Fanfare Mag: Time flies when you are having fun

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/Time_Flies_Whe_You_Are_Having_-122640-58.html
---------------------
Former Kings Head Coach Jerry Reynolds Talks About The Kings Coming To Sacramento
Time Flies When You Are Having Fun
From FanFare Magazine, The Official Publication of the Sacramento Kings
By Jerry Reynolds

Before I signed my contract with the Kings in July of 1985, I was the head basketball coach at Pittsburg State, in Kansas. I had a previous association with the Kings because I was also the head coach at Rockhurst University in Kansas City, which is where the team practiced. It was their home away from home, and I was around all the time.

Back in those days the team had one assistant coach, so during camps I would help out wherever needed. Phil Johnson (the team’s head coach at the time) had always said if he could hire a second assistant, he’d like to hire me. Frank Hamblen was his first assistant (Hamblen is now with the Lakers). When the team moved to Sacramento, Phil was allowed to hire a second assistant, so I came with them from Kansas City. Although I had an association with the team, I never worked with them in KC.

Summer league started during the first part of July. It was a three-week league for rookies and free agents. We played a couple of games in Sacramento, as well as Golden State, Hayward, Portland and Seattle. Our two games here were played at American River College, which also is where we practiced.

The games were packed. Of course it was a small building with only a couple thousand seats, but it was full. Although there was a lot of excitement and energy surrounding the team at the time, I don’t think any of us knew then how well the team would be received. There was still concern because at that time ARCO 1 wasn’t completed, it was just a shell. In fact, they were just starting to put it together in July. Our offices were in a little cookie-cutter building across the street. All of the coaches were in one office, which really wasn’t even an office.

But despite the facilities, I was impressed. It was a new experience for me. It was the NBA, and I didn’t know quite what to expect.

There was never a love affair with the Kings in Kansas City. The Chiefs and Royals were the primary franchises in those days, and the Kings were secondary even though they had some good teams in KC. They were just never embraced.

It was amazing how well-received the team was here. Of course they were the first major league franchise in Sacramento. For the first game, Gregg Lukenbill, Joe Benvenuti and the owners decided to wear tuxedos, so A LOT of the fans decided to wear tuxes as well. It was really kind of a black tie event. David Stern, the NBA Commissioner was here that night and it was special in every way—except we got beat. We had a pretty good lead, and then lost it down the stretch of the game.

As we prepare for the 20th season in Sacramento, many things have remained the same. ARCO Arena is still the most exciting venue in the NBA. The difference now compared to then is that we win nearly every time we play there.

FanFare is the Official Publication of the Sacramento Kings and can be purchased at your local Raley's & Bel Air

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Ahhhhhh! Memories! 1985 was perhaps the most exciting year in my Sacramento days (and I lived there for 23 years). I tried to get to the game at AR, but with only a couple thousand seats, it was impossible to get a ticket.

I did make it to a couple of games in the inaugural season. What a blast that was! We stomped and stomped on those old wooden floors. When it came time to move to ARCO 2, I did not want to go. Oh, yeah, it was going to be better, but I had trouble giving up those old floors. :p

This is going to be a great year for the Kings. Sure, we have started off badly, and we have lots of work to do to get back to elite status form. But, compared to some of those early years, these last few years have been sheer heaven.

Some of you are impatient. I really do understand that. Us old timers that have been here since the beginning remember how it felt in those awful years. Awful in terms of our win-loss record. But, oh so proud, that we finally had a major sports team to love. And, oh we loved them even when they really sucked. Why? Because they were ours to love. OURS! We finally had a team. You youngsters really cannot imagine how that feels if you grew up always knowing that they were there.

Now, I am not comparing old and new fans. I am just pointing out that some of us, who are optimistic by nature anyway, remember those early years fondly. Yes, even though we lost many more games than we won.

It has been a wonderful 20 years. I hope to get back to Sacramento soon so that I can experience the next 20 years. They will be wonderful too. Win or lose, they will be wonderful. Why? Because we have OUR own team to love. Something that we did not always have. So, just remember that when impatience sets in. Be patient! Love your Kings! They will hopefully give you 20 years of enjoyment. Appreciate that and show your team that you appreciate them. Be the fan that other teams have always envied. Because we supported our team, win or lose, simply because they were there.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. It grips you. And, yes, in these last few minutes, I have really gotten carried away by it. So, please forgive this old lady for succumbing to it. But, I just wanted to share with you that...

I LOVE THIS TEAM!! and AT LEAST THEY ARE OURS TO LOVE!!

that is such a wonderful story 6th!!!! damn i just HAD to be born in 1985...... i missed some good times :) i hope you can move back to sacramento soon for your sake. the first 20 years were full of good times, the next 20 should be just as good if not better. i'd love to move to sac to be closer to the kings ( and tahoe ;) ) maybe someday i'll be able to.