[Fantasy] 2009 WNBA Pick One Challenge

With the season a little over a week away, thought I'd drum up players for this year's WNBA Pick One Challenge. Since we can never have enough angst and frustration in our lives....or is that just me and how I play? ;)

Need a refresher on the rules?
http://www.wnba.com/fantasy/wnbapickone2009/howtoplay.html

Need a recap of last season?
http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27195&highlight=pick+challenge

(wooo, just noticed I did not do final write up last season like I said I would, bad me - I'll blame it on Hurricane Ike since he created the need for me to even need to do an extra write up ;))

I'll see if our compatriots from KHTK are interested in joining us again and devoting a segment on Monarchs Talk each week for ahem..all of us players to call in and beat them down for challenging us again...

EDIT:

League Name: kingsfans
Password: 1140

Last edited:
HELP!!! Has anyone been able to register for the POC? Can't seem to do that. There is a javascript or server error or something.

Tried that but didn't work. Anyway, I figured it out. I had to reset all my security settings though. This game means THAT much. :)

Good luck to everyone!!!

Excellent...we now have our last two champions in the fold, along with Jason Ross and Krista Blunk.

If you played last year and aren't signed up yet...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, THE SEASON STARTS PROMPTLY ON THE 6TH!!

If you didn't play last year and aren't signed up yet...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, THE SEASON STARTS PROMPTLY ON THE 6TH!!

If you know people who might be good to have play with us, get'um in here (unless they are better than me (which actually isn't that much of a challenge because I am pretty predictiable about my suckage for the first 10 weeks of the game)) we just have a few days left to get them signed up.

I'm turning over a new leaf tho, no Kelly Mazzante or [Insert Name of Bench Scrub That Nobody In Their Right Mind Would Play Here] for me to come blazing out the gates with. I'm throwing my traditional caution to the wind baby (so I'm not sittin at the end of the season with the likes of Tamika Catchchings and Candice Wiggins (x2) unused) It's the dawning of a new MBF day baby!!

Get Your Entries In

No worry, still pleeeeeeeeeeeenty of time for me to screw this up per usual. I'm figuring I may have gotten my one good week per season out of the way ;)

Recap of Week 1 by Weds....

Week One Results

We’re underway for 2009 and in our quick two-day week one, it was a quick sprint to the checkered flag, and what do you know? I edged out McScrooge in a eight-point lean at the tape (as I badly mix sports metaphors in one thought). The lean was actually thanks to a rather unusual sub-par day from Tamika Catchings for McScrooge. A normal Catch day would have paired nicely with the 50 pts she got from McCoughtry on Saturday.

For those of you new to the trials and tribulations of Pick One Challenge (as told/experienced by MBF), I’m usually in negative points after the first week. The winter rehab clearly has worked. I went with my vaunted double C.H. strategy with Holdsclaw and Houston to obvious favorable results. We’ll see what happens in week 2.

As far as notable trends and such go, a majority of our league exploded out of the gate with future hall of famers or league all-stars opening weekend -there was no eye towards conservation in our bunch. Chamique Holdsclaw, Tina Thompson, Diana Taurasi, Cappie Pondexter, Ticha Penicheiro, Sophia Young, Tamika Catchings, Katie Smith, Alana Beard all got the nod at some point.

We also made quick/early plays of this year’s rookie class Courtney Paris, Angel McCoughtry, Shavonte Zellous, Marissa Coleman, Kia Vaughn, Briann January, Renee Montomery. And we also clearly weren’t shy about using our Monarchs week 1. In addition to the other Monarchs mentioned, Hamchetou Maiga-Ba had her number called.

As you’ll note from the standings, it was a rough week for the KHTKers for the most part except for those named Scott Marsh and Jason Ross. Kevin Sherrets has apparently decided to employ Koz’ strategy from last season and not play anybody for the first couple of weeks? I sorta expected points from him after he made a point to point out to me how much a clever play on words/pronounciation guide his fantasy team name is. But who am I to argue, he might actually be employing a strategy that works.

Our top picks

Vets
(2) Tamika Catchings, Sophia Young, Erika DeSouza, Chamique Holdsclaw, Diana Taurasi

Rooks
(3) Angel McCoughtry

Awards time…

Week 1 Cup: Congratulations me!

I’m also giving out a new award, which will be the opposite of a new award I gave out last year. Jason Ross got burned by the Atlanta Snow flake as she earned 4 points by doing probably an eighth or ninth of what teammate Erika DeSouza …in the same double overtime game the night before. Gah.

Standings

1. Monty’sBiggestFan 66
2. mcscrooge 59
3. scotty’sangels - Scott Marsh 57
4. kingdom1 55
5. mdme 52
6. airfoil 46
6. mjcballer23 46
6. RDub21 46
7. Luv13Fan 45
8. COACH T IS A MACHINE - Jason Ross 40
9. admiral_needa 37
9. mamabristow 37
10. den-den777 33
10. NothinButHoops 33
11. supadupapimp 32
12. kreyn49 30
13 nancgo 24
14. KB for3! - Krista Blunk 19
15. KTHKSean- Sean Cunningham 6
16. My Boo is SICK - Kevin Sherrets 0

Good luck to all in week 2

Last edited:
Award Winner List

Weekly Cup Winner
Wk1. Monty'sBiggestFan
Wk2. Den-Den
Wk3. mdme
Wk4. Rdub21

It Ain't Easy Being Green Green Jacket
(lowest score of the week under triple digits)
Wk2. Sean Cunningham
Wk3. Kevin Sherrets
Wk4. Den-Den

Calaveras Leap Frog of the Week Award

(biggest jump in standings for week according to my subjective criteria since I can't remember what the original criteria for this award was)
Wk2. Den-Den, NothingButHoops
Wk3. Rdub21, Luv13Fan, mdme, Kreyn49,microbialgirl
Wk4. Luv13Fan, NothingButHoops and Supadupapimp

(De)Wanna Get Away ? Award
(playing DeWanna Bonner and making significant jump in the standings)
Wk.3 Rdub21, Luv13Fan, mdme, Kreyn49,microbialgirl

Billy Preston Nothin' from Nothin'Award
(best(?) pick of a player who scored zero fantasy points in at least 1 minute of floor time..rookies earn players this award...doubled)

Snowflake Award
(playing Michelle Snow and earning under double-digits for her "performance")
Wk1. Jason Ross

Anti-Snowflake Award
(playing Michelle Snow and actually earning 20+ fantasy points)

Last edited:
Congrats to you early front runners!
Nice to see you at the top MBF;)

Whats the deal with the points each week?
Will they wait to post them after each week is complete?

Weekly Cup Winner
Wk1. Monty'sBiggestFan

It Ain't Easy Being Green Green Jacket
(lowest score of the week under triple digits)

Calaveras Leap Frog of the Week Award
(biggest jump in standings for week according to my subjective criteria since I can't remember what the original criteria for this award was)

Billy Preston Nothin' from Nothin'Award
(best(?) pick of a player who scored zero fantasy points in at least 1 minute of floor time..rookies earn players this award...doubled)

Snowflake Award
(playing Michelle Snow and earning under double-digits for her "performance")
Wk1. Jason Ross

Anti-Snowflake Award
(playing Michelle Snow and actually earning 20+ fantasy points)
The Snowflake award made my day lol.

Week Two Results

We had tight races this week for the overall top spot and for the Week 2 cup and both came down to the wire, well sorta…the weekend at least. I didn’t keep track of how it all played out until Saturday so I’m not sure how much jostling took place during the week.

Welcome to microbialgirl who joined the league this week

Musical accompaniment is courtesy of my bad memory and Earth Wind and Fire. My bad memory because I forgot to write down something I thought of that seemed much more appropriate but now can’t remember…and EW&F for “Shining Star” since in our first full slate of activity everybody still went full tilt big ticket players all week. We’re going hard core this season! Yay us and our collective competitive drive!

As bizarro world continued….I spent another 6 days as the overall league leader until Sunday when RDub took me down playing Linsday Whalen to my Erika DeSouza.

For the Week 2 Cup, the three-way race between NothingButHoops (114), Krista Blunk (111) and Den-Den (110) was on after Friday night’s action – all three played big-ticket much of the week. With all three going with Lindsay Whalen on Sunday, it was Saturday’s choices that sealed Den-Den’s one point win. As Krista and NBH both played Sophia Young, Den-Den catapulted to victory on the +5 by Young’s teammate Becky Hammon.

Congrats to those who picked a player in the barn-burner Saturday night in Phoenix and those picking Sancho Lyttle on her big night replacing the enigmatic Michelle Snow in the Dream’s starting lineup on Sunday.

Our top picks…we had a few…including a lot of love for Whalen on Sunday. Our rookie train continued, albeit slower. DeWanna Bonner continued as the week’s top scoring rookie. We also got bit a few times this week by NPS aka No Player Selected and Shameka Christon’s appearance in street clothes tripped up a few who otherwise were on their way to solid weeks.

Vets
(10)No Player Selected
(8)Lindsay Whalen
(6)Lauren Jackson, Deanna Nolan, Cappie Pondexter, Katie Douglas
(5)Becky Hammon, Sophia Young
(4)Taj McWilliams-Franklin, Jia Perkins
(3)Charde Houston, Diana Taurasi, Shameka Christon/DND

Rooks
(6) DeWanna Bonner
(3)Angel McCoughtry

Awards Time

Congratulations Den-Den!

Calaveras Awards to our biggest jumpers NothingButHoops and Den-Den

Green jacket goes to KHTKer Sean Cunningham who was helped by Christon, DeLisha Milton-Jones and Laura Harper to this award...

Good luck in week 3 to all...remember to pick your players

Last edited:
Week Two Standings

Week 2

1 den-den777 163
2 NothingButHoops 162
3 KBFor3! 159 (Krista Blunk)
4 RDub21 156
5 mjcballer23 153
6 kreyn49 150
7 nancgo 149
8 airfoil 148
9 supadupapimp 139
10 Luv13Fan 137
11 Monty'sBiggestFan 133
12 My Boo is SICK 128 (Kevin Sherrets)
13 admiral_needa 117
14 mdme 111
15 kingdom1 102
16 mcscrooge 101
17 microbialgirl 94
18 COACH T IS A MACHINE 86 (Jason Ross)
19 mamabristow 79
20 scotty's angels 71 (Scott Marsh)
21 KHTKSean 68 (Sean Cunningham)

Overall Standings

1 RDub21 202
2 Monty'sBiggestFan 199
2 mjcballer 199
3 den-den777 196
4 NothingButHoops 195
5 airfoil 194
6 Luv13Fan 182
7 kreyn49 180
8 KBFor3! 178 (Krista Blunk)
9 nancgo 173
10 supadupapimp 171
11 mdme 163
12 mcscrooge 160
13 kingdom1 157
14 admiral_needa 154
15 My Boo is SICK 128 (Kevin Sherrets)
15 scotty's angels 128 (Scott Marsh)
16 COACH T IS A MACHINE 126 (Jason Ross)
17 mamabristow 116
18 microbialgirl 94
19 KHTKSean 74 (Sean Cunningham)

Last edited:

Today's random RX news....early reports confirm that Seimone Augustus will definitely not be available for Friday's game against Seattle.

Further unsubstantiated reports suggest that the knee injury she suffered in last night's game against Phoenix is season-ending.

Adjust your selections accordingly....