[Game] Game 57: Sacramento Kings v. San Antonio Spurs, 2/27/15

What would you do if you were the chair?

• No harm, no foul.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Sue Boogie.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Parlay your newfound fame into a reality TV career.

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • Die.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KingsFans.com Official Game Thread
Game 56
Sacramento Kings versus San Antonio Spurs

By Stephen Tetsu, Possibly a Chair

Ouch.
Well that was fun.

Going against the most physical team in the league, the Kings not only managed to withstand an absolute physical beating but returned the favor and emerged with their composure in tact.

Awards Time

The View From the Other Side

The following have been taken from grizzliesonline.com.
  • 6:45 AM We cannot allow ourselves to have a letdown in this game. Took care of business twice, this is a big game.
  • 7:14 AM It would be really nice if we didn't have to sweat out another 4th quarter rally. Here's hoping the Kings are still trying to adjust to George Karl's run and gun system. That's what happened to them against the Clippers. They just wore down after the first quarter of running for 12 minutes. They haven't played since Sat. and have had some practice time.
  • 7:43 Thompson and McCallum suck lol.

Grizz by 11, after only being up by 1 at the half.
  • 10:38 It is kind of funny to hear the Memphis radio commercials for this game. Nationally, I expect that any time a team plays the Kings, the local commercial highlights DeMarcus Cousins as the star of the Kings. But here in Memphis, Sacramento is Rudy's team.
  • 9:27 That idiot who is in the league due only to his games against us--Reggie Evans--is in the game now. He had like 20 effing rebounds against us last time we played them in SAC.

I guess we are determined to help Ben McLemore have a career night tonight.
  • 9:29 that jackarse Reggie Evans made a name for himself when he was with the Clippers and he got all those rebounds against us. Then he did it again with SAC when they play us. Its like he lives to play MEM. I will give him credit for having a high motor and playing hard-going after all boards.
  • 9:35 Udrih shooing touch hasn't comeback fr vacation yet.
  • 9:41 McLemore 1st Qtr.

12 min., 11 pts., 5-9 fg's, 1-2 from 3

Dang.
  • 9:41 off topic but I wish I knew who the brain surgeon is who thought Hassan Whiteside wasnt even good enough to sit on our bench. He had 15 pts andd 13 boards tonight to go along with all we have seen him do since MIA signed him off OUR Iowa Energy roster. That was an absolute horrible misevaluation of talent on the Grizzlies part.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program as the Grizz give up 32 pts in the first quarter
  • 9:49 thanks Jon Leuer for the offensive foul.

This game is Minnesota all over again. These SAC guys are playing like they are in the playoffs and MEM is just sleepwalking. Hey they have had a successful road trip to be sure and they cannot win every game. Karl and the Kings are looking at this game as one that will establish possibly their identity and a run and gun and drive and kick and go go go like his Denver teams used to do. MEM has done its heavy lifting on Sun and Mon nite and just dont seem to have the energy to stay with them.
  • 9:58 Awesome technical foul call, long overdue. That man needs to chill.
  • 10:03 Oh man, another straight line drive.

Mike is 1 of 5 from the field. Our PG has really got to be better than that with his shot. Now Marc is missing FTs. Mike has short armed at least 2 jumpers that barely made it to the rim......and Marc misses ANOTHER FT. Just curious, what the eff is going on? To be honest, it just looks like they (the Grizz) just dont want to be here tonight. People have bad days/nights. I guess NBA teams do too.
  • 10:08 I hate playing the kings
  • 10:12 Zbo just did it again!! UNBELIEVABLE!!
  • 10:14 Zbo's the king of half court shots
  • 10:22 The Kings are going to be decent next year. They are extremely athletic are playing to their advantage more now than they were before.

Jeff green seems slow compared to these guys on the court. Funny how he struggles with similar athleticism.
  • 10:30 Cousins is begging for a T
  • 10:31 lol yea. Cousins didn't get one when he kicked a chair in the first half. That's bs
  • 10:33 Cousins wants none of Zbo.
  • 10:36 The last time I saw Zbo THAT mad - Flake Griffin got CHOKE SLAMMED
  • 10:38 Z-Bo's playing like an idiot
  • 10:40 Real talk. DMC was actually pretty scared.

Aaaaaand, the Grizzlies have the lead now.
  • 10:41 We look bush league out there .

Not confident ...but frustrated .

Allowing boys to 'talk' us into technicals...

Say your piece without the demonstrations that will cost our team a T ...

And ball out .

We have big goals this year - stay focused.

(Does not apply to the Floppers - make them Eat their hats EVERYGAME)
  • 10:43 ZBo, stop letting your emotions play the game for you! No stupid fouls, no whining to the refs, just play the game.
  • 11:16 Talk about Trap Games --- sheesh
  • 11:17 I got Grizz by 7 after an extra period.
  • 11:23 Cousin's hand signs were so lame, I couldn't believe it was happening
  • 11:26 All the big guns lost this game for us. Conley Marc Zbo CLee Jeff Tony and Dave.

Came out lackadaisical and are deservedly paying for it.
  • 11:27 Where was that all night, CLee? Oh yeah, you're scared to shoot.

Notice how the refs put DMC out once the game's already been decided.
  • 12:03 Frustrating game to watch, especially underneath.

Reggie Evans needs to be signed in the future by the Grizzlies, because I'm tired of seeing that guy on other teams.

I swear he gets away with more when playing against the Grizzlies than against any other team.
  • 10:14 sometimes the referees LET the game get away ...

this time the referees had BOTH teams going at them

felt like replacement reffs

George Karl got his first tech of the season

Our coach got t'd up

Boogie SHOULD have got a couple but ... that didn't lose us this game

Zbo got one - could have easily gotten 2 and tossed ...( why didn't coach pull him for a minute or two to settle down? ) - but this didn't lose it for us either.

We didn't play OUR game ... lots of standing around on offense - LOTS

Like somebody else said - they wanted it more than we did ... it was obvious that this game meant more to them...

And THAT'S what concerns me.

This is as good a team as we have EVER had and EVERY game SHOULD mean more to us... this IS our year ... we have to come out EXPECTING to get everybody's best .

And we should ALWAYS play OUR game - that's what got us here.

Now ... got that off of my chest ... bring on the floppers !
  • 12:07 Cousins and Reggie Evans won the psychological war. Zach got mad, and made it his own personal battle. He is not gonna win with a 1 on 5 mentality. Especially against Cousins. That guy's built like Wilt.

Tonight's Game
The Spurs Roster as constructed from memory
C:
Tiago Splitter/ Gustavo Ayon/ Some other guy
PF: Tim Duncan kidnapped from the old folks' home/ Fat old Boris Diaw/ The Ginger Assassin
SF: Kawhi "Passed over for Jimmer" Leonard/ No one apparently
SG: Danny "Don't call me Jeff" Green/ Dementia-addled Manu/ Marco Belinelli
PG: Old guy Tony Parker/ Puppy Mills/ Two First Names

Last edited:
Too bad Cousins won't be playing tonight, I was looking forward to having a chance against a struggling Spurs team. Maybe Karl will work some magic.

Edit, listed as doubtful. Cmon Boogie! let's keep winning.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Spurs on a 4 game losing streak....I don't remember them having one 5 game losing streak in the past decade so this is rare territory for them if they were to lose. But....it looks like no Cousins so we know how that goes, even though...against the Grizzlies the Kings gained a bigger lead with Cousins out of the game so let's see what happens. Tony Parker has been struggling big time this season so what does that mean? how about a break out game versus our beloved Kings! Need to see Ben and Ray be even more aggressive in this one, Rudy can only do so much by himself.

Jeff Ayres and Aaron Baynes are both still on the Spurs and weren't traded, I was able to watch Gustavo Ayon when my team Maccabi Tel-Aviv defeated Real Madrid which he is currently playing in.

I wish the Kings good luck tonight against the Spurs and let's go get this W.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I will be away from the internets this weekend, so I won't be able to watch the game:

Here are, my comments from tonight's game, in advance:

Q1:
"I wore the cut better than Malone, and I wear it better than Karl."

Q2:
"Maybe DWill needs a haircut. Couldn't hurt."

Q3:
"Even a hobbled Cousins is too much for this team."

Q4:
"Stauskas AND Stockton?"

55812959.jpg

Baynes has been getting the majority of minutes for the Spurs at Center. He's playing great basketball for them. Tiago has been getting the bench minutes.

Don't know how to word this correctly, but I do hope that SA plays a solid game tonight, win or lose; they are a team that I respect, and its painful to see them on a 4 game losing streak.

P

PoundForPound

Just purchased tickets to see Kevin Hart perform here in Sacramento, a Kings win will really be the icing on the cake for my day!

Hope the team plays well tonight. I'm not expecting a win, to be honest, because the Spurs are a very proud franchise, they've lost four games, and Boogie is out.

I just want to see a really strong effort.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Don't know how to word this correctly, but I do hope that SA plays a solid game tonight, win or lose; they are a team that I respect, and its painful to see them on a 4 game losing streak.
The fork may finally be sticking this time.

Just don't have any dangerous players anymore. Been arguing with people about the Kawhi nonsense for years, and now with Parker aging even faster than Manu/Timmy this may finally be it. They're like the sneaky old guy at the park now, trying to guile their way to victory without the talent to back it up. Good teams are just pushing them over with a feather.

We, however, are not a good team. And without Cuz we've been a flat bad one.

With the Kings this season, it seems like whenever a player is rumored to be on the trade block (and I really hope with Cousins it is a false rumor), that player becomes injured and stops getting playing time for a while.

Entity

Hall of Famer
With the Kings this season, it seems like whenever a player is rumored to be on the trade block (and I really hope with Cousins it is a false rumor), that player becomes injured and stops getting playing time for a while.
Jason Thompson and nik stauskas were the two most talked about in trades and neither of them has missed time due to injury. I actually don't recall derek Williams being injured only cuz Rudy collison and omri. Basically your whole post is false come to think of it

Jason Thompson and nik stauskas were the two most talked about in trades and neither of them has missed time due to injury. I actually don't recall derek Williams being injured only cuz Rudy collison and omri. Basically your whole post is false come to think of it
Cousins and Collison are the 2 that come to mind. I think since they are top players that's why I remembered. So that's two players I mentioned...'whole post is false'? Your comment is false.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You do realize there is NO trading block right now, right? The trade deadline has passed.

That makes sense, but then why that mess about Karl wanting us to look into get Lawson? For next season then. And Cousins not untouchable? Just social media stir up I'm sure. As usual.
Karl wants us to look into getting Lawson because he's a really good point guard who knows Karl's system. As VF21 said, that doesn't mean now, it means later. He brought in Andre Miller for much the same reason, even though his playing days are probably coming to an end in the next year or two.

And it would be good for everyone to ignore the "story" about Cousins not being untouchable. It's one of the things that front office people say when the team is bad: "Oh believe me, we considered everything." They think it makes them look smart, but in some cases (like this one) it makes them look...not smart.

Our FO in particular seems to have a knack for finding stupid things to say to the media, but then the media also has a knack for running with anything, even if they have to make it up. That's because readers tend to worry about everything they see, which drives readership.

Would the Kings actually trade Cousins? I have a hard time believing that, unless he forces his way out.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
That makes sense, but then why that mess about Karl wanting us to look into get Lawson? For next season then. And Cousins not untouchable? Just social media stir up I'm sure. As usual.
More likely it's one of the factions in our FO leaking crap to the media again, as usual.

Is Cuz on the block? No. Is there an anti-Karl faction in our FO who attempted to stir **** up again? Likely yes, based on how members of our FO have shown they do business. Did people forget we had opposing forces in our FO leaking all over the place up until the day Karl was signed? Apparently. And as I said when Karl was hired, those factions didn't suddenly disappear. We've got a toxic culture, Karl or not. If everyone wanted Karl he'd have been signed and delivered far earlier than he was.

Anyway, tonight will be tough. Hopefully Ben continues playing well, starts stringing good games together and we see more of an understanding of Karl's system with our guys.

More likely it's one of the factions in our FO leaking crap to the media again, as usual.

Is Cuz on the block? No. Is there an anti-Karl faction in our FO who attempted to stir **** up again? Likely yes, based on how members of our FO have shown they do business. Did people forget we had opposing forces in our FO leaking all over the place up until the day Karl was signed? Apparently. And as I said when Karl was hired, those factions didn't suddenly disappear. We've got a toxic culture, Karl or not. If everyone wanted Karl he'd have been signed and delivered far earlier than he was.

Anyway, tonight will be tough. Hopefully Ben continues playing well, starts stringing good games together and we see more of an understanding of Karl's system with our guys.
Ric Bucher + Chris Mullin = Leaks?