Frank Mason is a 3rd guard.

I don't think he can consistently play extended mins on a contending team. I think the team should look for another PG in the 2nd round. Now that doesn't mean I don't think Mason can't contribute to the Kings but I think his best role would be in the 3rd guard slot.

I really don't think it matters because giving Bogie some PG minutes is probably the only way you give he and Buddy both enough playing time to shine.
Yeah your probably right about that but sometimes I just can't help but face palm when Mason attacks the paint.

We have to give Mason time to develop but right now he's not looking too hot. Next year will be important for him.

I just stare blankly at the screen when people say that we're all set at the PG position for years. We aren't even close right now. Millions of question marks.

I don't think Mason is as good as some fans or media personnel think he is. I think he's a career backup PG, but right now, I wouldn't say he's good enough to be a backup PG yet.
I think he's a rotation player down the line and anytime you can get one of those with a 2nd-round pick... it's a good pick. But the biggest mistake with drafting him is the fact he isn't Jordan Bell. Yet another draft blunder we'll regret in 3 years.

Yeah your probably right about that but sometimes I just can't help but face palm when Mason attacks the paint.
Based on his play, methinks Mason has a very stubborn personality. The way he’s playing right now, I agree with your assessment (at least that he’s not the first guy to get PG min after Fox). But he might come back next season with some corrections made to his game - which has essentially hit a brick wall.

I’m assuming “third guard” here means third point guard (ie not the starter or backup, more of the 11-12th man)?

I think of “third guard” as the first guard off the bench, a la Bobby Jackson in the good old days. But maybe that’s just me.

I’m assuming “third guard” here means third point guard (ie not the starter or backup, more of the 11-12th man)?

I think of “third guard” as the first guard off the bench, a la Bobby Jackson in the good old days. But maybe that’s just me.
I took it the same way if that helps.

Mason will have to make adjustments like any rookie and I think he will. He has no choice. Plowing into the trees and throwing a shot up stopped working shortly after the scouting reports on him were circulated I am sure. A mid range game added to his outside shooting will alleviate a lot of what is troubling us fans, and I am sure the coaching staff will work with him on this in the off season.

One simple change would elevate Mason's game.

Shoot the damn 3!

He is a good shooter but barely shoots more 3's a game than Fox does. He passes up 2-3 wide open looks every night to drive into the lane. I don't really understand the lack of confidence he has in his shot.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
We have to give Mason time to develop but right now he's not looking too hot. Next year will be important for him.

I just stare blankly at the screen when people say that we're all set at the PG position for years. We aren't even close right now. Millions of question marks.
Mason could be a solid volume player I just don't see that happening with the Kings. He's already 24 so any major development is unlikely but if he can transform himself into a decent spot shooter who looks to set up his teammates and spread the floor as a role player he'll help the team.

Yes that's how I ment it. Bogie should be Fox's back up and when Bogdan is getting a rest then Mason should play in limited mins.

on a prior thread, I looked at all the young players and did three scenarios - best case, worst case and most likely.

I can't remember my "worst case" for Mason, but my best and most likely were Patty Mills and Raymond Felton.

If we could trade De'Arron Fox straight up for Kawhai Leonard (although the "max contract" issue might be a problem), then we could surely live with a three guard rotation of Mason (PG), Buddy (SG) and Bogi (combo). If we had to toss in our #1 pick and got Patty Mills, then Mason becomes the 4th guard now, 3rd eventually, although it still would be best to start Mason (or Mills) with Bogdonovich and bring Buddy in for Mason (or Mills)

Again, this all depends on whether or not we would have to commit $220 million to Leonard (which the Spurs seem unwilling to do - maybe a DeMarcus situation in SA).

Because SF is our weak spot.

IF you believe that Willie/Skal/Harry/Kosta/Bruno? can handle 4/5, then I would make that deal. I remain convinced that we are in a Mark Price/Kevin Johnson scenario at PG and should trade the guy who can bring us something that we need in return. In this scenario, Fox is KJ and Leonard is Larry Nance. Mason may not be Mark Price, but having Bogi means he dos not have to be.

So, next year's roster would be

Mason
Hield
Bogdonovich
(Mills or our #1 pick)
Leonard
Jackson
Cauley-Stein
Labisierre
Koufos
Giles
Caboclo
Temple
Randolph
(if we keep our #1 and take a future Euro player, Carter gets to continue his career, until he is what, 55?)

Cooley - two way
Sampson - two way

one huge move - otherwise continuity

One simple change would elevate Mason's game.

Shot the damn 3!

He is a good shooter but barely shoots more 3's a game than Fox does. He passes up 2-3 wide open looks every night to drive into the lane. I don't really understand the lack of confidence he has in his shot.
Mason is now shooting 37.9/35.7/82.3 for the season. these numbers used to be higher earlier in the season with the 3pt percentage over 40. the loss of confidence could have come with shooting struggles and/or vice versa...

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm with the *shrug* response.

Mason was drafted in the 2nd round as a senior. And he's short. Even if he ends up a deep bench guard, that's still value for where he was picked.

It is neat that he flashes some 6th man potential now and then. Maybe he'll gain consistency in the coming seasons.

Last edited:
I like Mason but think he is pretty interchangeable with a lot of other backup point guards. If the Kings were a playoff caliber team, I would keep Sampson over Mason if given the choice. I don’t think Mason has the size to be anything other than passable on the defensive end.

I do enjoy watching him play for the most part though, hopefully he keeps improving and proves me wrong

I don't know how it works but I think I remember hearing that Mason had a promise from the Kings as their 2nd round pick. This seems kind of ridiculous though as its not like he was going to return to school or anything.
This made me question Vlade again as I too thought why pass on Jordan Bell when he was brought in for workouts, got great reviews and most of us liked him. Vlade IMO complicates things with trade downs then passing on BPA's because he's got two for ones going resulting in "positions of need" but not the best player.
Anyways, water under the bridge Mason is ok but seems easily replaceable.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know how it works but I think I remember hearing that Mason had a promise from the Kings as their 2nd round pick. This seems kind of ridiculous though as its not like he was going to return to school or anything.
This made me question Vlade again as I too thought why pass on Jordan Bell when he was brought in for workouts, got great reviews and most of us liked him. Vlade IMO complicates things with trade downs then passing on BPA's because he's got two for ones going resulting in "positions of need" but not the best player.
I'd like to know where you think you heard that. What kind of promise do you think he would have received?

Frank is only marginally better than Ray McCallum was for us. He needs to work on being more of a facilitator. The guy gets tunnel vision REALLY bad! It's all good though...Frank has plenty of time to develop.

I'd like to know where you think you heard that. What kind of promise do you think he would have received?
I'll look around and see what I can find. I read and watch a lot on draft prospects prior to and just after the draft. It could have been something an analyst said on draft day??? I rarely miss that event. So who knows, as I said, " I think I remember." I question however why promise a 2nd round senior player.

I'm with the *shrug* response.

Mason was drafted in the 2nd round as a senior. And he's short. Even if he ends up a deep bench guard, that's still value for where he was picked.

It is neat that he flashes some 6th man potential now and then. Maybe he'll gain consistency in the coming seasons.
Basically a 5th year senior. He just turned 24.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll look around and see what I can find. I read and watch a lot on draft prospects prior to and just after the draft. It could have been something an analyst said on draft day??? I rarely miss that event. So who knows, as I said, " I think I remember." I question however why promise a 2nd round senior player.
Me, too. That's why I asked for your source. Sounds like one of those "for all I know Vlade promised Mason" kind of things an analyst would say that really isn't based on anything real. :)

Remember next year we will have:
Fox, Bogdan, Buddy, Temple, Shumpert, Mason... we won’t be trying to tank so I doubt Mason sees many minutes. I’m not even sure Justin Jackson sees many minutes.

Yeah I wondered why pass on Semi Ojele especially after you passed on OG Anonoby.

Remember next year we will have:
Fox, Bogdan, Buddy, Temple, Shumpert, Mason... we won’t be trying to tank so I doubt Mason sees many minutes. I’m not even sure Justin Jackson sees many minutes.
Shumpert and Mason seem to me like the odd ones out I think the F.O is fully invested in Justin. Even if we draft Mikal Bridges for example Jackson should get plenty of burn.

Franks drives into the paint are often being "smushed" as Jerry Reynolds says. Besides that Frank has played pretty well this season. If he can learn a little pull up, and a floater and sometimes to not pick up his dribble and just go right through the traffic a la Steve Nash he will be good to go. He just needs some options so the Bigs are not just camped in the paint waiting for him. Frank, shoot the THREE!