• Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kingsfans.com Official Game Thread
Game 4
Sacramento Kings at Denver Nugglets

By Stephen Tetsu, Not Down With the Back-to-Back Lifestyle

This pretty much sums it up.

How much longer before the bubble bursts? How much longer before the Kings stop playing defense and start being crappy again? If this is a dream, please don't wake me up.

For a while there, things didn't look so good. It might be hard to remember looking back after a win but the Kings faced a ten point deficit in the third quarter and Chris Paul seemed to be nearly unstoppable at that point, running the exact same play a thousand times in a row to similar positive results. Also our bench pretty much was doing everything it could to be terrible.

And yet, we won this game on the road, at 12:30 PM, and against a bunch of royal DBs in sleeved jerseys, some of who sported quite possibly the worst set of mustaches ever to grace mankind since the 70s or the local Harley Davison convention. Seriously, if you want to make something you hate even more heritable, just give them a mustache. Robin Thicke? Give him a mustache. Pete Carroll? Give him a mustache. Traffic jam? Give them all mustaches. I know they're doing it all in the name of some sort of cancer charity but there's gotta be a better way to raise awareness than looking like the starting five on To Catch a Predator.

I haven't mentioned Demarcus yet because it's hard to be too complimentary of something you expect to happen. I know it's not very realistic but I have come to expect this sort of monster games on a nightly basis, regardless of the opposition. The man simply is a force of nature, something we haven't seen since the early days of C-Webb, when we didn't have enough of a team around him to keep Rick Adelman from riding Webber into the ground. If Demarcus continues this play this season, there's no way the league can deny him the attention he deserves.

Post of the Game

Tears of joy in the forest right now. At one point I didn't think I've live long enough to have this feeling again. And thanks to all of you for helping share the excitement. Damn... :)

We're all gonna DIEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Pessimism of the Game

Malone sucks!

Now, clippers are leading just like that.

We need a new coach.

Awards Time

Tony Delk Award- Hedo Turkoglu. Once a former King, Hedo has gone on to play for about every other team in the NBA and has pretty much become the last man standing from those glory year teams (aside from Gerald Wallace, who is technically still on the Celtics). As a former King, Hedo saw fit to play like a five year younger version of himself in his limited minutes on the floor.

Jason Hart Award - The entire bench except for Omri, Reggie, and Carl Landry. So really just Ramon Sessions and Nik Stauskas. Just give us something. Please.

All the Oscars- Chris Paul for his continued excellence in being the biggest flopper in the NBA.

Mikki Moore Award-
Blake Griffin, not because he sucks but because he's a pansy and his posturing after Ben knocked him down on the break was comical at best, an immature maneuver at worst. Also, Demarcus pushed him a good five feet when inserted himself between Ben and Blake.

Shareef Abdur Rahim Award- Matt Barnes. Remember when Matt Barnes was on the Kings? No? Good. Keep it that way. Remember when Matt Barnes was considered a good defender? Yeah. Well, those days are gone as Rudy simply ran circles around Sacadict Arnold

WTF Moment of the Game #1 -
Ben McLemore badly misses a couple of wide-open shots then precedes to bank in a three pointer from several feet outside the arc with the shot clock running down and dudes playing pretty good defense on him. That's pretty much Ben in a nutshell.

WTF Moment of the Game #2- Blake Griffin's sleazy stache.

'nuff said.

Spencer Hawes of the Game - This award goes to a man so special he deserves his own category. Having completely, shamelessly transformed into a "stretch"-five, the Hawester spent most of his time in the game sitting around the three point line, piling on 14 points in 22 minutes. But that's not the real reason he wins this award. Rather, with his long, greasy hair and fu-manchu combination, Soggy Waffles is legally required to report his presence when he moves within a half-mile of a school.

The View From the Other Side

Tonight's Game

Herrrrrrroballllllllll.
I don't want to say things are getting easier because that would be a distinct lie. Playing in Denver on the second night of a back to back is always a tough proposition. That said, I feel much more confident about it now than I did after the season opener against Golden State (who currently look like the best team in the Western Conference, for what it's worth).

While the last three teams we've faced are bonafide top-tier playoff teams, the Nuggets are... well, the Nuggets. Even a full year after jettisoning most of the front office and coaching staff, the Nuggets as a whole remain relatively unchanged, even if Brian Shaw is still convinced that he'll one day be able to run the triangle offense in the Mile High City.

But really when two of your top three players are rather undersized for their positions and the other is not exactly a great defender, what other options are there?

And so, while paying lots of lip-service to being a more balanced team, the Nuggets are still a run and gun team at their core, led by the heroballerific Ty Lawson, super hustle player Kenneth Faried, and Aaron Afflalo, who has apparently forgotten how to play defense thanks to his stint in Orlando. Now, in a perfect world scenario, Javale McGee finally gets his act together and provides a defensive anchor to help the Nuggets not get scored on every time they play defense, but Javale is Javale and thus probably going to screw things up as only he can.

On paper, the Nuggets aren't quite the challenge that the Clippers are (they just lost to the Thunder, who are missing one of the best players in the NBA and an all-star point guard) but it's the first back to back of the year and the Kings are coming off the emotional high of the victory in LA.

But we match up well (on paper). Demarcus can crush their big men. The Nuggets don't really have anyone who can match up with Rudy Gay. Nate Robinson is so bad at defense that it might make Ramon Sessions look good. Aaron Afflalo can score now but faces a surprisingly stout backcourt defense. If we rebound like we can rebound, it will limit their transition opportunity and improve our chances by a whole lot

And remember, two victories is exciting but three victories is a streak!

Matchups

Final Thoughts and Prediction

Let's take that next step. I predict a Kings win 98-93. Let's do this.

Go Kings!!!

(This post currently under construction. I'm sick so no guarantees I finish it tonight)​

I just hope the guys don't get too excited about the victory in LA and they stay focused for this game. It's a big challenge for a young team that is doing something good for the first time.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
From the first line of the yahoo game preview:

After posting the NBA's worst field-goal defense over the last eight seasons, the Sacramento Kings are showing early signs of finally reaching a turning point.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kings-nuggets-preview-050108546--nba.html
I suspected as much but had not seen the confirmation before. My lord have these past 8 seasons been brutal. Just totally ignoring half the game season in and season out.

Last edited:
Good news about Denver they have only scored 82 91 points vs okc and Detroit. Also they have shot 27% and 26% from 3 with Affflolo and Gallinari struggling so far. We just gotta contain lawson not worried about faried at all.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Thompson is, once again, the linchpin to this game. While Faried is not as "talented" as either Aldridge or Griffin, he moves on the court in ways that those guys don't, in ways that don't play to Thompson's strengths defensively, like Griffin does. Plus, he's damn near a psychopath when it comes to pursuing the offensive boards.

Faried is the engine that makes that team go; he creates plays that gets both the team and the crowd going. If Thompson can negate his hustle, the Nuggets can't beat us.

K

KingMilz

Going to be hard going back to back in Denver but the team should be more "mentally" fresh heading in with a win under there belt, keep in mind this is the same Denver Nuggets that got mauled by the offensive beast himself Kendrick Perkins who went like 6/7 for 15/17 points on them.

They got no one to stop Cousins but they do have guys who could bother Rudy in Gallo and Chandler, going to love watching DC vs Lawson a lighting vs thunder type match up.

It will be interesting how we play Aaron Afflallo who loves to post up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings have been much, much better this year about getting back on D. This game is going to be the max-out test for just that. They've got to keep the TOs down to prevent having to get back on D quickly in the first place.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
let's not be content with winning just one road game, let's go get another tonight and hold the fourth consecutive team to under 100 points, what do you say Kings? ;)

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Slow Mozgov will not be able to handle Cousins, have to watch the turnovers against a team like Denver who likes to run. Ty Lawson needs to be walled from the paint by "big ball". I'm not sure Afflalo will be able to post up if we stick a big 2 guard such as Omri on him, but he is a decent passer for a SG in the post, look to see a cutting Faried with a few passes from guard post ups. Chandler does not have the length or size or contest Rudy, but he does have quickness and he is quite strong. Gallo is coming off a few serious injuries in seasons past.

I don't want to get too cocky or confident, but here's just a little booster for us. OKC blew the nuggets out with only 8 players. Ibaka, Adams, and Perkins combined scored more than half their team's points. I hope we can get a W. They key to this game will be our defense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We're going to have to do this a couple of months before we can even start to talk about getting cocky or over confident about a road game.

Would love to win this one though. It would put us in real position to survive this first month, and I sense an different attitude this time that might let us actually follow through with that. If we could get to 3-1, then we'd still have a 9 of 13 on the road against tough competition thing coming up, but even if we went 4-9 through it we'd be 7-10 and having survived the worst part of our schedule still alive and kicking. Despite the new attitude, it has to be fragile until we prove it to ourselves, so let's run this out a bit. Start getting a little of that swagger legitimately.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It probably won't be easy, being the second half of a back-to-back and played at altitude, but we've had two very strong games in a row now. If we don't get gassed, I think we can come away with this one.

The key here aside from continuing our defensive effort will be limiting turnovers. You limit the turnovers and you won't have to chase Ty Lawson in the Rockies on the 2nd game of a back to back.

It probably won't be easy, being the second half of a back-to-back and played at altitude, but we've had two very strong games in a row now. If we don't get gassed, I think we can come away with this one.
Hopefully Kings W tonight with no excuses if it's an L - particularly whining about the usual you mention. Spurs and Coach Pop are not complaining at all when they're forced each season to go on annual rodeo road trip (December/January) of up to ten consecutive games away, gone from San Antonio for 25 straight days or more. Amazingly, they consistently perform very well on the trip in Coach Pop's nearly two decade era, despite couple back-to-backs on said road trip and of course playing game in mile high Denver as well when part of the trip.

We need to get some bench contributions and some shots have to start falling for our SG's. DMC and Gay cant carry us every night, im expecting Sessions to finally contribute something tonight. I think we match up well but the eb and flow of an NBA season points this as a loss. A win here and we all of a sudden are onto something. Just need to survive this first month.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think Collison played about 39 minutes yesterday and is in Denver tonight on a back to back....probably going to need some production and minutes from Sessions tonight. With Faried, I think we may see Evans a little more tonight to help keep him off the boards. Got a great chance for a 3 game winning streak tonight.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think any team should have to come into Denver on the second night of a back-to-back. The elevation is going to be our toughest hurdle. Bobby J just mentioned it in the pre-game and it has to be considered. Playing at 5280 ft. is considerably different than playing at sea level.

I think Collison played about 39 minutes yesterday and is in Denver tonight on a back to back....probably going to need some production and minutes from Sessions tonight. With Faried, I think we may see Evans a little more tonight to help keep him off the boards. Got a great chance for a 3 game winning streak tonight.
Also a good excuse to play Ray. Malone can't let the Fellas get too gassed in the Mile High City!

Keep the turnovers under 15 and DeMarcus please no cheap fouls.
Coach Malone, don't rest all 5 starters together for extended time and don't play Derrick Williams

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bill Herenda was on the pre-game show. Not sure who he is, but I'm convinced my purple slippers have a higher BB-IQ than he does. :p