Free Agency Thread - 2018

I wonder if Dallas ever gets tired of players backing out of agreements with them.....DeAndre Jordan, Yogi
Things are changing with the new CBA

Teams want to sign people in order, but have players wait after a verbal agreement to get everything just right. Teams will rescind qualifying offers, trade players who they made promises with. If a trade or FA situation comes to the team before they actually signed a player they may later balk.

I think the verbal agreements are going to mean less over time.

But yes I'm sure they are annoyed.

Wiggins salaries
25M, 27M, 29M

Thats 81 MILLION dollars for three years of meh.

Thats.a.no!
Yeah I’m not a big fan of taking on Wiggins but I guess it depends on who we’re getting rid of and if any picks are coming back. I’d be more comfortable letting Bogie or Buddy try their hand at 3 while JJ grows into that role and be patient with the cap space than panick and commit to such a long term contract for a questionable scorer with tunnel vision.

Wolves apparently has exploratory talks about Wiggins for Derozen, so the kings have nothing they would want . Unless they are desperate to get out of his contract, then we could provide cap relief

They are desparate. They need to carve out space for 2019, so they can sign a Kyrie-type friend of Jimmy, or else Butler will walk.

I’ve spent the past three weeks almost talking myself into Wiggins. If there’s a guy in the league who is a parallel narrative to pre-Kings Webber, it’s Wiggins. The argument for would go somethin like: he didn’t plateau until Thibs got there and it’s becoming painfully obvious that Thibs was a man fashioned for an already bygone era. Allegedly, Thibs and Butler don’t like Towns either, which is simply ridiculous. Butler has now blown up two locker rooms—the guy might just be perpetually angry at all hos co-workers.

In short, Wiggins might....might....snap right back on track if he traded and given his own team again. But, it’s a big bet.

They are desparate. They need to carve out space for 2019, so they can sign a Kyrie-type friend of Jimmy, or else Butler will walk.

I’ve spent the past three weeks almost talking myself into Wiggins. If there’s a guy in the league who is a parallel narrative to pre-Kings Webber, it’s Wiggins. The argument for would go somethin like: he didn’t plateau until Thibs got there and it’s becoming painfully obvious that Thibs was a man fashioned for an already bygone era. Allegedly, Thibs and Butler don’t like Towns either, which is simply ridiculous. Butler has now blown up two locker rooms—the guy might just be perpetually angry at all hos co-workers.

In short, Wiggins might....might....snap right back on track if he traded and given his own team again. But, it’s a big bet.
Would they have money to sign Irving even if they traded away Wiggins? KAT has a $19mill cap hold.

I don't see Minnesota dumping Wiggins. What if they dump Wiggins, but Butler decides to leave in FA next year? They'd only have KAT left to show for....

that's pretty devastating considering they could've had:
Dunn
LaVine
Wiggins
Markannen
KAT

For that possibility alone, I don't see Minnesota dumping Wiggins.

Im not going to complain about Bjelica and Ferrell a players. Ferrell can be a solid backup and Bjelica can be solid, though I don't agree with his age and not getting youth

But, Capela. I just watched coming to terms with role players over making the move for the solid young positive starter.

I understand the positional concerns, etc, but its not something I agreed with

The team needed a major acquisition this offseason

Im not going to complain about Bjelica and Ferrell a players. Ferrell can be a solid backup and Bjelica can be solid, though I don't agree with his age and not getting youth

But, Capela. I just watched coming to terms with role players over making the move for the solid young positive starter.

I understand the positional concerns, etc, but its not something I agreed with

The team needed a major acquisition this offseason
What makes you think that Capela wants to come to Sacramento? Just because we have money?

What makes you think that Capela wants to come to Sacramento? Just because we have money?
It was us, or play chicken with a lowballing Houston as his options.. He may not have chosen Sacramento, but he may have liked our offer sheet to try to get matched by Houston..

If he didn't, he must not have really wanted to be here

I would definitely take Wiggins and his contract, if we can keep our young core of Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Giles and Bagley intact.

Wiggins is a legit 20 ppg wing player.

We could send them WCS (KAT's buddy) and filler/expiring contracts of Randolph, KK or Shumpert for Wiggins. I would even consider sending one of Skal, JJ, or Mason (if required).

Kings would be real fun and fast:

PF Bagley / Skal
SF Wiggins / JJ / Ben
C Giles / KK / Davis
SG Bogdan / Buddy
PG Fox / Yogi / Mason

Last edited: