Free Agency Thread - 2018

Napier and Smart seem so doable but because #KANGZ, we won't for some reason.

this team is so frustrating.
The Celtics could pay us and send us lottery picks and they still would not do it and rather sign Nick Young, I can't believe that after every team basically allowed us to sign us outright we still don't amazing.

I wouldnt mind seeing us shore up the PG position. If Fox or Bogdan go down that leaves too many mins for Mason or Temple, not a scenario I want. I almost prefer this to addressing the SFspot.
How good of option is Napier?
Napier was actually a really important piece for the Blazers last year and played really well off of CJ and Dame as the third guard. Had a breakout year in pretty much all facets of his game and became a really, really solid PG. Honestly surprised he hasn't been picked up, he's a good upgrade for pretty much any bench.

Good shooter/scorer, good defender, plays within himself, good exp next to ball-dominant guards and remained effective (a big reason I liked FVV too), and pretty much all the advanced stats show he was an impact player that really helped the Blazers. He wasn't quite FVV good last year, and he's a couple years older, but this is a good player who would make us better. I'd love to try and sneak a 3 year deal if we could at 6-7 mil a year to lock him up through his prime and know we have a quality back-up PG taken care of.

Napier was actually a really important piece for the Blazers last year and played really well off of CJ and Dame as the third guard. Had a breakout year in pretty much all facets of his game and became a really, really solid PG. Honestly surprised he hasn't been picked up, he's a good upgrade for pretty much any bench.

Good shooter/scorer, good defender, plays within himself, good exp next to ball-dominant guards and remained effective (a big reason I liked FVV too), and pretty much all the advanced stats show he was an impact player that really helped the Blazers. He wasn't quite FVV good last year, and he's a couple years older, but this is a good player who would make us better. I'd love to try and sneak a 3 year deal if we could at 6-7 mil a year to lock him up through his prime and know we have a quality back-up PG taken care of.
We have 19.5 mil we can offer, 13 mil to RFA Hood 2 yr plus team option, make Cavs match, then 6.5 for Napier
SF and backup PG

Players to take a swing at:

Napier - it's a no-brainer to make him an offer. At the very least, Mason needs the competition. This team needs help with the backup point guard slot, and if Fox goes down with injury for any length of time it really could spell doom for the season if there are no pg additions to the roster. I really don't want Bogs to man that position, as I think he's better at the 2 in a up tempo game.

Harrell - he is a beefy, physical, tough, competitive, high energy motor guy who would complement Giles and Bagley. He killed the Kings last year. Granted, this move would make more sense with one less front court guy on the roster. My vote is for trading WCS. This current team only has one physical "tough guy" presently - Koufos. If the roster stays the same as it is, and Koufos goes down with injury at the beginning of the season, heaven help us. Over an 82-game season I'm not relying on three slender kids (Bagley, Giles and Skal) to be the tough physical bangers that Koufos is, and I'm certainly not looking to WCS for that either.

Hood - He's a versatile two-way player at the 3 and will give some competition to JJ. There's no reason not to take a swing for him. I thought he was was very good in Utah. His best years are ahead of him.

If the Kings want to improve their win total by around ten to get up to the 37 or more win total next year, they must, absolutely must, have a strong bench. They aren't going to win a lot against teams because of their starting five due to the fact that they are young and inexperienced. They need to have a bench that can beat up on teams that may have better starting fives, but weaker benches. All three of the above positions - point guard, center, and small forward need to be strengthened before the season begins. If they aren't strengthened significantly, I will have doubts about the success of the upcoming season.

Players to take a swing at:

Napier - it's a no-brainer to make him an offer. At the very least, Mason needs the competition. This team needs help with the backup point guard slot, and if Fox goes down with injury for any length of time it really could spell doom for the season if there are no pg additions to the roster. I really don't want Bogs to man that position, as I think he's better at the 2 in a up tempo game.

Harrell - he is a beefy, physical, tough, competitive, high energy motor guy who would complement Giles and Bagley. He killed the Kings last year. Granted, this move would make more sense with one less front court guy on the roster. My vote is for trading WCS. This current team only has one physical "tough guy" presently - Koufos. If the roster stays the same as it is, and Koufos goes down with injury at the beginning of the season, heaven help us. Over an 82-game season I'm not relying on three slender kids (Bagley, Giles and Skal) to be the tough physical bangers that Koufos is, and I'm certainly not looking to WCS for that either.

Hood - He's a versatile two-way player at the 3 and will give some competition to JJ. There's no reason not to take a swing for him. I thought he was was very good in Utah. His best years are ahead of him.

If the Kings want to improve their win total by around ten to get up to the 37 or more win total next year, they must, absolutely must, have a strong bench. They aren't going to win a lot against teams because of their starting five due to the fact that they are young and inexperienced. They need to have a bench that can beat up on teams that may have better starting fives, but weaker benches. All three of the above positions - point guard, center, and small forward need to be strengthened before the season begins. If they aren't strengthened significantly, I will have doubts about the success of the upcoming season.
Hood does make sense but also not sure if that is who they want long term. I don’t think he’s a 2 way guy but he could help scoring.

I think a sign-and-trade is a very real option now. I outlune idea in the other thread but

Sign and trade vonleh to a team that needs a big. Suggestion vonleh (or Harrell) for pat beverly.

Gets us much needed pg/defender, gets them some help up front.

What if boston really wants smart? How about sign and trade smart for rozier? They have kyrie and could eaily resign larkin (Mack, Ulis, Napier, etc.)

Last edited:
Hood does make sense but also not sure if that is who they want long term. I don’t think he’s a 2 way guy but he could help scoring.
I watched Hood fairly closely in the playoffs and was pretty impressed with his defense. At this point, I think he's clearly ahead of JJ in that regard. Even if JJ gives a good performance this coming year at SF, we don't have a backup at this point. Whether it's Hood or someone else, we need another small forward on this team.

I watched Hood fairly closely in the playoffs and was pretty impressed with his defense. At this point, I think he's clearly ahead of JJ in that regard. Even if JJ gives a good performance this coming year at SF, we don't have a backup at this point. Whether it's Hood or someone else, we need another small forward on this team.
Don’t disagree he’s better than JJ. I outlined something in Parker thread. Do you give Hood a 3-4 year deal at say 16 mill or do you play poker and wait for a team like Miami who wants to offload contracts to get a young asset or Winslow. I don’t know if Hood is the guy

Don’t disagree he’s better than JJ. I outlined something in Parker thread. Do you give Hood a 3-4 year deal at say 16 mill or do you play poker and wait for a team like Miami who wants to offload contracts to get a young asset or Winslow. I don’t know if Hood is the guy
I think the Kings have done enough waiting. I'm not sold on Winslow. I think Hood is better. I'd make it a 3 year deal, long enough so that he's invested in the Kings, short enough so it gives the Kings some financial flexibility. I'm not sure what the $ amount should be.

Here is the cap breakdown in Cleveland after the Channing Frye signing ($2.4M veteran exception with a $1.5M cap hit): The Cavaliers now up to $111.9 million in salary with 11 guaranteed contracts and 2 players with non-guaranteed, Kendrick Perkins and Okaro White. The contract for White has $750K guaranteed if the forward is not waived by August 5. The Cavaliers still have restricted free agent Rodney Hood unsigned and are currently $11.9 million below the tax.

Time for that RFA Offer to Hood
2 yr 13 mil 1st yr see if they match

Here is the cap breakdown in Cleveland after the Channing Frye signing ($2.4M veteran exception with a $1.5M cap hit): The Cavaliers now up to $111.9 million in salary with 11 guaranteed contracts and 2 players with non-guaranteed, Kendrick Perkins and Okaro White. The contract for White has $750K guaranteed if the forward is not waived by August 5. The Cavaliers still have restricted free agent Rodney Hood unsigned and are currently $11.9 million below the tax.

Time for that RFA Offer to Hood
2 yr 13 mil 1st yr see if they match
I think that 111.9 million includes the Cavs cap hold for Hood. To push the Cavs over the Luxury Tax, we would probably need to give our whole 19.5 mil of our remaining cap.

I think that 111.9 million includes the Cavs cap hold for Hood. To push the Cavs over the Luxury Tax, we would probably need to give our whole 19.5 mil of our remaining cap.
No I checked spotrac, the 111.3 includes 13 players including the 2 non-guaranteed , before Hood

so 13 mil puts them into the tax, but they could dump Perkins 2.5m but then would need a cheap rookie 14 min roster spots at 1.5mil
to get 14 right at the tax line - maybe 14 would put them into tax for sure? we would still have money to hunt down a third PG from Summer League

Oh yeah tie up Gabriel on a 2 way please

Last edited: