• Vivek Ranadive

Votes: 28 65.1%

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kingsfans.com Official Game Thread
Game 37
Sacramento Kings versus Denver Nuggets

By Stephen Tetsu, I have a rice cooker and I'm not afraid to use it.

Who got this defense in my Nellieball????!!!

Forgot there was a Kings game tonight (which pretty much says everything you need to know about my current feelings about the team) so pretty much going to have to cut down the write-up because I have to be awake for work in eight hours and I made a stupid New Year's Resolution to get more sleep AND it's only January.

UNDER CONSTRUCTIONISH

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Denver has been playing much better since the beginning of the year when the Kings played them. With that being said, DeMarcus should absolutely feast on them inside, no more Mozgov and I believe they are starting a rookie center in Jusuf Nurkic so it's going to be rough pickens for the rook. I hope they continue their defensive intensity in this one because Denver can put up points. I'm still waiting on their fire sale, it's bound to happen....I hope we get in on one of their players, they can be obtained, question is do the Kings have anything they want.

On the poll question: If Ty can establish and maintain a gritty chippy defensive personality for the team (hinted at yesterday), he will win over the fan base as the "anti-Pete" and I will be happy to have him as coach. It is a big IF. But let him "bring the Sloan" and I'm ready to be won over. Better than Mullin.

G

GQ_Gabriel

Ring up another Kings win!

It will be closer than the OKC game, but we'll pull through and ride this wave of confidence.

I expect DMC to destroy the Nuggets as usual.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the poll question: If Ty can establish and maintain a gritty chippy defensive personality for the team (hinted at yesterday), he will win over the fan base as the "anti-Pete" and I will be happy to have him as coach. It is a big IF. But let him "bring the Sloan" and I'm ready to be won over. Better than Mullin.
Lots of stuff I want to respond to packed into a short post.

First off, I completely agree about Mullin. Rolling him out as a first time head coach next season would be a disaster IMO. If it goes about how I'd expect then that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me honestly.

As for Corbin - I have always thought he was a decent coach. I'm not upset that he's the head coach of the Kings. I AM very frustrated that the move was made at an incredibly disruptive time when the Kings appeared to be improving. But I agree, if we see the effort from the Kings from last game for the rest of the season (presumably with a better FG% and ideally with more assists and fewer turnovers) then I'd absolutely be in favor of Corbin returning. Honestly, that's what I'm hoping for. At some point this team has to start developing some consistency. If Corbin is the guy then at least we aren't starting over again.

But personally I'm not sure it matters how well Corbin does - I think there will be a new coach next season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I expect DMC to destroy the Nuggets as usual.
I seem to recall that in our early meetings with the Nuggets we were begging them NOT to take Nurkic out of the game because Boogie was repeatedly taking him to the cleaners. With Mozgov traded, Nurkic is now the starter. Let the feast begin!

I seem to recall that in our early meetings with the Nuggets we were begging them NOT to take Nurkic out of the game because Boogie was repeatedly taking him to the cleaners. With Mozgov traded, Nurkic is now the starter. Let the feast begin!
I hope Cuz's rehab let's him play at his best, on both ends of the floor. I guess nothing is new, we need a good game from most of our guys and a good team game on defense.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nurkic is an intriguing young player. Strong & big bodied but with surprising footwork and touch. I forget which site dubbed him the Bosnian Boogie but that's not far off. Very DeMarcus-like in some way. I'd say DeMarcus-lite but I think he probably has a few pounds on our guy. The Nuggets made a great trade sending Mozgov to the Cavs for two 1st rounders. Sure, the picks will be late (OKC and Mem) but they get a chance to add some quality depth while also opening a starting spot for Nurkic who is going to be a much better player than Mozgov if he stays healthy and keeps developing.

Nurkic has the highest PER of all rookies at nearly 19. The only guy close is Mirotic who has a lot more experience than anybody else in the rookie class. Nurkic is improving Denver's defense when he's in and his scoring and rebounding continue to improve. I sure hope Cousins schools him tonight because I think Nurkic is going to become a tough matchup for Boogie sooner than later.

Nurkic is an intriguing young player. Strong & big bodied but with surprising footwork and touch. I forget which site dubbed him the Bosnian Boogie but that's not far off. Very DeMarcus-like in some way. I'd say DeMarcus-lite but I think he probably has a few pounds on our guy. The Nuggets made a great trade sending Mozgov to the Cavs for two 1st rounders. Sure, the picks will be late (OKC and Mem) but they get a chance to add some quality depth while also opening a starting spot for Nurkic who is going to be a much better player than Mozgov if he stays healthy and keeps developing.

Nurkic has the highest PER of all rookies at nearly 19. The only guy close is Mirotic who has a lot more experience than anybody else in the rookie class. Nurkic is improving Denver's defense when he's in and his scoring and rebounding continue to improve. I sure hope Cousins schools him tonight because I think Nurkic is going to become a tough matchup for Boogie sooner than later.
I like him. Have him on my kfs.com fantasy team cause Larry sanders has gone off to wherever he is with whatever mystery mental or physical ailment he has.

Anyone still want Larry sanders? :)

get him on the kings. now. we wont have to change our style without boogie on the floor, putting every other player in a comfortable position where they can focus one specific skills to maximize their worth in a consistent system

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
IMO I think he's on the block along with Sessions.
I love it. A guy hits the bench? "He's on the block!" A guy starts getting more playing time? "Showcase! He's on the block!"

Casspi is hurt with a knee injury. I believe they're calling it a bruise. Hopefully he will be back in action soon, but apparently he's not playing tonight.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I went ice skating a year ago and landed on my knee (stupid toe pick!). It took months before it stopped hurting.

Nurkic is actually a really nice prospect at C. Good skill, footwork and size, good bball IQ and also has length. At this point Cousins should be able to get him in foul trouble though. Once he grows into his frame, adds muscle and gets experience I think he will be one of the better C's in the league, maybe 3 or 4 years from now. He's the anti AAU big man that we see these days, our American bigs are just big athletes with no fundamentals(Boogie is an exception). Nurkic has strong fundamentals, just needs to fill out into an NBA body(much like the Gasol brothers, Nurkic won't be that good though, maybe a poor mans version of those guys.)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I love it. A guy hits the bench? "He's on the block!" A guy starts getting more playing time? "Showcase! He's on the block!"

Casspi is hurt with a knee injury. I believe they're calling it a bruise. Hopefully he will be back in action soon, but apparently he's not playing tonight.
Party pooper. Conspiracy theories are so much more fun.