Gear towards GSW.

Obviously right now we are just trying to lay down the foundation of our rebuild. That team over there 80 west is going to be there for a while and eventually we'll have to meet them. Trying to match their firepower is a horrible strategy imo. I think we have to become a defensive squad who can switch everything and remain disciplined on D. We have a nice starting point already with our front court but I think we would be best served by doubling down and picking a SF who compliments those guys either preferably Isaac or OG. So besides that what type of players do you think we should add to the Kings?

GSW has 2 potential HOF players and can start an All Star team:eek:

Quality Veterans are lining up to take cheap contracts from the W's and get a ring.

Owner has plenty of money and the bandwagon is full:)

How do you compete with that? I think you build a defensive oriented team that can run, shoot the 3 and is not afraid to punch someone in the face. More importantly be willing to take a few punches and keep playing well. That said it is a long road.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the key is to build a team that competes next year and aims for a playoff spot in two or three years. Then in four years when they are hopefully ready to start to actually contend Curry and Durant will be 33.

Point being, the Kings competition right now are all the other teams in the lottery and maybe Portland in that 8th seed. I don't think you build a team that can compete with the Warriors, you build a team that can grow and win and deal with matchup issues when you actually have the luxury of tweaking a winning lineup to go up against the top team in the division.

Besides, a lot can happen in 3 or 4 years.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Play tough physical defense but I think you still have to be able to score because you can only defend them to a point. It's why I think Markannen at 10 is a good pick since he can knock down 3's. I think the team that we could emulate is Houston and their stable of guys who knock down the 3.

How do you compete with that?
You really can't compete.

Which in the Kings case may be a good thing.

I would give GSW and LeBron another 2-3 years of solid run, and at that point their main stars (Curry, Durant and LeBron) will be in their 30s, at which time a new window for other teams will open.

Luckily, if we can stay the course, we should be ready to really compete when GSW and LeBron will be on the downside of their careers. The Kings should be on the upswing at that time. :)

Obviously right now we are just trying to lay down the foundation of our rebuild. That team over there 80 west is going to be there for a while and eventually we'll have to meet them. Trying to match their firepower is a horrible strategy imo. I think we have to become a defensive squad who can switch everything and remain disciplined on D. We have a nice starting point already with our front court but I think we would be best served by doubling down and picking a SF who compliments those guys either preferably Isaac or OG. So besides that what type of players do you think we should add to the Kings?
The type of player we need has been discussed thoroughly. Now that we are just 8 days away we can sit back and get ready for the real time answers.

It's nearly impossible to compete with them. They are going to have a monopoly over the NBA for a while and I suspect other stars will start teaming up on the same teams to compete with them. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.

We won't be able to get anyone better than Curry. Hield or any of our other SG prospects wont be better than Klay. We aren't going to find anyone better than Durant for damn sure. Skal might wind up being a better scorer than Draymond but he will more than likely never be as effective overall. The only position we can beat them at is center. We're talking about 3 of the best shooters of all time, plus a defensive beast of a PF that can guard all 5 positions, be among the league leaders in assists and shoot somewhat effectively.

I don't see championships on the horizon anytime soon unless somehow we just wind up with a couple of hall of famers. Best we can hope for are just some good runs in the playoffs and competitive basketball.

It's nearly impossible to compete with them. They are going to have a monopoly over the NBA for a while and I suspect other stars will start teaming up on the same teams to compete with them. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.

We won't be able to get anyone better than Curry. Hield or any of our other SG prospects wont be better than Klay. We aren't going to find anyone better than Durant for damn sure. Skal might wind up being a better scorer than Draymond but he will more than likely never be as effective overall. The only position we can beat them at is center. We're talking about 3 of the best shooters of all time, plus a defensive beast of a PF that can guard all 5 positions, be among the league leaders in assists and shoot somewhat effectively.

I don't see championships on the horizon anytime soon unless somehow we just wind up with a couple of hall of famers. Best we can hope for are just some good runs in the playoffs and competitive basketball.
We have to stop thinking like this! GS used to suck remember. We need to draft right and turn this #### around.

Think like San Antonio. The good news is Spurs probably on a decline (or bit of one) with Duncan gone, Manu likely retired, Parker near the end. Even Pop possibly retiring as head coach sooner rather later, maybe kicking himself upstairs in organization. Emulating much of what Spurs have done over past nearly 20 years not a bad recipe to compete with GSW or anyone. Defense and fundamentals first. Kings offense firepower will follow.

I'm not worried about the Warriors until the Kings organization can show me they know how to rebuild and do it in any timely manner. I believe that the absolutely very best outcome for a Kings rebuild still isn't before that GSW team is blown up.

As upinsmoke said above all we need to do is t keep getting better by our picks and acquisitions and keep on improving our team. All this regardless of what the Warriors or any other team is doing. "Rebuilding" or "building for the future" are fine but remember real life, the prime goal of the Kings or any other team is to put the best team available right now so we can win next year to please everyone, the players, the coaching staff, the front office, the ownership and, particularly, the fans.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not worried about us beating the GDW. I'll be satisfied to see us get back to the playoffs at this point.

I suppose if we can boast a starting five that are contenders for the NBA all-defensive team then we might be able to stand a chance against them, but we still need to be able to score and have players that can shoot. If our future sees us model ourselves on the grit and grind approach of the Grizzlies or the defensive ability of the current Celtics, then we are probably setting ourselves up to fail if we can't score and don't have enough players that can shoot.

For me, we need to add players that can shoot well and play a good level of defense. We need to make sure that our roster can go toe to toe in a scoring contest, but also keep things tight and restrict teams when needed. The Warriors are good at both at their best and the Miami Heat who became one of the best teams post all star break did the same - they played defense, but backed it up with scoring and shooting ability. Our aim should be to put together a roster that can score, shoot well, and play defense.

Building a roster that fits into a specific playstyle seems like a good foundation to me. A playstyle that is a strength of your coaching staff.

Preach fundamentals of basketball. Too often players (and maybe some coaches) enter the league without a solid grasp of the core principles. This includes boxing out, Willie. :)

We are not playoff contenders who can't seem to get past a specific team. It isn't prudent in our position to build a team to defeat a specific current contender.

Following the above tenets of roster construction built around a playstyle, and making fundamental basketball second nature would get us halfway there, and likely within reach of a playoff berth.

To go deep in the post season, we need to be damn good at our chosen playstyle. Maybe 5 years from now, other teams are trying to be the next Kings.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't think we need to worry about the Warriors because by the time the Kings are looking to become consistent playoff contenders, the Warriors will be on the decline so it's all moot anyway.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Let's focus on not sucking first.