Funding an arena

Sketcher said:
In my view if the Maloofs do have conceptual plans for a new arena perhaps they should have released them to the public earlier to help build support. John Saca has been very successful getting deposits and proceeding with construction of his downtown condo towers project with nothing more than a good marketing program supported by slick illustrations. What comes first, figuring out the financing dilemma or creating a conceptual design? IMHO a picture tells a thousand words and creates an emotional response (hopefully positive). Unless people can visual an idea or concept it doesn't exist. In order to build support you've got to stimulate the imagination and appeal to the senses. Many of life decisions are based upon emotion. Logic and reason only takes you so far and ultimately you choose to buy or do something because "it just feels right". I believe the public will get onboard if they can see what they are getting.
To compare the condo deal with the arena deal is really comparing projects that can't be compared. John Saca only has to convince private lenders that he has a realistic development budget, timeline and prices that will work on the Sacramento market inorder to finance the deal. He only has to ask the city to approve the project design and location. The city isn't going to give him one dime.

Big developers spend a LOT of money on all the predevelopment work, including the architectural design (and architects are expensive). However, if it doesn't sell, because they miscalcuted the market or planned poorly, it is Saca and any investors who lose their money or at least any profit if they have to reduce sales prices. Development is a high risk business, but brings big profit, if it works. Not only that, Saca isn't building condos to run a business. He builds them, he'll sell them and then he's on to something else.

On the other hand, perhaps a better comparison would be the high quality hotels that the city wanted. The city spent millions building the community center and convention center (and millions more to rehab it recently). Problem? It was not paying for itself, it was not attracting conventions as they'd hoped. (They built it and they didn't come.) One of the main reasons being lack of quality hotel rooms nearby. None of the big hoteliers wanted to build here. Why? All their marketing studies indicated the market here would not allow them to make a profit.

Enter the Hyatt Regency. The City had to offer them a huge financial incentive to even build here and then had to gurantee they would profit. How, by spending millions more to make up the operational shortfalls the hotel suffered for many years. In other words, the hoteliers were right. They couldn't make enough money here to operate a quality hotel at a profit. Not for a long time. Both the Sheraton and Embassy Suites were enticed here by City financial incentives/contributions.

Cities all over this country spend a lot of public money to bring businesses to their communites and to keep them in their communities. Hyatt, Sheraton and Embassy Suites all have "rich owners." They could finance their own hotels. Building isn't the problem, keeping a business profitable after you build is the problem. Its really simple. You can't pay cash for a house, so you borrow. But it won't do you any good if you can't make enough money to pay the mortgage. The Maloofs money is invested in their many businesses. Not likely they have wads of cash sitting around to invest in an arena. Like any business person, they borrow from banks and then have to pay back the debt by being profitable.

Therein lies the problem. If they built an arena with a cash "downpayment" and borrowed the rest at commerical interest rates, its unlikely they would be able to pay the debt. The Kings, Monarchs and other arena events, don't produce enough revenue stream to pay a huge debt. Or you'd have to raise ticket prices so high, you'd definitely lose customers and still go bankrupt. Remember, until the Kings made the post-season, the Kings ran in the red. The Sacramento Bee, checked out the books twice over several years. The original Kings ownership had to sell, because they were going bankrupt. And the City loans to the franchise were to keep the franchise from going under financially (Cheap tickets to events at Arco were not cutting it, no matter how much we liked it.)

Pro sports owners are not generally getting wealthy operating a sports team. Where they ultimately get the profit is from the increasing value of the franchise over the years, which they don't realize until they sell. (Same as a homeowner. I'm house rich in California, but I can't spend it unless I sell or use it to get a loan.) Of course, for the Maloofs owning the Kings is a pleasure (non-monetary benefit) and good advertising for them (that has financial value). Those two things also have a value to the City.

Bottom line, the Maloofs need some public help with the financing of an arena. And if I were them, I'd see no reason to spend a lot on architectural designs, until I know if its a realistic possibility the darn thing will get built. (Because designs are usually site specific, for many reasons. Why waste money?)

Sorry this is long...I get all worked up over this issue.:p

EDIT: This is really weird. I quoted from the other arena thread which is where I thought I was responding and it ended up in this thread.:confused: :confused:

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
kennadog, that was a fantastic post! I enjoyed reading your straightforward and simple breakdown of the differences in building condos, hotels, and an arena. Well written!!

Thanks 6th. I just moved to Yuba city, but lived in Sacramento for close to 40 years. I would like to see the city have a quality entertainment venue. I think its embarrassing that the city has never been able to build an arena or stadium or anything like that. Fresno and Stockton both have nice new arenas for their cities. Both cities built them without a pro sports team owner in sight.

I just can't figure out what the problem is in Sacramento. The utter lack of civic leadership and civic pride on this is ridiculous. Even if people don't care if the Kings leave town, where do they think the other 75% of the events at Arco will take place in a few years? As the Bee reported, there are events already not booking Sacramento on their tours, because the facility is just plain inadequate. I also loved watching the debris falling from the ceiling onto the court during the game a few games ago.:rolleyes: I've seen pictures of the visitors locker room...I had a better locker room in my high school gym, a LOT better. :eek: How embarrassing.:(

So the Kings leave and we still need a new entertainment venue to replace Arco. Guess what? Now you have zero Maloof money to help build it. So letting the Maloofs leave is like flushing money down the drain. Other business owners aren't treated anywhere near this badly.

The Maloofs have been treated so shabby. I'd like to see how many other businesses in town come close to the charitable donations and volunteer time of the Maloofs and the players. So yeah lets's kick them out. :rolleyes: Then they don't spend tens of millions to give Sacramento a classy entertainment venue and the hundreds of thousands in charitable contributions goes elsewhere too. Yeah, that's smart.

Last edited:
Kennadog those were 2 great, well thought out posts. Maybe someone could explain that to the city? I mean they probably wouldn't listen anyways, but it would be very stupid to let the Kings leave Sac. You pointed out how Joe and Gavin have been very good to Sacramento, well we should give them a nice new arena so they don't leave. I don't know, how could people realistically get the city to realize this?

BMiller52 said:
Kennadog those were 2 great, well thought out posts. Maybe someone could explain that to the city? I mean they probably wouldn't listen anyways, but it would be very stupid to let the Kings leave Sac. You pointed out how Joe and Gavin have been very good to Sacramento, well we should give them a nice new arena so they don't leave. I don't know, how could people realistically get the city to realize this?
You know Bmiller52, I don't know how to do it. And its not like the Maloofs aren't willing to spend money on the new arena. They aren't asking to be given something totally for free. They just aren't willing to pay for 100%. They'd like favorable financing, some help in making this thing pencil. Considering that there are cities like Kansas City that has an arena already built, I think that's a pretty good deal for Sacramento. I wish I didn't feel so pessimistic. *sigh*

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just separated out the funding stuff from the sketch thread. We have an entire forum at our disposal so I was trying to get separate discussions going for each of the topics at hand.

Is this okay, kennadog?

;)

There are ways of funding the arena. The city can't do it alone because they just don't have the resources. It has to involve the county as well. A city and county wide food and beverage tax along with a car rental (Sac Intl is county) and hotel tax could easily get the job done. But the county has airport expansion and other big ticket items and doesn't want to share it's potential income sources with a city entity that doesn't want to share it's tax revenue sources either. The city and county are like a big dysfuctional family that does thing for it's own interests and finds it hard to work on something that has mutual benefit for the whole region. The private funding is a nice idea that works for huge cities like LA. They have the corporate base and TV revenues to burn. That's why a team like the Knicks can spend like crazy. Doing a private deal without being a LA or NY likely involves land re-zoning. Which means a developer like AT buys non-development zoned land with low dollar value and works to get it re-zoned for residential and commercial use. This brings in all the "green" orgs that can hold him up in court until my 10 year old son has grandchildren. AT is hoping that an issue like the Kings need for arena will pave the way.

This whole region can't seem to cooperate on anything, from housing to transportation, to you-name-it. I can't remember which stadium/arena I read about, but a sports authority among 11 counties was formed. Why something like that can't happen here, I don't know. Its is just so frustrating.:mad:

kennadog said:
This whole region can't seem to cooperate on anything, from housing to transportation, to you-name-it. I can't remember which stadium/arena I read about, but a sports authority among 11 counties was formed. Why something like that can't happen here, I don't know. Its is just so frustrating.:mad:
I wonder about that too. I think a multi-county effort would be the best plan here. Sacamento has many counties surrounding it that enjoy the Kings and the activities that a good arena could bring. I live in Placer county, and many of my friends have season tickets. My parents live in Nevada County, and several of their friends have season tickets. I know people in Yuba County who have season tickets. It seems like a successful plan to fund a new arena would tap some of these resources in other counties.

The problem is community leadership, or lack thereof.

1) There are regional pseudo-governmental organizations in California. I apologize for not being more specific. These organizations (like BART) were formed through partnerships between various cities and counties with common interests. There is a regional park system in the east San Francisco Bay area. Regional organizations have created some major infrastructure and community project. Unfortunately, establishment of effective and chartered regional organizations requires groups of individuals with experience and political connections. It is not easy to do and requires governmental cooperation and money. Everything requires money.

2) I wonder if it would be possible, or more importantly financially viable, to establish private funding for a new arena as an investment. I apologize for not being more specific. It may well be apples and oranges, but the citizens of Green Bay, Wisconsin ponied up the money for the Packers sometime back in the late Pleistocene. Fans in Green bay seem to be pretty happy with their situation. I'll bet the Packers would have "gone South" years ago had the team not been locally-owned. Again, establishment of an effective corporation designed to buld an arena would require groups of individuals with experience and political connections. Again, it would require cooperation and money. Everything requires money.

I suspect that all the recent development schemes have involved a relatively small number of very wealthy individuals, each with a hidden agenda (making money). I also suspect that nobody has approached this project from the position of a Kings fan.

This stuff is beyond me.

My roomate and I have thought of a plan where it could generate some revenue and interest in the public building a new arena. Have a state of the art multi-purpose arena, made of brick(not entirely obviously), where the fans can pay anywhere from $100-$500 to get their names inscribed or messages written to be built with the new arena. That way the 6th man is truly felt with names, and messages on bricks through out the building. Hundreds of thousands of brick is truly possible, and I know I would pay a couple hundred to have my name put on some bricks where I could potentially see my name when going to a Kings game.

I think when people hear the words TAX INCREASE they freak out and it turns out to be a negative, but this is truly positive and beneficial. There are many hard core fans who would like this idea, and It could help generate some serious revenue, along with the Maloofs, and some private businesses and wealthy business men we could get it to happen. Tell me what you think of this idea, and whether or not anybody thinks this is a logical and feasible idea.

Kings2805 said:
My roomate and I have thought of a plan where it could generate some revenue and interest in the public building a new arena. Have a state of the art multi-purpose arena, made of brick(not entirely obviously), where the fans can pay anywhere from $100-$500 to get their names inscribed or messages written to be built with the new arena. That way the 6th man is truly felt with names, and messages on bricks through out the building. Hundreds of thousands of brick is truly possible, and I know I would pay a couple hundred to have my name put on some bricks where I could potentially see my name when going to a Kings game.

I think when people hear the words TAX INCREASE they freak out and it turns out to be a negative, but this is truly positive and beneficial. There are many hard core fans who would like this idea, and It could help generate some serious revenue, along with the Maloofs, and some private businesses and wealthy business men we could get it to happen. Tell me what you think of this idea, and whether or not anybody thinks this is a logical and feasible idea.
I like that you're thinking out of the box, but even if you got 10,000 hardcore fans to contribute $300 each and 50 businesses to contribute $20,000 each that's just $4 million, a drop in the proverbial bucket. Although if we combined that with corporate ads on the backboards... or retiring more numbers for a couple million a pop... #7 for 7UP, #57 for Heinz, we might have something.
~~

Alacron said:
I like that you're thinking out of the box, but even if you got 10,000 hardcore fans to contribute $300 each and 50 businesses to contribute $20,000 each that's just $4 million, a drop in the proverbial bucket. Although if we combined that with corporate ads on the backboards... or retiring more numbers for a couple million a pop... #7 for 7UP, #57 for Heinz, we might have something.
~~
It is a drop in the bucket, but it could be a way to send a message about how serious some citizens are about getting a new public arena.