Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

I am going to start this thread for reaction and discussion to the bevy signings likely happening in the next couple of hours.....

WOW! Paul George to OKC.

Danny Ainge strikes out again! :)

Magic Johnson half-baked plan goes up in smoke! :)

I knew Magic was fooling himself to send his best player to Brooklyn with not enough on his roster to entice the Pacers. Ha-ha, rookie GM swings and misses....of course they will try to rationalize George to the Thunder as a rental. Could be, Westbrook will have to befriend George and get along on and off the court better than he did with KD!

I still like this trade for the Thunder and the Pacers. The Pacers get a starting SG and PF to go with Turner at center. That's a sweet haul. The risk for the Thunder is George goes West after next season but I like this risk. Oladipo wasn't working as well as planned. If they can add one more star to go with Adams they can challenge the Warriors.

MOD NOTE: I'm adding a link to the SBNation Free Agency tracking page.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/30/15897582/2017-nba-free-agency-signings-tracker

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to start this thread for reaction and discussion to the bevy signings likely happening in the next couple of hours.....

WOW! Paul George to OKC.

Danny Ainge strikes out again! :)

Magic Johnson half-baked plan goes up in smoke! :)

I knew Magic was fooling himself to send his best player to Brooklyn with not enough on his roster to entice the Pacers. Ha-ha, rookie GM swings and misses....of course they will try to rationalize George to the Thunder as a rental. Could be, Westbrook will have to befriend George and get along on and off the court better than he did with KD!

I still like this trade for the Thunder and the Pacers. The Pacers get a starting SG and PF to go with Turner at center. That's a sweet haul. The risk for the Thunder is George goes West after next season but I like this risk. Oladipo wasn't working as well as planned. If they can add one more star to go with Adams they can challenge the Warriors.
Worst case scenario for the Thunder (and for Laker hating Kings fans) is that the two L.A. guys - Paul George and Russell Westbrook decide next summer when they are both free agents to head home to play for the Lakers.

I'm hearing Jeff Teague to the Timberwolves for a $55 million deal.
Serious upgrade for the Wolves. I watched a lot of Wolves games to end last season (rooting for them in futility to win) and Rubio was miserable for them when opponents dared him to score. With Teague, Butler, Wiggins and Towns this team can contend for Top 4 seed in the West. ( They still need more outside shooting. )

OUCH: Oladipo is due 21M + 21M + 21M + 21M = 84M over the next 4 seasons. May have to reconsider this trade from the Pacers side. They just paid a guy like he's an all-star who has been anything but....

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Worst case scenario for the Thunder (and for Laker hating Kings fans) is that the two L.A. guys - Paul George and Russell Westbrook decide next summer when they are both free agents to head home to play for the Lakers.
I don't see Russ leaving OKC, he seems like a ride or die type of guy.

I think Iggy is looking for security, something GSW can't offer. He probably wants a 3/4 year deal starting at 20M
A third year to Iggy is where we have to draw the line. A third year with a team option or small buyout would be okay.

He's been in the league 12 years. I think he'd be eligible for a starting salary of around 25M. But Iggy is 33 years old. But he's in phenomenal shape and only been averaging 26 MPG over the last three seasons.

I would be comfortable with 2 year 50 M contract with a team option for a third year. The Spurs are meeting with him at midnight too so we are going to have to pony up to get him.

Frank Isola‏Verified account@FisolaNYDN 2m2 minutes ago
More
Source close to free agent Paul Millsap says Denver and Minnesota have emerged as frontrunners. Sacramento and Phoenix still in the mix.

If Minnesota gets Millsap then the Spurs should consider rebuilding. You never know if teams are going to put it together on the floor but that Wolves team should be locking down that number 2 in the west spot. They might end up being the Warriors medicine out west.

If Minnesota gets Millsap then the Spurs should consider rebuilding. You never know if teams are going to put it together on the floor but that Wolves team should be locking down that number 2 in the west spot. They might end up being the Warriors medicine out west.
You don't rebuild when you have when one of Top 5 players in the NBA in his prime.

You don't rebuild when you have when one of Top 5 players in the NBA in his prime.

The Lakers did it with Kobe and proceeded to win a few more rings. They don't think tear it down, but if they can't make some worthwhile changes perhaps hanging onto some cap space and thinking more long term is the best thing.

I'm hearing Jeff Teague to the Timberwolves for a $55 million deal.
I read about Teague to Minny a couple hours ago. Apparently the Knicks dropped their pursuit because they felt Teague to the Wolves was a done deal. All of this is interesting considering that teams aren't supposed to be talking or negotiating with these guys until just now.

I think we have a good shot at Iggy. Who else can pay him 2/50? Its an overpay but the guy is pro! We are not getting Otto.

Options are drying up. Strike while the iron is hot Vlade! Then sign Lawson for 2/10 and we're done before midnight. ;)