Grades for Kings vs. Rockets Game 1?

I realize it's only a preseason game, but I wondered if anyone would be willing to throw together some grades from the Kings preseason game versus the Rockets? I wasn't able to see or listen to the game, and from reading through the discussion thread I've seen some analysis, but was hoping someone would be willing to run through their thoughts in the standard KingsFans grades format.

Chris Webber - A+
Brad Miller - A
Mike Bibby - B+
Bluthenthal - D
Parada - F (Guy is absolutely awful)
Alexander - C-
Kevin Martin - C+ I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he had to guard T-Mac
Evans - D-
Liu - C
Songaila - B-
Barnes - D Didn't see too much of him
Peja - B

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I saw some of the 3rd and all the 4th quarters. 3rd was mostly starters and they generally looked a bit better than the Rockets. 4th was all second unit, basically Songalia, Liu, Alexander, Evans, Blumenthal and Parada. Bland, Minard, BJax and Anwar Ferguson did not play. Daniel, Ford and Barnes minimal minutes.

Liu looks better than anyone may have thought. Quick, great passer, very good ball handler. Parada did OK and showed possibilities as did Alexander. Kevin Martin started but looked a bit lost and did nothing in 17 minutes (nothing= 2 pts, 0 stls, 1 ast, 5 pf BUT no turnovers). Otherwise too soon to say much as 11 players got 11 minutes or more and 3 rookies did not play.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Disagree with F for Parada. For his first game and playing against Juhan Howard a bunch he did OK, a C-

Pacboy said:
I didnt watch the game, but Barnes had 4 assist in 9 minutes in his stat. That is good right?
prob because many of us are from the west side and it's 4,5am.......a lot of those Kings' free agents look kinda the same to me.......except Martin......he's pretty stands out with his 80's hairstyle and his athleticism.........which I think the Kings r desperately needed it.........

Double-K said:
except Martin......he's pretty stands out with his 80's hairstyle and his athleticism.........which I think the Kings r desperately needed it.........
what? more 80's hair styles? just playing ;)

Heuge said:
What did Peja do to warrent a B?
IMO for Webb an A+ is a little much
But its the preseason, who cares right.
Thanks for posting the grades.
Peja may have shot poorly, but he played well on other things. He helped out K-Mart many times on T-Mac, ran the floor, little things like that... Webber got an A+ because to me he was the best player on the floor while he was in there...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Among the starters:

Peja ( C ) - really kind of a lax effort
Webb ( A- ) - didn't dominate, but knee looked great -- wouldn't have even known there was an injury
Miller ( A- ) - loved the offensive aggression, not much boardwork
Martin ( C+ ) - hustled, gets better grade because he's a rook, tough matchup for him, NBA player but not all-rookie as of yet
Bibby ( B ) - might be too high, or too low. Barely noticed him out there.

bench...

Songaila ( C ) -- active, but sloppy

the scrubs...

Liu -- a pure PG, always refreshing, but shooting, defense, strength probably keeps him from being NBA material
Alexander -- showed a few flashes of his ability, but mostly quiet
Evans -- you know, missed most of his stint. Looked energetic.
Blumenthal -- not impressed. Standstill three point shooter. Has some size, but not an athlete, does not seem to create his own shot. Guess we're going to take him, but really no better or worse than some of the other camp invites.
Parada -- not an NBA player, hustles, but a little undersized, not terribly athletic, and lacking NBA talent
Barnes -- looked smooth out there. Not a huge impact, but looked polished enough to stick.
Ford -- only a short stint, and in typical brawly fashion immediately started banging with Yao. Appears to be behind Parada on depth chart, which means he's not going to make it.
Daniels -- barely saw the floor

Off of that game alone I would take the 8 core guys, the 2 rooks (Martin and Minard), and Alexander and Barnes. Liu actually wasn't bad as a pure point either.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Once again I think Brick is on the right track here but a little too hard on Webb and a little too kind to Pedja.

Webb... A (solid perfrmance 11 boards, 14 points and 3 assists in 24 min speaks volums, but a cluthc shot from half court and good movemnt say even more.

Miller... A (out shot and out played Yao in his house)

Pedja... C 4-12 shooting when you are known as "the best pure shooter in the leage" won't cut it. A steal, and some decent defence moves him up to a C.

Bibby... B+ Ok the case could be made that his play actualy led the team, but lack of defense brings him down a little.

K. Martin... C some good moves and nice hustle, but this guy is starting look like a foul magnet, and 1 of 2 shooting makes this a mediocre outing.

D. Song... B great hustle put up points but jakced up more crap to get it than it might be worth tonight. 4 Boards and a steal move him up to a B.

Alexander... C- Very flat, looked like he is trying to find his game out there 0-3 shooting witha turn over for a scoreer is bad. His movement was good but thats about it.

Evans... C shot like crap but hustled

Prada... C- 0-0 with one point, 4 boards and 5 fouls indicate this is a potential goon for team that needs one, but likely to seee his next game in Mexico.

Bluthenthal... D- One 3 pointer and no boards menas no future for this not so big big man.

Ford, Daniels... INC.

Wie... B If the kings need a 3rd PG this guy might be worth a look. Good moves (nice Pick and roll with d Song) shot was not on, but 3 boards, an assist and a steal not afraid to take shots, spells good things for this guy. Maybe the Kings can get an option on him, sen d him back to Shaghi and the gym and see what happens with B Jax at the end of the season?

J

joethecrow

Heuge said:
What did Peja do to warrent a B?
IMO for Webb an A+ is a little much
But its the preseason, who cares right.
Thanks for posting the grades.
I agree completely.

HndsmCelt said:
K. Martin... C some good moves and nice hustle, but this guy is starting look like a foul magnet, and 1 of 2 shooting makes this a mediocre outing.
This will stop after the pre-season. NBA refs like to call fouls on the rookies during pre-season. They want to see their reaction to the calls to get a feel for the player's attitude. This way they know how quick to pull the trigger on a T.

I have to give the announcers a solid "F".
Not for being biased or anything else like that. I just WISH that they would call the game, not gossip and banter all over it. There were so many new jerseys out there, the camera shot was long distance. I could not tell who was who. I tried listening to the radio for some real play by play , but the delay was about 5 seconds.
ESPN, TNT, ETC. have all decided that play by play is not necessary. As long as we can hear those doofs talk about what they did today. ARRGH!
KD///

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KingDog said:
I have to give the announcers a solid "F".
Not for being biased or anything else like that. I just WISH that they would call the game, not gossip and banter all over it. There were so many new jerseys out there, the camera shot was long distance. I could not tell who was who. I tried listening to the radio for some real play by play , but the delay was about 5 seconds.
ESPN, TNT, ETC. have all decided that play by play is not necessary. As long as we can hear those doofs talk about what they did today. ARRGH!
KD///
What!?>!?!>!?#

You aren't totally enamored and enraptured by the dulcet tones of Bill Walton? His tales of riding around China on his bicycle didn't leave you on the edge of your seat, waiting for more elucidation?

What matters who those players are on the court when you can be privvy to Walton's innermost thoughts and secrets?

VF21 said:
What!?>!?!>!?#

You aren't totally enamored and enraptured by the dulcet tones of Bill Walton? His tales of riding around China on his bicycle didn't leave you on the edge of your seat, waiting for more elucidation?

What matters who those players are on the court when you can be privvy to Walton's innermost thoughts and secrets?

Bill Walton is the greatest announcer/commentator ever. His job announcing the game was one the greatest announcing jobs in the history of the NBA playing in China. It was stupendous! Absolutely the greatest!

Back to the topic...

The Kings starting 5 for the game played great, collectively, I give them a solid "A". Webber and Miller were the highlights, Peja was a little under his usual game, and Bibby played fairly average.

After the starting 5 started coming out in the 2nd and late 3rd quarters...yuck. The backups werent playing very well. This is still the preseason though, most of the guys who stunk it up for us wont be around in a week and a half so there isnt much to worry about.

piksi

Hall of Famer
C Diddy said:
Bill Walton is the greatest announcer/commentator ever. His job announcing the game was one the greatest announcing jobs in the history of the NBA playing in China. It was stupendous! Absolutely the greatest!
You mean in the history of western civilisation. Pardon me - since yesterday also of the eastern civilisation. Apperently Chinese wall was not tall enough to save China from Walton

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
piksi said:
You mean in the history of western civilisation. Pardon me - since yesterday also of the eastern civilisation. Apperently Chinese wall was not tall enough to save China from Walton
I would advocate trading him to China since he liked it so much, but I fear such an action could precipitate World War III. :D

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
I would advocate trading him to China since he liked it so much, but I fear such an action could precipitate World War III. :D
We should put a "no refund availible label" on him. Worst thing that can happen is that 1.3 billion people commit suicide at the same time.
I just imagined a face of the person who would have to "dub" him for the first couple weeks until Bil learn Chinese.
:confused: :eek:

Bricklayer said:
We could put him in the racial draft!!!

Seriously though... I like Bill Walton and I like Tom Tolbert... Call me crazy but those guys make the game so much more interesting to me...

SacKings384 said:
We could put him in the racial draft!!!

Seriously though... I like Bill Walton ... make the game so much more interesting to me...
If by interesting, you mean "horribly painful to listen to", then I wholeheartedly agree.