First day of practice, first injury

From Fox40 news: Bobby Jackson had his hand taped today....

Edit: Mark Dempsky reports: Bobby sprained it 3 days ago in a pick up game. He was practicing today and says he isn't too concerned about it, only if it lingers.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Too early to worry about slight sprains (hopefully that's all it is) of this sort. He was at practice. Did he take part with the hand just wrapped?

There will be plenty of bumps, contusions, sprains, etc. If it doesn't keep a player from playing...no big.

6th said:
Too early to worry about slight sprains (hopefully that's all it is) of this sort. He was at practice. Did he take part with the hand just wrapped?

There will be plenty of bumps, contusions, sprains, etc. If it doesn't keep a player from playing...no big.
I agree about not trying not to worry so early. He did practice with some tape on it (shots of him handling the ball and shooting/making a basket) and afterwords when talking to media he had this huge 10x larger than his hand wrap on it.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/10963901p-11881205c.html

More injury news already

Bobby Jackson, who missed 32 games last season, has a sprained right hand.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, October 3, 2004

Yep, the Kings have begun working out - Bobby Jackson is injured again.

But this time, it's merely a right hand sprain suffered Tuesday at the team's practice facility. Results of an X-ray on the hand were negative.

According to Kings coach Rick Adelman,Jackson was one of the standouts on the first day of training camp Saturday in which seemingly everyone played pretty well.

Jackson's shooting hand was taped, as was one of his fingers. Because Jackson probably can get shots off with his right hand encased in ice, as it was following practice, the Kings' energizer still was an effective scorer.

Jackson missed 23 games (broken left hand) during the 2002-03 season and 32 games (abdominal strain) last season. So it's not surprising that the normally fearless Jackson felt trepidation when he sprained his hand.

"The first day I did it," he said, "it was swollen, and I was in horrible pain. But it turned out it wasn't that serious."

Adelman said he saw Jackson's right hand taped and wondered if it meant he would put in extra work using his left hand.

"I mean, he doesn't really have a left hand," Adelman joked of Jackson, who probably would dribble right on every possession if he could. "I told him I hoped it meant he (now) had to use (his) left hand."

Adelman jabbed Jackson there, but things were serious Saturday for the Kings.

There is a large group of players who know they'll be on the team and another, larger group trying to just earn playing time in scrimmages, then exhibition games, if they are lucky.

Point guard Mike Bibby has about as much security as one can have with a long-term deal and his status as one of the team's best clutch players.

However, he said he empathized with the new players trying to make the team.

"There's a lot of stuff to soak up on the first day," he said. "You have to learn the offense and some of the free-lance stuff we do. There's a lot of fouling out there, because you know it's going to be physical. Some of the guys don't have a definite chance to make the team, so I know it's hard.

"And when you get a chance to show everything you can do, you try to do that. Sometimes, everyone in camp doesn't always get a fair look, so I know it's tough."

Bibby said he was impressed by each of the 20 players in camp. Jackson pointed to the two guards drafted by the Kings when asked which newcomers stood out to him.

"Kevin Martin is really explosive," Jackson said. "He really shocked me. Ricky (Minard) plays hard. And everybody is out here trying to play hard."

On the first day of camp, the coach sometimes is seeing some of the longer shots to make the team for the first time. Adelman said 7-footer Anwar Ferguson caught his eye.

"He was one of the guys I knew nothing about," the coach said, "but's he's long, blocked shots, rebounded and made shots. Ricky and Kevin were good. Courtney (Alexander), (Maurice) Evans, Matt (Barnes) are pretty skilled players, and they all play really hard. That's what we told them." The Kings signed Alexander, a 6-foot-5 guard, Friday morning after he also worked out for Golden State last week. Alexander - who has played with Dallas, Washington and New Orleans - missed last season because of a torn right Achilles' tendon.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"Kevin Martin is really explosive," Jackson said. "He really shocked me.
Boy do I like the sound of that!!

Props - again - to Kingsgurl who named Kevin as the perfect draft choice for the Kings in the bleachermob mock draft. Sounds like she's right - again.

LMM said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/10963901p-11881205c.html

More injury news already

Bobby Jackson, who missed 32 games last season, has a sprained right hand.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, October 3, 2004

Yep, the Kings have begun working out - Bobby Jackson is injured again.

But this time, it's merely a right hand sprain suffered Tuesday at the team's practice facility. Results of an X-ray on the hand were negative.

According to Kings coach Rick Adelman,Jackson was one of the standouts on the first day of training camp Saturday in which seemingly everyone played pretty well.

Jackson's shooting hand was taped, as was one of his fingers. Because Jackson probably can get shots off with his right hand encased in ice, as it was following practice, the Kings' energizer still was an effective scorer.

Jackson missed 23 games (broken left hand) during the 2002-03 season and 32 games (abdominal strain) last season. So it's not surprising that the normally fearless Jackson felt trepidation when he sprained his hand.

"The first day I did it," he said, "it was swollen, and I was in horrible pain. But it turned out it wasn't that serious."

Adelman said he saw Jackson's right hand taped and wondered if it meant he would put in extra work using his left hand.

"I mean, he doesn't really have a left hand," Adelman joked of Jackson, who probably would dribble right on every possession if he could. "I told him I hoped it meant he (now) had to use (his) left hand."

Adelman jabbed Jackson there, but things were serious Saturday for the Kings.

There is a large group of players who know they'll be on the team and another, larger group trying to just earn playing time in scrimmages, then exhibition games, if they are lucky.

Point guard Mike Bibby has about as much security as one can have with a long-term deal and his status as one of the team's best clutch players.

However, he said he empathized with the new players trying to make the team.

"There's a lot of stuff to soak up on the first day," he said. "You have to learn the offense and some of the free-lance stuff we do. There's a lot of fouling out there, because you know it's going to be physical. Some of the guys don't have a definite chance to make the team, so I know it's hard.

"And when you get a chance to show everything you can do, you try to do that. Sometimes, everyone in camp doesn't always get a fair look, so I know it's tough."

Bibby said he was impressed by each of the 20 players in camp. Jackson pointed to the two guards drafted by the Kings when asked which newcomers stood out to him.

"Kevin Martin is really explosive," Jackson said. "He really shocked me. Ricky (Minard) plays hard. And everybody is out here trying to play hard."

On the first day of camp, the coach sometimes is seeing some of the longer shots to make the team for the first time. Adelman said 7-footer Anwar Ferguson caught his eye.

"He was one of the guys I knew nothing about," the coach said, "but's he's long, blocked shots, rebounded and made shots. Ricky and Kevin were good. Courtney (Alexander), (Maurice) Evans, Matt (Barnes) are pretty skilled players, and they all play really hard. That's what we told them." The Kings signed Alexander, a 6-foot-5 guard, Friday morning after he also worked out for Golden State last week. Alexander - who has played with Dallas, Washington and New Orleans - missed last season because of a torn right Achilles' tendon.
Sounds really exciting. Can't wait for the season to start. Hope that everyone comes out healthy soon.