Frank Mason

Kings are bringing him in for a second workout. He's probably on the short list for #34. I like the idea of drafting him.
Bobby Jackson was speaking highly of this kid on the Locked on Kings podcast. He was at the first workout. B-Jax said he didn't think he would last to 2nd round so we may have to acquire another 1st rounder to get him. He looks about the same height and weight as Isaiah. (He's listed at 5"11 but that may be a stretch). I don't think he has the same speed as Isaiah but combination of strength quickness and low center of gravity allows him to get to places on the floor.

He scored 21 PPG on 62.2% TS with a 26% usage and 2.2 assist to TO. That's outstanding. (Of course he did it as a senior).

Last edited:
I like Frank Mason a lot.

He's a bulldog on both ends of the floor.

I think there's a very good chance he's there at #34.

He reminds me of Yogi Ferrell or Pierre Jackson. Or even Isaiah Thomas had the Kings not grabbed him at #60. The kind of player that gets overlooked, goes undrafted and then impresses overseas or in the D-League only to get called up to the NBA and impress.

He's not my first choice at #34 but if other players are already gone (Juwan Evans, Semi Ojeleye & Caleb Swanigan) I wouldn't mind the Kings drafting him at all.

It's interesting. Doug Christie is a big Mason fan and has been advocating for the Kings to pick him up at 34 for a while now. Bobby Jackson has talked him up as well and said that 10 years ago he would have been a lottery pick because back then, teams didn't pay too much attention to physical measurements. Now the Kings call him in for a 2nd workout? Has Juwan Evans worked out for the Kings?

Maybe the Kings see Mason as a nice ready to play PG who can back up someone like Fox and do a pretty darn solid job. I do find it interesting that Mason is back for the 2nd workout.

Bobby Jackson was speaking highly of this kid on the Locked on Kings podcast. He was at the first workout. B-Jax said he didn't think he would last to 2nd round so we may have to acquire another 1st rounder to get him. He looks about the same height and weight as Isaiah. (He's listed at 5"11 but that may be a stretch). I don't think he has the same speed as Isaiah but combination of strength quickness and low center of gravity allows him to get to places on the floor.

He scored 21 PPG on 62.2% TS with a 26% usage and 2.2 assist to TO. That's outstanding. (Of course he did it as a senior).

Pollard speaks very highly of this guy as well

I have a hard time seeing Frank getting around NBA defenders. Great shooter and great in transition but he looks slow in the half court to me.

I like Frank Mason a lot.

He's a bulldog on both ends of the floor.

I think there's a very good chance he's there at #34.

He reminds me of Yogi Ferrell or Pierre Jackson. Or even Isaiah Thomas had the Kings not grabbed him at #60. The kind of player that gets overlooked, goes undrafted and then impresses overseas or in the D-League only to get called up to the NBA and impress.

He's not my first choice at #34 but if other players are already gone (Juwan Evans, Semi Ojeleye & Caleb Swanigan) I wouldn't mind the Kings drafting him at all.
Mason is my #2 guy for the later rounds behind Swanigan, but I don't think Swanigan has a chance of dropping to the 2nd. Sometimes we get so caught up in the age/measurables/physical attributes of these that we forget to actually just turn on the tape and see if they can play. Mason can flat out play. He's an amazing shooter, he's very smart with the ball, and he drastically improved his playmaking this year. Also, showed a 41 inch max vert at the combine, which dispels some notions of him that he's not athletic enough

Love the fact that he's basically averaged 4 RPG the last 3 years too. Shows he's not afraid to go in with the trees and rebound.

Really like the idea of pairing Fox in the first with Mason in the 2nd round too. It'd be some great competition and they'd push each other to get better. Adding playmaking needs to be a priority for us this offseason

Kings are bringing him in for a second workout. He's probably on the short list for #34. I like the idea of drafting him.
I like Frank Mason as a possible second round pick. His shooting is pretty good and that should translate to the NBA. He might not become a starter in the league, but he's got potential value as a scoring point guard and that's valuable off the bench. If he's to push for a starting role his play making would need to improve, but overall for a second round pick he could be a good choice.

With that said, there could be higher upside players available at that point.

IMO he'd be a major reach at #34. They'd be better off taking the BPA Wing or Big and re-signing Ty Lawson.

I also have my doubts he's got more upside than Elie Okobo..
reach at 34? There's no such thing. You're just praying you somehow get an actual rotational player from the 34th pick, much less a guy you expect to be a starter.

I think Mason will carve himself off a really nice Steve Blake/Earl Watson type of career off the bench. Smart, can shoot, has decent playmaking ability, is going to keep the wheels turning in his 15-20 minutes. I don't think there's much more upside for him than a good back-up PG type of player, but if you could promise me he'd be Watson or Blake, I'd sign up for that 100%. (Obviously, not comparing the players, just the type of careers; weak starter/great back-up type of PG)

Wouldn't be mad about Frank Mason at #34. I see him as a backup PG. I don't know if he'll be able to distribute the ball good enough in the 2nd unit though. He's more of a scorer and doesn't show a lot of playmaking qualities. He was a good scorer a Kansas, but couldn't consistently finish at the rim. I think he was 51% around there.

If he can improve his finishing ability, he could be a nice backup PG. Thinking of JJ Barea...although I really don't know how Barea has lasted in the league as long as he has....

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Mason is one of my favorite players. To be honest, I don't know why he's not ranked higher than he is. While Josh Jackson got all the press, Mason was the heart and soul of the Kansas team. and I think if you were to ask Jackson, he would say the same thing. I realize that he's only around 5'10", but you'd think that everyone would have learned their lesson with Isaiah Thomas.

I can't say that Mason is my first choice at 34, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if the Kings drafted him.

reach at 34? There's no such thing. You're just praying you somehow get an actual rotational player from the 34th pick, much less a guy you expect to be a starter.

I think Mason will carve himself off a really nice Steve Blake/Earl Watson type of career off the bench. Smart, can shoot, has decent playmaking ability, is going to keep the wheels turning in his 15-20 minutes. I don't think there's much more upside for him than a good back-up PG type of player, but if you could promise me he'd be Watson or Blake, I'd sign up for that 100%. (Obviously, not comparing the players, just the type of careers; weak starter/great back-up type of PG)
I disagree and think your aim is too low. Especially in this draft, you're hoping for a 1st round talent at 34, low hanging fruit, and 23 year old 5'11" Frank Mason is not that. he's got low upside.

Better a flawed diamond than a pebble without - Chinese Proverb

I disagree and think your aim is too low. Especially in this draft, you're hoping for a 1st round talent at 34, low hanging fruit, and 23 year old 5'11" Frank Mason is not that. he's got low upside.

Better a flawed diamond than a pebble without - Chinese Proverb
I disagree with the notion that Mason has low upside because he's 23 and undersized. Ben Mclemore and the countless number of prospects who flame out every season are proof of that. You either have talent and can at a minimum carve out a niche in the NBA or its on to the next one. I really want to acquire a late 1st or early 2nd and take Bell and Mason in the later part of the draft.

I disagree with the notion that Mason has low upside because he's 23 and undersized. Ben Mclemore and the countless number of prospects who flame out every season are proof of that. You either have talent and can at a minimum carve out a niche in the NBA or its on to the next one. I really want to acquire a late 1st or early 2nd and take Bell and Mason in the later part of the draft.
Yep, I'd rather have Frank Mason than Frank Ntlinkina, the latter whom I think is slipping in #12 to #15 range with project label sticking. Mason is ready now. Players in mold of Mason are a pain to guard because combination of low center of gravity and strength allows them to create space. The question with this kid is does (1) does he have speed to turn the corner and (2) can he hang defensively? I assume if the Kings have him in for second workout and make play for him on draft day they think these questions can be answered favorably.

Frank Jackson is a way better prospect IMO, It's not even close. I've also kinda think Mason is a bit redundant with Langston Galloway or Ty Lawson. To be clear though I think the Kings should be hunting for the best PROJECT available at #34, to me (and I've heard this from the Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey) older players are actually higher risk, I'm a big believer in player development, thats a paramount factor for any small-market team that wants to put itself on the map, Mason's not that, his selling point is that he's ready for minutes early.

Don't think Mason will be able to finish anywhere around the rim vs true NBA rim protectors, he's not the second coming of Isaiah Thomas... I also think his 3pt% is a formation of a prolonged hot streak and not exactly a true indicator of whats to come, he's for sure a good shooter, is he a knockdown shooter? that remains to be seen.. He's fearless and trustworthy and plays the game with an indomitable will, has many redeeming qualities. Could he be the next Ish Smith? perhaps, I don't like his chances though, he seems like a career backup at best, as mentioned earlier in this thread a lot like Yogi Farrell. I'm not gonna carry on in this thread futher about it, I'd much prefer to talk up other players then spend time talking down about Mason, who's certainly good enough to get drafted, a great spot for him would be the Wizards, he's better than Trey Burke.

Yep, I'd rather have Frank Mason than Frank Ntlinkina, the latter whom I think is slipping in #12 to #15 range with project label sticking. Mason is ready now. Players in mold of Mason are a pain to guard because combination of low center of gravity and strength allows them to create space. The question with this kid is does (1) does he have speed to turn the corner and (2) can he hang defensively? I assume if the Kings have him in for second workout and make play for him on draft day they think these questions can be answered favorably.
Frank Ntilikina is echelons above Mason, I could be wrong of course, thats my stance though and when he finishes his rookie contract he'll still be younger than Mason is right now.

In my book Ntilikina would be an A+ pull for the Kings at 10.

I watched pretty much all of the French teams U18 games last summer and his performance in the championship was hands down one of the best single games I saw from any of the prospects in this draft. He was on fire and I'd be shocked if he fell past 9. I actually have a hunch he wont fall past the Knicks, he seems like a Phil Jackson type of guard and fills a huge need. His defensive potential is vastly superior to Masons as he's built like a swingman and with added strength thats sure to come will seamlessly switch onto SG's and even some SF's on the perimeter.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Frank Jackson is a way better prospect IMO, It's not even close. I've also kinda think Mason is a bit redundant with Langston Galloway or Ty Lawson. To be clear though I think the Kings should be hunting for the best PROJECT available at #34, to me (and I've heard this from the Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey) older players are actually higher risk, I'm a big believer in player development, thats a paramount factor for any small-market team that wants to put itself on the map, Mason's not that, his selling point is that he's ready for minutes early.

Don't think Mason will be able to finish anywhere around the rim vs true NBA rim protectors, he's not the second coming of Isaiah Thomas... I also think his 3pt% is a formation of a prolonged hot streak and not exactly a true indicator of whats to come, he's for sure a good shooter, is he a knockdown shooter? that remains to be seen.. He's fearless and trustworthy and plays the game with an indomitable will, has many redeeming qualities. Could he be the next Ish Smith? perhaps, I don't like his chances though, he seems like a career backup at best, as mentioned earlier in this thread a lot like Yogi Farrell. I'm not gonna carry on in this thread futher about it, I'd much prefer to talk up other players then spend time talking down about Mason, who's certainly good enough to get drafted, a great spot for him would be the Wizards, he's better than Trey Burke.

Frank Ntilikina is echelons above Mason, I could be wrong of course, thats my stance though and when he finishes his rookie contract he'll still be younger than Mason is right now.

In my book Ntilikina would be an A+ pull for the Kings at 10.

I watched pretty much all of the French teams U18 games last summer and his performance in the championship was hands down one of the best single games I saw from any of the prospects in this draft. He was on fire and I'd be shocked if he fell past 9. I actually have a hunch he wont fall past the Knicks, he seems like a Phil Jackson type of guard and fills a huge need. His defensive potential is vastly superior to Masons as he's built like a swingman and with added strength thats sure to come will seamlessly switch onto SG's and even some SF's on the perimeter.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that we draft Mason at 10. At least I'm not. I look at Mason as a possible backup PG, but not a starter. I do think he has a little more upside than you do, but that's neither here nor there. The question at 34 is whether he's the best player available or not. Can't answer that until draft day and were looking at the 34th pick.

Not sure why some think that Mason can't finish around the basket. I never saw a huge problem there, and I think most players have an easier time finishing in the NBA because of the 3 second defensive rule. Much harder to pack the middle in the NBA with the rule and the spacing.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we draft Mason at 10. At least I'm not. I look at Mason as a possible backup PG, but not a starter. I do think he has a little more upside than you do, but that's neither here nor there. The question at 34 is whether he's the best player available or not. Can't answer that until draft day and were looking at the 34th pick.

Not sure why some think that Mason can't finish around the basket. I never saw a huge problem there, and I think most players have an easier time finishing in the NBA because of the 3 second defensive rule. Much harder to pack the middle in the NBA with the rule and the spacing.
I've been watching the Jazz, who pretty much have the best rim protection on the planet.. Rudy Gobert could block his forays into the paint with his elbows.. Also It's really quite understated just how much of a setback drafting Trey Burke in the lottery was for that team, I've been weary of undersized PG's ever since.

Full disclaimer tho, I'm much more apt to give the benefit of the doubt to taller/longer/younger players..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I've been watching the Jazz, who pretty much have the best rim protection on the planet.. Rudy Gobert could block his forays into the paint with his elbows.. Also It's really quite understated just how much of a setback drafting Trey Burke in the lottery was for that team, I've been weary of undersized PG's ever since.

Full disclaimer tho, I'm much more apt to give the benefit of the doubt to taller/longer/younger players..
In all fairness, the taller/longer/younger PG they drafted in the following lotto also has sucked. (Exum)

In all fairness, the taller/longer/younger PG they drafted in the following lotto also has sucked. (Exum)
I disagree. He hasn't put it all together but there's plenty of flashes of brilliance. He's one of the quickest players in the league 6'6" and above, his 1st step is more explosive than Frank Ntilikina's, he's quite smart and has great synergy with Gobert, he throws the best lobs on the team.

I expect rapid improvement for many years from him. His 3pt shot will continue to improve for sure, he was setback by the injury for sure. He also made the quantum leap of playing against Australian HS players to playing in the NBA.