Flagant Foul Sent Fernandez Out on a Stretcher

Few things: Kingkong is right - it did look like he was going for all ball. However, he did kind of swing w/o looking - it was kind of careless. It was the right call. Also, Odom does deserve a suspension for sure. And I now know that I would love to see these 2 go at it in a 7 game series!! :p

My prayers are with Rudy.

Very hard foul but flagrant since he hit is head plus locked up Rudy's arm causing him to crash even worse unprotected on the floor. Lakers Gasol looked in a daze of concern for his fellow countryman.

Prayers with Rudy--that was a hard fall. Looks like Ariza went for the ball, and probably a combination of the Lakers being pissed off that they were getting blown out as well as Rudy's lack of weight--guy's only 6'6" 185. But I think he's fine.

He got him in the head then the arms. Intention doesnt matter if you hit someone in the head. Its a flagrant 2.
Considering that the league just downgraded Glen Davis' clothesline of Anderson Varejao to a flagrant 1, I wouldn't be too sure of that. Ariza's play looks a lot less dangerous than this.

I, at first thought this was an accident, but after seeing Ariza grab his arm after hitting him in the head, this was clearly intended to be a very hard foul... thus flagrant 2 is correct.

It really didn't look like that hard of a foul, but hitting him in the head and holding his arm wasn't necessary at all.

The Lakers were being killed in this game and things were getting a little rough here and there before the foul. The third was almost over when LA turned it over and Rudy went for the lay in and I think it was just a frustrated reaction to having their butts kicked by Portland.

As a former Sacramento resident, and a Kings fan of many years, I now live in Bend, Oregon and find myself rooting for the Blazers these days. But I was sure I'd find a thread here on the Ariza incident, with the old Kings/Lakers rivalry being what it was.

I hope that Portland gets to play LA in the playoffs, and after last night I don't think the Lakers are looking forward to it. The final score didn't even show how bad it was, thanks to a couple LA 3's in garbage time. But 17 points was still their worst loss of the season - prior to last night it was the 12 point loss to the Kings back in December.

Just saw the Rudy was set to leave the hospital this afternoon with a bruised chest, so that's good news!

ehhh, I watch the kings via league pass, so I have a general idea of other teams announce teams and ive always kind of liked the blazers crew, but I hate when they ( any announce team ) make the other teams players look like a bunch of thugs. I hate the lakers as much as anyone ( Celtics / Kings fan here ) but it was a hard foul .. thats about it. If you listen to the audio they say they didnt like how Ariza wanted to fight after the foul .. give me a break. Talk about how your whole team cornered him .. seriously, I'd be ready for a fight too .. There were a couple other comments they threw in there that I didnt like, but anyways.. glad Rudy is alright.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think context needs to be factored in, this was moments after Rudy hit a 3 pointer to send the Blazers up by 30 and Ariza seemed quite proud of himself after the foul. It may have been a legitimate hard basketball play (though the arm holding on an off balance player from the initial contact has injury written all over it), but in context this foul clearly had bad intentions.

Considering that the league just downgraded Glen Davis' clothesline of Anderson Varejao to a flagrant 1, I wouldn't be too sure of that. Ariza's play looks a lot less dangerous than this.
No there is no way the Davis-Varejao play was more dangerous. Fernandez was running full speed and had a ton of momentum going up into the air and with Ariza pushing him it could have been even worse than it was.

You can argue that he was going for the ball but the approach he had was all wrong. It also doesn't help his case that his team were getting their asses kicked.

I think context needs to be factored in, this was moments after Rudy hit a 3 pointer to send the Blazers up by 30 and Ariza seemed quite proud of himself after the foul. It may have been a legitimate hard basketball play (though the arm holding on an off balance player from the initial contact has injury written all over it), but in context this foul clearly had bad intentions.

I think that can be looked at both ways..

A lot of players try to 'hold' the person they foul down to either stop the impact completely or at least slow the person down .. I think its a reaction thing players have when they know there will be a lot of contact.

No there is no way the Davis-Varejao play was more dangerous. Fernandez was running full speed and had a ton of momentum going up into the air and with Ariza pushing him it could have been even worse than it was.
But at the same time, Ariza at least tried to make a play on the ball and didn't intentionally try to decapitate his opponent. I'm with Brick here, it was unfortunate, but it wasn't malicious.

But at the same time, Ariza at least tried to make a play on the ball and didn't intentionally try to decapitate his opponent. I'm with Brick here, it was unfortunate, but it wasn't malicious.
I agree it was probably not malicious, but that doesn't mean it was less dangerous than another play that a player tried to foul a player hard. Anderson Varejao did not have much momentum and was not in the air much so it wasn't so hard of a foul while Fernandez had a ton of momentum, was very high in the air, and fell down hard.

It really didn't look like that hard of a foul, but hitting him in the head and holding his arm wasn't necessary at all.

The Lakers were being killed in this game and things were getting a little rough here and there before the foul. The third was almost over when LA turned it over and Rudy went for the lay in and I think it was just a frustrated reaction to having their butts kicked by Portland.

As a former Sacramento resident, and a Kings fan of many years, I now live in Bend, Oregon and find myself rooting for the Blazers these days. But I was sure I'd find a thread here on the Ariza incident, with the old Kings/Lakers rivalry being what it was.

I hope that Portland gets to play LA in the playoffs, and after last night I don't think the Lakers are looking forward to it. The final score didn't even show how bad it was, thanks to a couple LA 3's in garbage time. But 17 points was still their worst loss of the season - prior to last night it was the 12 point loss to the Kings back in December.

Just saw the Rudy was set to leave the hospital this afternoon with a bruised chest, so that's good news!
I agree with you. I want to see Portland and LA go at it in the playoffs. The Blazers are historic rivals in the mold of the Supersonics, the Suns, and until recently the Kings. (The Spurs and the Celtics are in a different league) These teams and their fan bases, everytime they play the Lakers make it exciting.

A series between these two I think would be like the Kings Lakers of 2000.

I agree with you. I want to see Portland and LA go at it in the playoffs. The Blazers are historic rivals in the mold of the Supersonics, the Suns, and until recently the Kings. (The Spurs and the Celtics are in a different league) These teams and their fan bases, everytime they play the Lakers make it exciting.

A series between these two I think would be like the Kings Lakers of 2000.
I think that playoff mathcup would be fool's gold, honestly. It only looks tempting because they hate us there. They're gonna have a tougher time taking one at Staples than vice versa, I don't care how many RS gms they've won at the RG. Situation was the same from 2000 to 2002 and LA went 6-3 there in the POs. You get Bynum back and he cuts down on their willingness to drive the middle, pushes Pau back to 4, LA defenders can stay honest w/ their three point shooters.