[Game] Game 65: Kings @ Wizards, 3/14/15 - 4:00 pdt, 7:00 edt

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Tetsujin says he's too busy to write these, with "too busy" being code for "If I have to do this any more, I'm going to put my head on the rail tracks and wait for the express to come by."

I don't blame him. It's rarely been easy to be a Kings fan, but it seems like the universe is really messing with us. We saved our team and have a new arena rising in downtown, but at what cost?

We had a coach we liked but he apparently wasn't good enough, so we lost him. We begged, pleaded, cajoled, threatened, yelled and otherwise made our feelings known about the HOF coach available who was willing to come to Sacramento, and after an almost inexorable period of waiting, we got him. But, in the interim, we were subjected to some of the worst basketball EVER seen in the Kings era. Not just bad, but "Holy crap, what's that smell" bad.

So, the savior coach appears and what happens? We win our first game. That should have been our wake-up call, our signal from the universe not to get too happy because he/she/it wasn't done with us.,

There is no joy in Mudville when the mighty Casey strikes out, and there's certainly no joy in Sacramento when Demarcus Cousins puts up an incredible 39/24 and the rest of the team cannot find a way to beat ... the freaking tanktastic 76ers.

I know things will get better. One bright spot? We're on game 65, which means we've only got 17 games of this madness left. I can only hope that our franchise player hasn't gone off the deep end and actually ripped a couple of his fellow Kings apart by the end of the season.

George Karl has a herculean task ahead of him, should he not come to his senses and rethink his whole contract vs. staying out of the game decision. He might even be able to get out of the contract on the basis of misrepresentation. The front office signed him to coach an NBA team - what he's seen thus far hasn't even remotely met that description.

I am not a happy camper. I am, however, for reasons known only to the universe, still a Kings fan - a somewhat disgusted Kings fan - and I still love this team.

It's the end of a long road trip. The Kings merely have to get out of DC alive and they get to come home where they have 5 games before another shorter road trip.

Being a Kings fan is definitely not for the faint of heart. But it is what it is.

Once, now and forever...GO KINGS!!!

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Don't worry kids, the new arena is coming in 2016!

And something something something SIM BHULLAR! Look how many points our team is scoring!!!!

Something something something Vine clip of a J-Will pass something something....

And this, my friends, has been a summary of the Kings current PR strategy.

Don't worry kids, the new arena is coming in 2016!

And something something something SIM BHULLAR! Look how many points our team is scoring!!!!

Something something something Vine clip of a J-Will pass something something....

And this, my friends, has been a summary of the Kings current PR strategy.
Who needs a winning team when you can just cling to memories of one 15 years ago once every two months?!

Demarcus Cousins vs the team he might end up going to. Exciting stuff!

Usually at this point I am starting to get excited about possibilities next season, but this time I may not even want to watch unless there are some major changes. Changes I would like to see:
- JT/Ben/Nik gone: hopefully at least 2/3 but I would be more than willing to say goodbye to all 3 for the right deals to get a starting PF
-Pickup a SG (anyone would be better than what we get now) in free agency/trade if applicable (Carl Landry?)
- Adding a real 6th man/bench

Thanks, VF21, for your courage in writing up this game. Since
I'm numb I'll add a few random notes. Wizards are something like 37-28 and we are 22-42. In our last 10 we are 3-7, they are 4-6. Anybody out with injury? Don't have any idea. Are our guys and their guys still earning from $10,000 to $200,000 per game? You bet. Will the game be over by 7 PM sacramento time? Probably. Are the Kings welcome home after a long flight? Sure. The poor guys deserve a rest in their own beds. And there is reason for optimism for them - one month to go and they are free, free, free. Go Kings!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm going to try and focus on one thing tonight - the dynamic between DMC and George Karl. I know Karl had to have a talk with DMC yesterday after the game. If George wants any success with the Kings in the coming season, he'll desperately need to have Boogie fully on board. Thus far, we've been blessed in that DMC hasn't already checked out. I can't think of too many superstar players who would have put up with what DMC has put up with. I think the only saving grace is that he had a lot of baggage and that kept him from being anointed as a superstar when he first entered the league.

They showed a clip of George Karl earlier in the broadcast, talking about DMC. Karl said he was truly amazed by just how good Cousins is...I can only hope that this translates into Karl doing whatever it takes to put the players around Cousins who can help him and the Kings be all that they can be.

GO KINGS!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
with the way things are going, I fully expect this game to be a double digit win.
Are you insane??????

Quick, put on something with the Kings logo on it, hop on your left foot in a counterclockwise direction for three full circles, and chant "No jinx, I'm sorry, no jinx."

Geez, dude...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One of the turnovers that frustrates me the most is when they step out of bounds. It's not like the sidelines aren't marked.

Hey if you box out then you can secure the rebound and run.

I'm not an expert on Drew Gooden, but I'm pretty sure all he does is rebound and brick shots. Like that's his entire career as far as I know.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey if you box out then you can secure the rebound and run.

I'm not an expert on Drew Gooden, but I'm pretty sure all he does is rebound and brick shots. Like that's his entire career as far as I know.
You also forgot one thing - he falls over for random reasons. I personally think it's old age and the sudden need for a quick nap.

Damned if don't remember feeling the exact same way, twenty-four hours ago?
before the Philly game, I was apprehensive. it'd have meant positive momentum, some sense of progress. anathema to what Kings basketball, in other words, whereas a loss meant gut wrenching misery, which is something way more familiar to all of us, no? today, all signs point to a loss (b2b after a terrible loss against an even more terrible team, playing against a Wizards team finally on an upswing and on their own home floor), we shall thus win this game by at least 15. stands to reason, doesn't it?

Are you insane??????

Quick, put on something with the Kings logo on it, hop on your left foot in a counterclockwise direction for three full circles, and chant "No jinx, I'm sorry, no jinx."

Geez, dude...
this team seems way past jinxable, imo.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Can someone explain to me what Landry did to earn starts in the karl era?
He didn't. Karl said he likes Thompson as a backup center, and I agree with him. But Landry didn’t "earn" the job. It's just that, if you're going to bring Thompson off the bench, Landry might be the least objectionable alternative.