than they should really be playing. Tonight was Exhibit A as to why I say Jerry Reynolds is a small ball loving perennial losing nimwit. Johnson, who has often looked very strong guarding SFs, got just CRUSHED out there by Aldridge. Just lit up. Shot over agian and again and again as Aldridge just ignored him. And that was the side of the ball for which we picked JJ up in the first place. Between that and being overpowered on the boards felt all the front court minutes for JJ and Outlaw really hurt us badly. Was just demoralizing to the troops to have our "frontline" guys get so overwhelemed inside play after play. Now the other way...well, it was adventuresome. Really mostly a mess with some flashes, but a lot like what he was doing at the start of the year that made him sucha miserable fit as a started next to stars of any kind. Way too much fo JJ. Pushing the break, getting to the hoop, but not finishing, with constant hints of widness and some dumb turnovers. He hit one jumper, but seems encouraged by being able to hit one every once4 in a while, and so took, and missed a bunch more. Missed three attemtps aroudn the hoop on one possession late in the first half. There were a few steals, a few assists, but there was simply way too much James Johnson to this one. While he was out theere it felt like the was the dominant player for us, which I think is why he struggles so much to be a role pplayer. he took the most shots, led the most breaks, he got it and always tried to do something with it. Some good. More bad. And just unpredictability made rhythm for everybody else difficult.

Rachel Skarsten

Stats: 25min 11pts (5-10, 0-0, 1-2) 6reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Thompson ( B- ) -- standard game now. Solid little half hook offense, in the early going. And again got into early foul trouble. His own fault though. Seemed slow to react on the glass as he was in there all alone and Aldridge/Hickson were pounding the boards on us. Jason seemed a step slow repeatedly and was pikcig up late reaction fouls. Only ended up playing something like 10 minutes in the first half due to the foul issues. Which of course spelled disaster for us as the Aldridge/Hickson duo just ruined the rest of what we were calling as frontcourt. Wasn't pretty, but struggled his way into some producitvity in the third with some little follows, sometimes of his own misses. His 50% shooting was about right as it was often throw up a little flip, miss it, go chase it, and lay it back in. Could see his defensive effort really pick up in the third as well, got a help block, a few good challenges on Aldridge after we finally quit trying tio guard him with SFs etc. But as it was on the glass, often seemed a step slow in rotations, or maybe it was just that everybody else was getting beaten so often and so quickly he wasn't having time to react.

Leslie Bibb

Stats: 22min 6pts (2-9, 2-6, 0-0) 3reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Thornton ( D- ) -- I actually briefly flirted with an F for this one. Just when you get down to it did basically nothing out there but hit those two threes in his statline. Missing contested jumpers to start, and then moved on to missing open gimmes. Hit one three late in the first, and one desperation three aginst the clock to start the 2nd. Otherwise undisciplined on both ends. Casually throwing up jumpers and missing them as if he didn't have any idea what to do on one end, and making mistakes on the other, turning Will Barton into a real NBA player through inattention, and once committing the ultimate defenisve error, fouling Batum on 3pt shot for a 4pt play (have my doubts if it was truly a foul however, so maybe he deserves exoneration on that one). In any case, showed no signs of life, and it was one of those games where you could see/feel it because he was laregly just chucking threes. Traditionally when MT is taking 2/3 of his shots form three, it means he's settling, and he's going to suck. Having long armed Nick Batum on him didn't help, but as mentioned, he was missing gimmes on good setups as well. For better or worse, smart gave up on him by the mid third. But truly there had been no signs.

Cassie

Stats: 20min 9pts (4-8, 1-3, 0-0) 0reb 5ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Brooks ( B- ) -- somehwat unnoticed, but Brooks played a solid game, and surprisingly, on both ends. Was passing pretty well early, and Lillard's big statline largely came against others -- he had him under wraps in the early going. Was using his quickness and getting to the rim effectively for ugly layups and drive and kicks howitzer three no chance. In the early third got his only three of the night on a kick from Salmons a play after his own drive and kick to John the other way. Not an impact game particularly, but his low minutes here had more to do with the out of control nature of our PG platoon and how badly out of control the game became than it did any real struggles by Brooks.

Gina Gershon

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 26min 4pts (1-2, 0-0, 2-2) 9reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Hayes ( C+ ) -- just ineffective in the first half. Not blocking out and rebounded over. Shot over by both Aldridge and Hickson -- got into Aldridge's body on some possessions, but not able to have any effect on the faceup jumpers. Offensive ineffectiveness and shortrneess very much in evidence on attempts indie. Came on after half for the solid looking staline. Never that much effect on the court, but stood out from our other non-JT "bigs" simply by bing able to stand his ground without being pushed all over the court.

Jennifer Lawrence -- as requested. Pretty girl? Absolutely. World's most desirable or whatever that recent poll was? Fanboys gotta get out more. Or at least read more Pretty Girls threads.

Stats: 28min 12pts (4-11, 2-5, 2-2) 1reb 6ast 1stl 0blk 2TO
Thomas ( C ) -- came in and immediately got the open little jumper in the open court from Salmons . Some quick moves for his own offense, but made a terrible dribble error in the open court changing his mind about shooting/passing, not getting called for the travel, then throwing a wild alley oop attempt for TRob that was off by a foot. Worse, Lillard began to get going against him after being throttled, or at least ineffective, in the early going -- just played right over him as expected. Best thing he did was hit a couple of threes after returning in the thrid, one late third, one early 4th, both in rhythm and created for him. But otherwise the assist numbers wer a bit deceptive. Play got increasingly selfish and 1 on 1 as the game went along -- when the pressure gets on, that's where his insincts take him, and so there were some ugly dribble around in circles and then force up a stupidly tough shot sequences late in this one.

Bella Dayne

Stats: 21min 6pts (3-7, 0-0, 0-2) 3reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Robinson ( D- ) -- has started to really struggle now. Rookie numbers bear an unsettling resemblance to those of Markieff Morris, the man who started over him until his final year in college. Fugly on both ends in his early minutes. Missing jumpers -- remains the shot he needs desperately -- and taking them out of rhythm/off his own dribble. In fact some of his problem may still be downshifting from being a #1 option in college. We have too many guys accustomed to shooitng every other possession. On one sequence ran inside and began a post wrestling match with Luke Babbitt. Picking up 2 fouls on him on one possession off the ball as Robinson struggled to get post position on him, and Babbitt surprisingly did not give an inch. So TRob finally does get the ball and what does he do? He fires up a heavily contested off balance no prayer jumper because he was wrokign hard and wanted to shoot as the reward. Next time down the floor he runs down and slams bodies with Babbitt on the other side of the key. Still not gainaing an advantage, and this time watching the ball swing ot the other side of the floor. End reuslt, a minute of huge energy expenditure for a grand total of one forced jumper. Looked depressed afterwards. As would I be if I couldn't post Lukle Babbitt. In college though would have gotten the ball each time, and would have won that strength test. Similar problems the other way. Repeatedly boarded right over by Hickson and Aldridge. Couldn't contain them, and was having major problems trying to muscle with them. Big issue right now. Ran out at a three point shooter...and didn't even raise his arm. Why? What's the point of even rotating then? Ended the game with a pointless windmill dunk in the final second for our final score that drew boos from the crowd. Get the feeling TRob is not happy with his coach, his role, and hopefully if he looks in the mirror, himself. Here's another name who TRob's early numbers are resembling: Anthony Bonner. Another lightweight college rebounding champ who we drafted.

Jaime Ray Newman -- think this one has some brainy sass as well

Stats: 20min 7pts (2-8, 0-2, 3-4) 2reb 2ast 2stl 0blk 2TO
Fredette ( C- ) -- ineffective first half stint. Not hitting his threes, where his percentages have started to head back toward his middling numbers from last year, and his little drive flips weren't falling. Was playing SG almost excusively, but with Wesley Matthews out the opponents were Victor Klaver and Will Barton, which weren't serious problems. Had his nightly crap shot with a pullup one on team three in transition in the 4th, but game picked up in those semi-garbagetime minutes. Set up a couple of people with passes, go a couple of scores around Price, and again showed some instincts for stepping in passing lanes. Will be glad to see December in the rearview mirror as he's only shot .398 for the month after the fast start to the season.

Udita Goswami

Stats: 11min 4pts (2-5, 0-0, 0-0) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Outlaw ( D+ ) -- you knew we were in trouble when we inserted legendary Blazer slaying superhero Travis Outlaw into the game and he played like...Travis Outlaw. After coming in and missing his first shot, had his only strong sequence of the night, snatching a good rebound and then running the court and getting a strong rebound follow slam afetr four Blazers scrubs stood around flatfooted and watched him run by them -- haha! our scrub is better than your scrubs! But that was kind of that. Made several bad turnovers the remainder of the half, including a terrible one on the inbounds pass that resulted in a scramble and Outlaw having to foul to save a basket. When he returned for his second half minutes was playing a lot of PF, and just got overwhelmed by Hickson physically in the third trying guard him. Wonder if Jerry noticed that?

Good enough Slim?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Stats: 19min 9pts (4-7, 1-3, 0-0) 1reb 3ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Garcia ( B- ) -- did not enter this one util the game was pretty much over, and took a while to warm up. When he finally did started hitting jumper after jumper as one of the primary culprits in our mid-4th quarter faux run. When he badly missed a heat check three, and then got manhandled by Aldridge on a switch in the post the other way, it was kind of the end of the dream.

Krisondra Daigneault

Stats: 2min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Honeycutt ( INC ) -- last couple of minutes, pressing a little

Justin Clynes -- omg! I almost forgot to add a hot guy. I am such a bad person.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This is all your fault, Brick: should have known that you starting the Game thread was a bad sign.

I need a classic, to take my mind off of this ugliness, so: Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks...

This is all your fault, Brick: should have known that you starting the Game thread was a bad sign.

I need a classic, to take my mind off of this ugliness, so: Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks... Christina Hendricks...
Saffron <3

How about Bond girls edition? I was flipping between basket ball and James Bond marathon the last two days.

Izabella Scorupco, Eva Green Olga Kurylenko, Barbara Bach, Ursula Andress...etc

Bricklayer

Its very strange to me that Tyreke is not even at the games. When was the last time you saw an injured player not at the games with the team?
Injured players rarely travel with teams on the road unless they are due back late in the roadtrip. You stay home to rehab, and he's been at the home games.

Yeah it cracks me up how Grant and Jerry go on about how "size doesn't matter in today's NBA", stretch 4s and yadayadayada and then go on to talk about how JJ Hickson is simply too big and strong for Travis Outlaw and is overpowering him inside. And then once Chuck Hayes makes a good play it's back to "size doesn't matter in today's NBA, how many big banging centers do you have in the league now?"