Game of Thrones

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Are people here watching this? I just started a few nights back, now have watched all 9 episodes leading up to tomorrow's finale. At first I was drawn to some of the more shallow elements of the first episode but wow, the twists and turns have been amazing. This is one where I am glad that I watched at the end of the season so I can get everything all at once but I will anxiously be waiting for the second season as soon as it completes tomorrow night.

I've only caught a couple episodes of the series so far, but it seems like this is one where it's best to read the books first. A lot of the fun of the books is the ability to look inside each of the characters' heads (written in multiple first perspectives), each with an incomplete and prejudiced picture of the world, and I don't see how that is possible with a TV series.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't know, part of what is making this so epic for me is that it is doing things TV shows just don't do. Books have a lot less "rules" about what can and can't be done
mainly who can and can't be killed, killing Ned is pretty unthinkable by TV standards, even shows where anyone is fair game the established main character lasts through the first season

I agree, that was a powerful moment, but it worked in the book beautifully as well. Ironically, books with a medieval fantasy setting have an awful lot of conventions, and Game of Thrones just obliterates them. Makes the world seem more real.

Now that I've chastised you to read the source material, back to the story :D. What I loved about Ned's death was that it didn't seem to happen for a narrative reason. Joffery was just an erratic individual with too much power, screwing everybody's plans up.

Last edited:
I love this show!

I was waiting for somebody to start a thread about this. Really great show, from the opening credits to the plot twists and finally to the cliffhanging last scenes. Can't wait for the second season.

Very good show. The only knock is that I find a lot of the characters kind of sterotyped, probably beacuse of the little screentime everyone of them has.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It is going to be a long wait for Spring 2012. Almost makes me want to read the books. I still think that if I read the books first I'll wind up disappointed in the show vs. doing it the other way around. Someone told me the first season would be half the book but poking around it appears they got through the whole book. So safe to read the first book? Since 7 books are planned and they have only released 5 I wonder if it will have a planned ending or if some point they'll veer from the books dramatically a la Dexter?

Last edited:
It is going to be a long wait for Spring 2012. Almost makes me want to read the books. I still think that if I read the books first I'll wind up disappointed in the show vs. doing it the other way around. Someone told me the first season would be half the book but poking around it appears they got through the whole book. So safe to read the first book? Since 7 books are planned and they have only released 5 I wonder if it will have a planned ending or if some point they'll veer from the books dramatically a la Dexter?
The first series is the first book, but there's enough story there that they can start doing half-books if the author slows down. As faithful as they were to the book in the series, I can't see them veering away much in the future.

My husband and I really got into this one. I'm a big Sean Bean fan (way back to the Sharpe's Rifles days) and enjoy him more in the protagonist roles. Our favorite character is Tyrion - the one character who seems to have the least agenda. All he wants is good wine, and good female "companionship". My husband will have a hard time waiting until next year for more treachery.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Recently finished watching the first season of this. Amazing! I cannot wait until season two! Fantastic show and keeps you craving for more.