Fox or Morant? (split)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did fine with Fox last year, and while we're talking 6th man it should still be noted that Buddy has been playing large minutes nonetheless, together with Fox etc too (albeit in a small sample size of 2 games), so really what we're saying is don't have him on the floor in the first 6 mins of q1 and 3. If you don't intend to have him in to close out games then trade him - you shouldn't be paying 20mil for a guy you're not relying on in crunch time.

Has anyone actually "clicked" with Fox this year though? If I'm being honest Fox has played a lot more like a 6th man scorer this year than a star PG. When he scores it's typically him going to the rim full speed attempting a layup or getting fouled - barely anyone else touches the ball on those possessions. His poor shooting also means he's rarely converting when the ball is swung around to get him an open shot. He has somehow gotten some games with lots of assists but I would not characterize him as "running the offense" effectively. This is what I mean by nobody has really clicked with him (at least from a guard/wing position) - how often have you actually seen Fox create open shots for anybody playing at the 2/3? Fox seems to be more Westbrook than Liliard/Curry/Wall.
Maybe I need to watch more of Westbrook to get an idea of who would fit around Fox.

Then again with all the injuries and Walton's schemes I'm still not sure what our offense is meant to be exactly...
What u say about Fox is certainly true and trading him is an alternative solution but that's a whole different can of worms

Agree with some statements about Fox not clicking with teammates...yet. He’s be a senior in college this year. I’d like to give him a lot longer run to find out what’s there. I have not given up on his shooting because his shot is not broke. Especially if he wants to be in Sac - let’s build something.

Agree with some statements about Fox not clicking with teammates...yet. He’s be a senior in college this year. I’d like to give him a lot longer run to find out what’s there. I have not given up on his shooting because his shot is not broke. Especially if he wants to be in Sac - let’s build something.
It’s his third year in the league enough with the excuses, Morant is balling in his rookie year and what would be his junior season

huh? Fox has been better than Ja this season, even with the injuries and spending a good chunk of the season working up to full speed.
How much better? Numbers are pretty close while Fox has a higher usage rate, Ja is a better shooter and looking at the FT % that should hold up. It’s Morants rookie year vs third year for Fox the fact that it’s debatable isn’t good.

How much better? Numbers are pretty close while Fox has a higher usage rate, Ja is a better shooter and looking at the FT % that should hold up. It’s Morants rookie year vs third year for Fox the fact that it’s debatable isn’t good.
The playmaking and understanding of the game Morant has is on a different universe to Fox, Fox has him in size and that's about it, also Fox once every 5-10 games can really lock someone down. Memphis was picked to finish last this year and are current;y 1 game under 500. (yes he's had great help from Val/JJJ/Brooks who he also makes way better). Fox is a way more basic player which is fine because he's still good.

The playmaking and understanding of the game Morant has is on a different universe to Fox, Fox has him in size and that's about it, also Fox once every 5-10 games can really lock someone down. Memphis was picked to finish last this year and are current;y 1 game under 500. (yes he's had great help from Val/JJJ/Brooks who he also makes way better). Fox is a way more basic player which is fine because he's still good.
Exactly, Morant runs that offense he’s on another level than Fox and I wasn’t expecting him to be that good

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's amazing. In my old age, I have apparently developed the ability to predict the future. I could just about make a list of which members would fall on which side of this debate... :(

Did you watch the the last game between Fox and Morant? It wasn't even close. Fox was by far the better player.

I think the Kings drafted a tremendous point guard in De’Aaron Fox, but at this early stage of his professional career there certainly are aspects of his game that he can improve upon. I believe that he can and will continue to develop his skills as a player and a leader. For now, Fox is “our guy” so I don’t care what Morant is doing.

I wasn’t expecting him to be that good
You didn’t believe me? Lol ;)

I said it before the draft and I’ll say it again, I believe Ja Morant will turn out to be the best player from last years draft. So far so good.

As for the comparisons to Swipa, I also made those prior to the draft. I won’t go as far as saying that Ja is better but I do think he’s playing better that Swipa did his rookie season. But that doesn’t mean anything. Players develop at different rates. And numerous circumstances play into it, such as where the player is playing, coaching, teammates, fit, etc. Ja also started two full seasons of college basketball (65 games) compared to Swipa starting for one (34 games). Hence he’s a more experienced and seasoned player coming into the NBA. That can matter too.

You didn’t believe me? Lol ;)

I said it before the draft and I’ll say it again, I believe Ja Morant will turn out to be the best player from last years draft. So far so good.

As for the comparisons to Swipa, I also made those prior to the draft. I won’t go as far as saying that Ja is better but I do think he’s playing better that Swipa did his rookie season. But that doesn’t mean anything. Players develop at different rates. And numerous circumstances play into it, such as where the player is playing, coaching, teammates, fit, etc. Ja also started two full seasons of college basketball (65 games) compared to Swipa starting for one (34 games). Hence he’s a more experienced and seasoned player coming into the NBA. That can matter too.
Yes but we’re talking now right now Fox is in his third year 4 if we include college Morant would be his 3rd if we included college. The gap should be bigger, Morant just runs the team better and lookd worlds better in half court

Yes but we’re talking now right now Fox is in his third year 4 if we include college Morant would be his 3rd if we included college. The gap should be bigger, Morant just runs the team better and lookd worlds better in half court
Having watched the team this year it's hard to grasp how well who runs what considering how much of fail at times it's been from the sidelines this season.

Did you watch the the last game between Fox and Morant? It wasn't even close. Fox was by far the better player.
One on one match ups don't determine anything, Fox for whatever reason has his number so far, but Deron WIilliams (was excellent) use to own Chris Paul big time but Chris Paul for nearly his whole career was a better player because he had higher IQ (injuries played a role in Deron's collapse) and just had that amazing natural ability to see things/make others better.

Fox is a good player but to me he's much more basic, if he ever defends consistantly like he's capable of than he might have a case.

Ricky Rubio has owned Fox quiet a bit the last couple years but no one is saying that Rubio is better it's a silly argument to base it off one on one match ups.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Morant is way ahead of where Fox was as a rookie. Fox was horrible year 1.

But then, it's not a given that Morant will have a huge leap like Fox did in year 2. Speaking of Fox, he still flashes great potential, but he's been pretty stagnant growth wise this season...

I guess what I'm saying is. ... ask me this question again in another season or two.

I get what your saying. And it's a logical way to look at it. But it doesn't necessarily work that way. And the situations they came into the league were/are different. The type of talent and coaching on the respective teams were different, as were the fits.

I mean, Tyreke Evans came out like gang busters his rookie season due to numerous factors. And was ahead of contemporary Steph Curry for a season or two. Because circumstances and development were different. But we now know which player ended up superior.

And it seems clear that Fox has been a better player than Tyreke Evans was during their respective seasons 2 and 3, even though Tyreke blew him out of the gates in season 1.

Point is, while Ja Morant is having a better rookie season than Swipa did, it doesn't mean he's the superior player. Or is ahead in terms of development. Case in point cited above. It could be argued that he was more prepared for the NBA due to the extra seasoning in college and better circumstances his 1st season in the NBA.

Of course, he may well be or become a better player. IDK. But I don't believe its definitive as of right now.

I get what your saying. And it's a logical way to look at it. But it doesn't necessarily work that way. And the situations they came into the league were/are different. The type of talent and coaching on the respective teams were different, as were the fits.

I mean, Tyreke Evans came out like gang busters his rookie season due to numerous factors. And was ahead of contemporary Steph Curry for a season or two. Because circumstances and development were different. But we now know which player ended up superior.

And it seems clear that Fox has been a better player than Tyreke Evans was during their respective seasons 2 and 3, even though Tyreke blew him out of the gates in season 1.

Point is, while Ja Morant is having a better rookie season than Swipa did, it doesn't mean he's the superior player. Or is ahead in terms of development. Case in point cited above. It could be argued that he was more prepared for the NBA due to the extra seasoning in college and better circumstances his 1st season in the NBA.

Of course, he may well be or become a better player. IDK. But I don't believe its definitive as of right now.
The circumstances were he was playing for the worst team in the West..................JJJ/Val/Brooks there other main pieces were not/have never played this well prior to him coming. No one thought the Grizzlies would win 30 games coming into the season. He made the situation work due to his talent/smarts (Fox did a similar thing in year 2).

I don’t blind love/hate guys cause they play for us some would take Bagley over Ayton simply cause he’s a king. Go ask other forums who they’d take between Fox/Morant
Just in reading your posts, you are that guy who will never be content with what your team has and will always want what the other team has. But If the roles were reversed I’m fairly certain you’d be touting Fox over Morant and so on and so on. Just my opinion though :)
And I have talked to non Kings fans friends/non friends about fox/morant and not one has said they would take him over Fox.

Just in reading your posts, you are that guy who will never be content with what your team has and will always want what the other team has. But If the roles were reversed I’m fairly certain you’d be touting Fox over Morant and so on and so on. Just my opinion though :)
And I have talked to non Kings fans friends/non friends about fox/morant and not one has said they would take him over Fox.
Why would someone be content with what we have? Team is 17-30 and in it's 13th losing season in a row. Grizzlies are at .500 and in the 8th seed. Any fan in their right mind would want what other winning teams have.

Status
Not open for further replies.