[Game] Pelicans vs. Rockets Game Thread, 23 FEB 2017, 20:00 ET/17:00 PT

K

KingMilz

I think it's too much. If you want to root for the Pelicans, there are several boards upon which to do so. PelicanReport and PelicansRoost are just two of them.

Having said that, I'm not gonna close the thread.
Off course you won't but whenever someone made a Cousins trade thread in the personal section you would basically close 90% of those threads down because you knew that Vlade would never trade Cousins and it was silly to even talk about it since we were getting so little value for him.

I watched some Pel's games over the All-Star break and I think it's one of the worst fits throughout the league for Boogie. It's George Karls system all over again.
Usually you would expect a coaching staff to get back to the drawing board, when a major piece like Boogie is added and to tinker with the systems so that it actually fits.
But I'm not convinced Gentry is willing or able to do that.

K

KingMilz

I watched some Pel's games over the All-Star break and I think it's one of the worst fits throughout the league for Boogie. It's George Karls system all over again.
Usually you would expect a coaching staff to get back to the drawing board, when a major piece like Boogie is added and to tinker with the systems so that it actually fits.
But I'm not convinced Gentry is willing or able to do that.
So we are already blaming the coach if it does not work? Him and AD should work fine. To me that team defensively has a chance to be beast Solo/AD/Cousins/Moore/Holiday defensively have a chance to be very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we are already blaming the coach if it does not work? Him and AD should work fine. To me that team defensively has a chance to be beast Solo/AD/Cousins/Moore/Holiday defensively have a chance to be very good.
I'm not blaming anyone. Gentry, like Karl, is a good coach for a very specific brand of basketball. Cousins is a good player for a very specific brand of basketball. That's not blaming and it's also not uncommon. In fact every player in the NBA has a system he has the most success in. There is one player in the history of this league, who I would rule out of this and that's Lebron, because he literally can play any brand of basketball possible and even Lebron might be at his best when in the open court.
Maybe we all should take a step back and let go of the black and white thinking for a while. I'm not trying to find excuses for Cousins.

Offensively Cousins will find a way to fit in. I don't think Gentry will use him to the best of his abilities, but he will find a way to contribute. But within a fast paced offense, defense will be even more of a problem for Boogie. The roster he has now is better than anything he had with the Kings. But he will either trail a lot of plays or he will have trouble to protect the rim, when the Pel's continue to play their current system.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Cousins' defensive rebounding position has been off so far, and he's still clearly vulnerable defensively on the pick and roll. One thing I'm seeing with New Orleans is that they appear to be much better at rotating than the Kings are, so it hasn't killed them just yet.

On offense, he looks great.

It's probably too soon. Like watching your girlfriend do the things she used to do with you with a new guy while deep down knowing she's better off with them. Going to take some time for me to see him in another uni doing Boogie things.