Farewell Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am done as a Kings fan. It doesn't need explanation. Been a fan since around 1988, so I've been through some crap.

This, however, declares that the franchise just doesn't deserve fandom. I'll root for the former Kings and guys who become former Kings, but I only have my consumer vote to protest with and that's what Sacramento has to use to stop this nonsense.

Hang up your fandom. Empty seats are the only thing that will turn things around.

Count me out as well. Fan for almost 20 years now. And has made checking out this forum as part of my daily routine for over a decade now. This is it for me, I'm gonna look for some other activity to fill the vacant hour every day that I used to spend here. Most of you may not feel it. But you guys are like extended family to me. I'm gonna walk with some emptiness for maybe a few days until I get back to maybe coding hours again. Adios.

Special thanks to Capt, Brick, VF, Tetsujin, Swissh, Piksi, Baja, and all the other well opinionated folks here. You are the fellow I look up to in this forum. I'll look for my peace now.

I'm done too. I'm an international fan, I don't live in Sacramento. I've lived there just a year, almost 20 years ago. So the love for this team and the perennial hope that things could change kept me here. But now it's too much. I've reached my limit. This franchise doesn't deserve my loyalty.
I'm out. I wish all of you who are still able to cheer for this team the best.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm done too. I'm an international fan, I don't live in Sacramento. I've lived there just a year, almost 20 years ago. So the love for this team and the perennial hope that things could change kept me here. But now it's too much. I've reached my limit. This franchise doesn't deserve my loyalty.
I'm out. I wish all of you who are still able to cheer for this team the best.
I remember when you joined. I'm sorry you're leaving but the door will always be open for you ... and any other Kings fan ... to return.

When I first heard the news, I was hurt, I was shocked, I was crushed. I felt betrayed by the one person whose integrity I thought was above reproach. I took to Twitter when the board crashed. I vented along with a lot of other fans.

Then I saw something that amazed me. I saw both Anthony Tolliver and Garrett Temple take to Twitter to address Kings fans. They asked us to give them a chance. They said they would play their hearts out for us. And I realized something - I am a KINGS fan. Not a fan of the idiots in the front office, and that includes the one whose name is abbreviated in my user name (but only until I can get the board owner to change it). I have supported the PLAYERS of this franchise since 1985. I cannot stop that. It's not in my DNA.

None of the players on the team saw this coming. None of them deserved to be caught up in the crapstorm. They've been going out there every night and playing their best. They've shown exactly what I've asked for - heart, hustle, energy, effort. If they give their best, that's all I ask.

I won't walk away right now, because those players deserve better. They deserve to know that even though the front office may have the integrity of roadkill, the fans are still KINGS fans.

I wish all of you who choose to walk away fair winds and following seas. I hope those fair winds may eventually guide you back our way some day.

Seems I picked the wrong time to give up twitter. I shut down my account 3 weeks ago.
Would you mind posting tollivers and temples twitter posts here?

I am done as a Kings fan. It doesn't need explanation. Been a fan since around 1988, so I've been through some crap.

This, however, declares that the franchise just doesn't deserve fandom. I'll root for the former Kings and guys who become former Kings, but I only have my consumer vote to protest with and that's what Sacramento has to use to stop this nonsense.

Hang up your fandom. Empty seats are the only thing that will turn things around.
Yep - me and my entire extended family have been Kings fans since the day they arrived in Sacto.

I can guarantee Vivek and those greedy, squabbling owners (and the amazingly two-faced or spineless Vlade who I also have now lost all respect for) that we are done supporting or following this organization.

You have lost us as customers.

For life.

**** you and your clueless, tone-deaf owner who still bleeds Warrior colors.
You have treated Sacramento and us fans as a slot machine that spits out money and love.

No more.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I remember when you joined. I'm sorry you're leaving but the door will always be open for you ... and any other Kings fan ... to return.

When I first heard the news, I was hurt, I was shocked, I was crushed. I felt betrayed by the one person whose integrity I thought was above reproach. I took to Twitter when the board crashed. I vented along with a lot of other fans.

Then I saw something that amazed me. I saw both Anthony Tolliver and Garrett Temple take to Twitter to address Kings fans. They asked us to give them a chance. They said they would play their hearts out for us. And I realized something - I am a KINGS fan. Not a fan of the idiots in the front office, and that includes the one whose name is abbreviated in my user name (but only until I can get the board owner to change it). I have supported the PLAYERS of this franchise since 1985. I cannot stop that. It's not in my DNA.

None of the players on the team saw this coming. None of them deserved to be caught up in the poopoostorm. They've been going out there every night and playing their best. They've shown exactly what I've asked for - heart, hustle, energy, effort. If they give their best, that's all I ask.

I won't walk away right now, because those players deserve better. They deserve to know that even though the front office may have the integrity of roadkill, the fans are still KINGS fans.

I wish all of you who choose to walk away fair winds and following seas. I hope those fair winds may eventually guide you back our way some day.
If it helps you'll still have me around to vent together :p

I love basketball and I love Sacramento and Golden One and my Kings but goddamn this is one brutal day. Beyond stupid. This franchise has NO FUTURE. Sheer idiocy. Normally I'd give up following sports entirely but I love the NBA. If you ever wanted a hall pass to jump ship to another team here's your chance. I've lived in SoCal for around 8 years and made an annual pilgrimage back to sactown to watch home games. I'll still go back north regularly but this is the kind of bull crap that makes me want to switch to the Fakers. At least I can commiserate with the OG fans who didn't jump on the Clippers bandwagon.

I stood by this team through thick and thin but this is such a deep insult to all of us.

None of the players on the team saw this coming. None of them deserved to be caught up in the poopoostorm. They've been going out there every night and playing their best. They've shown exactly what I've asked for - heart, hustle, energy, effort. If they give their best, that's all I ask.

VF, you and I have disagreed about a lot over the past couple of years (mostly on DMC) but thank you for making this post. I couldn't have said it better myself. I just don't believe, as a true fan, you can walk away. I can understand fans tuning out for a while until this thing gets turned around but I just don't see how somebody can say they have been a fan for many years and then all of a sudden root for NO or some other team. My hope is that some of the regular posters here who say they are done are just emotional right now and will be back in time.

Sorry for your loss. I know you were a huge DMC fan. Yes, I wanted him traded, but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would be traded for Buddy Hield and a mid first round pick. Crazy.

So difficult to deal with this level of ineptitude - especially as my brain says this team won't taste the playoffs for another 6 years, at best, based on a bare asset cupboard alone.

But as a fan, my instinct is to start scouting DraftExpress with the hopes that management makes a pick that spites their poor judgement. I've been a Kings fan for life - being on this board for over 10 years now..following the Kings, the NBA, the draft and college hoops is my passion - I don't think any of that will change. I'll still show up to the draft in June, I will still boo our bad picks and lopsided trades, I will still splurge on tickets when the Kings come into town and play bad basketball, I will still catch games in Sac when I can (and I'm looking forward to trying all of that local food/beer).
Maybe after another bad draft day move I'll be able to dial it back a bit. But I probably won't. The fact is, Vivek is the worst owner in sports, and most of us - if given the opportunity and resources - could probably do better "learning on the job" than our beloved Vlade. But like Manos the Hands of Fate, this is now so bad that you just have to watch. Staying aboard, for now.

I wouldn't say we have a bare asset cupboard. The future for us now rests with the young players -- WCS, Richardson, Buddy, Skal, Papa, Bogdan, and the 2 1st rounders we will likely have this year. If 2-3 of those guys can turn into outstanding players then we may have something. If they don't, then we are probably screwed unless there is a LBJ in the 2018 draft and somehow we land him.

VF, you and I have disagreed about a lot over the past couple of years (mostly on DMC) but thank you for making this post. I couldn't have said it better myself. I just don't believe, as a true fan, you can walk away. I can understand fans tuning out for a while until this thing gets turned around but I just don't see how somebody can say they have been a fan for many years and then all of a sudden root for NO or some other team. My hope is that some of the regular posters here who say they are done are just emotional right now and will be back in time.

Sorry for your loss. I know you were a huge DMC fan. Yes, I wanted him traded, but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would be traded for Buddy Hield and a mid first round pick. Crazy.
I will NEVER stop loving the much-maligned city of Sacramento, which is wonderful and vibrant and full of amazing people. I'm NorCal born and bred and proud to be a cowbell-toting hillbilly.

I WILL stop supporting this team. I no longer support the Niners and watched maybe 20 minutes of NFL football last year after Jed York transparently revealed himself to be a profiteering trust fund baby who sold out the team for his own bottom line. Vivek isn't so greedy per se but there is no way in hell I devote any more energy to such a grossly incompetent franchise.

If Vivek gets the boot I would likely come back but we are looking at another decade of misery after this. EVERY YEAR they do some mid-season dumb fudgery to betray the fans. The common denominator is VIVEK. I am DONE with this team until he is gone

I became a fan of the Sacramento Kings in 2002, after the WCF. I stayed a fan all the way through the lean years, through the coaching carousel, and through the relocation saga. I thought nothing could be as rough as the Malone firing.

This is much worse.

I wish the Kings Fans all the best...I don't know if I will stop hanging out here or not. One thing I do know; as long as Vivek and anyone involved in this decision still runs the Kings, I'm not interested anymore. Count me as one of the malingering mainstream, because they saw the truth where I didn't. I definitely wish Cousins all the best, and a championship will be there. My condolences to the players left behind.

I'm going to see how this rebuild plays out. If it burns out I'M DONE. Done do you hear me Kangz FO. Pay for that arena yourself Vivek your on notice.

i'd like to take this opportunity to piggyback on this thread and offer my farewell to the sacramento kings and to this website. i've been a kings fan since i could walk, and i've been a member of kingsfans.com since i was in junior high. we laughed and cried together through the highs and lows of those glory years... and then chris webber's knee gave out, which eventually gave way to "flexible pieces" and a deluge of losing seasons, and things proceeded to get salty in kingsland.

i took some time off from the boards as i was pursuing my post-graduate career. but i returned a few years ago to find that kf.com was still in full vigor. it was nice to see so many familiar usernames, and to be welcomed back to a truly passionate and intelligent fan community. things were as bleak as ever, of course, and we fought like hell just to keep the team located in sacramento. however, i've now come to the conclusion that this organization simply doesn't deserve "the best fans in the world."

for those that consider the departure of myself and others to be a weakness of will, i'd offer this: in 31 years in the city of sacramento, the kings franchise has totaled eight winning seasons. eight. across all of those years and all of those losses, there has been organizational incompetence at every level, from the team's ownership to the front office to the coaching staff to the player personnel. we had a good run for about a half-decade at the turn of the millenium, but that flash-in-the-pan represents the exception to the rule of this franchise's near-perpetual malaise. last night's events are just the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. i can't do this any more.

there are many things in my life that bring me joy: my wife. my dog. hiking. cycling. poetry. music. film. interesting television. the smell of rain and the lush green that follows. the sacramento kings used to be on that list. they helped my father and i craft an important bond that has since evolved into one of my most important relationships. but i'm discovering that i simply do not find joy anymore on this particular roller coaster. i'm tired of making myself miserable as i follow this team from one drama to the next, and i don't have the stomach to do all of the waiting, wishing, and hoping that accompanies yet another rebuild, especially with an impulsive, meddlesome owner at the helm. i lived through the maloofs. i won't do it again with vivek ranadive.

yes, i was a big fan of demarcus cousins, but i was also among a growing number who simply did not see a viable path forward to a winning team with cousins at its core. between the organizational upheaval, the blown draft picks, the revolving door of coaches and players, and countless other prohibitive factors, the kings had blown their chance to build a winner around cousins, so perhaps it was best to turn that singular and superior asset into a fresh start. multiple young talents and multiple first round draft picks seemed like a reasonable expectation for a superstar of demarcus' caliber, especially with his contract year more than an offseason away.

minnesota turned kevin love and his lack of defense into andrew wiggins. denver turned carmelo anthony and his cancerous attitude into a bevy of assets that are now starting to pay off for the nuggets. the #kangz turned demarcus cousins into buddy hield and a middling first round draft pick. it's an embarrassment of the highest order, and it betrays the amateur hour at the center of this organization. ask any knicks fan what an impulsive, meddlesome owner will do to a franchise. it gets worse before it gets... actually, it doesn't get better. and i'm making the conscious decision to make my exit now, before further damage is done to my sanity. vivek ranadive can take his nba 3.0 and his fawning over the warriors and shove it up his a$$. he's cost the kings this life-long fan, and while i hardly expect a mass exodus amongst kings fans, i suspect that i'm not the only one who'd rather jump ship than rearrange deck chairs on this titanic dumpster fire.

i'm upset enough that i could continue further critiquing last night's trade and this franchise's decision-makers for endless paragraphs in a fitful release of righteous anger, but what would be the point in that? everything's been said that should be said by many here at kf.com, and anything else that might need to be said will surely get said by those who are left. goodbye, my fellow kings fans. i've enjoyed the stimulating conversation. it's been healthy for me up until now, and i may yet check in from time to time just to see those good old usernames, but my time as a dedicated kings fan and active member of the fan community has come to a close. good luck to those of you that stick it out, and all the best to everyone else. this is padrino, signing off. <3

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Over a decade. That is how long is has been since we have been relevant.

The butt of every joke, perennial door mats, hit piece after hit piece.

What does our FO know about running a basketball team? It is nothing but egos, illusions of grandeur. Most of all..

Checkbooks, accounts, sales, and nothing but bottom lines. **** YOU VIVEK, YOU NONSENSICAL, MEDDLING EGOTISTICAL SCUMBAG.

Enough of the "Business" side of the NBA, How can anyone support a franchise or company that treats its players and personnel this way? The real snakes in the grass saying one thing and then suddenly turn heel and stabbing the dagger in the back. That is what this was, a dagger in the back of the most talented and genuine, passionate, caring player our team has ever had. Just when it felt like we were turning a corner, a stable coach, a team that competed every night regardless of the talent on the floor. A player beginning to trust his teams and the people around him.

What do they know about basketball? The camaraderie, the city, the fans, the loyalty. Demarcus was loyal to a fault, so loyal he didn't even see the sheathed blade that was being sharpened over the past months, covered in the poison of a self proclaimed king.

He was here for years, going through the tumultuous times and all the absolute BS that has happened. He wanted to be here, the cornerstone for a franchise that would finally break free, a piece of something greater than whatever contract could be handed to him. Instead he was lied to, publicly and privately. Now the entire league and the fans of other teams see it.

I'd like to thank the posters and mods on this board for over a decade fandom. A place I could call home and come to, seeing familiar faces. WE knew the players and we knew each other. This site was and still is a family, but I can't support conniving meddlesome scheming egos which have no vision beyond their own. Thank you so much for your time and effort, your ability to personalize with people whom you have never met. I don't think I will be returning.

Careful Vivek, word of mouth spreads like wildfire, and the flames are coming.

Your walls are weak.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
for those that consider the departure of myself and others to be a weakness of will, i'd offer this: in 31 years in the city of sacramento, the kings franchise has totaled eight winning seasons. eight. across all of those years and all of those losses, there has been organizational incompetence at every level, from the team's ownership to the front office to the coaching staff to the player personnel. we had a good run for about a half-decade at the turn of the millenium, but that flash-in-the-pan represents the exception to the rule of this franchise's near-perpetual malaise. last night's events are just the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. i can't do this any more.

there are many things in my life that bring me joy: my wife. my dog. hiking. cycling. poetry. music. film. interesting television. the smell of rain and the lush green that follows. the sacramento kings used to be on that list. they helped my father and i craft an important bond that has since evolved into one of my most important relationships. but i'm discovering that i simply do not find joy anymore on this particular roller coaster. i'm tired of making myself miserable as i follow this team from one drama to the next, and i don't have the stomach to do all of the waiting, wishing, and hoping that accompanies yet another rebuild, especially with an impulsive, meddlesome owner at the helm. i lived through the maloofs. i won't do it again with vivek ranadive.
Sounds like it's time to get off that narcotic.

I wouldn't say we have a bare asset cupboard. The future for us now rests with the young players -- WCS, Richardson, Buddy, Skal, Papa, Bogdan, and the 2 1st rounders we will likely have this year. If 2-3 of those guys can turn into outstanding players then we may have something. If they don't, then we are probably screwed unless there is a LBJ in the 2018 draft and somehow we land him.
Vivek just committed arson and burned down the entire house. We don't even have a cupboard

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Our assets have proved jack and ****. WCS can dunk, but until 10 games ago he was useless. Malachi hit 2 shots in a row once and we got excited. Hield isn't lighting the world on fire. Skal and Papa are total long shots in the dark.

It would be so much easier to have even a little faith if a single one of our young guys has shown anything that translates to star. Or even borderline star. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing it. These pieces are not a loaded cupboard.

I'm a DMC fan. But I'm a Kings fan first and foremost. So this is not a sign-off. But I am frustrated by the trade, and saddened by the exodus of Kingsfans.

My frustration with the trade is not that we traded DMC, but that it was handled so poorly and we got so little in return. Amateur hour, once again.

For DMC to learn about the trade from the news media is skullduggery. Or incompetence. Or both.

To essentially get Buddy Hield and a mid 1st round draft pick in return for DMC is mind-boggling. Is that the best we could do??? Why, because we are enamored with Buddy Hield?

The trade gets an F. I just don't know whether to give the grade to Vivek, if indeed he forced the trade, or to Vlade, if he pushed for the trade. I suppose that, however it happened, they both get the big F for whatever role they played in it, including how it rolled out.

Best of luck to those exiting our ranks as Kings fans. I do understand the impulse. Being a fan is not supposed to hurt this much. Or is it?

I just watched Vlade's presser and he took responsibility saying he made the decision to trade Boogie.

Now I am on record not liking the trade. So the fact that Vlade said Tyreke, Langston and Buddy are all headed to the Kings should not offer much comfort. The truth is folks the Kings need some Guards and they got a couple that can play NOW.

I'm going to miss Boogie as much as anyone. As far as Vlade he did what GM's do, they seldom show their hands. A GM's job is much like playing poker.

Last edited:
I just watched Vlade's presser and he took responsibility saying he made the decision to trade Boogie.
Then it's a virtual guarantee that he DIDN'T make the decision.

Everything nowadays is cover.

CYA.

If someone in the Kings organization states something for the record, it's guaranteed to be a lie and covering for the person that is actually responsible.

And we all know which person (who only own 20% of the Kings, yet gets utter control over everything) is in charge.

Warning to all KF's : do not buy any of the coming denials and statements which seek to deflect blame for this debacle away from Vivek.
Vivek hired Vlade explicitly for this eventuality ; that Vlade's good-standing with the fanbase would protect him from the firestorm his decisions would cause.

Don't let him get away with it.
Have long memories, and hopefully someone in the media will challenge him on it.
Ha. Fat chance. They're all too concerned with their own jobs and continued access.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i'd like to take this opportunity to piggyback on this thread and offer my farewell to the sacramento kings and to this website. i've been a kings fan since i could walk, and i've been a member of kingsfans.com since i was in junior high. we laughed and cried together through the highs and lows of those glory years... and then chris webber's knee gave out, which eventually gave way to "flexible pieces" and a deluge of losing seasons, and things proceeded to get salty in kingsland.

i took some time off from the boards as i was pursuing my post-graduate career. but i returned a few years ago to find that kf.com was still in full vigor. it was nice to see so many familiar usernames, and to be welcomed back to a truly passionate and intelligent fan community. things were as bleak as ever, of course, and we fought like hell just to keep the team located in sacramento. however, i've now come to the conclusion that this organization simply doesn't deserve "the best fans in the world."

yes, i was a big fan of demarcus cousins, but i was also among a growing number who simply did not see a viable path forward to a winning team with cousins at its core. between the organizational upheaval, the blown draft picks, the revolving door of coaches and players, and countless other prohibitive factors, the kings had blown their chance to build a winner around cousins, so perhaps it was best to turn that singular and superior asset into a fresh start. multiple young talents and multiple first round draft picks seemed like a reasonable expectation for a superstar of demarcus' caliber, especially with his contract year more than an offseason away.

minnesota turned kevin love and his lack of defense into andrew wiggins. denver turned carmelo anthony and his cancerous attitude into a bevy of assets that are now starting to pay off for the nuggets. the #kangz turned demarcus cousins into buddy hield and a middling first round draft pick. it's an embarrassment of the highest order, and it betrays the amateur hour at the center of this organization. ask any knicks fan what an impulsive, meddlesome owner will do to a franchise. it gets worse before it gets... actually, it doesn't get better. and i'm making the conscious decision to make my exit now, before further damage is done to my sanity. vivek ranadive can take his nba 3.0 and his fawning over the warriors and shove it up his a$$. he's cost the kings this life-long fan, and while i hardly expect a mass exodus amongst kings fans, i suspect that i'm not the only one who'd rather jump ship than rearrange deck chairs on this titanic dumpster fire.

i'm upset enough that i could continue further critiquing last night's trade and this franchise's decision-makers for endless paragraphs in a fitful release of righteous anger, but what would be the point in that? everything's been said that should be said by many here at kf.com, and anything else that might need to be said will surely get said by those who are left. goodbye, my fellow kings fans. i've enjoyed the stimulating conversation. it's been healthy for me up until now, and i may yet check in from time to time just to see those good old usernames, but my time as a dedicated kings fan and active member of the fan community has come to a close. good luck to those of you that stick it out, and all the best to everyone else. this is padrino, signing off. <3
I think I may miss you most of all. At least I still have some of your poetry stored safely on my hard drive. ;)

Good luck with your life.

I'm just completely heartbroken. I literally feel like a piece of me died last night. I just can't follow them for now. I remember being one of, if not first, in line to buy regular season tickets the year DMC got here. I was in grad school at the time and didn't have much money, but me and my little bro were so excited to buy opening day tickets. I had started watching college basketball the year before just because I was excited to see who the Kings might draft. My bro and I were really excited that DMC was coming and we just *knew* our fortunes as fans were turning up.

Since that time, I graduated and have continued to support the kings more and more each season. My wife knows that buying me Kings gear is a safe-bet for any holiday, birthday etc. I went halfsies on season tickets for a while until my daughter was born and it became too hard to go to so many games. This morning I couldn't even look at my favorite Kings hat that my wife bought me for my bday a few years ago.

All day long I've been depressed and checking in on other boards to see just how ridiculous we look as fans for having supported this organization. I thought Vlade could talk sense into Vivek but I see now that was wrong. I don't know if I am impressed by other fans who are sticking around or if we are all suffering from some sort of Stockholm syndrome. I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that I'm going to be taking a major, if not permanent, hiatus from being a fan. I've imagine putting all my Kings gear in a box and throwing it away. Sorry for the long vent but I really feel like I will miss this community of fans the most. I've never met any of you in real life but in a crazy way I feel like I know all of you. I can say I am definitely in the grieving stage of loss. Good luck, Kingsfans.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.