George Karl releases statement

I

Im Still Ballin

"While I would have loved to continue on this journey, I am very proud of our work and I want to thank Kings management for the opportunity to have coached this exciting team with such a bright future," Karl said Thursday in a statement. "It's my heartfelt feeling that the magnificent new arena will be hosting many playoff runs and an eventual championship, which the Sacramento fans, some of the most loyal and supportive people I've ever known in my many years in the NBA, very much deserve.

"With a profound humility, moving forward, I wish nothing but the best for this franchise and its players."
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15203663/sacramento-kings-fire-coach-george-karl

Professional exit

Last post about Karl. Need to stop dwelling on the past. It's done.

Delete this if this has already been posted

One of the more shamefully-transparent PR-written statements I can remember in recent history.

Class is not one of the first 20 descriptors I think of when I think of George Karl, and I highly doubt that people who have worked with the man would disagree.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
George Karl has an immense respect and love for the game of basketball. No one should be surprised by a classy exit on his part.
Well I kinda was.

But he's been warming up to this for several weeks. And whether contrived or a legitimate expression, it was a nice classy statement that saved us at least a bit of extra unnecessary drama. So good on him. Have a good retirement.

Now onward.

George Karl has an immense respect and love for the game of basketball. No one should be surprised by a classy exit on his part.
I very much agree with you on this. I think we should understand that George Karl came to Sacramento as the person everybody in the FO should have been familiar with. You can't blame the coach for wanting to do it his way, because he believes that it is the way to success and his future depends on it. If you have reservations about his way, don't hire him. For Karl's failure in Sacramento (he actually had a better record than his predecessors) I put 70% responsibility on the FO. The remaining 30% goes on Karl, because I don't think that he clearly indicated what he wanted when signing with the team. Anyway, this is a good example of doing things in the wrong order by the management. They should have first appointed Vlade and let him select the coach. That would have been the correct way.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... For Karl's failure in Sacramento (he actually had a better record than his predecessors) I put 70% responsibility on the FO. The remaining 30% goes on Karl, because I don't think that he clearly indicated what he wanted when signing with the team...
I'm inclined to put 50-55 percent of it on Karl, for that very reason. I believe that he knew he wanted to get rid of Cousins before he took the job, and deliberately neglected to mention it when he was interviewing for the job, because if he had, he wouldn't have gotten the job in the first place.

Well I kinda was.

But he's been warming up to this for several weeks. And whether contrived or a legitimate expression, it was a nice classy statement that saved us at least a bit of extra unnecessary drama. So good on him. Have a good retirement.

Now onward.
Well if he does want another shot at coaching any type of shots at the Kings would remove the last sliver of hope.

I'm inclined to put 50-55 percent of it on Karl, for that very reason. I believe that he knew he wanted to get rid of Cousins before he took the job, and deliberately neglected to mention it when he was interviewing for the job, because if he had, he wouldn't have gotten the job in the first place.
I put the ratio at that on purpose, because I don't really know for sure who was behind the decision to hire Karl. Therefore, I don't have a clue if his position on Cousins was even discussed when he was hired. If the issue was not brought up at all in the negotiations, a bigger part of the blame goes to the FO, but Karl has to take 30% of it for failing to mention it. If it was discussed and Karl was honest about his position, the blame is still on the FO. If Karl was dishonest about his position on Cousins, i.e. the FO said Cousins will stay in any case and Karl said that he agrees, he is to blame (100%).

In general I think the coach should do the best he can with the roster he has. He should not get involved in player movements. That is the job of the FO.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I put the ratio at that on purpose, because I don't really know for sure who was behind the decision to hire Karl. Therefore, I don't have a clue if his position on Cousins was even discussed when he was hired. If the issue was not brought up at all in the negotiations, a bigger part of the blame goes to the FO, but Karl has to take 30% of it for failing to mention it. If it was discussed and Karl was honest about his position, the blame is still on the FO. If Karl was dishonest about his position on Cousins, i.e. the FO said Cousins will stay in any case and Karl said that he agrees, he is to blame (100%).
I think that one can look at Karl's previous coaching record and come to the rational conclusion that Karl wanted Cousins gone before he ever agreed to take the job. I put less of that on the front office because it was an equally reasonable conclusion on their part that Karl's circumstance prior to getting the job was such that they wouldn't have expected him to be angling to get rid of the star player as soon as he got here.

I very much agree with you on this. I think we should understand that George Karl came to Sacramento as the person everybody in the FO should have been familiar with. You can't blame the coach for wanting to do it his way, because he believes that it is the way to success and his future depends on it. If you have reservations about his way, don't hire him. For Karl's failure in Sacramento (he actually had a better record than his predecessors) I put 70% responsibility on the FO. The remaining 30% goes on Karl, because I don't think that he clearly indicated what he wanted when signing with the team. Anyway, this is a good example of doing things in the wrong order by the management. They should have first appointed Vlade and let him select the coach. That would have been the correct way.
A couple of things

1. Karl might have a better record than most of his predecessors but he also happened to have a LOT better roster than any of them. This team is stacked with experienced, proven, play off tested veterans that were productive everywhere they played and all of a sudden they "flop" with Karl as the coach. Ever wondered why? Most of these players are in the prime of their career so "past it" comments are not going to cut it.

2. People that hired Karl were gone a couple of months after they hired him. Not sure how Vlade and his front office get the blame given that all of them bar Bratz (not sure that even he had a say) were not part of the dicsion making process when Malone was fired and a couple of months later when Karl was hired.

This is the first time since Ranadivé ownership that we will have a front office person in place who is running the show and picking his coach. If Vlade screws this up I will be the first one to call him out on it but I am willing to give him a chance. He put together the best roster this team has had since Adelman's last season in charge and by a fair margin. He deserves a shot to pick his own coach and turn this thing around. Most of the things he has done since becoming the man have been good, solid, positive moves for the franchise. I am sure he will get the right coach and get this team into the play offs starting with next season.

I think that one can look at Karl's previous coaching record and come to the rational conclusion that Karl wanted Cousins gone before he ever agreed to take the job. I put less of that on the front office because it was an equally reasonable conclusion on their part that Karl's circumstance prior to getting the job was such that they wouldn't have expected him to be angling to get rid of the star player as soon as he got here.
That is true and I even think that part of signing Karl was the FO plan to have Karl to oust Cousins from Sacramento. In other words, do the dirty work. Didn't originally want to write this because it may sound a bit too much like a conspiracy theory. However, that may explain some of why I'm so inclined to put a lot on the FO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That is true and I even think that part of signing Karl was the FO plan to have Karl to oust Cousins from Sacramento. In other words, do the dirty work. Didn't originally want to write this because it may sound a bit too much like a conspiracy theory. However, that may explain some of why I'm so inclined to put a lot on the FO.
First, I don't buy into your theory but if it did end up being true it wouldn't really surprise me. Pete D'Allesandro was the ultimate slimy little toad IMHO. I'm just very glad Vivek pulled the plug on both he and Chris Mullin before they could totally destroy our franchise.

A couple of things

1. Karl might have a better record than most of his predecessors but he also happened to have a LOT better roster than any of them. This team is stacked with experienced, proven, play off tested veterans that were productive everywhere they played and all of a sudden they "flop" with Karl as the coach. Ever wondered why? Most of these players are in the prime of their career so "past it" comments are not going to cut it.

2. People that hired Karl were gone a couple of months after they hired him. Not sure how Vlade and his front office get the blame given that all of them bar Bratz (not sure that even he had a say) were not part of the dicsion making process when Malone was fired and a couple of months later when Karl was hired.

This is the first time since Ranadivé ownership that we will have a front office person in place who is running the show and picking his coach. If Vlade screws this up I will be the first one to call him out on it but I am willing to give him a chance. He put together the best roster this team has had since Adelman's last season in charge and by a fair margin. He deserves a shot to pick his own coach and turn this thing around. Most of the things he has done since becoming the man have been good, solid, positive moves for the franchise. I am sure he will get the right coach and get this team into the play offs starting with next season.
That is absolutely correct and that's why I call it a failure despite of the better record. The roster was great. Before the season I feared how the Rondo deal would work out, but that turned out to be an excellent choice. The roster is a over 0.500 roster and I hope that most of them can stay together for the next season.

The Karl signing had nothing to do with Vlade (as I wrote). I'm still a strong supporter of Vlade and I believe he is the man to turn the Kings around. As a matter of fact, I hope Vivek gives him free hands to do whatever he sees fit.

First, I don't buy into your theory but if it did end up being true it wouldn't really surprise me. Pete D'Allesandro was the ultimate slimy little toad IMHO. I'm just very glad Vivek pulled the plug on both he and Chris Mullin before they could totally destroy our franchise.
As I said, I can't support it with any solid information. I also don't remember exactly what the relationship of D'Allessandro and Karl was in Denver, but I find it somewhat crazy that Karl ended up in Sacramento and D'Allesandro and Malone in Denver.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As I said, I can't support it with any solid information. I also don't remember exactly what the relationship of D'Allessandro and Karl was in Denver, but I find it somewhat crazy that Karl ended up in Sacramento and D'Allesandro and Malone in Denver.
You want crazy? Shaquille O'Neal is part owner of the Sacramento Kings. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well I kinda was.

Now onward.
He had to pretend to be classy. He's trying to become the head of the Running Rebels.

Wish he could have traded you know who and had a team run his way. Oh well. Lets let Boogie and Vlade decide who's best for this team moving forward.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If Karl gets a coaching job somewhere else, do the Kings still owe him his money for the upcoming years?
That would be true if Carl wanted to coach in the NBA during the Run of this contract. Its why people think he plans on coaching college ball until his NBA contract expires he gets to double-dip and Rehab his reputation. At least that's my understanding of the generalities around the contract law. Of course the specific language will dictate everything.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you God that we are a poopoo show with the biggest crybaby in the league running our poopoo show. Thank you God.
We're a poopoo show in spite of Cousins, not because of him.

I presume you think the Warriors would be better off trading Draymond Green too, since your criteria for trading a player is that they whinge. Green is actually worse than Cuz in this department, he's a total b**ch.

We're a poopoo show in spite of Cousins, not because of him.

I presume you think the Warriors would be better off trading Draymond Green too, since your criteria for trading a player is that they whinge. Green is actually worse than Cuz in this department, he's a total b**ch.
Could you imagine if Green had to face the same adversity or put up with such a mismanaged team like Cousins has had to do? I think there would be a fair chance that Green would be out of the league and labeled as untouchable. It's so easy to let things go and be all smiles when you're winning, yet this guy makes it a point to be a complete a** despite being on the most winning team in the history of the league. Yet commentators & the national media label him as 'passionate' & 'enthusiastic.' The bias is nothing short of laughable.